Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

Hell we still heel and drag. 

Meh, we lure our fatties into the pen with cubes and shut the gate.  One 'ol boy on his horse just up there to make him feel better.  Had one wild cow that was hard to round up, but she was such a good mom and rarely ever lost a calf that we let her be as her weaned calves followed the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh, I get the intent, but come on guys - electric brands just work better, are faster, and are more consistent for the animals.  

They could also be using a rubber band instead of actually cutting the calves.  Or using a branding table....I keep getting told they are more efficient and better but I don't see it.

The 6666's covers 225 square miles, if they wanted to electric brand I am certain they could. I imagine it's just simpler for them to fire brand.  I am certainly not going to suggest to Tom, Boots, or Wes that they do it differently.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

They could also be using a rubber band instead of actually cutting the calves.  Or using a branding table....I keep getting told they are more efficient and better but I don't see it.

The 6666's covers 225 square miles, if they wanted to electric brand I am certain they could. I imagine it's just simpler for them to fire brand.  I am certainly not going to suggest to Tom, Boots, or Wes that they do it differently.

Lots of buyers prefer their calves to be knife-cut.  I absolutely hate banding (not branding), and only do it to the few bull calves that are born after the spring round-up and we go to grass.  

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

We do a lot of heeling and dragging. You can't see it in the photo but that's how they caught that one and brought it to the fire.

We'll set up two groups and set an alarm for 20 minutes and bet against each other. It can get pretty tense when you just cant get them to step in at the end. Havent gotten to do it in years. 

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Oh, I know - but many of those historic ranches make it a point to follow "the old ways".  For the smaller hobby ranches/farms, you just need to get in and get out and a brand you can plug in to your truck and instantly heats up evenly is perfect.  Use a squeeze shoot.  No ropes.  No large fire that has to burn down into coals.  No multiple brands in and out of the fire, checking for the proper temp and consistently.  Just easier.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Oh, I know - but many of those historic ranches make it a point to follow "the old ways".  For the smaller hobby ranches/farms, you just need to get in and get out and a brand you can plug in to your truck and instantly heats up evenly is perfect.  Use a squeeze shoot.  No ropes.  No large fire that has to burn down into coals.  No multiple brands in and out of the fire, checking for the proper temp and consistently.  Just easier.  

Most of the smaller Cow Calf operations around here don't even brand. It has to be a bigger spread for most of em to mess with branding.

When I worked more to the east side of the state most of the operations there didn't even cut their calves.  The price difference at the auction barn wasn't worth the trouble.  Seen some data of late that bears that out.  East end of the state until about I45 or so, cutting calves isn't nearly as common.  West of I35 your losing money if you don't.  Between there it just varies.

These were my go-to boots when I worked in the oilfield. Didn’t need to polish. And when they got dusty, muddied up or had to pull wash bay duties on pumps, well, you could just spray em down, keep your feet dry and they’d look as new as the day you bought em.

ed917f42a2101d369d8fea160d8f0344.jpg

Currently considering buying some Lucchese bull hides. Relatively cheap and still look good. My current job presents opportunities for scuffing and marring. Not nearly as much as the oilfield. I feel like bull hide can take the beating but I have never had any. Can anybody weigh in? TIA

f6b1986c9196e05decb62e056cef4880.jpg

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Most of the smaller Cow Calf operations around here don't even brand. It has to be a bigger spread for most of em to mess with branding.

When I worked more to the east side of the state most of the operations there didn't even cut their calves.  The price difference at the auction barn wasn't worth the trouble.  Seen some data of late that bears that out.  East end of the state until about I45 or so, cutting calves isn't nearly as common.  West of I35 your losing money if you don't.  Between there it just varies.

Ours are asshole, fence-jumping Corrientes cattle and you have to brand them as they are always getting out or hopping fences.  Nimble shits.  Back in the day, black angus would just waddle around from field to field.  It was great.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

These were my go-to boots when I worked in the oilfield. Didn’t need to polish. And when they got dusty, muddied up or had to pull wash bay duties on pumps, well, you could just spray em down, keep your feet dry and they’d look as new as the day you bought em.

ed917f42a2101d369d8fea160d8f0344.jpg

Currently considering buying some Lucchese bull hides. Relatively cheap and still look good. My current job presents opportunities for scuffing and marring. Not nearly as much as the oilfield. I feel like bull hide can take the beating but I have never had any. Can anybody weigh in? TIA

f6b1986c9196e05decb62e056cef4880.jpg

For Work boots I like their Rudy.  There's a whole slew of different designs on their website with em. They are danged comfortable to wear.

https://www.lucchese.com/barnboot/

If you want some nice dress boots-  Go into one of their actual showrooms and get measured for some of their Classic line.  They are pricey but not ML Leddy money.

https://www.lucchese.com/additionallines/lucchese-classics/mens/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

Yep, that's what most "real cowboys" wear in my experience. I'll bet they even know how to pronounce chaps. 

Those are leggings but okay.

edit: jesus I'm already 3 fucking pages behind?

But we're still talking about boots so I'm good.

Edited by GringoSalado

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

For Work boots I like their Rudy.  There's a whole slew of different designs on their website with em. They are danged comfortable to wear.

https://www.lucchese.com/barnboot/

If you want some nice dress boots-  Go into one of their actual showrooms and get measured for some of their Classic line.  They are pricey but not ML Leddy money.

https://www.lucchese.com/additionallines/lucchese-classics/mens/

Black cherry goat.  Nothing prettier.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Hungover. Thermometer went out last night so ignore the holes. Just hit 203 internal, time to pull and rest for at least two hours 

C7DE282A-C57B-40B0-BB50-CF097F9CD8E0.jpeg

been meaning to ask btw.....do you subscribe to the "book of Franklin" and put espresso on your brisket?

Don't know if he still does, but when he first hit it big I remember him talking about it being a big ingredient for him........Don't use it myself....but I'm not a celebrity BBQ Chef and don't have near his amount of money so...

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

been meaning to ask btw.....do you subscribe to the "book of Franklin" and put espresso on your brisket?

Don't know if he still does, but when he first hit it big I remember him talking about it being a big ingredient for him........Don't use it myself....but I'm not a celebrity BBQ Chef and don't have near his amount of money so...

He's dalmation only with espresso in the sauce

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Had never heard of him Doing that? Are you sure it was Franklin? He’s pretty adamant about solely S&P, that’s all I ever use

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ah ya, he does have an espresso sauce. Even sells it HEB. He has a regular one as well

I like his espresso sauce. But I’d never put it on a good brisket.  Also I’ve never had the bottled sauce that I assume is mass produced to his recipe, only ever got it from his trailer a long time ago. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

I own/used to work 25 head and have never owned a pair of boots /csb...........Ok nowwww jesus christ shut the fuck uppppp about cows and cow fashion

Sounds like a cavenders cowboy to me. I bet he bought his belt buckle. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White