Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

God bless America. Made some smoked chicken drums tonight with bbq and Buffalo sauces. This was maybe the best chicken I’ve ever cooked, certainly as far as wings/legs go. I read a recipe earlier that mentioned pulling off all the skin since I wasn’t interested in getting skin crisp, and that was such a good move, I assume like when Franklin says to remove skin from turkey breast. 275 for about 2 hours and it was perfect. 

BD682203-8459-4260-8BE0-45D63EA60C38.jpeg

714348B4-AF65-4C29-8309-63500395681E.jpeg

05152113-E57E-4049-A501-E690F1740622.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

My wife was cleaning out the freezer on Saturday and asked me to cook three chickens last night. I did them all on beer cans. I was surprised that all three fit. 

The dual-rack in front normally works well, but the one in the back kept falling over so I finally just let it be and quit trying to stand it up. 

The meat itself turned out ok but the skin was a little rubbery compared to how it's normally more crispy. I'm not sure if that's because they might not have been entirely thawed out or if there was just too much crammed into the smoker.

Nonetheless, it all tasted fine in the end. 

IMG_8264.jpg.fa2032b1ced744eaf4ab34e47a167e3d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My wife was cleaning out the freezer on Saturday and asked me to cook three chickens last night. I did them all on beer cans. I was surprised that all three fit. 

The dual-rack in front normally works well, but the one in the back kept falling over so I finally just let it be and quit trying to stand it up. 

The meat itself turned out ok but the skin was a little rubbery compared to how it's normally more crispy. I'm not sure if that's because they might not have been entirely thawed out or if there was just too much crammed into the smoker.

Nonetheless, it all tasted fine in the end. 

IMG_8264.jpg.fa2032b1ced744eaf4ab34e47a167e3d.jpg

Dude you need to do some weeding.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Dude you need to do some weeding.

LOL - It's on the list for this weekend. The entire yard is a mess from all of the workers we've had the past month replacing the roof and all of the siding. The house looks great but the yard looks terrible with all of the dead grass and dust. Those weeds are the the least of it.

7 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I like to dry brine poultry with baking powder and salt - best way I've found to crisp the skin.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Wet brine or dry brine? I'm guessing dry. Interested to try that tip.

I've also done the mayonnaise thing and it turned out crispy but also kind of greasy. 

Dry brine.  The baking powder and salt pull out the moisture in the skin.  I've used it for turkeys, whole chicken, and chicken wings.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Wife got me an eggspander for my birthday.  Can't wait to use it.

Did you ever use the EggSpander, I got one for christmas a couple years ago and havent touched it.  I thought i would use it all the time, but i just dont really know what to do with it. 

28 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Did you ever use the EggSpander, I got one for christmas a couple years ago and havent touched it.  I thought i would use it all the time, but i just dont really know what to do with it. 

Life has been crazy.  Haven't used it yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

@Moby Ric Some pics of big cooks on kamado. These are on Kamado Joe Big Joe 1. The round expander rack is from CeramicGrillStore, the flat sided expander rack is the Kamado Joe expander.

You likely get more usable space on a pellet or horizontal due to grate shape. The round kamado shape results in some awkward wasted corners, and the way the deflectors move air, the outer edge always sees more heat and airflow, so if you have a sensitive cook the outer 3" on each side isn't ideal, which really shrinks your cooking diameter. (That said, I often intentionally use that outer ring as a hotter cooking zone while something is cooking low and slow in center.)

As mentioned, if you want unattended cooking with ability to adjust from your phone anywhere, Fireboard or Flameboss temp controllers. A full load of coals will run 12hr+.

veggies.thumb.jpg.9877886820100ccc9fe8c2cd7d0efcb8.jpg

4 racks of ribs. I've done 6 with careful rib racking, it gets tight. Potato wedges holding them apart so smoke gets to all faces.

2065014457_porkribs.thumb.jpg.c890fda5368384ccfe9c4e225e3e883e.jpg

25lb of dino ribs and a 13lb brisket:

1995268660_bjbrisketdinoribs.thumb.jpg.856a3705e7539efb157840f461d72d6e.jpg

A whole lot of wings.

wings.thumb.jpg.ff131d5a5f15907e9300921cf5af76f0.jpg

shrooms.thumb.JPG.d607497f6948cb976293d87a2daca676.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

@Moby Ric Some pics of big cooks on kamado. These are on Kamado Joe Big Joe 1. The round expander rack is from CeramicGrillStore, the flat sided expander rack is the Kamado Joe expander.

You likely get more usable space on a pellet or horizontal due to grate shape. The round kamado shape results in some awkward wasted corners, and the way the deflectors move air, the outer edge always sees more heat and airflow, so if you have a sensitive cook the outer 3" on each side isn't ideal, which really shrinks your cooking diameter. (That said, I often intentionally use that outer ring as a hotter cooking zone while something is cooking low and slow in center.)

As mentioned, if you want unattended cooking with ability to adjust from your phone anywhere, Fireboard or Flameboss temp controllers. A full load of coals will run 12hr+.

veggies.thumb.jpg.9877886820100ccc9fe8c2cd7d0efcb8.jpg

4 racks of ribs. I've done 6 with careful rib racking, it gets tight. Potato wedges holding them apart so smoke gets to all faces.

2065014457_porkribs.thumb.jpg.c890fda5368384ccfe9c4e225e3e883e.jpg

25lb of dino ribs and a 13lb brisket:

1995268660_bjbrisketdinoribs.thumb.jpg.856a3705e7539efb157840f461d72d6e.jpg

A whole lot of wings.

wings.thumb.jpg.ff131d5a5f15907e9300921cf5af76f0.jpg

shrooms.thumb.JPG.d607497f6948cb976293d87a2daca676.JPG

If I could rep you more I would.  Great looking food, and thanks for the info.

Overnight brisket turned out quite well. Started the fire last night at 9:00 at 250°. Pulled off at 6:30 and rested in the oven most of the day.

Wanting to see how long the fire would last, I cooked eight 1/2# burgers starting about 9:30. An hour or so later, they were done. Then I threw on a tray of bacon.

About 2:30, the fire started dying down. Damn these kamados are efficient.

8a6f47bc6744677adb799ae7027c141e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've tried the all natural briquets on two occasions (in a WSM).  First time was fine.  Second time, temps were all over the place.  They smell like the old Stubbs briquettes.  I'm pretty much resigned to going back to KBB from now on for consistency's sake.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my BGE setup in the outdoor kitchen after way too long. Running through the low temp smokes at the moment to get the gasket set. Pork chops were round 1 and I have to say they were the best pork chops I’ve cooked. Brined they all day, smoked for about an hour and a half to 145 and they were perfect. They have entered the rotation of cooks now, just need pictures next time. Went with two chickens the next day and they came out better than the ones on the WSM. 3 hours to 165 and they were perfect. I have to say I’m a fan after this weekend, just need to get more ideas from this thread to try. The WSM has been simple, but this was even simpler and was much easier to keep temps in range.

• Like 2

Finally got my BGE setup in the outdoor kitchen after way too long. Running through the low temp smokes at the moment to get the gasket set. Pork chops were round 1 and I have to say they were the best pork chops I’ve cooked. Brined they all day, smoked for about an hour and a half to 145 and they were perfect. They have entered the rotation of cooks now, just need pictures next time. Went with two chickens the next day and they came out better than the ones on the WSM. 3 hours to 165 and they were perfect. I have to say I’m a fan after this weekend, just need to get more ideas from this thread to try. The WSM has been simple, but this was even simpler and was much easier to keep temps in range.
Welcome to the last grill and smoker you'll ever own. I've done ribs and pork butt in sub zero temps.

Did you dry brine the chicken? If you didn’t, next time salt liberally, even under the skin and put uncovered on a wire rack in the fridge overnight. Season with whatever and smoke.

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Did you dry brine the chicken? If you didn’t, next time salt liberally, even under the skin and put uncovered on a wire rack in the fridge overnight. Season with whatever and smoke.

Dry brined if for about 6 hours. I have not been doing that when I’ve smoked them before. Not sure if it was because of that or better temps, but there was very little in the way of drippings for two 5 pound birds compared to my past experience smoking them.

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Maybe 90 minutes. Check the internal temp at an hour though.

What temp are you running to get 60-90 min? I ask because everything i see online references more like 30-45 min/lb at 275, but the last time I had this at a buddy’s house, they were done right after about an hour and he swears he cooks between 275-300. It’s got me all twisted up like a pretzel. 

17 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What temp are you running to get 60-90 min? I ask because everything i see online references more like 30-45 min/lb at 275, but the last time I had this at a buddy’s house, they were done right after about an hour and he swears he cooks between 275-300. It’s got me all twisted up like a pretzel. 

At 275 it'll be almost 3 hours, at 300 it'll be closer to 2...both turn out great.

Chicken at 275-300.

My egg always cooks fast. I see people posting about a 15 hour brisket cook and I don’t think I’ve had one take over 10. Instead of 3-2-1 for ribs, all mine borderline too tender at 2-1-.5.

What's up, putos? I guess I'm a new initiate to the Surly Ceramic Cooker Secret Society. Do I need to chug a bottle of Night Train and then climb a greased pole and/or swallow a goldfish or something? Got the Primo XL, and have only done a test cook with some BBQ chicken for the Fourth.  I've only read this forum up to 2019 (bunch of sweet summer children buying briskets for $2.99/lb) but there's a bunch of great info.  I'm going to start fucking around with some briskets and will post any triumphs or Lincoln Riley level disasters. 

ODK.jpg

Edited by Tigersnake
i type dumb
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, didn't know there was a BGE thread and I posted the following on the smoker thread, but wanted to see if any experts have a good answer now that I've been redirected:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question or if it has been discussed on the prior 9 pages I am not reading, but is it possible to do prime rib in a BGE? If so, does anyone have a good process or link to one? If it isn't possible to make quality prime rib in one, forgive for being a moron. My wife is not from the US and doesn't like BBQ of any sort and has asked about this route as something different.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, didn't know there was a BGE thread and I posted the following on the smoker thread, but wanted to see if any experts have a good answer now that I've been redirected:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question or if it has been discussed on the prior 9 pages I am not reading, but is it possible to do prime rib in a BGE? If so, does anyone have a good process or link to one? If it isn't possible to make quality prime rib in one, forgive for being a moron. My wife is not from the US and doesn't like BBQ of any sort and has asked about this route as something different.

Does she not like the "smoky" taste of BBQ, the texture/bark?

I also do a pretty nice PR in the egg, but it has the seasoned taste of the egg and generates a subtle bark/crust as well.  It's replaced my oven for most things.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Does she not like the "smoky" taste of BBQ, the texture/bark?

I also do a pretty nice PR in the egg, but it has the seasoned taste of the egg and generates a subtle bark/crust as well.  It's replaced my oven for most things.  

I'm a pretty good cook. I worked in restaurants and I've read a bunch of books and like to do it, so there are a lot of things on the stove or in the oven that I can do well. I'm a terrible grill or BGE user. No one ever taught me shit about it and I've struggled with everything I've made on the BGE except for pork butt and plain old steaks. Some of it is probably my fault, but I have no idea why she doesn't like BBQ. She'll eat it, but has never once wanted to go to Truth, Pinkerton's or places in Austin, even though she'll go with me if she's feeling nice. I think the only part of BBQ that she likes is actually the bark. 

Anyway, thanks for the tips and I'll give it a go.

• Hook 'Em 1

Be SUPER careful during the last step, searing. When I did it, the flames kicked up and got out of hand quick as all that fat starts hitting it. It’s a big hunk of meat and you need to be able to grab it quickly and have a place to put it ready to go. Absolutely do not leave it alone, and if you close the lid on it, be sure to burp before opening. Serious shit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm a pretty good cook. I worked in restaurants and I've read a bunch of books and like to do it, so there are a lot of things on the stove or in the oven that I can do well. I'm a terrible grill or BGE user. No one ever taught me shit about it and I've struggled with everything I've made on the BGE except for pork butt and plain old steaks. Some of it is probably my fault, but I have no idea why she doesn't like BBQ. She'll eat it, but has never once wanted to go to Truth, Pinkerton's or places in Austin, even though she'll go with me if she's feeling nice. I think the only part of BBQ that she likes is actually the bark. 

My favorite cook is a plate of Chuck Short Ribs if you want something that will really shine on the BGE
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We don’t do a lot of BBQ because we don’t eat much red meat or pork. I use my BGE for whole chicken, Turkey breasts, the occasional pork chop cooked over low heat, chicken wings, etc. They all come out better than the oven. The grill gets used now for just seafood and vegetables (zucchini, squash, cauliflower, corn, etc). I cook more then than inside and rarely do anything that is traditional BBQ.

Going to give pizza a shot next and see how that goes.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Fuck yea you can do prime rib.  Comes out great.
Indirect around 300 for 15-20 min per pound.
pull around 110-115 and let it rest for 20 min.   while its resting, remove the plate setter and get the egg to 500 and put the roast back on for a minute or two for the crust

This, all of this, except I like to go lower and slower, I try to hold 225 until IT of 110, and rest for 30min or more (big piece of meat, takes a longer time for core temp to peak). And don't sweat getting a perfect sear at the end, each slice doesn't get that much outer crust anyway. Or preheat your oven to broil 500F and do the final sear in the oven. Taste will be the same and it's a lot easier to monitor and no risk of giant shooting flames from all the fat dripping.

For OP - some people are really sensitive to smoke taste. Are you always adding smoking wood? If so, try with no additional smoking wood. And make sure your fire is burning clean before you put the food on. Use a drip pan with water, spaced off the deflector with a few balls of foil, to keep drippings from burning on the deflectors.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's a process, like anything else.  I'd start with a smaller cut to start and get your feet wet.  If you're really feeling froggy, do two small ones at once - one inside, and one outside and see which you guys like?

Obviously with the egg maintaining temp is a step you can skip with the oven.  Dual-probe thermometers, a thermapen, etc. are really handy to have.  

Here's a good friend of mine that is pretty big into the BBQ world and goes to the all events, shows, etc.  His stuff is pretty good - here's a video of an alternative:  smoked strip roast if you want to try something else?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

For OP - some people are really sensitive to smoke taste. Are you always adding smoking wood? If so, try with no additional smoking wood. And make sure your fire is burning clean before you put the food on. Use a drip pan with water, spaced off the deflector with a few balls of foil, to keep drippings from burning on the deflectors.

Another trick are those new Prime-6 logs.  They burn hot and clean.  Very little "smoky" flavor.  Lots of Asian fusion places use them (or a derivative)

image.jpeg.dc580ed13c2b19c5a1f545c02ba03491.jpeg

On 7/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Tigersnake said:

What's up, putos? I guess I'm a new initiate to the Surly Ceramic Cooker Secret Society. Do I need to chug a bottle of Night Train and then climb a greased pole and/or swallow a goldfish or something? Got the Primo XL, and have only done a test cook with some BBQ chicken for the Fourth.  I've only read this forum up to 2019 (bunch of sweet summer children buying briskets for $2.99/lb) but there's a bunch of great info.  I'm going to start fucking around with some briskets and will post any triumphs or Lincoln Riley level disasters. 

ODK.jpg

You’ll love the Primo…have had mine for 5 years and you can smoke just about anything on it and it comes out great. Brisket, ribs, chicken. Pork butt & tenderloins, beef tenderloins, tri-tip & picanha, thick ribeyes, and yes ctj, even prime rib. Hell, I’ll smoke a pre-cooked ham just to get that smoky wood flavor. Keep us posted on what you work with!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Fuck yea you can do prime rib.  Comes out great.
Indirect around 300 for 15-20 min per pound.
pull around 110-115 and let it rest for 20 min.   while its resting, remove the plate setter and get the egg to 500 and put the roast back on for a minute or two for the crust

Thanks to the guys with the recs on here about cooking prime rib. I used the quoted approach last night and the results were outstanding. My wife and my little kids all ate seconds of the meat, which is unusual to say the least. I was also shocked at how easy it was. Will do again when I can afford to pay for a slab of meat like that. Christ it was expensive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wait for Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving sales, usually find $6-7 a pound at those times. Trim and tie into roasts of however many bones feeds your family, vac seal and freeze. They'll keep a year, which easily tides you over to the next sale.

When it's time to cook, thaw sealed for 2-3 days in fridge, then dry brine and open wire rack and cook as usual.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...

Rocked some beef ribs today on the Primo. First time I’ve rendered the fat trimmings next to the ribs for four hours and then used the resulting tallow to coat the ribs when wrapping. It was incredible and I’m definitely sold on this technique

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Big cook on Big Joe this weekend, using the grill as 4 cooking zones:

Deflectors up on the lower grate position, not down on the deflector ring. This gets them away from the fire and makes it easier to run higher temps, and also puts them closer to the food so you get more radiant heat off the deflector.

Main grate, outside ring is the hottest area, direct convection heat coming around the deflectors. Easily runs 100F hotter than center grate, if not more. Sweet potato and garlic.

Main grate center section, pork steaks, get more radiant heat off the deflectors while keeping drippings from falling down into fire. Ran this area around 275F. Being close to deflector, the bottom sees direct radiant heat from the deflectors so does cook quicker. It's similar to lower temp direct grilling here, just with no flames to flare up underneath.

Expander rack outside ring is hotter as the heat comes around the deflector and wraps up the dome, but is cooler than main grate as it is further up and the food around the lower layer blocks some heat. No radiant heat from deflector, this is all convection hot air, probably lower 300s in temp. Chicken leg quarters.

Expander rack center section is coolest, far away from the fire and the food on the lower layer blocks radiant heat. This is pure convection like an oven, and similar temp to the layer under it, 275, but with much less heat from below. Roasted carrots.

496054548_bigcook.thumb.JPG.dbc3b187bbbf8bf8677f42c8748db374.JPG

1760567397_porksteak.thumb.jpg.c20005a91f3140b0c20d24bf650fdc17.jpg  chicken.thumb.jpg.3bd5696d5b6e2a79e3ee14e8dd179fdd.jpg

garlic.thumb.jpg.143ecccaaf1b63f08fcafb040f7fbe13.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:50 AM, BabaYaga said:

Another trick are those new Prime-6 logs.  They burn hot and clean.  Very little "smoky" flavor.  Lots of Asian fusion places use them (or a derivative)

image.jpeg.dc580ed13c2b19c5a1f545c02ba03491.jpeg

I've got a box of those in my garage that my BIL gave me from his previous employment with a food distributor. Not quite sure what to do with them -- never occurred to me that I could use them in the BGE.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've got a box of those in my garage that my BIL gave me from his previous employment with a food distributor. Not quite sure what to do with them -- never occurred to me that I could use them in the BGE.

Yep.  Used them this weekend.  They work great as a coal base, with lump on top and real wood mixed in.  Use them in the offset as well.  Also used them in the firepit to give off heat with less smoke.  Lots of options.