Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

It's not how fast. It's that they never stop, run like a drunk old man and use their forehead to feel out everything.  

Not to mention that they can go from right by your side to God knows where in the time it takes to reach into the fridge and grab another beer.  Their teleportation abilities are astounding.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

JT still lurks but doesn't post. We had lunch a few weeks ago, he is alive and well. 

He's still alive (and probably reading this).  Texted him today and he is right.  Sweet tea is not a Texas thing.  Brisket, yes.  Sweat tea, no.  That belongs to Alabama, SC, Georgia, etc.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well pretty much any southern state has a sweat tea culture, and history.

While I'm relatively new here, I have a feeling this has been debated before.  At least for me, Texas doesn't seem nearly as passionate about it's sweet tea as the Southeast.  

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

JT still lurks but doesn't post. We had lunch a few weeks ago, he is alive and well. 

Good dude.( definitely wanting to damage his reputation)

Will always remember the charity events he did for the troops.

FTR, JT and Blacklab are 2 of about 15 people on here whom I have met in person...and they did not kill me.

Edited by slorch

10 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

While I'm relatively new here, I have a feeling this has been debated before.  At least for me, Texas doesn't seem nearly as passionate about it's sweet tea as the Southeast.  

Texas is more southwestern than southern IMO.  Ya'll don't seem to have the sweet tea craving. The Mississippi seems to be a loose sweet tea border crossing.

I don't like full on sweet tea I prefer half and half.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Texas is more southwestern than southern IMO.  Ya'll don't seem to have the sweet tea craving. The Mississippi seems to be a loose sweet tea border crossing.

I prefer half and half too, but I'm afraid to order it for pickup on the fear that I'll get a cup of creamer.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:12 AM, TankedBevo said:

Don't cook it in a pan, cook it in the oven. If you must be a weirdo and prefer thin sliced bacon, why not just separating them all before pan frying?

The kids like their bacon crispy, so they don’t want thick sliced bacon. TJ bacon has been great since I started shopping there 15 years ago, but the bacon had changed in the past year.

As for cooking bacon, I’m not touching raw bacon with my hands so I use chopsticks to separate the slices. I had a technique worked out before TJ messed it all up. 

The kids like their bacon crispy, so they don’t want thick sliced bacon. TJ bacon has been great since I started shopping there 15 years ago, but the bacon had changed in the past year.
 As for cooking bacon, I’m not touching raw bacon with my hands so I use chopsticks to separate the slices. I had a technique worked out before TJ messed it all up. 
Just touch it and wash your hands after, weirdo.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I would get murdered in the Southeast.  Unsweet, 3 or 4 lemon wedges, three dashes of salt. 

12 hours ago, nnm said:

“The Woodlands” makes me surly. Like “THE OhSU.”  GMAFB. 

Years ago, I worked for a guy who would talk about going to the woodlands to visit in-laws.  I would always illicit a WTF look from me.  It took a few times of him mentioning it to realize it was indeed 'The Woodlands'.  I ended up living there for 8 years at some point.

The technical/legal name of the city is actually, "The Woodlands" though, correct?  Nobody seems to mind we call it "El Paso"..."The Pass."  I do find it irritating living in South Austin hearing others refer to their residence as "Westlake."  That's not a city.  West Lake Hills is a city, and it's three words and only 3,000+ people live there.  Westlake is just a high school.  There's no HOA, no development, no neighborhood called "Westlake." 

Every Austinite either lives in Tarrytown or Westlake apparently.  Every Houstonian I know that lives north of Loop 8 says they live in "The Woodlands."  I don't know where any Dallas resident lives because they open every conversation with what generation Texan they are, by the time they get to their cross-fit locale of choice, I've already left the conversation in search or more alcohol.  

20 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Years ago, I worked for a guy who would talk about going to the woodlands to visit in-laws.  I would always illicit a WTF look from me.  It took a few times of him mentioning it to realize it was indeed 'The Woodlands'.  I ended up living there for 8 years at some point.

Yes, for it to be the same as TOSU you would have to call it The The Woodlands

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The technical/legal name of the city is actually, "The Woodlands" though, correct?  Nobody seems to mind we call it "El Paso"..."The Pass."  I do find it irritating living in South Austin hearing others refer to their residence as "Westlake."  That's not a city.  West Lake Hills is a city, and it's three words and only 3,000+ people live there.  Westlake is just a high school.  There's no HOA, no development, no neighborhood called "Westlake." 

Every Austinite either lives in Tarrytown or Westlake apparently.  Every Houstonian I know that lives north of Loop 8 says they live in "The Woodlands."  I don't know where any Dallas resident lives because they open every conversation with what generation Texan they are, by the time they get to their cross-fit locale of choice, I've already left the conversation in search or more alcohol.  

The legal name is 'The Woodlands'.  I seem to remember seeing Spring on some mail addressed to me a few times,though.

Edited by BonzoMontreaux

21 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fucking sweet tea as a descriptor.  It's fucking iced tea!   You can put sweetener in it or not.  I mean, Lydia made sweet tea with her Stevia but she sure didn't put any ice in it.  /notrivial

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, davidg said:

Fucking sweet tea as a descriptor.  It's fucking iced tea!   You can put sweetener in it or not.  I mean, Lydia made sweet tea with her Stevia but she sure didn't put any ice in it.  /notrivial

No, once it's iced tea you can't sweeten it unless you use something artificial... fuck that noise.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/1/2021 at 6:10 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well pretty much any southern state has a sweat tea culture, and history.

I can't recall exactly when things changed but up until late 90s/early 00s, when in Texas, you simply ordered iced tea at restaurants, it automatically came unsweet and you added sugar on your own; I never had to specifically ask for unsweet tea in Texas before then.  I don't know if it was caused by hurricane migrants or simply getting invaded by the Big Southern Dummy.  

I despise sweet tea and it irritates the fuck out of me I have to specifically ask for sugar to be omitted. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I can't recall exactly when things changed but up until late 90s/early 00s, when in Texas, you simply ordered iced tea at restaurants, it automatically came unsweet and you added sugar on your own; I never had to specifically ask for unsweet tea in Texas before then.  I don't know if it was caused by hurricane migrants or simply getting invaded by the Big Southern Dummy.  

I despise sweet tea and it irritates the fuck out of me I have to specifically ask for sugar to be omitted. 

I mean I can't say I've ever seen that here in VA.  but I'm sure it exists depends on locale. I've always had to ask for sweet or unsweet tea.  I do think the sweet tea thing has jumped the shark. I like it to have some sweetness, but a little goes a looong way.  I'm a self aware sugar junky.

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

Same way I feel about people think that Tampa Bay is a city.  It’s not.  It’s a body of water. 

It's a metro area... so that St Pete feels included, without using so many letters.