Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

too much military worship in our society when there really is no threat, main due to geography.  Get rid of the pregame NFL parade of soldiers, excessive flags, even the national anthem. Get rid of all of it.  I really don't give a damn about those overrated people, who are a huge drain on our taxes and end up doing much more harm than good.  We've been brainwashed our entire lives and it's time to overcome for the greater good. 

• Like 10
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

too much military worship in our society when there really is no threat, main due to geography.  Get rid of the pregame NFL parade of soldiers, excessive flags, even the national anthem. Get rid of all of it.  I really don't give a damn about those overrated people, who are a huge drain on our taxes and end up doing much more harm than good.  We've been brainwashed our entire lives and it's time to overcome for the greater good. 

I don’t think this is unpopular (on surly).

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t think this is unpopular (on surly).

surly is left-far left, not a good representation of the country. Still, i post some anti-military stuff occasionally but no one agrees. Post some anti-Trump and get lots of agreement. Meaning, no one has the guts to be openly anti military, even here (except me)

Edited by NowThis
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

My father stormed the beach at Normandy!!!!

23 minutes ago, NowThis said:

surly is left-far left, not a good representation of the country. Still, i post some anti-military stuff occasionally but no one agrees. Post some anti-Trump and get lots of agreement. Meaning, no one has the guts to be openly anti military, even here (except me)

I wouldn’t describe it as “far-left.” It’s squeaky wheel syndrome-whoever is out of power appears more numerous. The lefties were complaining it was a right wing echo chamber during the Obama years.

Anyway, I wasn’t referring to the more strident “anti-military” part of what you said, but the idea of its glorification, the national anthem at sporting events, etc. I’ve seen plenty of posters echo those sentiments.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

I wouldn’t describe it as “far-left.” It’s squeaky wheel syndrome-whoever is out of power appears more numerous. The lefties were complaining it was a right wing echo chamber during the Obama years.

Anyway, I wasn’t referring to the more strident “anti-military” part of what you said, but the idea of its glorification, the national anthem at sporting events, etc. I’ve seen plenty of posters echo those sentiments.

the right wingers are crowdsouced out, except for a handful. 

The hard core anti-military views are non existent here, except for me.  I'd like to see more of that. 

• Fuck You 3

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Not one country is a threat to the United States. None. But we feel the need to dictate the entire world. These troops are used like pawns in a big game. Then when they return, no one gives a shit about them except all the fake patriotism. We spend un godly amounts on the military. Think if we poured that money into resources that actually matter i.e. education, infrastructure, healthcare. And no, I don't feel the need to stand up and worship whatever random military guy you have at these sporting events. I don't care about them. Play the fucking game. The national anthem should only be played on opening days and championship games. Not every single sporting event created. Also, get rid of God Bless America.

But the powers in place have brainwashed so many into worshiping the military so all these people justify the spending on the military. "Hurrr durrr these troops are fighting for your freedom". No they aren't. They are over there to gain control on resources the US govt wants. They are not protecting me from shit.

wish i could +rep this like 1000 times. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yeah, I've never negrepped anyone here, but this page has convinced me of what I've suspected forever, but tried not to see cause I stay out of the cloak room. You guys are fucked in the head. I have no business being here. 

then leave.  You are aware this is the UNPOPULAR opinion thread right ma dude? 

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

Yeah, I've never negrepped anyone here, but this page has convinced me of what I've suspected forever, but tried not to see cause I stay out of the cloak room. You guys are fucked in the head. I have no business being here. 

Yeah, I was trying to take it out of cloak room territory and when he persisted, I dropped it. If you’re so hypersensitive that my comment draws a neg, you’re right-you don’t have any business here.

Probably not far-left, but definitely left. Of course the OSU board is unreadable due to the right wing nut jobs over there. I just want good debate from both sides with some reasonable ideas from the middle. I realize that's probably unrealistic.
  • Like 1

Jaime Pressly was just on the one I watched, she looked fucking amazing even all tatted up. Younger, hot Hilary Duff is coming up next. 

Never watched when it was original, but started catching reruns a few months ago. Comes on like four different channels at all hours, so pretty easy to catch up. Judith is fucking awesome. 

17 hours ago, NowThis said:

I posted the same thing in this thread months ago.  You are not alone.

My dad gets all worked up when he’s watching a game and they trot out some army dude to “surprise his family”.  Pops refers to it as “Oh, another little soldier boy reunion.”

I don't think the point was about adequate investment, though on that issue we are hugely over invested.  The point concerned the worshipful attitude that is now normatively enforced in this society regarding military, first responders, cops in general.  Without meaning to criticize any of these practitioners, for society this is not a healthy attitude.  Of course, health of society is not the aim of those leading this promotion.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At 3:00 am after a night of drinking, there are only two places to go.  One is the nearest Whataburger and the other is Ruchi's el Rincon de Mexico at Sage and Richmond.

Back in my younger days, it was Ruchi's because they would sell beer after hours.

I figured that this would be an unpopular opinion, but I assure you that I'm totally serious. 

I appreciate having an extra hour in the fall (as I think everyone probably does - no hot take there...) but I also appreciate having an extra hour of sun in the evening in the spring. Losing an hour of sleep one night doesn't do shit to me (erratic sleep schedule, often travel for work so time zones are just generalizations, and I have sleep apnea that's been dramatically improved with a CPAP over the past year or so) so I realize that I'm likely far less annoyed by the spring forward than others are. But how many people are still going to be bitching about it on Friday? If that's the case, I suggest those people just need to harden the fuck up. How long are you really affected by the time change? Three days, max? 

The amount (and hours) of sunlight one gets also obviously depends on one's latitude and longitude and location within a time zone, so adding one more pair of "forward and back" adjustments would likely require some careful consideration, and their effects wouldn't be uniform across the country, but I would absolutely sign up for another round of adjustments each year, at least in the abstract. 

Cool maps (including an interactive one) that chart DST and location here: http://andywoodruff.com/blog/where-to-hate-daylight-saving-time-and-where-to-love-it/

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

If a microwave or oven clock shows a distinction between AM and PM, I deliberately set it for the incorrect designation so that it will always annoy me, and at the same time, remind me to maintain perspective.

As a bonus, it's amusing to see which of your guests are also upset by it. Try it out. 

Don't do that with your alarm clock, however. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1

I put every clock in our home that has the setting to do so, on 24-hour time.  Invariably guests are bothered by it.  Maybe one day, they'll leave.  It's how the rest of the world tells time, not just the military.  Ask a 3-year old child how many hours in the day there are and they'll respond correctly, "Twenty-Four."  Then why the fuck do we need to count to 12 and start over, unless we're Larry the Cable Guy?  

Plus, I missed a meeting in El Paso once because I set my alarm for 7pm and not 7am, so from then on it was 1900hrs for 7pm, so even drunk me wouldn't mistake the alarm setting.  And yes, I spent a week there one night.  

I put every clock in our home that has the setting to do so, on 24-hour time.  Invariably guests are bothered by it.  Maybe one day, they'll leave.  It's how the rest of the world tells time, not just the military.  Ask a 3-year old child how many hours in the day there are and they'll respond correctly, "Twenty-Four."  Then why the fuck do we need to count to 12 and start over, unless we're Larry the Cable Guy?  
Plus, I missed a meeting in El Paso once because I set my alarm for 7pm and not 7am, so from then on it was 1900hrs for 7pm, so even drunk me wouldn't mistake the alarm setting.  And yes, I spent a week there one night.  

But how to deal with the separate volume knob?
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I figured that this would be an unpopular opinion, but I assure you that I'm totally serious. 

I appreciate having an extra hour in the fall (as I think everyone probably does - no hot take there...) but I also appreciate having an extra hour of sun in the evening in the spring. Losing an hour of sleep one night doesn't do shit to me (erratic sleep schedule, often travel for work so time zones are just generalizations, and I have sleep apnea that's been dramatically improved with a CPAP over the past year or so) so I realize that I'm likely far less annoyed by the spring forward than others are. But how many people are still going to be bitching about it on Friday? If that's the case, I suggest those people just need to harden the fuck up. How long are you really affected by the time change? Three days, max? 

The amount (and hours) of sunlight one gets also obviously depends on one's latitude and longitude and location within a time zone, so adding one more pair of "forward and back" adjustments would likely require some careful consideration, and their effects wouldn't be uniform across the country, but I would absolutely sign up for another round of adjustments each year, at least in the abstract. 

Cool maps (including an interactive one) that chart DST and location here: http://andywoodruff.com/blog/where-to-hate-daylight-saving-time-and-where-to-love-it/

You want an extra hour of sun in the evening? Leave work an hour earlier. Seems easier than changing the way society reckons time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, I'm going to sort of agree with my take that is actually Yin to Dooms Yang.

I fully support  a global 24 hour clock.

One time clock world wide.

What time is it? 18:42.

What time is the meeting? 19:42

No matter where you are you know the meeting starts in 1 hour.

SHIT!!!!!...WHAT MEETING? DAMMIT NO ONE TOLD ME DALDAMMUFUCSHIT

• Haha 1