Mexican

Jack Straw

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Their fajitas and queso aren't bad.

Although I don't understand bitching about non-wood-fire grilled fajitas. Give me a hot even grill 10 times out of 10. This ain't BBQ.

For the sale reason I’d rather have a wood-fired steak than one seared on a flattop

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

song GIF

I typically do a reverse sear, smoking the steak at low temp then finishing on cast iron preheated on the grill.  But if I had to choose just searing on a flattop or wood-fired, it’s wood fired every time.  Just for me, better flavor.  Same with fajitas.

6 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I typically do a reverse sear, smoking the steak at low temp then finishing on cast iron preheated on the grill.  But if I had to choose just searing on a flattop or wood-fired, it’s wood fired every time.  Just for me, better flavor.  Same with fajitas.

Hank Hill would disapprove. 

Serrano's serves something worth eating?  That's news to me.  That place sucks giant dick.

I’ve been sampling TexMex my entire life across all four major cities and we finally went to Serranos in Austin. I was expecting bad food given the reviews on here but their standard enchiladas rice beans sauce and chips hot sauce was not too far off standard low brow texmex fare. It wasn’t great but I can eat it.

It’s better than texmex outlets that stray too far from the standard. I hate that. I favor that standard chili sauce, enchilada construction. Still haven’t found the Austin location that can compete with any of the other three cities have to offer since I’ve been back in town here. San Antonio ahead by far, then Houston, then Dallas, and Austin last, but probably it’s because I haven’t found 2-3 places yet that are good.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve been sampling TexMex my entire life across all four major cities and we finally went to Serranos in Austin. I was expecting bad food given the reviews on here but their standard enchiladas rice beans sauce and chips hot sauce was not too far off standard low brow texmex fare. It wasn’t great but I can eat it.

It’s better than texmex outlets that stray too far from the standard. I hate that. I favor that standard chili sauce, enchilada construction. Still haven’t found the Austin location that can compete with any of the other three cities have to offer since I’ve been back in town here. San Antonio ahead by far, then Houston, then Dallas, and Austin last, but probably it’s because I haven’t found 2-3 places yet that are good.

Shiiiit I wouldn't put Dallas texmex above Austin. Mexican overall, probably. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

💯

please tell me the magical Dallas places I can get a plate of greasy enchiladas as good as Dart Bowl, Y Mas or even Maudies.  

Herrera's Cafe, the location currently on Sylvan, for starters.  They also have a righteous menudo on the weekends.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Herrera's Cafe, the location currently on Singleton, for starters.  They also have a righteous menudo on the weekends.

Went to Herrera’s on Maple multiple times, been going to Ojeda’s since I was 5 year old, and been to Avilla’s half a dozen times as well. None of them stick out for amazing enchiladas in the vein of EyMas. 

I think I got so burnt out on Maudie's in my childhood that I came to regard it as inferior TexMex. And I've had plenty of average meals there. 

But it's a classic texmex offering and I was reminded of that tonight. It's not trying to be anything other than what it is - and they really do have cheese enchiladas down to a science.

Sometimes you have to remind yourself where you come from. 

I took about a 10-year hiatus from Maudie's.  But started going to their one in Bee Caves on my way to new office last year.  And I've gotta say, it's a lot better than I remember or then it used to be.  One or the other. But it's gone from C to B for me.  The salsa is really good now as well.  

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Deej said:

Eldorado is just west on Anderson..

Yep, we're regulars.  We know Joel from music & school connections.  Great joint.

We stuck with Enchiladas Y Mas -- holy shit, that's the gold standard.  We both got the Enchiladas con Queso (cheese with beef, onions, and more cheese).  I believe I saw God.  I mean, that is the most decadent delicious, heart-stopping Tex-Mex dish in town, and if it isn't, don't point me to a better one because I'll be dead in a year.

Plus, their table salsa is even hotter and better than before.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Saw where the chef at El Naranjo won the James Beard for best chef in Texas

I ate there once years ago, at the old location, and I was not impressed at all. It was also weirdly expensive. I remember the chicken mole being over $40. Anyone been there in the past year? Is it better now?

15 hours ago, Deej said:

So, they opened a place called "Baklava House" next to the Maudie's on North Lamar. They claim to be a dessert buffet.

I'm going to get so fat.

that place has been there for a few months...i've never seen anyone in there. went in there once and they gave us free samples of basically everything they had. baklava was by far the best thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

La Mancha is solid. I liked Jorge's when it was there, too.

Jorge’s had good margaritas and salsa. But the food started getting meh, and I thought La Mancha was a big upgrade when it took over the space.

I wouldn’t call it underrated or overrated. “Solid” is as good a word as any. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Y Mas appears to be down for the count. They closed for a day in early June for AC repair and have not reopened. Either the sign was taken down or knocked out.

Fake news.

Ate there Thursday for lunch. They’re closed Sundays and Mondays. The sign is busted aF doe.

Jorge’s had good margaritas and salsa. But the food started getting meh, and I thought La Mancha was a big upgrade when it took over the space.

Go on Friday night, and have a drink with Stanley Jo. They’re there every Friday. We just went there tonight for a cousin’s birthday. Yeah, it’s….solid.

Tried to go tonight (WED) and it was closed. On social media people were asking if they’re closed for good.

Aye, now that JJ mentioned it, there was a sign up inside saying they were closing for a week or so.

We can’t lose those cheese enchiladas and margs!!!
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

There aren't many active threads on this forum so I figured I'd just bump something fairly relevant near the top.

There's a Mexican-Asian/Korean/Fillipino? fusion place near my job in Oak Hill that I fucking love and am starting to think is one of the best restaurants in Austin for the price. It's called Chinos and I'm not sure of the official name because the website says Hacienda (https://chinoshacienda.com/) but the restaurant sign says Bandidos. One or the other. 

I've had a few things now - both of the chicken rice bowls, the veggie rice bowl a few times, and the taco combo plate with kimchi fries - I got a fajita beef and a pork belly taco. There's maybe stuff here and there about the dishes that I don't love but for the most part it's pretty fucking good food and you can eat well for under $15 (makes a great lunch to-go). The rice bowls with meat come with a "taquito" which is basically like a lumpia/egg roll type deal and a fried egg on top. Their salsas are good (very much Mexican style) and they serve the taquito with an Asian style sweet chili sauce. 

I've gotten the veggie bowl a couple of times when I'm wanting something healthy but still need a good meal. It's rice, black beans, a fried egg, avocado, mushrooms, kimchi and sprouts. The last time I added queso. It blows something from, say, Cabo Bob's out of the water.

Basically everything is made short-order from the back - there's one guy working a huge flat top - doing meat, eggs, veggies (pretty much all roasted on there) and then there's another lady taking your shit straight off the grill and assembling it before handing it to you. 

The taco plate I got was $13 and the tacos aren't huge but bigger and more substantial than a typical Mexican street taco. The kimchi fries I got it with were basically thick cut home fries gotten really crispy on the grill and served beneath kimchi with a orange, mayonaissey sauce that's well flavored and ratioed. It was plenty of food.

Basically - this place is badass and the people running it seem like good people. And you can eat amazing for less than $20. It's been one of the most refreshing restaurant experiences I've had in awhile. Not surprising as there are a lot of bad restaurnts in this city. Anyone in the area I'd recommend you give it a try and I'd say it's also going a bit out of your way to check out. 

google maps link so y'all can see where it is https://goo.gl/maps/YUuT5gGAice2vjGHA

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

A couple of things about it remind me of Magnolia cafe at its best. The fresh, simple shit served hot without frills. You can get chips and salsa and queso - you can get some cheesy 1500 calorie bullshit - you can get something healthy but with some substance to it.

But it's obviously more complex and adventurous. 

Damn. That sounds awesome and I need to check it out. Reminds me of the place on 6th Street in the early 90s named El Chino, that had all you can eat Mexican and Chinese food lunchtime buffet.

And some potent blue drink they called a Skaggs Alpha Beta. Great place for a get drunk off your ass happy hour and cheap dinner.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:39 PM, ztejas said:

There aren't many active threads on this forum so I figured I'd just bump something fairly relevant near the top.

There's a Mexican-Asian/Korean/Fillipino? fusion place near my job in Oak Hill that I fucking love and am starting to think is one of the best restaurants in Austin for the price. It's called Chinos and I'm not sure of the official name because the website says Hacienda (https://chinoshacienda.com/) but the restaurant sign says Bandidos. One or the other. 

I've had a few things now - both of the chicken rice bowls, the veggie rice bowl a few times, and the taco combo plate with kimchi fries - I got a fajita beef and a pork belly taco. There's maybe stuff here and there about the dishes that I don't love but for the most part it's pretty fucking good food and you can eat well for under $15 (makes a great lunch to-go). The rice bowls with meat come with a "taquito" which is basically like a lumpia/egg roll type deal and a fried egg on top. Their salsas are good (very much Mexican style) and they serve the taquito with an Asian style sweet chili sauce. 

I've gotten the veggie bowl a couple of times when I'm wanting something healthy but still need a good meal. It's rice, black beans, a fried egg, avocado, mushrooms, kimchi and sprouts. The last time I added queso. It blows something from, say, Cabo Bob's out of the water.

Basically everything is made short-order from the back - there's one guy working a huge flat top - doing meat, eggs, veggies (pretty much all roasted on there) and then there's another lady taking your shit straight off the grill and assembling it before handing it to you. 

The taco plate I got was $13 and the tacos aren't huge but bigger and more substantial than a typical Mexican street taco. The kimchi fries I got it with were basically thick cut home fries gotten really crispy on the grill and served beneath kimchi with a orange, mayonaissey sauce that's well flavored and ratioed. It was plenty of food.

Basically - this place is badass and the people running it seem like good people. And you can eat amazing for less than $20. It's been one of the most refreshing restaurant experiences I've had in awhile. Not surprising as there are a lot of bad restaurnts in this city. Anyone in the area I'd recommend you give it a try and I'd say it's also going a bit out of your way to check out. 

google maps link so y'all can see where it is https://goo.gl/maps/YUuT5gGAice2vjGHA

I live just up William Cannon from it.  Kimchi chicken nachos slam. The chicken adobo taco and bowl are both really good as well.

It's funny you brought it up because I was recently talking to a neighbor and they asked if I had tried the new place by Via because the tacos are so good.  I think it has been there for 7 years.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, Armybrat said:

Underrated neighborhood TexMex place on Hancock - La Mancha.

My cardiologist isn’t going to like this…. 
(I deleted the refrieds and opted for the rice)

22F10E42-023D-4A17-A240-A5EBCCF23B1B.jpeg

On 6/22/2022 at 8:04 PM, ztejas said:

La Mancha is solid. I liked Jorge's when it was there, too.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:21 PM, South Austin said:

All of you have terrible taste, and should be ashamed of that. I've tried La Mancha several times, and each time, it gets worse. It has no redeeming qualities.  And on top of that, the drinks are terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We went to La Mancha last night, because Valentine's Day, and my wife wanted to go there.

It was not great.  I got some sort of 3-taco chicken tinga plate, and it was so soggy I had to eat the thing with a knife and fork.  Their table salsa is awful, pretty much just canned tomatoes with enough jalapeno to add decent heat but utterly bland flavor-wise.

My Shiner Bock was on point.