Affordable Watches

GottaB

Doctor ordered me to basically buy a Iwatch 7. Everything is fine, it’s the easiest way to monitor my health.

I’ll probably go with the 45mm in black with a black leather band. If you’re going to do it, might as well do it right. 

How tough is the watch? I plan on wearing 24/7. 

It’s pretty tough. I’ve had one for a while and it didn’t show much wear. After a couple years I went back to a G-SHOCK and gave up tracking steps.

My original reason for getting one was for occasional rhythm checks. I didn’t use that feature as much as I thought.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Doctor ordered me to basically buy a Iwatch 7. Everything is fine, it’s the easiest way to monitor my health.

I’ll probably go with the 45mm in black with a black leather band. If you’re going to do it, might as well do it right. 

How tough is the watch? I plan on wearing 24/7. 

Is it to track steps, pulse ox, sleep, etc.?  The ECG option seems like a gamechanger?

43 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Is it to track steps, pulse ox, sleep, etc.?  The ECG option seems like a gamechanger?

Yeah I need the ECG function/if I’m going to wear it all the time, I want the newest model so it doesn’t become outdated in a year. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I want the newest model so it doesn’t become outdated in a year. 

Well, it is apple.....so......;)  They change models like my wife changes shoes.  They do seem like great watches..  

Here's another thought.  Have you heard of WHOOP straps?  You'd wear essentially like a bracelet on the opposite hand of your primary watch.  They are a dedicated health monitoring system that from what I hear, have many more options.  They also use a PPG-based measurement (photoplethysmography) over an ECG, which is in theory more accurate?  You'd have to ask the doc on that.  But you get to wear your normal watch.

whoop vs apple

Edited by BabaYaga

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Well, it is apple.....so......;)  They change models like my wife changes shoes.  They do seem like great watches..  

Here's another thought.  Have you heard of WHOOP straps?  You'd wear essentially like a bracelet on the opposite hand of your primary watch.  They are a dedicated health monitoring system that from what I hear, have many more options.  They also use a PPG-based measurement (photoplethysmography) over an ECG, which is in theory more accurate?  You'd have to ask the doc on that.  But you get to wear your normal watch.

whoop vs apple

Interesting. I’m probably out because of the monthly membership fee. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

It's basically direct crowdfunding without the crowdfunding source like Kickstarter. They want an idea of demand and some money in hand so they can manufacture the watches. Most of these microbrands are running on very small margins to keep the prices low, so this lets them fund their upcoming costs and reduce excess inventory which kills their small margin.

A couple months in, and I’m a fan of the Apple Watch Series 7 45mm. You can link with all of your Peloton workouts. Heart monitor and ECG functions are very solid. Pairs nicely with Air Pods Pro and any Apple phone newer than a 7. 

I would recommend jazzing it up with a nice band. The standard issue looks like some rubber Timex bullshit.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 10:47 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Mail drop
d16bd87e12191aa8929fd07029223b8f.jpg

I have that exact same watch. Used to wear it almost every single day back in the before times, but now I only wear it when I'm "dressed up." Most days at the office I'm in jeans and a polo, so just wear my more comfortable leather strap Citizen ( posted on page 4).

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

X Posting from the watch fanatics thread, but if anyone wants a moonswatch i brought a few extra back to austin from san francisco.  mission to the sun, earth, venus, and uranus.  $350 each if i meet you up in austin or if you want it shipped you have to pay shipping.  it's i think < $10 shipped with insurance. 

17 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

X Posting from the watch fanatics thread, but if anyone wants a moonswatch i brought a few extra back to austin from san francisco.  mission to the sun, earth, venus, and uranus.  $350 each if i meet you up in austin or if you want it shipped you have to pay shipping.  it's i think < $10 shipped with insurance. 

I have been looking for a forum thread or website that has pictures of the different aftermarket straps that people have put on their Moonswatches, but I haven't really been able to find something like that. 

Any of you people who are active on watch forums have a link you could share? 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I have been looking for a forum thread or website that has pictures of the different aftermarket straps that people have put on their Moonswatches, but I haven't really been able to find something like that. 

Any of you people who are active on watch forums have a link you could share? 

i love barton straps.  for my uranus i'm considering either of these white / grey.  

Edited by gsoda3
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

This is probably just outside the "affordable" category at $1200. But I've had a chance to test drive this Typsim watch for a couple of weeks and it's a beauty.

Certainly a Submariner vibe, but the dial treatment is fantastic and creates some cool visual effects with its disappearing silver gilt application for the text, minute track, and surrounding the indices.

Overall it has a very vintage-y feel in a new watch. You can also get a COSC-Certified version if you're an accuracy fanatic. 955a29974373e1c580f3ebc6af427b75.jpg6d0dcbdc0aee28a02b2e2a7128ffe75b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I decided to do some Christmas shopping on Saturday. So we hit a couple outlets. Couple malls. Wasn’t even looking for a watch. But…..While we were out shopping I ran across a Seiko “Pepsi” PADI Turtle. Good watch for not a lot of coin. I had seen the “Pepsi” before and was interested. Also looked at another Prospex model called “Save the Ocean.” 2b77d3b8a380acd9acbc9b80b73da7a4.jpg
0f82394c26424ccff12480c961e53f68.jpg

Both good watches I could wear to work and not worry about dinging up. I was having a really difficult time making a decision so I stepped away from the case and did a real quick drive by to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I ran across this next watch that Seiko fans have dubbed “King Samurai.”

8864f67fff04d44f0029284b47247819.jpg

For basically $40 more I upgraded to sapphire crystal. Ceramic bezel. Manual and auto winding. And I didn’t own a watch with a white face (no CR).

f6f4a46845c584d13e95245a12d0877e.jpg

The lume on it is intense.

88c3cc714957556aa9d1895da038d4c5.jpg

I thought I would be turned off by the bracelet but it is actually supper comfortable and light weight. I’m super stoked about the purchase for some reason and hope this watch lasts me for the next decade. Or more. Definitely think it punches well above its price range.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Moon-variant Moonswatch with some winnings out in Las Vegas last month. I have been cutting back on my spacewalks lately, so I have no real need for the stock velcro strap. I threw on a black rubber strap from Borealis instead. 

I dig it - fun little watch. It weighs next to nothing compared to all of my other watches, which are all automatic. However, I found that using the chronograph really called into focus (or lack thereof...) that my peak visual acuity is now behind me. 

This is my first chronograph, and after wearing it for a couple of weeks, I came to the conclusion that for my typical purposes, a bezel is a much easier and preferable feature. I mainly use it to keep track of when I did something (like when I placed a carry out order so I will know when it's supposed to be ready for pickup, or when I ate some edibles so I won't accidentally eat more/too many out of frustration or impatience), but I also like to set a bezel to where the hour hand will be pointing when my plane is scheduled to land so I can keep track of how much longer it will be. 

Anyway, they're fun little watches, and for $260, you can't really go wrong. 

20221209_083619.jpg

20221209_083340.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Figured this might be of interest. Bausele is an Australian brand that started in 2011. The watches are Swiss-made and Bausele does a lot to support veterans groups. Fellow Longhorn Nate Boyer is a member of their veteran's task force.

For their MIL-SPEC watches, they are assembled by veterans and 10% of sales go to veteran's support groups.

They are also big into sustainability.

Great looking, high quality watches and they support a great cause. I'm supposed to talk with them later today about becoming an affiliate. If you're interested in one of these Bausele watches, let me know - I know the US distributor.

https://www.bausele.com/pages/us-armyScreenshot_20221226-104019_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20221226-104025_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20221226_104051.jpg20221218_172138.jpg20221215_222027.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

While I'm at it, there's a microbrand based in Austin, Trafford Watch Co. They just had their Kickstarter for their new Crossroads. The Kickstarter is over and the watches are in production. I received a pre-production model, the Bluebonnet.

If you like squarish watches, this is a really great looking watch. The curved crystal is very cool and creates some really interesting effects with the light reflection. And you get to support an Austin-based brand. 20221221_214403.thumb.jpg.a869a6e6f7a47da63a7b625854110b9c.jpg20221219_122659.thumb.jpg.b4fa0a51847e49b07fb459af10c31347.jpg2022_1211_19064400.thumb.jpg.5c7578d97cdd7aab66797478c8a6ced6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 8:46 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Received this in the mail yesterday.  Canister Fieldmaster.  $300 and came with 3 straps, including a nice stainless steel one with their logo stamped into it.  Also came with a nice watch roll.

spacer.png

nice pick up, love the knife

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
On 1/4/2023 at 4:10 PM, tx 3 putt said:
I'd wear this one ....

trafford-crossroads-1.jpg

They wear really well and the curved crystal is cool. Definitely a nice, fun watch. I have the Mockingbird coming in.

post pics 

I’m stuck on a blue Tudor Pelagos 42mm with a black rubber band 

While I'm at it, there's a microbrand based in Austin, Trafford Watch Co. They just had their Kickstarter for their new Crossroads. The Kickstarter is over and the watches are in production. I received a pre-production model, the Bluebonnet.

If you like squarish watches, this is a really great looking watch. The curved crystal is very cool and creates some really interesting effects with the light reflection. And you get to support an Austin-based brand. 20221221_214403.thumb.jpg.a869a6e6f7a47da63a7b625854110b9c.jpg20221219_122659.thumb.jpg.b4fa0a51847e49b07fb459af10c31347.jpg2022_1211_19064400.thumb.jpg.5c7578d97cdd7aab66797478c8a6ced6.jpg

Placed an order today for a Bluebonnet.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:07 PM, AeroHorn said:

What are your thoughts on Movado? I like the minimalist design and was wondering if there is anything better in this price range ($500-700)? 

Decent but very overpriced. For $500 you can get a Max Bill, for $700 you can get a C63 Sealander... that's the quality you should expect in that price range.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1