Fort Worth Police Kill Woman Inside Her Own Home

Vic Mackey

So is it safe to assume the dude quit because he was going to be forced to answer IA questions and was going to be charged either way? Now he can just lawyer up and take his chances with a jury?

im sure that same texas ranger who said Guyger shouldn’t even face charges will be happy to testify that he was justified in spraying bullets into a dark house. 

^
bullshit.  He walks on a lesser charge.  Or gets convicted on murder and does 10 years, tops.  

This is far more egregious than Guyger, even if he was on the clock. No way they find an expert to say this shooting was by the books. He gets the murder wrap and goes away a minimum of 20 years. Would have been 30+ for you or me, but that is the only deference his badge will provide him.

19 minutes ago, George said:

So is it safe to assume the dude quit because he was going to be forced to answer IA questions and was going to be charged either way? Now he can just lawyer up and take his chances with a jury?

im sure that same texas ranger who said Guyger shouldn’t even face charges will be happy to testify that he was justified in spraying bullets into a dark house. 

How is he supposed to make it home safely unless he shoots at anything that moves? 

22 minutes ago, Genco said:

Could the lawyers on here opine on the Tarrant DA? 

I don't know what she's been like as a DA, but she was a real hard core, "tough on crime" district judge. And I mean that in the least complimentary way possible.

Her office sought and obtained the five year sentence for that dumb bitch that voted on felony probation.

I imagine she will bring a murder indictment due to political pressure,** if nothing else.  Not sure whether they'll sandbag the case.

Unlike Dallas County, I have much less confidence that a Tarrant County jury will convict, even on these facts, of murder.

**When I say political pressure, I mean forces outside Tarrant County.  As mentioned previously, Tarrant County is not "woke" at all.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I'm surprised they got it done so quickly. It only took 64 hours to arrest him after he recorded himself murdering that woman, and then we all got to watch him murder that woman. But we still had to wait for him to get arrested for murder. Even though the entire world watched him murder that woman.

Exactly.

He's a cop, so he gets a dumptruck load of benefit of the doubt.

You or I do the same?

Arrested on the spot and whisked away.

Can the law dogs comment of how him being on duty affects the murder case?  I feel very well informed about the legal definition of murder from the Guyger case (thanks!), but surely the cop will raise some defense related to being on duty and fearful for his life or some bullshit.  How does officer-in-the-line-of-duty affect the legal defense here?  

From The NY Times article: Since June, there have been six fatal shootings by police officers in Fort Worth.

god damn.

From the Washington post article: Jefferson is one of at least 709 people in the country who have been killed by police officers in 2019, according to a Post database that tracks such shootings. 

WTF is going on...

Edited by Tailgate

Texas lawdogs - is a $200,00 bail for murder low? High? About normal?

And I hope (hahahahahahaha) that an outside agency will be running the investigation.

I would have said the Texas Rangers but after the testimony given by that Ranger in the Guyger trial, I’m not that confident in them either.

035b86d711472f9adf85d78c4943371a.jpg

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

And I hope (hahahahahahaha) that an outside agency will be running the investigation.

I would have said the Texas Rangers but after the testimony given by that Ranger in the Guyger trial, I’m not that confident in them either.

Definitely low

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

4c9183c5e0326649c11e27a1544ec472.jpg

What do you bet that little snippet of a certificate in the bottom left corner is some kind of “I’M THE AWESOMEST COP EVER!” commendation?

Can't wait for the mugshot.

Wonder how many speaches he gave to those riding handcuffed in the back of his patrol car? 

Wonder what speech he saved for himself for being a murderer of an innocent person?

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

With FWPD having shot 7 people dead since June, I would hope the the fucking DOJ and FBI would be leading the investigation.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SameSame said:

It's Tarrant county, he's got a shot.  So to speak.

Yep.  The inherent community bias and jury pool ain't in favor of justice for white cops.

That said, I also think that the city and PD are going to do all they can to throw this individual cop under the bus -- why?  Because they want to make it look like this is one bad cop.  They do NOT want people digging in to the real history and culture of the FWPD and Tarrant County in general, because the truth out there, in the light of day....will be REALLY ugly.  The powers that be are going to try every gambit possible to keep the culture of the FWPD from becoming public/national knowledge.  They'll probably succeed.

So, I think this guy will likely be convicted, because the PD will WANT him to be convicted.  Because it's in their interest to distance themselves from him.  Some semblance of "justice" may be done with respect to this one cop.  But it will be done to avoid any justice being done with respect to the department that regularly produces officers like him.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if they record the dispatchers and what they tell cops on the street?  

If the dispatcher told him something other than a wellness check or added some language about crimes in that neighborhood, they may somehow try to use that in his defense.

From The NY Times article: Since June, there have been six fatal shootings by police officers in Fort Worth.
god damn.
From the Washington post article: Jefferson is one of at least 709 people in the country who have been killed by police officers in 2019, according to a Post database that tracks such shootings. 
WTF is going on...
And bootlicker cop supporters really think there is some war on cops and they do such dangerous work lmao. Back the Blue!!
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The way to look at bail is that a bail bond will cost 10% of the bail amount.  

It's true purpose is to put enough skin in the game to insure a defendant's appearance at trial.  A secondary and less legitimate purpose is to keep the dangerous behind bars pending trial (it's illegitiimate because if a person is too dangerous to be released, they shouldn't be granted bail at all).

That's probably a reasonable bail.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  The inherent community bias and jury pool ain't in favor of justice for white cops.

That said, I also think that the city and PD are going to do all they can to throw this individual cop under the bus -- why?  Because they want to make it look like this is one bad cop.  They do NOT want people digging in to the real history and culture of the FWPD and Tarrant County in general, because the truth out there, in the light of day....will be REALLY ugly.  The powers that be are going to try every gambit possible to keep the culture of the FWPD from becoming public/national knowledge.  They'll probably succeed.

So, I think this guy will likely be convicted, because the PD will WANT him to be convicted.  Because it's in their interest to distance themselves from him.  Some semblance of "justice" may be done with respect to this one cop.  But it will be done to avoid any justice being done with respect to the department that regularly produces officers like him.

While I completely agree that Tarrant County is not particularly woke, or conscious as a community of racial issues in the modern day, it's no worse than any other larger city in Texas historically.  No bigger city in Texas withstands much scrutiny of its racial record, but mostly it's the sort of neglectful, privileged, institutional racism rather than lynching and outright hostility (cool signs like Grand Saline and Greenville).

It definitely has that streak of redneck, pro-gun, pro-military, pro-cop that you encounter in smaller towns; as well as a goodly smattering of pearl-clutching blue hairs.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

While I completely agree that Tarrant County is not particularly woke, or conscious as a community of racial issues in the modern day, it's no worse than any other larger city in Texas historically.  No bigger city in Texas withstands much scrutiny of its racial record, but mostly it's the sort of neglectful, privileged, institutional racism rather than lynching and outright hostility (cool signs like Grand Saline and Greenville).

It definitely has that streak of redneck, pro-gun, pro-military, pro-cop that you encounter in smaller towns; as well as a goodly smattering of pearl-clutching blue hairs.

Your key word is 'historically."  FW is about 40 years behind Dallas and Houston (for example) in terms of race.  That is one SERIOUSLY segregated town, and from what I've seen, there's damned near ZERO crossover among ethnic groups.  White folks have their thing, black folks have their thing, hispanics have their thing.  And you don't see them together.  I remember going into a large mexican restaurant there a few years ago -- had to seat 200 people, and it was crowded.  But for the waitstaff, there wasn't a SINGLE non-white face in the crowd.  Not a one.  It was eerie.

FW seems to me to be the last of the good old segregated cities "because that's the way we all like it."  And when you look at the track record of FWPD and shootings.....they've got a problem, but because FW is an "under the radar" city in state and national consciousness (and FW is VERY self-conscious about that), they haven't had to endure much scrutiny about how archaic and F'd up things are.  That may change in the wake  of this shooting, and they aren't going to enjoy the process.

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know what she's been like as a DA, but she was a real hard core, "tough on crime" district judge. And I mean that in the least complimentary way possible.

Her office sought and obtained the five year sentence for that dumb bitch that voted on felony probation.

I imagine she will bring a murder indictment due to political pressure,** if nothing else.  Not sure whether they'll sandbag the case.

Unlike Dallas County, I have much less confidence that a Tarrant County jury will convict, even on these facts, of murder.

**When I say political pressure, I mean forces outside Tarrant County.  As mentioned previously, Tarrant County is not "woke" at all.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If she was a "tough on crime" judge and then put someone away for 5 years for illegal voting, wouldn't that indicate she's likely to prosecute this case aggressively? 

As to the murderer, I'm sure he won't testify that he shot through the window with the intent to kill (like Guyger), but I'd be absolutely shocked if he walks. 

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your key word is 'historically."  FW is about 40 years behind Dallas and Houston (for example) in terms of race.  That is one SERIOUSLY segregated town, and from what I've seen, there's damned near ZERO crossover among ethnic groups.  White folks have their thing, black folks have their thing, hispanics have their thing.  And you don't see them together.  I remember going into a large mexican restaurant there a few years ago -- had to seat 200 people, and it was crowded.  But for the waitstaff, there wasn't a SINGLE non-white face in the crowd.  Not a one.  It was eerie.

FW seems to me to be the last of the good old segregated cities "because that's the way we all like it."  And when you look at the track record of FWPD and shootings.....they've got a problem, but because FW is an "under the radar" city in state and national consciousness (and FW is VERY self-conscious about that), they haven't had to endure much scrutiny about how archaic and F'd up things are.  That may change in the wake  of this shooting, and they aren't going to enjoy the process.

I completely agree with your analysis here.  I just don't think you're going to uncover a lot of virulent racism in the recent history.  Just the neglectful kind. Deliberate indifference.  The big difference there is that, for whatever reason, no one is talking or screaming about it.  No Al Lipscomb, Diane Ragsdale, John Wiley Price. It's not that they're brutally suppressed, it's  . . . just  . . . not  . . . a thing there.

One of the factors I think is that it's just not that political there.  The Basses kind of kindled a resurgence with Sundance Square and the two buildings downtown that's kind of taken on a life of its own (it's gotten pretty nice there), it wasn't a city-driven thing.  They just kind of kick back and grease the squeaky wheels.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FW is about 40 years behind Dallas and Houston (for example) in terms of race.

I’m not saying you’re wring about Fort Worth but you’re throwing around a lot of anecdotal observations and labeling a whole city.

Especially when the wheels of justice have moved relatively quickly on this horrifying shooting.

The mayor has set up for an independent review of the police force and I personally know city leaders that reach across racial and economic lines to build community.

This "police officer" is either a complete moron or a blood hungry psychopath who sought a legal means to kill people. 

He answers the call and proceeds to attempt secure the house solo. That tells me either one of two things:

1. He is a poorly trained moron that lacks any kind of tactical awareness or decision making. If you actually perceive a threat inside an unfamiliar closed structure, there is no better way to suicide yourself than to attempt to clear the building, or walk in front of windows/openings attempting to investigate it without backup. If someone inside is waiting to greet you with hostile intent, you do not present yourself to a fatal funnel. Again, assuming he actually perceived some kind of threat or misinterpreted the nature of the call, he should've called for backup. One would hope someone more senior and experienced would handle this situation properly. The selection and training process for police officers is incredibly maligned. Also, there should be SOPs for entering or investigating private property that doesn't involve Tactical Timmy trying to do it solo. Fucking ridiculous.

2. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and was trying to press the situation in hopes of escalating it enough to justify using deadly force. This seems more likely, given the report stating the "Let me see your hands" warning followed by immediate shots. Jail for for life is not enough for this psychopath. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

I’m not saying you’re wring about Fort Worth but you’re throwing around a lot of anecdotal observations and labeling a whole city.

Especially when the wheels of justice have moved relatively quickly on this horrifying shooting.

The mayor has set up for an independent review of the police force and I personally know city leaders that reach across racial and economic lines to build community.

You're right in that I tossed out anecdotal observations.  But there's a crapload more there than just my anecdotes - anyone who has observed FW over the years knows that theirs is a long-term and persistent issue.  See, e.g. https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article209080139.html

An interim report by the City of Fort Worth Race and Culture Task Force showed that frequent conversations with community residents revealed the problem "is systemic, structural, and institutional racism, not simply personal or individual behavior."

According to the report, residents are concerned that "city leaders have failed to acknowledge this problem, causing victims of racism to feel unheard and causing perpetrators of racism to feel empowered."

On the one hand, good on the City of FW for actually beginning to acknowledge and face this truth.  But then, look at the date -- that's just from last year.  FW is WAY behind the curve.  And of course, this is far from the first racially-charged incident with FW police....even if we only look back over the last couple of years.

FW and its power structure is almost entirely white, and they've purposefully kept it that way.  The reckoning is not going to be pretty.

• Like 1

When I lived in Fort Worth, for most of the 90s, I was pretty unhappy there and spent a lot of time trying to figure out why.**  The city is nice enough by all outward measures and young (and old) marrieds tended to be happy there, but young singles not so much.  Even the natives that I knew from UT acknowledged that it just wasn't an ideal place for recent college grads.

Back then, at least, the city lacked a certain "dynamism" present in Dallas and Austin.  

I think it has improved on that front and perhaps social consciousness is part of that.  You didn't see that kind of article Brisket quoted in the Statesman, the DMN, the Chronicle or the Post back then.

**one major reason was that I was drinking myself into oblivion, but the rest is still applicable

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

This "police officer" is either a complete moron or a blood hungry psychopath who sought a legal means to kill people. 

He answers the call and proceeds to attempt secure the house solo. That tells me either one of two things:

1. He is a poorly trained moron that lacks any kind of tactical awareness or decision making. If you actually perceive a threat inside an unfamiliar closed structure, there is no better way to suicide yourself than to attempt to clear the building, or walk in front of windows/openings attempting to investigate it without backup. If someone inside is waiting to greet you with hostile intent, you do not present yourself to a fatal funnel. Again, assuming he actually perceived some kind of threat or misinterpreted the nature of the call, he should've called for backup. One would hope someone more senior and experienced would handle this situation properly. The selection and training process for police officers is incredibly maligned. Also, there should be SOPs for entering or investigating private property that doesn't involve Tactical Timmy trying to do it solo. Fucking ridiculous.

2. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and was trying to press the situation in hopes of escalating it enough to justify using deadly force. This seems more likely, given the report stating the "Let me see your hands" warning followed by immediate shots. Jail for for life is not enough for this psychopath. 

He wasn't solo though.  You can clearly see a female officer with him before he goes through the gate into the yard at the rear of the home.

12 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

He wasn't solo though.  You can clearly see a female officer with him before he goes through the gate into the yard at the rear of the home.

The female officer was obviously busy with going through the trunk of the cruiser looking for the correct bag of dope to throw down for her to be a factor.

So, he was indeed solo.

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When I lived in Fort Worth, for most of the 90s, I was pretty unhappy there and spent a lot of time trying to figure out why.**  The city is nice enough by all outward measures and young (and old) marrieds tended to be happy there, but young singles not so much.  Even the natives that I knew from UT acknowledged that it just wasn't an ideal place for recent college grads.

Back then, at least, the city lacked a certain "dynamism" present in Dallas and Austin.  

I think it has improved on that front and perhaps social consciousness is part of that.  You didn't see that kind of article Brisket quoted in the Statesman, the DMN, the Chronicle or the Post back then.

**one major reason was that I was drinking myself into oblivion, but the rest is still applicable

No it sounds like it’s still the same as when you were here. It’s slow, boring, rural, and lacks dynamism. And I love telling Fort Worthians that. I can sense the insecurity, especially when I tell them I’m from Austin.