Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

11 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

When the WNBA attendance and viewership reaches within 50% of the NBA, we can talk.  Until then, go get those endorsements!

You don’t get it. WNBA players work just as hard as NBA players. Therefore they should be paid the same. Don’t distract from the argument by pointing out irrelevancies like attendance, TV ratings, revenue from licensing, or other similar silly numbers. Just pay them more. C’mon man. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

You don’t get it. WNBA players work just as hard as NBA players. Therefore they should be paid the same. Don’t distract from the argument by pointing out irrelevancies like attendance, TV ratings, revenue from licensing, or other similar silly numbers. Just pay them more. C’mon man. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nnm said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, nnm said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unsolicited DM's on Linkedin offering training to help me be better at my job. Today it was learn spanish in one on one classes (virtual). Um, I am a 4/4 in Spanish, grew up in Latin America. At least read my damn profile. Linkedin is becoming Facebook/twitter 

Yes, yes...that's hilarious.  So original by the Babylon Bee to recycle a 20 year old joke...but with a new name.  

I admit, only women's hoops I watch are a couple of high-stakes UT Women's games (UCONN, OU, NCAA Tourney, etc.) because my oldest is getting really into hoops.  

But Caitlin is gonna be much richer than either of us in a few years given her endorsement potential (plus she's charismatic and can sell ice to an eskimo).  Just like I don't "get" the fascination with Taylor Swift...Caitlin has this crazy idea to elevate the confidence level of young women, like my daughter, through sport (like Taylor through music and civic engagement).  

To the above point though, "They work just as hard as men do, so they should be paid just as much" is irritating bullshit.  That's not how life works.  Off-shore oil rig workers work as hard as anybody, but they don't get paid as much as the O&G CEO,  That mentality makes me surly.  

To put it into male-dominated sports parallels.  Formula 1 drivers make way more than NASCAR drivers.  They both put in the hours and are at constant risk of injury.  Difference is driving most F1 circuits is 1000x more difficult than turning left 1000 times in a row.  

Sits in truck to do whatever seems important.   I had a guy in front of me and he left.  I filled with diesel and Mr. Considerate finally got out to start filling his truck when I was driving off.  
IMG_0292.thumb.jpeg.82ade876772dcabd7081e25da6414fb5.jpeg

Extra points for Fu Manchu
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

People

I take Sebastian and my daughter's ugly chihuahua to the Tanglewood dog park every evening. There is a pretty good group of regulars who go. I tolerate the dog people, but I know every one of the regular dogs' names.  It's my happy place. I guess I just don't relate well to people. Is there a name for an elderly single gentleman who lives alone with a house full of dogs, because that's how I envision my old age.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm going out of town on Tuesday. Yesterday I ordered a few last minute things on amazon, nothing life or death but some shit I wanted for the trip. Everything I ordered was listed as being delivered today, which is why I ordered the stuff. Fast forward to this morning and everything is now delayed until after I'm leaving. Fucking amazon. All that shit will be returned when I get back.

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Clients who get you on a call at lunch time (timezones, they give zeros fucks) and do not know what their client needs. A waste of an hour for all.

Coworkers who insist on booking meetings at 1pm NYC time knowing all well I'm in central time, and it's screwing with my lunch hour.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

When that happens I eat while on the call. Fuck em. I turn off video (which I think is stupid most of the time) and blame bandwidth.

Why stop there?  I've cracked a beer on one of those calls, and make sure to hold the beer right up to the mic with it unmuted.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a super big fan of the people who love to get to their office super early, and decide to start calling people then. Love it when my phone rings and it’s a client or some such while I’m brushing my teeth at 7:00 am. Dude. The rest of the world does keep farmer’s hours like you do.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m a super big fan of the people who love to get to their office super early, and decide to start calling people then. Love it when my phone rings and it’s a client or some such while I’m brushing my teeth at 7:00 am. Dude. The rest of the world does keep farmer’s hours like you do.

Shit, I have three clocks up in the office just so I can keep up with time zones. My favorite is the 1AM call from Africa about some BS that was solved weeks ago. "So did you order the paper clips for project x?" No Mofo, that is your fucking job.

NZ is the best. They are behind in hours, but tomorrow. They forget that it is sunday here and keep scheduling meetings their mondays.

I am going to send them.

Jennifer Aniston Monday GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

5 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

The amount of time it takes people to conduct a god damn transaction at an ATM machine. And I'd say about 70% of the time the person is not dispensed any cash. Fuck people.

Yeah, it's annoying but I give 'em a pass these days.  A lot of folks age 40-80 are stuck in this weird nebula where they're not totally comfortable yet with mobile banking/fintech and a lot of transactions they would normally do in the teller lanes can't be done anymore because every single day in this country-10 bank branches permanently close their teller lanes.  And nobody wants to park and go inside.  So they at least see the ATM on the bank premises and feel a little safer depositing the checks or transferring money at the machine they know to be secured by the bank. 

Since our firm bought a 50-state chartered bank to use to 'host' myriad fintech platforms, I still make it a point to go inside to individual branches to see what's going on inside.  Makes me surly, Americans are paying an extra 50bps on their mortgages and business loans so 6 people can sit around inside doing nothing in a prominently placed building at $35/foot.