Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

cinnamon toast crunch is absolute shit, and Golden Grahams is the second best cereal on that chart

I just figured they were pimping Cinnamon Toast Crunch over Golden Grahams because of the thread we’re in...on account of that being a horrific opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

I just figured they were pimping Cinnamon Toast Crunch over Golden Grahams because of the thread we’re in...on account of that being a horrific opinion.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Rimbo’s comment. I had no idea there were people so misguided that they didn’t like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. But when BBQ has been questioned, nothing should be surprising anymore.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

I had no idea there were people so misguided that they didn’t like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. 

It'd be a great cereal if it didn't transition into flaccid hog slop approximately 2.5 milliseconds upon coming into contact with milk.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Then they should stop making the cereal part because it sucks.

My sister got sick of finding boxes of LCs with nothing but the cereal left and found some site on the interwebs that sold just the marshmallow bits by the bagful.  Got baked over there one night playing games w/ old hs friends and damn near ate an entire bag. 

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

At least we're definitely back on topic with the thread.

And just to make the point:

* Some of my fondest memories of college involve our trips to County Line for all you can eat family style, to see how much we could eat. Our record was four platters... one for each of us.

* When I found out my favorite local BBQ joint went out of business, I cried.

* Probably the best blend of Texas and China from my marriage are the BBQ chicken quarters we make together. She does the marinade; I do the grilling (with smoke). Served these up at our way-too-large birthday party for my daughter's fifth and there were no leftovers.

your opinion is bad and you are bad if you don't like bbq

If you used a grill, it's not BBQ 

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

If you used a grill, it's not BBQ 

Really? *That's* your objection? I'd think the *first* objection would be the use of thighs and legs instead of the whole bird, given that's kind of the whole point of BBQ -- whole chunk, low and slow with smoke.

But c'mon. Not every piece of BBQ'd meat works on a spit, and you gotta put the meat on top of something if you don't have a spit. We still cook low 'n' slow with smoke.

Besides, around these parts, their idea of "BBQ" is cooking burgers and hot dogs. You wanna talk about shameful...

8 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

Good point.

6 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Rimbo’s comment. I had no idea there were people so misguided that they didn’t like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. But when BBQ has been questioned, nothing should be surprising anymore.

See, when your milk gets mucked up with cocoa from your Cocoa Puffs or Cocoa Pebbles or what have you, it's cool: Chocolate milk. And HNC honey getting in your milk is fucking Biblical. But that godawful nasty powdery bullshit that gunks up your milk from Cinnamon Toast Mumble is inedible. It's the consistency of February street sludge in Pittsburgh. Meanwhile you have these things that have the texture of a burnt open-cell foam sponge. If there wasn't a shit-ton of sugar on them they'd be inedible. As it is, it is sugary inedible shit.

And while I'm on a rant, I'm going to glare at Honey Nut Cheerios, despite my love of them. Because this is just like the McDonald's french fry thing. Back in my day, that shit was made with almonds. Now, they use "natural almond flavoring." You know what that is? It's peach pits, Eddie! They're putting fucking peach pit powder in there now! Fuck that shit. Fortunately, it's about the oats and honey more than it is about the nuts, but I ain't gonna pretend for a second that peach pit powder is somehow better than chopped almonds. Fuckin' hell man.

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

It'd be a great cereal if it didn't transition into flaccid hog slop approximately 2.5 milliseconds upon coming into contact with milk.

I wouldn't even go that far. It'd be a fair cereal if it that weren't the case. It'd still be sugary cinnamon-y burnt sponges.

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's ridiculous. You know the milk that's left in the bowl after all the cereal is gone? It doesn't get any better than Apple Jacks milk. 

cocoa milk is better and golden grahams milk and Honey Nut Cheerios milk is better

but apple jacks milk is goddamned good, it is

5 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

My sister got sick of finding boxes of LCs with nothing but the cereal left and found some site on the interwebs that sold just the marshmallow bits by the bagful.  Got baked over there one night playing games w/ old hs friends and damn near ate an entire bag. 

That is how my brother was growing up. I always thought everything about LC was disgusting

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you've given me the impetus to make a BM with soy sauce and vinegar this weekend

Knock yourself out. 

I love vinegar. I have at least a half dozen varieties in the cupboard. I have no idea how you're tasting vinegar in Worcestershire sauce. It's not tangy like vinegar. It is in the same family as soy sauce and fish sauce. 

Roast anything in a mixture of garlic, beer, horseradish, and Worcestershire. That kicks ass and the aroma is intoxicating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Knock yourself out. 

I love vinegar. I have at least a half dozen varieties in the cupboard. I have no idea how you're tasting vinegar in Worcestershire sauce. It's not tangy like vinegar. It is in the same family as soy sauce and fish sauce. 

Roast anything in a mixture of garlic, beer, horseradish, and Worcestershire. That kicks ass and the aroma is intoxicating. 

Worcestershire has that umami base with a bit of tang and acidity.

It's brighter to me than soy -- which is saltier, sweeter.  And its farther from fish sauce which is heavy and salty.

I was reminded the whole Worcestershire thing when going through my cupboard making the sauce for this - mixing sugar, soy, and a type of wine-vinegar. 

I've only ever used Worcestershire as instructed for beef jerky, and for burger patties, and i realize i dont even enjoy its contribution to those

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Worcestershire has that umami base with a bit of tang and acidity.

It's brighter to me than soy -- which is saltier, sweeter.  And its farther from fish sauce which is heavy and salty.

I was reminded the whole Worcestershire thing when going through my cupboard making the sauce for this - mixing sugar, soy, and a type of wine-vinegar. 

I've only ever used Worcestershire as instructed for beef jerky, and for burger patties, and i realize i dont even enjoy its contribution to those

I'll bet there's a fairly significant difference between the pH of vinegar and the pH of Worcestershire. I doubt you can use Worcestershire to clean a rusty iron pan. It's not that acidic. And there's a certain sweetness to it too. Are you using Lea & Perrins or some off brand shit?

If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's cool. But if you're mistaking it for vinegar then you might have to consider the possibility that your taste buds are defective. 

It goes great with beef. Sometimes I'll add a dash to the garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice that I use to 'marinate'/sauté asparagus. It goes well with garlic and butter and pretty much anything. Portobello mushrooms caps? Oh yeah. 

But, unlike vinegar, I'd never put it on my fried potatoes. 

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you've given me the impetus to make a BM with soy sauce and vinegar this weekend

Soy sauce isn't a bad addition to a BM.

One of the best things worcestershire sauce has given us is A1.  Obviously it's not for steak, but fuck it's good on anything that needs sauce.

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

This is the only thing I use it for. Never really understood what else you do with it. 

Yeah, I don't use it for much else either.  Although it goes pretty good on left over rice when you get Chinese take out (as an alternative to soy sauce).

9 hours ago, RPM said:

That Thing You Do!

Great movie. Liv Tyler is absolute smoke in it. 

And you motherfuckers need to put less milk in your CTC. Goddamn amateur hour in here. There are many breakfast cereals - there is only one CTC. 

26 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

This is the only thing I use it for. Never really understood what else you do with it. 

My dad used to smoke a very good brisket using a little Worcestershire Sauce (probably 1/4 cup for the whole brisket) on the brisket before applying a spice rub of salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder.  He also put a little in his mopping sauce.  

• Like 1

Pregame warm up before something nicer goes on the grill:

1) Cheap-ass NY strip to medium rare.

2) Slice into chunks, stick toothpicks in them.

3) French's yellow on a paper plate with 6 or 8 squirts of Lea & Perrins on top.

4) Dip chunks of cheap-ass NY strip into mustard/Worcestershire.

5) Profit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Now that you say it, I've mixed it into ground beef before making patties.

Along with chopped garlic, onion, jalapenos, and some Cavender's.

Yup. 

Cavenders seasoning, from Harrison, AR, is the tits on about everything. Even crinkle cut fries. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I'll cop to contempt prior to investigation re: the Blues Brothers. That movie has always looked so stupid to me that I've never seen it and wouldn't even for money.

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Jesus fucking Christ.

You got to learn not to talk that way in front of nuns.

• Like 2