Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

With 10 days to go until our bowl game, I'm starting to think that Tom Herman will be coaching the Longhorns for said bowl game. 

FWIW---Nick Saban was never coming here.  Ever.  Was the most insanely over-adopted lie in Texas next to Qanon.  Urban apparently did have a modicum of interest in coaching here.  It could still work out in early January.  But starting to look like we may have fucked it up.  But it's all conjecture at this point, I don't even really work here.  /kramer

That’s completely false on Saban. If Mack would’ve been on board he would be our coach right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

With 10 days to go until our bowl game, I'm starting to think that Tom Herman will be coaching the Longhorns for said bowl game. 

FWIW---Nick Saban was never coming here.  Ever.  Was the most insanely over-adopted lie in Texas next to Qanon.  Urban apparently did have a modicum of interest in coaching here.  It could still work out in early January.  But starting to look like we may have fucked it up.  But it's all conjecture at this point, I don't even really work here.  /kramer

You are wrong about Saban, that deal was close.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Lmao. 34 B's don't really qualify for BTE...but I had to pick something realistic for me. But I have the Big Energy damnit. I'm Urban or bust. 

They may be 34 B's but I'll be damned if you don't swing them around like they're DD's. Urban or bust!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

What's the latest from the deer stand? Any news we can use?

Didn’t get good news yesterday. From a Houston guy that helped lead the charge for Herman. He hasn’t been involved in this round though. Somebody told him something that has made him pessimistic about the UM stuff. 

I don’t know how things are working right now. Could be the case that if you aren’t directly involved at this point then good information simply isn’t available. I get the impression that Dallas is driving the bus this time so this guy may not be as privy to what’s actually going on, but I didn’t get warm and fuzzy UM feelings from him.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Didn’t get good news yesterday. From a Houston guy that helped lead the charge for Herman. He hasn’t been involved in this round though. Somebody told him something that has made him pessimistic about the UM stuff. 

I don’t know how things are working right now. Could be the case that if you aren’t directly involved at this point then good information simply isn’t available. I get the impression that Dallas is driving the bus this time so this guy may not be as privy to what’s actually going on, but I didn’t get warm and fuzzy UM feelings from him.

So, just for the record, this source wasn't related to the good news you received a few weeks ago, right?

4 minutes ago, Caddox said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Why would Dallas BMDs have more stroke than Houston's?

Houston guys drove the Herman bus. Dallas guys drove the Saban and then Steve Patterson bus which got us Charlie. Obv thats oversimplified but its generally true. 

Just now, Caddox said:

Houston guys drove the Herman bus. Dallas guys drove the Saban and then Steve Patterson bus which got us Charlie. Obv thats oversimplified but its generally true. 

Well, we're fucked if it's the same guys who brought us Patterson/Charlie.

Goddammit.....

2 minutes ago, Caddox said:

So what you're saying is our Houston and Dallas BMDs are Dumb and Dumber?

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Tongue in cheek.

I'm just surprised Herman hasn't been canned yet. But, UM or bust I guess.

If they really have something with urban and urban really doesn't want any distractions with osu, firing herman now would just ramp all the speculation back up again. 

That's what I keep telling myself,  anyway. 

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Well, we're fucked if it's the same guys who brought us Patterson/Charlie.

Goddammit.....

I don't remember Dallas guys driving Patterson but I guess its possible.... the Dallas guys absolutely did not drive Charlie.  that had nothing to do with BMD donor base.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't remember Dallas guys driving Patterson but I guess its possible.... the Dallas guys absolutely did not drive Charlie.  that had nothing to do with BMD donor base.

If the Dallas BMDs got Patterson hired it, in turn, indirectly resulted in Charlie.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, pops said:

If they really have something with urban and urban really doesn't want any distractions with osu, firing herman now would just ramp all the speculation back up again. 

That's what I keep telling myself,  anyway. 

But, let's say we've got an agreement in principle with UM that we're keeping on the down low. Professional courtesy dictates that we fire Herman to give him time to find another gig. Ash could still be the interim HC.

What am I missing here?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Professional courtesy dictates that we fire Herman to give him time to find another gig. Ash could still be the interim HC.

What am I missing here?

Professional courtesy has no role in deals of this size and magnitude. 

He's under contract. He can leave to find another gig (breaches contract) or he is let go when a deal is ready to surface (we pay him per the terms of the agreement).

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

That’s completely false on Saban. If Mack would’ve been on board he would be our coach right now. 

On board, or just ignored.

Either way, he was coming until Mack's pack scuttled the deal.

But none of that has anything to to do with the fact that Urban Meyer will be coaching the Texas Longhorns in 2021.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

But, let's say we've got an agreement in principle with UM that we're keeping on the down low. Professional courtesy dictates that we fire Herman to give him time to find another gig. Ash could still be the interim HC.

What am I missing here?

If you paid me $15M to go away, I'd go fishing for a year, or maybe the rest of my life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Professional courtesy has no role in deals of this size and magnitude. 

He's under contract. He can leave to find another gig (breaches contract) or he is let go when a deal is ready to surface (we pay him per the terms of the agreement).

Kind of a dick move though, no? Not a good look to fire him after winning a bowl game.

Optics and such

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Kind of a dick move though, no? Not a good look to fire him after winning a bowl game.

Optics and such

He's ruined that for himself with past occurrence's. It's been stated he's not well liked by anybody nor does he have anybody left that gives a shit if he's fired. He dug his own grave per say. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Optics and such

No. He's not being fired for one game and shouldn't be kept for winning one meaningless bowl game in another shitty, underperforming year (assuming we actually do win).

And re: the optics, fuck 'em. And fuck anyone who doesn't like it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Optics and such

optics =“we’re Texas”. That’s the bs we need to get away from. You want to win, we need to get in the game and not pussyfoot around and worry about optics. Fuck that shit. You think Bama worries about optics? Clemson has a coach out talking shit. You need to lose  this We’re Texas and optics crap. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

No. He's not being fired for one game and shouldn't be kept for winning one meaningless bowl game in another shitty, underperforming year (assuming we actually do win).

I get that.

Just trying to figure out why he hasn't been fired already. The timing on this transition is odd, assuming it's happening.

29 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

What am I missing here?

He will walk with $15 mil.  That’s all the professional courtesy he needs or will get. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

What am I missing here?

I'm not saying it makes a lot of sense but if you have 1 of 3 people on the planet that can almost immediately make your program relevant again you do what he wants and you make yourself feel ok about it by giving herman a 15 million dollar parachute. 

I'm to the point now where urban is a done deal or herman is back. No way we wouldn't be hearing leaks from agents of other coaches either looking for a raise or to aid in getting a better deal from a new employer. 

And since if have BDE that means it's happening!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I get that.

Just trying to figure out why he hasn't been fired already. The timing on this transition is odd, assuming it's happening.

I wanted him gone a long time ago, but I don't really think the timing is odd. People a week or two ago were saying it would be odd if we fired him mid-season. What's a little unusual is firing him after a "winning" season, but it's certainly not unheard of, esp when the total body of work is so mediocre (and horrific against ou sucks, TCU, the Turtles, etc).

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I get that.

I believe it’s because we have been pretty covid free all things considered. The season is lost, no sense deviating from the plan. The kids are following him, protocols are in place.  No sense jacking around with safety. Maybe cdc is letting it play out while UM assesses things. 

Plus we had 18-19 kids Sign last week. We had to keep the integrity of the class in place. 

Edited by jdhorn92