I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

5 hours ago, Da Fino said:

So you are doing around 170 in the oven for awhile then sear the fuck out of it at the end on the grill? How long does it usually take in an oven that low?

Look up Reverse Sear, that's the technique. Works in oven or on grill if you can keep a grill zone that low. Very easy to do on a kamado, and you pick up some smoke flavor.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:29 PM, Da Fino said:

So you are doing around 170 in the oven for awhile then sear the fuck out of it at the end on the grill? How long does it usually take in an oven that low?

Don't rely on time.  All ovens hold temps differently.  Buy a probe thermometer and rely on the internal temp.  For a 1 inch thick steak I go for 125 internal and then sear for a minute and a half (or so) each side.

So I gave the Anova a spin the other night with glazed carrots and garlic chimichurri tri tip.

Holy shit! I cannot believe that I waited this long to pull the trigger on this.

Sorry no pics.

Also was very pleased with night 2 reheat. Used the vacuum sealer in the leftovers and then popped the remaining meat into the water bath and it was as good as night 1.

Game changer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So I gave the Anova a spin the other night with glazed carrots and garlic chimichurri tri tip.

Holy shit! I cannot believe that I waited this long to pull the trigger on this.

Sorry no pics.

Also was very pleased with night 2 reheat. Used the vacuum sealer in the leftovers and then popped the remaining meat into the water bath and it was as good as night 1.

Game changer.

I’m going to do our 10lb Christmas prime rib in the sous vide. I’ll put a salt/pepper/garlic/rosemary rub on it while in the bag then shove it in a 500deg oven for 15 min. I’m excited/nervous about switching it up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m going to do our 10lb Christmas prime rib in the sous vide. I’ll put a salt/pepper/garlic/rosemary rub on it while in the bag then shove it in a 500deg oven for 15 min. I’m excited/nervous about switching it up.

If you subscribe to Thermoworks emails they posted a YouTube on butchering a prime rib that is worth a watch. I still see if I can find the link.

Here it is:
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Why cook cool then reheat and sear? 

My five bone prime rib is taking its time defrosting in the fridge right now. Weighing doing it sous vide vs reverse seat. I have had some roasts turn out with a funky texture with sous vide and would hate to ruin that piece of meat. But if this thing doesn’t defrost all the way it may have to go in the drink. 

My five bone prime rib is taking its time defrosting in the fridge right now. Weighing doing it sous vide vs reverse seat. I have had some roasts turn out with a funky texture with sous vide and would hate to ruin that piece of meat. But if this thing doesn’t defrost all the way it may have to go in the drink. 

Because the family decided to postpone dinner. Was supposed to be tonight and then changed. I was afraid of letting it stay uncooked in the fridge another day. I’ve got it to rare plus and another 30 minutes at 130-135 before searing shouldn’t hurt it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Not his situation, but I do this a lot, I'll sous vide a bunch of bags of various meat to get the long 'cook' portion over with, and then freeze them. When it's time to eat it's just a matter of searing them. I could finish the sear and then bag and freeze, and just reheat at time to eat, but that requires one rebag.

Are you drying your steak after you remove it from the bag?

I quit cooking steaks sous vide. Getting a good seat took me too long since the outside of the steak was so moist. I started reverse searing in the oven and haven’t looked back. It helps that I can get my gas grill hot AF for a great sear.
This is key. Gotta pat it dry before you sear.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, Anastasis said:

I think I had my temp too high on re-heat.  Had it at 132 for 30-45 minutes and then seared for 1 minute per surface.  Turned out medium + (looked more like pork loin than beef), but still tasted really good.  Will post pic from Tapa.

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Pretty much perfect. Prime filet, lobster tail, brussel sprouts, a martini, and PT&A on the iPad. And a martini. Wife and kids came down for a sail and then left. Wife was the one to suggest I stay down here. Whatever her reason, I said yes.
67ef022015ef53c24ed42edf7a216626.jpg
7d74f577b89db56b44af625075a37ac0.jpg

“I like me. My wife likes me.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 9:40 PM, Sbbruin said:

Pretty much perfect. Prime filet, lobster tail, brussel sprouts, a martini, and PT&A on the iPad. And a martini. Wife and kids came down for a sail and then left. Wife was the one to suggest I stay down here. Whatever her reason, I said yes.

You said "martini" twice.

56d9ac0df6bd76f435b6863d5cab7135.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1