Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Fucking Japan rail system. Took the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto and my ticket stub fell out of my pocket.

Now they won’t let me out of the station because apparently the ticket is “not used”.

I can either wait for them to look up the ticket. Or I can pay another $100 for the trip I already took.

Ticket stubs. Serious business. 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, BrazilHorn said:

When I’m sitting in First Class and the poors walking towards back of plane put their hands on my headrest to steady their fat asses as they waddle towards their seats

I always save a big Taco fart to crop dust first class as I walk by.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:44 AM, PvilleStang said:

To be honest (and no offense to any PMs here), PMs aren't the best and brightest in their fields of work.  They are the OCD person who can put together a timeline.  All my previous employers, PMs are turning over like crazy.  I can think of two that are worth anything, and they tend to pivot into a bigger and better role after time.

PMs are the fucking worst.

At least those I deal with. They have zero technical acumen, and I always have to take over their role for our projects eventually. So I guess I'm a PM by default.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

PMs are the fucking worst.

At least those I deal with. They have zero technical acumen, and I always have to take over their role for our projects eventually. So I guess I'm a PM by default.

PM is one step away from office of special projects, where all good state careers go to die.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Vuori commercials piss me off.  I'm tired of looking at the LSU gymnast hot girl who is most likely a functional moron.  

Same with the current Tropical Smoothie Cafe sorority girl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I dropped a Performance Improvement Plan on one of my direct reports today.

It should not have come as a surprise to him because we've had quite a few conversations (some heated) about his non-performance. He got pissed and lashed out at me saying I was a terrible manager because I a) didn't understand what he does, and b) never told him before he needed to improve.

He does have a point on a) since he does some technical shit, but on b) we've had conversations that go back to last year about shit he needs to do, meeting deadlines, managing outside subcontractors, etc.

In my career, I've only PIPed 3 other people and they all quit shortly after. At this point, I don't really care if this guy quits. I was thinking about working with him to get through the next 30 days, but his personal attacks were out of line. Sometimes being a people manager sucks ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

People (usually women but sometimes usually young dumb dudes) who have no fucking clue at the gas station.

You Know how many times I have to ask them to turn off car while filling up?

I just had to this morning and got SOOOO much attitude and a scoff. But I stood their brow beating them until she did.

I mean, how clueless do you have to be to think having an ignition source so close to a flammable vapor generating action as well is ok?

if it was diesel I’d at least somewhat understand while still thinking it’s not a good idea at all. I mean risk and reward and spill and all. But gasoline. Are you kidding me?

Arggh.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

People (usually women but sometimes usually young dumb dudes) who have no fucking clue at the gas station.

I just had to this morning and got SOOOO much attitude and a scoff. But I stood their brow beating them until she did.

I mean, how clueless do you have to be to think having an ignition source so close to a flammable vapor generating action as well is ok?

if it was diesel I’d at least somewhat understand while still thinking it’s not a good idea at all. I mean risk and reward and spill and all. But gasoline. Are you kidding me?

Arggh.

Sometimes you just have to let them learn the lesson 🧨

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Sometimes you just have to let them learn the lesson 🧨

I confess that sometimes in the summer, when I have passengers in the car, I let the car keep running during fill-up so that the AC continues running.  My reasoning is that the ignition/combustion is sufficiently isolated in modern vehicles so as to render the risk negligible.  In addition, the risk is already there with the close proximity of other vehicles driving up to/leaving neighboring pumps, and starting/stopping immediately adjacent to my own pump.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

I confess that sometimes in the summer, when I have passengers in the car, I let the car keep running during fill-up so that the AC continues running.  My reasoning is that the ignition/combustion is sufficiently isolated in modern vehicles so as to render the risk negligible.  In addition, the risk is already there with the close proximity of other vehicles driving up to/leaving neighboring pumps, and starting/stopping immediately adjacent to my own pump.  

I understand where you're coming from, however.......

I've been in a hydrocarbon vapor explosion that caused catastrophic damage, killed a guy, horrifically injured two others, and caused a company to go under. 

And due to my youth, I'm pretty sure 8 of my 9 lives have been lost.

So I'm not about to go out b/c some Tina, Ashley, Maria, Shaniqua, or Bonnie doesn't want to be slightly inconvenienced at the gas station.

The risk is not worth the convenance.

The issue is less to do with when the gas is contained and more to do if / when you lose containment..... which does happen. There's a lot of stupid out there.

Your car's electrical system is an ignition source. Your cell phone / electronics are an ignition source.

Static discharge is an ignition source.

Gasoline combustion engines operate on igniting the gas fumes within the piston.... so there's a flame in close proximity to flammable vapor when running.

The heat generated by combustion causes portions of your car to be at temperature that are above the autoignition temperature of gasoline vapor.

The holes in the swish cheese will eventually line up if you temp fate enough. Trust me.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Arggh.

With diesel farm equipment we almost never shut them off to fuel mid-day, due to the low risk of diesel igniting and the wear and tear saved on the engine.

But with gas, I won't fuck with an engine running while fueling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Arggh.

Some years ago I watched a young dumb dude fill up a plastic Big Gulp cup with gas. Chick had to hold the cup while he filled it so it wouldn't tip over and spill. I asked him what the fuck he was doing, and apparently the chick's car had run out gas a few miles down the road. 

I just shook my head and said "I hope y'all don't die in a fire." 

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Some years ago I watched a young dumb dude fill up a plastic Big Gulp cup with gas. Chick had to hold the cup while he filled it so it wouldn't tip over and spill. I asked him what the fuck he was doing, and apparently the chick's car had run out gas a few miles down the road. 

I just shook my head and said "I hope y'all don't die in a fire." 

Sir you lie.

Because you know, and I know that you secretly DID want them to die in a fire.... just maybe a little more down the road and away from the gas station.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Sitting at Sonic last night with my daughter after her track meet. Enjoying my small oreo blast while she ravenously devours her cheeseburger. Nice night, windows open, talking about her races, until douchebag in his pristine F-350 parks next to us and leaves his diesel idling while he orders and eats.

1) Now we are breathing diesel exhaust while we eat, so I have to roll up the windows which means I have to turn on the engine so we don't suffocate. 

2) Idling diesel engine is so loud you can't have a conversation, even with the windows up. 

Dudes who drive diesel pickups and never pull anything with them are definitely a trivial thing that makes me surly.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I've been guilty of leaving engine idling while filling up a few times but it was because my car was fucked up and wouldn't start again if I shut it off. Needed either a jump and crank a while, or to cool down to clear a vapor lock.

My next door neighbors are moving and listed their house about $100K below what Zillow, Redfin and realtor.com said the house is worth.

Not that I’m plannning to move any time soon. But it hurts any potential sellers in the neighborhood.

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dudes who drive diesel pickups and never pull anything with them are definitely a trivial thing that makes me surly.

I live in an area where there is considerable ranching, so lots of ranch trucks pulling cattle or horses or loads of hay, which is fine. Just no reason to idle when you are parked three feet from somebody. 

But yeah, it didn't look like it was being used on the ranch much. 

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

It should not have come as a surprise to him because we've had quite a few conversations (some heated) about his non-performance. He got pissed and lashed out at me saying I was a terrible manager because I a) didn't understand what he does, and b) never told him before he needed to improve.

He does have a point on a) since he does some technical shit, but on b) we've had conversations that go back to last year about shit he needs to do, meeting deadlines, managing outside subcontractors, etc.

In my career, I've only PIPed 3 other people and they all quit shortly after. At this point, I don't really care if this guy quits. I was thinking about working with him to get through the next 30 days, but his personal attacks were out of line. Sometimes being a people manager sucks ass.

I had a guy pull the "you never said anything about this before!" act once when I initiated a PIP for him.  I had my notes ready and asked him if he remembered our conversations on February 4th, 11th, 18th, (dates are for illustration only) etc. for three months, weekly meetings REQUESTED BY HIM, discussing his lack of performance.  He, of course, did not, including the one two days before the PIP meeting.  We then had a further two months of weekly meetings while he failed to progress even a little.  No effort from him at all.  What an unnecessary beating for both of us.

Before him, I thought that having to fire someone signified that I had failed to provide enough training, motivation, leadership, or tools for the folks that I fired.  He made me realize that someone else's failure or refusal to perform was on them, not me.  Sometimes you hire the wrong one, and you have to cut bait to make a place for someone better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

My next door neighbors are moving and listed their house about $100K below what Zillow, Redfin and realtor.com said the house is worth.

Not that I’m plannning to move any time soon. But it hurts any potential sellers in the neighborhood.

If you’re not moving anytime soon and this sells, then they did you a favor.

use it as a comp when protesting your appraisal and save some $ in your property taxes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I live in an area where there is considerable ranching, so lots of ranch trucks pulling cattle or horses or loads of hay, which is fine. Just no reason to idle when you are parked three feet from somebody. 

But yeah, it didn't look like it was being used on the ranch much. 

Same, but I also know lots of guys who work at the co-op or a factory and drive big diesels just because they have small dicks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Same, but I also know lots of guys who work at the co-op or a factory and drive big diesels just because they have small dicks.

Hell of a way to start my Friday. 
I drive a diesel pickup that pulls a lot of cattle and hay trailers, but I am also sexually challenged. I leave my gas pickup running at the pump because I bought it in college and if I shut the fucker off there’s a 75% chance it won’t start again. 

• Haha 6

On 3/28/2024 at 12:14 AM, Superhero said:

Are you riding employees about their TPS reports again, Bill?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

If you’re not moving anytime soon and this sells, then they did you a favor.

use it as a comp when protesting your appraisal and save some $ in your property taxes.

That's true if you live in TX.

I live in CA where the property tax is based on your purchase price, and property values aren't assessed every year.

So this doesn't help me at all.

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Are you riding employees about their TPS reports again, Bill?

If it was as simple as TPS reports.

My boss wants me to fire the guy. I'm okay with that.

Edited by Superhero
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

That's true if you live in TX.

I live in CA where the property tax is based on your purchase price, and property values aren't assessed every year.

So this doesn't help me at all.

Had no idea Cali did things like that.

That west coast is all kinds of wack-a-doo

On 3/30/2024 at 11:22 AM, nnm said:

Most employees at big box hardware stores have no idea what hardware is. Here’s a guy asking them where left-handed hammers are. 

This dude is a dick. 

If you want help at any hardware store you ask the old codger or just go to an Ace / True Value. Home Depot is for folks who already know what they want or are looking for the lowest price. You don’t get both real help and the lowest price IMO. 

The fact that this man was able to flag down 3 people at a Home Depot is a miracle and what did he do? Fucking took up their time asking a stupid question. I’ll say it again, total dick move.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

This dude is a dick. 

If you want help at any hardware store you ask the old codger or just go to an Ace / True Value. Home Depot is for folks who already know what they want or are looking for the lowest price. You don’t get both real help and the lowest price IMO. 

The fact that this man was able to flag down 3 people at a Home Depot is a miracle and what did he do? Fucking took up their time asking a stupid question. I’ll say it again, total dick move.

I agree that you need to find the old codger. I disagree that the guy is a prick. It’s the same kind of joke you play on the city cousin when they come to the country. Tease them by asking for the left-handed shovel, or hammer, or ratchet. No harm no foul. 

Kind of like this guy teasing his daughters by having them go in and ask for blinker fluid. 

Edited by nnm
  • Haha 3

On 3/30/2024 at 10:29 AM, Dnaguy said:

Had no idea Cali did things like that.

That west coast is all kinds of wack-a-doo

Yeah, I definitely prefer the never ending annual increase in property taxes that I have to pay someone to protest every year.

• Rage+1 3

47 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, I definitely prefer the never ending annual increase in property taxes that I have to pay someone to protest every year.

It indeed sucks. 
But it’s all I know…

spacer.png