Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How could you possibly know that?

I apologize. I should been more specific when I used "they". What I meant was the audience and not all I'm sure but, some.. Of course I don't know what those individual actors thought, except Clint. Yes, I am really Clint Eastwood.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:30 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

That's how great Coming to America is. Even people with shitty taste like it. 

My kids and I were flying home from Europe and my 12 year old finds Coming to America on the choice of movies offered for in-seat viewing.  We'd watched it at home before.  Anyway, he's in an aisle seat... he and I had both forgotten there are some titties in the beginning of the movie, in the bathtub "The royal penis is clean your highness" scene.  So he gets to that scene and there's the titties on the screen and my 12 year old watching them and laughing really loud because he realizes the absurdity of a kid watching that in full view of the passengers around him.  He's laughing so loud he's attracted the attention of a half dozen olds beside and behind us who can see his screen clearly.  So I elbow him in the shoulder and tell him to fast forward though that part.  But the United entertainment system isn't so user friendly.  He ends up accidentally pausing it on a nice clear screenshot of the two topless chicks in the bath.  So now I'm fumbling on his screen trying to fast forward it, without success,  and my kid is laughing even harder because the flight attendant has come up from behind and I'm getting "the look."  That one I hadn't had since divorcing his mom.  Good times.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

My kids and I were flying home from Europe and my 12 year old finds Coming to America on the choice of movies offered for in-seat viewing.  We'd watched it at home before.  Anyway, he's in an aisle seat... he and I had both forgotten there are some titties in the beginning of the movie, in the bathtub "The royal penis is clean your highness" scene.  So he gets to that scene and there's the titties on the screen and my 12 year old watching them and laughing really loud because he realizes the absurdity of a kid watching that in full view of the passengers around him.  He's laughing so loud he's attracted the attention of a half dozen olds beside and behind us who can see his screen clearly.  So I elbow him in the shoulder and tell him to fast forward though that part.  But the United entertainment system isn't so user friendly.  He ends up accidentally pausing it on a nice clear screenshot of the two topless chicks in the bath.  So now I'm fumbling on his screen trying to fast forward it, without success,  and my kid is laughing even harder because the flight attendant has come up from behind and I'm getting "the look."  That one I hadn't had since divorcing his mom.  Good times.

One of those topless beauties was Victoria Dillard. She also played Janelle, the mayor's assistant, on Spin City. 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Comedy is the one genre that is going to be the most subjective. And yes, it isn't funny to me. If others think it's the best movie out there, cool. It's just a movie. No biggie. But after seeing all the memes on here and quotes threads and hearing about, I expected a comedic masterpience as you mentioned. Anything but. I had to force myself to finish the movie. I kept waiting for it to be better but it never did and then I was already too far along to tap out.

Coming To America, now that's some funny shit to me.

I feel the same way about Dazed and Confused. Ok movie but not near the cult classic this place makes it out to be. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 11:17 AM, Hate said:

This is unpopular and wrong.  The Walmart/Heb hams can't come close to the greatness of Honey Baked Hams.  

New braunfels smokehouse is infinitely better. Honey Baked hams are good but overrated. 

https://www.nbsmokehouse.com/   Youre welcome

Edited by Eugene11

On 12/29/2018 at 4:59 AM, Crusher said:

Sometimes comedy has to be viewed in the time in which it was created. Considering the time Blazing Saddles was created it was hilarious. It made fun of the whole Hollywood western genre. Would John Wayne, Alan Ladd or Clint Eastwood have ever made a movie where the word "nigger" was spoken?  Of course not. But, they all where thinking it every time a black actor came on the screen .

Gene Wilder and Cleavon Little shoved it in their faces in a way that they couldn't deny it.  That was the brilliance of Blazing Saddles. And it was funny too.

Yep, it's like trying to tell youngsters what the cold war was like.  Opinions and attitudes have changed to point where many of the emotions of the times are almost inconceivable today.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Comedy is the one genre that is going to be the most subjective. And yes, it isn't funny to me. If others think it's the best movie out there, cool. It's just a movie. No biggie. But after seeing all the memes on here and quotes threads and hearing about, I expected a comedic masterpience as you mentioned. Anything but. I had to force myself to finish the movie. I kept waiting for it to be better but it never did and then I was already too far along to tap out.

Coming To America, now that's some funny shit to me.

CTA is funnny but not half as funny as Blazing Saddles.  It's probably a generational thing.  Satire is best comedy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I think Field of Dreams sucks.  I mean the acting sucks and the story sucks and the emotional reveal at the end is roll your eyes cheesy. 

It's also an absurdly comical, pandering, stereotypical display of life in Iowa.  I've never seen a local PTA try to ban books from the school library, and the idea that a guy farming for a living is going to walk out into a 200 acre cornfield and tend to his weed issues with a fucking garden hoe is, well, I can't even start with that shit.

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Eating off of waxed paper plates, during the week, isnt only for the poors and cholas.  I do it enough.  I like being able to throw that shit away and not create a mess.  Of course, no guest gets that treatment.  

Sure. It's a lot easier to throw garbage in a landfill than it is to clean a plate. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Fuck the environment. The alternative is lifting a finger. Who has time for that?

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Sure. It's a lot easier to throw garbage in a landfill than it is to clean a plate. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Fuck the environment. The alternative is lifting a finger. Who has time for that?

Ahem!

b08bdd58ae0254388c8bd01d2f435ef4.jpg

The chickens love it, too. We throw our paper plates in the coop, they clean off any scraps still sticking to the plates, and it turns into high quality garden soil within a month.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What environmental impact does it take to make a dishwasher, use electricity and use water.  Less than using a paper plate is my guess.  So, foku.  

• Like 1

I spent ten minutes explaining to an UT student that wants to ban all fossil fuels from cars that the inside of many electric cars are made from oil.  They declared that impossible, electric cars don’t use any oil even on the inside.  I showed them where on just their keyfob was made from oil.  

But the owners Facebook page for their particular  brand of car says their cars use no fossil fuels.