Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think it's the opposite. People with the high dollar sports cars and the douchebag Beamer/Mercedes owners are always weaving in and out of traffic and driving like a fucktard.

I'll give you that. Merc/BMW are the worst offenders, but it feels like it's a big dropoff after that compared to mid 90s/2000s beaters. 

Edited by TXs

At the risk of this having been covered already, I fucking love mayonnaise. I feel like a lot more people abhor mayo than love it. I’m one that falls in the “can’t get enough of it” camp. 

Now, off to post in the “Things You’re Embarrassed to Admit”  thread to continue this topic. 

• Like 4

There's something soothing and therapeutic about that moment in a checkout line when you just give up on the idea that the idiots in front of you are going to figure out whatever mundane thing it is that's confusing them. When you flip from frustrated to amused? That right there is what happiness is all about.

• Like 1

People with shitty cars are the shittiest drivers.  The only thing worse than them are people with really nice cars.  And wimin

In my experience the people that have "baby on board" stickers are the worst drivers. Either they drive super slow or like fucking maniacs. If someone has that sticker on their vehicle there is a

19 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
21 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:
Fuck Legos

Haha.. somebody stepped on one

No I just hate them. They fucking suck. The old ones where you used your imagination were fine, but the kits that are supposed to be specific things can kiss my rebel dick. When my kids get them as gifts it's like I've been sent to prison. You have to spend an hour putting it together (the kids can't do it themselves), leaving you with a shitty toy you can't play with, that breaks, and then the kids are upset. I figure I put one kit together four or five times and then just throw it away while the kids scream like I am killing their puppy. 

No I just hate them. They fucking suck. The old ones where you used your imagination were fine, but the kits that are supposed to be specific things can kiss my rebel dick. When my kids get them as gifts it's like I've been sent to prison. You have to spend an hour putting it together (the kids can't do it themselves), leaving you with a shitty toy you can't play with, that breaks, and then the kids are upset. I figure I put one kit together four or five times and then just throw it away while the kids scream like I am killing their puppy. 
I buy my kids the generic color sets that are just random blocks and have no directions.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, Whatever said:

In my experience the people that have "baby on board" stickers are the worst drivers. Either they drive super slow or like fucking maniacs. If someone has that sticker on their vehicle there is a

Prius drivers. They all must be trying to squeeze the maximum mileage out of them by driving as slowly as possible.

• Like 1

Prius drivers. They all must be trying to squeeze the maximum mileage out of them by driving as slowly as possible.
In front of me right now is a Prius with a baby on board sign and "Texas A&M Mom" sticker. She's going 40 in a 60. Fucking aggy.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:42 PM, Helobious said:

I think some of our fans go a little over the top with their hatred of Cougar High for the 2001 bleacher fuckery. Some of the kids born on the day of that game are now weeks away from graduating high school. It’s probably time to let it go.

Foku

39 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Their cadence and delivery are very different. The only major similarity to me is use of one liners, which Wright didn’t exactly invent

He's totally Steven Wright redux. Doesn't mean he's not hilarious. He's certainly more Steven Wright than he is Henny Youngman. (Rodney Dangerfield was more in that style.) Mitch had the same kind of sedate, subdued, slow delivery, with eyes down, pacing around, with the same kind of abstract, off-the-wall humor. You couldn't name a predecessor whose act more closely resembles Hedberg's than Wright's.

I've never seen any newer comedians ripping off Mitch's cadence like you describe. 

He's totally Steven Wright redux. Doesn't mean he's not hilarious. He's certainly more Steven Wright than he is Henny Youngman. (Rodney Dangerfield was more in that style.) Mitch had the same kind of sedate, subdued, slow delivery, with eyes down, pacing around, with the same kind of abstract, off-the-wall humor. You couldn't name a predecessor whose act more closely resembles Hedberg's than Wright's.
I've never seen any newer comedians ripping off Mitch's cadence like you describe. 

I’m not talking about newer comedians. I’m talking about every dipshit on campus in my era that thought they were cool and adopted that persona.

Wright’s delivery was so wry and laconic. Hedberg was like some out of time 1940’s hipster. They both do one liners, but I just don’t hear much similarity.

This may be our “did the Stones influence Phish debate?” redux.

• 3 weeks later...
this probably isn't super unpopular around here, but the existence of the play Hamilton and the enthusiasm people show for it (especially that "it's coming to Texas!") irritates me
and I say that as someone who owns more than one NPR t-shirt

I’ll agree, but I’ve never been play/musical fan.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

this probably isn't super unpopular around here, but the existence of the play Hamilton and the enthusiasm people show for it (especially that "it's coming to Texas!") irritates me

It must be completely fucking terrible. And I can't believe that everybody has to sit around and pretend that it's not, no matter what. It's like Mutually Assured Destruction.

Do you love Hamilton? Yes, I love Hamilton! Everybody must love Hamilton!

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I took my daughter to see it on Friday night, fully expecting it to not live up to the hype.

I was wrong. It’s pretty damn great.

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

It must be completely fucking terrible. And I can't believe that everybody has to sit around and pretend that it's not, no matter what. It's like Mutually Assured Destruction.

Do you love Hamilton? Yes, I love Hamilton! Everybody must love Hamilton!

53 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

I took my daughter to see it on Friday night, fully expecting it to not live up to the hype.

I was wrong. It’s pretty damn great.

See? It's unbelievable.

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

My wife made me listen to the soundtrack once.  It was just pure dog shit to my ears.  I find the life of Alexander Hamilton fascinating and worth being aware of, but I don't want to sit through that shit.

I don't like musicals much in general though, either.

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's because you have a penis, probably.

Fair point.

I've seen a lot of people I assume have penises talk about how great Hamilton is, however.  I suppose they're probably just trying to maintain a favorable public image with the person they stick their penis in.

• Like 1

Isn't there a South Park episode where all of the guys start going to musicals because it ensures a BJ at the end of the night? 

Amazing how often SP nails culture like that. I have a hard time believing any (straight) guy that "loves" Hamilton. You mean your wife/girlfriend loves it so you have to pretend like it's great, too. Or, you got road head on the way back so your penis has tricked you into loving it. 

And all that said, there are some musicals that I like. I wouldn't pay to go see Wicked or Les Mis but I would never turn down a ticket. But for each of those there are probably 10 others I'd make up an excuse for to get out of. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1