Next Texas Coach

Girdwood

The Bellmont Brain Trust (and I use that term loosely) fixated on Herman in year two of Charlie and ignored all red flags -- losses to Navy, SMU and UConn -- and the fact that Herman rode the back of a great small college QB and a generational d-lineman whose recruitment he won by having his brother on the roster. (Oliver flat out said he regretted his decision and would rather have gone to LSU. Had he done so, Herman would still be at UH, unless they fired him too.)

Yes, he was a rising young talent, but he never should have been considered The Guy, to the exclusion of any other candidates, the way he was, and its apparent some of y'all still think he is The Guy. And maybe he will be. It's still too soon to tell, but it's hard for me, right now, to feel confident about some great leap forward coming next year, and even harder to not pencil in Baylor and ISU in the loss column this year. 

But say we don't win conference next year or make a NY6 bowl. Barring 7 or fewer wins, Herman should be retained, if only because you just can't go around firing coaches every three or four years unless you want to be Tennessee or pre-Saban LSU. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok yea he couldn't get over the saban/ bama hump in the end, just like everyone not named dabo.

He still put out defenses with NFL talent all over the field and his LSU teams were always top 10

Actually, he hadn't finished in the top 10 at LSU in any of his last four years. He'd peaked there and gone a little down hill. which is why there was sufficient discontent to dispense with him. 

He's definitely a good coach, but hardly flawless.

8 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Have you not watched this team under Herman? No one is going to "buttfuck" this football team. We will play up or down to our opponent. 

Could we lose to Baylor? Sure, but if OU didn't "buttfuck" us, Baylor certainly won't. I don't think Tech even needs to be addressed. 

Last week's game was about as one sided as you can get in a 7 point game. We were outcoached, out physicaled on both ends and Lamb toyed with this defense. We got our asses kicked last week and Baylor has enough in the passing game to exploit our back end, better pray that guys get healthy by then. And I don't think we should overlook Tech, hell we can't overlook anybody right now. 

We play up or down to our opponents for the most part of Herman's tenure sure but this year the team as a whole is regressing as the games go on. That shit is going to cost us another game or two this season. It's not just a simple case of guys being injured, they look like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing out there on defense half the time, that's coaching.

• Like 1

The best indicator of good coaching is how they do in 2 areas, special teams and penalties. Bill Snyder was a great example of this, along with a few others. Texas is at the bottom of the B12 and near the bottom of college FB in both. The absolute worst in punt returns in the country. Let that sink in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Okay but you have to give him credit for recruiting the players on the field. Coaching is one thing, getting the bodies on campus is another. 

WHAT DOES IT FUCKING MATTER IF WE HAVE TOP 5 RECRUITING CLASSES IF THEY ARE SO POORLY COACHED THAT FUCKING JUCOS CAN BEAT THEM.

7 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

Why is everyone forgetting how many shit show performances we had last year before that Sugar Bowl win? We looked like crap most of the year against crap teams but no one gave a shit because we beat OU and Georgia. It doesnt matter how bad you looked if you win, especially for teams already out of playoff contention. Maybe the defense shows up when some of our injured playmakers come back.

This isn’t fucking sustainable and it will eventually catch up to you.

34 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

The best indicator of good coaching is how they do in 2 areas, special teams and penalties. Bill Snyder was a great example of this, along with a few others. Texas is at the bottom of the B12 and near the bottom of college FB in both. The absolute worst in punt returns in the country. Let that sink in.

The best indicator of good coaching is actually wins.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

This is retarded

2 minutes ago, lulz said:

The best indicator of good coaching is actually wins.

Not of your talent sucks. Bill Snyder was never going to win a NC at KSU, but he was at least in the mix. The best indicator really is how well you do with the talent you have, do you overachieve or underachieve. Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy are other examples. Maybe not this year because their talent has dropped so. And it may not be the best indicator of overall team leadership if they can't recruit the best players, but it is the best indicator of ability to coach up the players you have.

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah, that play at 8 seconds was fucking crazy

That and the first 4th down attempt.  I was screaming at the TV to punt and pin them deep.  Why take a chance of giving them the ball on your side of the field?  I mean it was 4th and a long 2, not exactly a gimme...unless you're playing our D and can just pick up 30+ yards.

Come to think of it I guess that's why they did it.  Probably worked like a charm in practice.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

These threads are such cancer. Tom is our guy. He needs a better staff around him and he for sure needs a deeper, more experienced roster. But looking at the bigger picture:

• Immediate turn around year 1 in winning a bowl game and going above .500
  • 10 wins in year 2 including a NY6 bowl win (an ass whipping against Georgia) and a win against OU in the Cotton Bowl
  • 5-2 right now in year 3 - with our 2 losses against 2 of the best 5 teams in college football

I get it. He plays games tight that shouldn't be tight. But fuck, he actually wins, and compared to late Mack and Charlie that is a breath of fresh air. 2020 is our year. It always was our year. 2018 and 2019 are building years. We're young and we're banged up this year. Last year we still had Chuckles stink on the roster. Next year if we aren't blowing out shitty teams and finishing at worst 11-1 then maybe we start looking.

But as of now, Tom is doing what he should be. It's amazing how quickly we get spoiled after being such dogshit for so many years. Just win and move on. 10-2 is on the table. B12 title is on the table. Another Sugar Bowl is on the table. 

Hook 'em Horns and let's move on to next week, try and get healthy and fuck up TCU's bitch ass. 

Holy fuck I wake up to see this is the most popular post of the night. Unreal.

”But as of now, Tom is doing what he should be.”

He should be needing a last second field goal to beat Kansas after giving up 1,000 yards of offense?

Folks, you’re doing it again. You’re ignoring or excusing horrible coaching. Again. Wake up.

Things aren’t where they should be. That team you saw in a dog fight with FUCKING KANSAS is exactly what we are...a bad football team once again have historically bad performances. That will be clear to some of you at the end of the season after a handful of other terrible performances and losses to less talented teams when he is forced to gut his staff to try and save his tenure here.

sidenote:

if you find yourself reading the quoted post and thinking “yeah, that guy knows what he’s talking about” take a second to digest the fact he said the guy that accounted for almost 500 all purpose yards on offense had a “terrible night”. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Holy fuck I wake up to see this is the most popular post of the night. Unreal.

”But as of now, Tom is doing what he should be.”

He should be needing a last second field goal to beat Kansas after giving up 1,000 yards of offense?

Folks, you’re doing it again. You’re ignoring or excusing horrible coaching. Again. Wake up.

Things aren’t where they should be. That team you saw in a dog fight with FUCKING KANSAS is exactly what we are...a bad football team once again have historically bad performances. That will be clear to some of you at the end of the season after a handful of other terrible performances and losses to less talented teams when he is forced to gut his staff to try and save his tenure here.

sidenote:

if you find yourself reading the quoted post and thinking “yeah, that guy knows what he’s talking about” take a second to digest the fact he said the guy that accounted for almost 500 all purpose yards on offense had a “terrible night”. 

1,000 yards? Herman's exact quote was "terrible night"?

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

These threads are such cancer. Tom is our guy. He needs a better staff around him and he for sure needs a deeper, more experienced roster. But looking at the bigger picture:

• Immediate turn around year 1 in winning a bowl game and going above .500
  • 10 wins in year 2 including a NY6 bowl win (an ass whipping against Georgia) and a win against OU in the Cotton Bowl
  • 5-2 right now in year 3 - with our 2 losses against 2 of the best 5 teams in college football

I get it. He plays games tight that shouldn't be tight. But fuck, he actually wins, and compared to late Mack and Charlie that is a breath of fresh air. 2020 is our year. It always was our year. 2018 and 2019 are building years. We're young and we're banged up this year. Last year we still had Chuckles stink on the roster. Next year if we aren't blowing out shitty teams and finishing at worst 11-1 then maybe we start looking.

But as of now, Tom is doing what he should be. It's amazing how quickly we get spoiled after being such dogshit for so many years. Just win and move on. 10-2 is on the table. B12 title is on the table. Another Sugar Bowl is on the table. 

Hook 'em Horns and let's move on to next week, try and get healthy and fuck up TCU's bitch ass. 

The only difference between this KU game and the one we lost is that we didn’t turn it over 6 times.  Last night isn’t some evidence of improvement.  Stop blaming Charlie’s recruits, seeing as how our best defensive tear was the won the the fewest TH signees.

Would you like to discuss special teams and penalties?  Where does that blame traditionally land.  I think we have had 3-5 glaring, egregious and fundamentally flawed ST miscues this season.

And fuck off with the injury excuses.  Those weren’t good enough 6 years ago and they still aren’t.  Our “B Team” (which this wasn’t) should never need a last second FG to come back and win against KU AT HOME.  24 points given up in the 4Q?  Fuck that.

Finally, you are so dismissive with the “sure he needs a better staff” comment.  That’s a MAJOR FUCKING PROBLEM.  Don’t make me remind you of Shawn Watson as an example of how a bad staff hire can ruin shit.   

*  Be clear...TH has not even in the same discussion of shitty HC performance as what Strong was here.  But “he’s better than Mack and Charlie” is so Fucking far from what our standard should be.  Don’t be the chick who puts up with the serial cheating boyfriend, because “at least he doesn’t beat me like the last guy.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slade said:

ThatIt's not just a simple case of guys being injured, they look like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing out there on defense half the time, that's coaching.

That has been the case for pretty much the entire MensaTime, so far. It's because they don't know what they're supposed to be doing, half the time - or more. 

Worse than that, though, is that they're starting to look like they don't give a shit, either. Last week's Sam quote about over-complexity seemed like a shot at MensaTodd - coulda been at MensaTim or MensaTom, I reckon, but either way, it's not a good sign.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Treefidy said:

He realized he fucked up calling to too early, that was the delay and confusion trying to figure out how best to waste 4 seconds.   Didn't want to risk a pooka kick off return, or god forbid one more play for KU to score on our shitty defense.  

I think it was the right call after fucking up the time out.  I would actually argue for passing it intentionally high so no chance a play could be made on the ball. 

Wait.  You’re contention is that we decided to run a play because we needed to eliminate the chance of a KO return for a TD?  Take out the KU offense scoring on us scenario.  That FG takes 4-5 seconds to be blown dead.  Either KU fair catches the ensuing KO to run one Hail Mary/hook and lateral, or they try to return the KO 95+ yards to win the game.  I can’t believe I’m actually explaining this.

• Like 1

if Orlando made some minor adjustments, Texas wins by 20+ yesterday. We saw that in spots in Q3 where UT's talent overwhelmed their OL. The coaches treat each game like a scripted lab experiment, truly out of touch with reality. It's a strange group think going on in coaches meetings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Not of your talent sucks. Bill Snyder was never going to win a NC at KSU, but he was at least in the mix. The best indicator really is how well you do with the talent you have, do you overachieve or underachieve. Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy are other examples. Maybe not this year because their talent has dropped so. And it may not be the best indicator of overall team leadership if they can't recruit the best players, but it is the best indicator of ability to coach up the players you have.

Even if your talent sucks, the best indication of good coaching is still wins... Of course, that's actually "wins given the resources at your disposal" - but that's obvious and should be inferred. Bill Snyder consistently won more games than he lost with low-ranked recruiting classes. Therefore, he was a very good coach. There's no need to need to focus exclusively on special teams and penalties, like you did above.

Edited by lulz

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

The only difference between this KU game and the one we lost is that we didn’t turn it over 6 times.  Last night isn’t some evidence of improvement.  Stop blaming Charlie’s recruits, seeing as how our best defensive tear was the won the the fewest TH signees.

Would you like to discuss special teams and penalties?  Where does that blame traditionally land.  I think we have had 3-5 glaring, egregious and fundamentally flawed ST miscues this season.

And fuck off with the injury excuses.  Those weren’t good enough 6 years ago and they still aren’t.  Our “B Team” (which this wasn’t) should never need a last second FG to come back and win against KU AT HOME.  24 points given up in the 4Q?  Fuck that.

Finally, you are so dismissive with the “sure he needs a better staff” comment.  That’s a MAJOR FUCKING PROBLEM.  Don’t make me remind you of Shawn Watson as an example of how a bad staff hire can ruin shit.   

*  Be clear...TH has not even in the same discussion of shitty HC performance as what Strong was here.  But “he’s better than Mack and Charlie” is so Fucking far from what our standard should be.  Don’t be the chick who puts up with the serial cheating boyfriend, because “at least he doesn’t beat me like the last guy.”

Yeah, yesterday's performance was worse than the 2016 loss. The 2016 game seemed a little fluky with all the turnovers. Yesterday, Kansas took it to us. They did not look outmatched at all. Yes, we turned it over twice. But they also missed two field goals and had a blocked extra point run back on them.

1,000 yards? Herman's exact quote was "terrible night"?

Just for clarification, I believe ztejas said Sam had a “terrible night” or “terrible game” in another thread or different post. Sam threw a lousy pick in the fourth and seemed off on some throws he normally makes but the stats — and GW Drive — speak for themselves and ztejas acknowledged he was wrong later.

We have some problems on offense but if you score 50 at home and run up nearly 700 yards offense, you’re doing more than enough to beat anybody in the country. Defense is an unmitigated disaster.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Wait.  You’re contention is that we decided to run a play because we needed to eliminate the chance of a KO return for a TD?  Take out the KU offense scoring on us scenario.  That FG takes 4-5 seconds to be blown dead.  Either KU fair catches the ensuing KO to run one Hail Mary/hook and lateral, or they try to return the KO 95+ yards to win the game.  I can’t believe I’m actually explaining this.

With a time-out left, he'da called a run to the middle of the hashes and then called the t-o. Given how fucked and miserable ST kickoffs and punting has been, it's understandable, although chancy. It def illustrates just how strongly MensaTom believes his shit don't stink.

We aren't as good as we were a month ago. That concerns me. Our defense is awful. And it's compounded by Herman's horrible in game decisions. I can't fathom how wide open their receivers get, or how our DBs never even know where the ball is. 

I'm just glad we won. I fear there won't be too many more victories this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Dude, based on how our defense played last night.... 

who do you trust most to burn 4 seconds off the clock, Sam/duv or our fucking defense?   Because I was standing there thinking "oh shit, we left them too much time"

Lucky the KU DB wasn’t smart enough to jump that. 100% chance the throw would be an out to the short side of the field, obviously to Duv. They were already in chip shot range for Dicker, that extra 6-7 yards was not worth the risk.
Rewind gets in my nerves, but I'll be watching it this week just to see how Herman justifies that, assuming Galindo has the balls to question it..

Yes, one of the pen Jockeys will likely ask at the Monday presser, but it's different when you have the film rolling..and see how we were already well within Dicker the kickers range..

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The Bellmont Brain Trust (and I use that term loosely) fixated on Herman in year two of Charlie and ignored all red flags -- losses to Navy, SMU and UConn -- and the fact that Herman rode the back of a great small college QB and a generational d-lineman whose recruitment he won by having his brother on the roster. (Oliver flat out said he regretted his decision and would rather have gone to LSU. Had he done so, Herman would still be at UH, unless they fired him too.)

Yes, he was a rising young talent, but he never should have been considered The Guy, to the exclusion of any other candidates, the way he was, and its apparent some of y'all still think he is The Guy. And maybe he will be. It's still too soon to tell, but it's hard for me, right now, to feel confident about some great leap forward coming next year, and even harder to not pencil in Baylor and ISU in the loss column this year. 

But say we don't win conference next year or make a NY6 bowl. Barring 7 or fewer wins, Herman should be retained, if only because you just can't go around firing coaches every three or four years unless you want to be Tennessee or pre-Saban LSU. 

This is so fucking dumb. Herman was unquestionably the hottest commodity in coaching these past 5 years. He won the Broyles award in 2014 and was the consensus best OC in college ball. He gets the job with UH and immediately started turning heads from the get go. I heard him on 610 when he first got the UH job and became an immediate fan of his and knew that he had the total package to succeed at the highest levels. He proved it on the field with a conference championship and NY6 Peach Bowl win against the defending national champions. He has top 5 recruiting classes since he has been on the 40 and has had us in the championship game with a huge Sugar Bowl, one of the biggest wins this program has had this century. We are right on schedule if not ahead of it. The Herman haters looked like fools last year. I will make sure to bump this thread again in a few weeks to rub it in their faces again.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

This is so fucking dumb. Herman was unquestionably the hottest commodity in coaching these past 5 years. He won the Broyles award in 2014 and was the consensus best OC in college ball. He gets the job with UH and immediately started turning heads from the get go. I heard him on 610 when he first got the UH job and became an immediate fan of his and knew that he had the total package to succeed at the highest levels. He proved it on the field with a conference championship and NY6 Peach Bowl win against the defending national champions. He has top 5 recruiting classes since he has been on the 40 and has had us in the championship game with a huge Sugar Bowl, one of the biggest wins this program has had this century. We are right on schedule if not ahead of it. The Herman haters looked like fools last year. I will make sure to bump this thread again in a few weeks to rub it in their faces again.

So you heard him on the radio and you instantly knew he had the “total package”? Well, before he was hired, I also heard him on the radio and I instantly knew he was an arrogant, thin-skinned liar.

https://chirb.it/NNfnf8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/tom-herman-called-into-houston-radio-to-yell-at-hosts-audio-01dmb37w8zk3

See how that works?

• Like 1

the deja vu on our coaching is crazy

fire what once was a very good coach whose time was over, hire defensive guy who was completely out of his depth, hire the offensive genius, much better than the defensive guy shitshow but D is a complete disaster. Akers/McWilliams/Mackovic

Herman will end up just like Mackovic if he decides he'd rather be a friend than a head coach.  maybe we will get a first 10 year mack brown type after Herman.

Hi Coach Herman! Might I suggest TCU game prep instead of reading message boards?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Peterson lost to Cal this season. Gundy had one great season and can't beat OU. Patterson peaked five years ago. Saban and Swinney are the only sure-thing, championship caliber coaches in the country, and they aren't coming here. Despite last night's (and last week's) shit show, the program is in the best shape it's been since 2009. Herman made some shitty hires when he got here, and they're holding the program back right now, but I'm willing to give him this offseason before jumping off the train.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Peterson lost to Cal this season. Gundy had one great season and can't beat OU. Patterson peaked five years ago. Saban and Swinney are the only sure-thing, championship caliber coaches in the country, and they aren't coming here. Despite last night's (and last week's) shit show, the program is in the best shape it's been since 2009. Herman made some shitty hires when he got here, and they're holding the program back right now, but I'm willing to give him this offseason before jumping off the train.

*quietly* Cal was really good before their QB's shoulder got liquidated against AZ State.

I generally agree with your assessment, but not including Lincoln Riley in that championship tier is:

1.) Wrong;
2.) Omitting an important point of consideration for evaluation of the Texas staff.

Offense overall is good which is more than we could say under the last guy.  Hiring is always a crapshoot.  I'm good with Herman as long as the defense gets fixed and that means firing Orlando.  No other way it's gonna get done.  He's been figured out and has zero ability to adapt.  

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I generally agree with your assessment, but not including Lincoln Riley in that championship tier is:

1.) Wrong;
2.) Omitting an important point of consideration for evaluation of the Texas staff.

Riley certainly looks the part, but he doesn't have the skins those other two have. Regardless, he ain't coming here either.

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah, that play at 8 seconds was fucking crazy

I'm gonna sleep better at night believing that there only two options for that play: sideline to Duvernay (where he steps out of bounds regardless of whether he's covered or not) or Sam chucks it to the third row if Duvernay has any sort of coverage or if the OL lets pressure through.  Reasonably low risk but still not worth it for 5 yards, when you've got a good kicker.  Stupid decision.  If Duvernay makes the catch but is unable to fight his way out of bounds, game is over.  

Fuck Lincoln Riley. Nobody has fallen ass backwards into fortuitous shit than he has. Just one thing; when was the last time that OU actually recruited a QB and developed them for four years. 

They'll probably still be good with the QBs they are recruiting are ranked high. But still. 

Edited by theaveragejon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Cal hasn't broken 30 pts all season. They do play good defense though. Maybe we should look at their DC.

I like wilcox.  Last couple of weeks not withstanding, I still think he was a great hire for them.  They played stout defense, IMMEDIATELY when he took over.  Coaching and scheme matter.  I don't know enough to know if their defense would hold up in the Big XII, but they are solid on defense.  

Edited by Lhorn