Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

yeah, thread was renamed, thus creating two threads doing the same damn thing. Was just asking a favor to make this one about news. I did not start the CR crap in the DT forum, and I know if one is made for news it will go the same way. 

Foolish of me to think something that simple could happen on the Surly. @immamac  Just retire the fucking thread. 

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

yeah, thread was renamed, thus creating two threads doing the same damn thing. Was just asking a favor to make this one about news. I did not start the CR crap in the DT forum, and I know if one is made for news it will go the same way. 

Foolish of me to think something that simple could happen on the Surly. @immamac  Just retire the fucking thread. 

If you want to talk news, talk news.  If it's in this forum, you're gonna get some political takes.  If you want to exclude those takes, then start another thread in DT and don't let the knuckle draggers cloak it up.

Most of us that post in the CR these days understand the distinction and can keep the politics out of the DT threads.  We're (although there are some exceptions) not the problem....

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

If you want to talk news, talk news.  If it's in this forum, you're gonna get some political takes.  If you want to exclude those takes, then start another thread in DT and don't let the knuckle draggers cloak it up.

In his defense, that's impossible.  

Beyond that, politics are buried in the DNA of this story, both in the US and abroad.  I guess it MIGHT be possible to start a "science only" thread and stay roughly on track, but the truth of the matter is that most people are far more interested in how covid is being battled, and once you lift the lid on that particular Pandora's Box, it's political, because here in the US, right wing America is fucking everything up.   They are countering the science on a daily basis.

It is quite literally far more their fault than anyone else's.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

In his defense, that's impossible.  

Beyond that, politics are buried in the DNA of this story, both in the US and abroad.  I guess it MIGHT be possible to start a "science only" thread and stay roughly on track, but the truth of the matter is that most people are far more interested in how covid is being battled, and once you lift the lid on that particular Pandora's Box, it's political, because here in the US, right wing America is fucking everything up.   They are countering the science on a daily basis.

It is quite literally far more their fault than anyone else's.

For real. At the time, the sitting president of the US was openly flaunting every public health measure from hosting his own super-spreader event to celebrate the 11th hour jamming through of ACB, to ripping off his facemask WHILE ACTIVELY INFECTED WITH COVID.

And yet, there's nothing political about how we responded to COVID? Gimme a break. 

My only point is there was a political thread for that discussion. That is all. I am not disagreeing that it got fucked up in the DT thread. But now trying to find news on this site is a pain in the ass. Some of us care about the international realm due to either family, friends, business or just a general interest. 

Again, retire thread. 1164 pages ain't bad. 

21 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

My only point is there was a political thread for that discussion. That is all. I am not disagreeing that it got fucked up in the DT thread. But now trying to find news on this site is a pain in the ass. Some of us care about the international realm due to either family, friends, business or just a general interest. 

Again, retire thread. 1164 pages ain't bad. 

Coming to surly for news is like going to olive garden for a gourmet meal

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo
43 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Coming to surly for news is like going to olive garden for a gourmet meal

I thought Surly was the Buca di Beppo of online news sites? 

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought Surly was the Buca di Beppo of online news sites? 

While a chain that place is actually fairly decent.

Surly is more like taco cabana at 3 am. Tastes great at the time but isn’t really as great as you thought.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Guest Lobo

Nah, I used Buca because it reminded me of that crazy rant that poster went on about 15+ years ago after he took a date there to the one in North Austin.  I don't remember any of the specifics, just that it was an epic post/date.  I think it was on hornfans actually and maybe closer to 20 years ago.  Just one of those things, you remember how hard you laughed more than you remember why you laughed.  

But it's not.  There's a large section of our country that is refusing to get the vaccine that is not talked about much on this board.  I assure that they are not Trumpers, and I fail to see anyone calling them "stupid", "ignorant", or that they are ruining our chances of beating this thing. It just isn't discussed.  Wonder why?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

But it's not.  There's a large section of our country that is refusing to get the vaccine that is not talked about much on this board.  I assure that they are not Trumpers, and I fail to see anyone calling them "stupid", "ignorant", or that they are ruining our chances of beating this thing. It just isn't discussed.  Wonder why?

Vax that thing up

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Something something bothsides amirite?? If one group has historically justified hangups on getting a vaccine recommended by scientists, that completely justifies all the batshit insane conspiracy and bad science that justifies the rights hesitancy to get vaccinated!

Nevermind that when you consider the quantity in each demo, there's a shitload more chud wypipo refusing to get vaccinated than there are black folks or other groups. 

Wonder why?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I assume you're angling for race.  Let's take a look at that.  Best data I can find for % vaccinated:

White: 47%

Hispanic:  39%

Black:  34%

Asian:  62%

Now, if we look at total population breakdown, which gets a little dicey with "white, not hispanic or latino", but bear with me, we find the following numbers of UNvaccinated Americans:

White:  105M

Hispanic:  37M

Black:  29M

Asian:  7M

Now you tell me where the main problem lies, and correlate to which demographic owns the bully pulpit and shouts the loudest.  My bad if you aren't implying a racial context, but plenty of people are.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I assure that they are not Trumpers, and I fail to see anyone calling them "stupid", "ignorant", or that they are ruining our chances of beating this thing. It just isn't discussed.  Wonder why?

I don’t have the same opinion as you do on this subject. I think the Venn diagram largely overlaps, that... wait, I must have missed your sarcasm. My bad.

Anyway, regardless of the worldwide vaccine shortage, we still are seeing disastrous situations in the US.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My bad if you aren't implying a racial context, but plenty of people are.

No I absolutely was. You can’t say look at these ignorant stupid ass Trumpers/red necks/wypipo what have you ruining the world without also mentioning that there appears to be ALOT of ignorant stupid ass POC doing the literal same exact thing.  And pretty sure there’s a shitload of granola D’s that think Zinc and vitamin C will get you thru, if Facebook is any indicator.  Pretty sure those fuckers are squarely white and were not pulling levers for the orange man. 

There’s a whole lot more to this breakdown than political lines. But still, it’s the dumbass Trumpers and right wing strengthening the variants?  34%? That’s fucking weak. Almost doubled up by our Asian community.  Are there socioeconomic factors that play into that 34%? Sure. Same ones that factor into the poor trailer trash portion of Trumpers? Likely.  

I’m not a Trumper, but would identify R, and I got it as soon as I could make it happen. Same for the wife. Same for most  of our social circle. 

The Asians look to be the only ones that truly have their shit together, but it seems they’ve been leading % for awhile now. 

I’d reckon this has a whole lot more to do with education and wealth levels than what your politics are, but that shit isn’t nearly as interesting.  It’s not nearly as fun to trash poor, uneducated people for being poor and uneducated, as it is to trash them for their political stance.  But please, don’t let me interrupt you continuing to lob shit at one subset of people you disagree with politically, while giving a wholesale pass to anyone else for the same (in)actions. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No I absolutely was. You can’t say look at these ignorant stupid ass Trumpers/red necks/wypipo what have you ruining the world without also mentioning that there appears to be ALOT of ignorant stupid ass POC doing the literal same exact thing.  And pretty sure there’s a shitload of granola D’s that think Zinc and vitamin C will get you thru, if Facebook is any indicator.  Pretty sure those fuckers are squarely white and were not pulling levers for the orange man.

spacer.png
the signal is so strong you can basically ignore everything else as noise. 

If politics isn’t the overwhelming main driver, it would take a miracle level event to create the chart above  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s a whole lot more to this breakdown than political lines. But still, it’s the dumbass Trumpers and right wing strengthening the variants?  34%? That’s fucking weak. Almost doubled up by our Asian community.  Are there socioeconomic factors that play into that 34%? Sure. Same ones that factor into the poor trailer trash portion of Trumpers? Likely.  

I’m not a Trumper, but would identify R, and I got it as soon as I could make it happen. Same for the wife. Same for most  of our social circle. 

The Asians look to be the only ones that truly have their shit together, but it seems they’ve been leading % for awhile now. 

I’d reckon this has a whole lot more to do with education and wealth levels than what your politics are, but that shit isn’t nearly as interesting.  It’s not nearly as fun to trash poor, uneducated people for being poor and uneducated, as it is to trash them for their political stance.  But please, don’t let me interrupt you continuing to lob shit at one subset of people you disagree with politically, while giving a wholesale pass to anyone else for the same (in)actions. 

"Uncomfortable facts."  I imagine when posters say the unvaccinated should be "shamed, ridiculed and outcast from society", they only mean one side of the aisle.  

Africa coming on strong. Only 1% of the population is vaccinated. Spoke with a good friend in Kenya. He was able to get dose one of AZ but was then told who knows when he can get #2. 

“A few weeks ago, we projected this milestone would be reached shortly, and it brings me no joy to be right,” WHO regional director Dr. Matshidiso Moeti said at a press conference on Thursday. “For Africa, the worst is yet to come. The end to this precipitous rise is still weeks away. Cases are doubling now every 18 days, compared with every 21 days only a week ago.”

The spike in cases has more to do with wealthy nations holding out on promised vaccines than the Delta variant, which authorities fear may mutate into a stronger African variant.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/huge-new-wave-is-the-covid-nightmare-scientists-feared-most

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Africa coming on strong. Only 1% of the population is vaccinated. Spoke with a good friend in Kenya. He was able to get dose one of AZ but was then told who knows when he can get #2. 

“A few weeks ago, we projected this milestone would be reached shortly, and it brings me no joy to be right,” WHO regional director Dr. Matshidiso Moeti said at a press conference on Thursday. “For Africa, the worst is yet to come. The end to this precipitous rise is still weeks away. Cases are doubling now every 18 days, compared with every 21 days only a week ago.”

The spike in cases has more to do with wealthy nations holding out on promised vaccines than the Delta variant, which authorities fear may mutate into a stronger African variant.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/huge-new-wave-is-the-covid-nightmare-scientists-feared-most

Doesn’t it go against natural selection for something like a pandemic virus to become more deadly over time? What you should see is what we have seen. More infectious, but weaker versions over time. 

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

"Uncomfortable facts."  I imagine when posters say the unvaccinated should be "shamed, ridiculed and outcast from society", they only mean one side of the aisle.  

No I’m a both sides asshole.  Anyone who isn’t getting the vaccine is a dumb motherfucker unless they have a real medical issue.  Black red brown yellow or blue.  

Honestly I’d be in favor of denying medical care to someone unvaccinated  who got Covid and had no good reason for it although that’s probably impossible.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Not this particular poster.  However, I am fully justified in my scorn for right-wing politicians and thought leaders who have weaponized the vaccine.  I'd guess the ratio is 10:1 or higher (RW:LW).  This IS a political phenomenon.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Honestly I’d be in favor of denying medical care to someone unvaccinated  who got Covid and had no good reason for it although that’s probably impossible.

For starters, it would put doctors and other medical personnel in an ethical bind.  

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not this particular poster.  However, I am fully justified in my scorn for right-wing politicians and thought leaders who have weaponized the vaccine.  I'd guess the ratio is 10:1 or higher (RW:LW).  This IS a political phenomenon.

I would agree with the weaponizing, the distaste of it, and your ratio.  As for refusing to get the vaccine, I'd say the ratio is closer to 3:2.

Edited by Don Johnson

22 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

There’s obvious ethical issues there and also probably legal ones. It still only has emergency approval. 

Also, how does CR feel about people with natural immunity passing on the vaccine?

• Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Also, how does CR feel about people with natural immunity passing on the vaccine?

Clinical data has shown that vaccines offer more broad protection than natural immunity (source: NIH, study). Unless you have legitimate confounding factors that make it infeasible to safely get the vaccine... You should get the vaccine. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Clinical data has shown that vaccines offer more broad protection than natural immunity (source: NIH, study). Unless you have legitimate confounding factors that make it infeasible to safely get the vaccine... You should get the vaccine. 

and being an asshole or stupid is not a legitimate factor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From the new CDC guidance:

• Vaccination is currently the leading public health prevention strategy to end the COVID-19 pandemic.  Promoting vaccination can help schools safely return to in-person learning as well as extracurricular activities and sports.
  • Masks should be worn indoors by all individuals (age 2 and older) who are not fully vaccinated. Consistent and correct mask use by people who are not fully vaccinated is especially important indoors and in crowded settings, when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
  • CDC recommends schools maintain at least 3 feet of physical distance between students within classrooms, combined with indoor mask wearing by people who are not fully vaccinated, to reduce transmission risk. When it is not possible to maintain a physical distance of at least 3 feet, such as when schools cannot fully re-open while maintaining these distances, it is especially important to layer multiple other prevention strategies, such as indoor masking.

I can hear the REEEEE from DT already - and this is good guidance to emphasize that natural immunity is not sufficient, and we should use every tool in our toolbox to fight the virus

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

There’s obvious ethical issues there and also probably legal ones. It still only has emergency approval. 

Man on the street anecdotal stuff:

I own a construction company and we have a few cold beers on Friday afternoon with some of the workers and some relatives and friends of my business partner come by from time to time.

One guy who is not vaccinated, a Trumper, is doing so because he already had a pretty bad case of Covid and his whole immediate family got it as well, just not as bad as him.  He is reluctant because of possible Covid like side effects which he does not want to repeat, plus he and his immedates already have some immunity.  Said he was waiting to see how it played out and for full authorization.  Not sure about all of his facts, but at least he has some semi valid reasoning behind his decision.

Another guy who is not vaccinated, not sure if Trumpy or not, but seems very religious, gave me the old God will take of it bit.  However, upon further questioning, finally admitted he thought the whole thing was bullshit and anybody that "had" covid had something else.  I reminded him one of our workers, who he knows, who got covid and almost died.  He insisted it was  probably a bad flu.  That's when I had to tell him to get the fuck out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

That’s not really clinical data. A clinical study would compare reinfection rates between the 2 groups and more importantly transmissibility by those in the reinfected subgroups. While it is noteworthy that the antibody response to the vax is broader than that from infection, it does not follow that natural immunity isn’t sufficient to protect the individual and help get us to herd immunity 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

While it is noteworthy that the antibody response to the vax is broader than that from infection, it does not follow that natural immunity isn’t sufficient to protect the individual and help get us to herd immunity 

Is that another way of saying the vax "overshoots" necessary antibody response, at least to some degree?  Would that be by design?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Is that another way of saying the vax "overshoots" necessary antibody response, at least to some degree?  Would that be by design?

We don’t know if it overshoots. That’s where a clinical trial would be helpful. To me, I would go with the theoretical better vax mediated immunity if I had  had symptomatic Covid.

conversely I don’t have a problem with recovered Covid patients holding off on getting the vax, especially since a few of the HCW I know who got vaxed after covid illness said it kicked their asses esp the 2nd Moderna dose. 

another anecdotal point for going ahead and getting the vaccine in my opinion is the so-called long haulers seem to get a boost with the vaccine. these folks’ immune systems could not clear the virus without a little help, so there must be something better about those copies of the spike protein floating around 

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

conversely I don’t have a problem with recovered Covid patients holding off on getting the vax, especially since a few of the HCW I know who got vaxed after covid illness said it kicked their asses esp the 2nd Moderna dose. 

I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere that if you had already had COVID, you didn't really need the second dose?

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

That’s not really clinical data. A clinical study would compare reinfection rates between the 2 groups and more importantly transmissibility by those in the reinfected subgroups. While it is noteworthy that the antibody response to the vax is broader than that from infection, it does not follow that natural immunity isn’t sufficient to protect the individual and help get us to herd immunity 

Correct. Also antibody response is only one facet of viral immunity. The T cell mediated component would be enhanced by natural immunity and that contribution is not picked up in that study or enhanced by vaccination. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

From the new CDC guidance:

I can hear the REEEEE from DT already - and this is good guidance to emphasize that natural immunity is not sufficient, and we should use every tool in our toolbox to fight the virus

A couple glaring problems to me with this guidance. Requiring young kids to wear masks when it’s not required in almost any other setting is nonsensical. And don’t tell me kids will be grouped inside, it’s different. That’s nonsense. All the overnight summer camps are back. All the sports day camps are back. Vacation Bible School. It definitely feels like a set up to try to coerce vaccination of young kids (6-12) for a disease that causes them almost no symptoms. To no one’s surprise here, I find that dubious at best. 

For older kids (12-18), punishing those who don’t get vaccinated perhaps because they have natural immunity is again nonsensical. Again to no one’s surprise, I think attempting to coerce young males that have already had covid to be vaccinated given the warning signs out there, is wrongheaded at best, and negligent at worst. 

Thank God there’s a large segment of the population that will disregard this. For sure my school district will. 

• Fuck You 4

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

A couple glaring problems to me with this guidance. Requiring young kids to wear masks when it’s not required in almost any other setting is nonsensical. And don’t tell me kids will be grouped inside, it’s different. That’s nonsense. All the overnight summer camps are back. All the sports day camps are back. Vacation Bible School. It definitely feels like a set up to try to coerce vaccination of young kids (6-12) for a disease that causes them almost no symptoms. To no one’s surprise here, I find that dubious at best. 

For older kids (12-18), punishing those who don’t get vaccinated perhaps because they have natural immunity is again nonsensical. Again to no one’s surprise, I think attempting to coerce young males that have already had covid to be vaccinated given the warning signs out there, is wrongheaded at best, and negligent at worst. 

Thank God there’s a large segment of the population that will disregard this. For sure my school district will. 

I know you're not a local so this probably missed your radar, but:

https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2021/07/07/dozens-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-texas-church-camp

LEAGUE CITY, Texas – Dozens of children and adults have tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a Texas church camp. Three tested positive for the highly contagious delta variant.

Fifty-seven adults and youths from Galveston County tested positive, including six patients who were fully vaccinated against COVID-19, said Dr. Philip Keiser, the county’s local health authority. More than 90 others, including some from outside the county, have reported positive test results to Galveston County health officials, he said.

More than 450 adults and grade-six-to-12 youths attended the camp organized near Giddings, Texas, by Clear Creek Community Church in League City, a Houston suburb in Galveston County.

But I'm sure you're right, putting thousands of kids in one building close together without facemasks will go super duper double plus great

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I know you're not a local so this probably missed your radar, but:

https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2021/07/07/dozens-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-texas-church-camp

LEAGUE CITY, Texas – Dozens of children and adults have tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a Texas church camp. Three tested positive for the highly contagious delta variant.

Fifty-seven adults and youths from Galveston County tested positive, including six patients who were fully vaccinated against COVID-19, said Dr. Philip Keiser, the county’s local health authority. More than 90 others, including some from outside the county, have reported positive test results to Galveston County health officials, he said.

More than 450 adults and grade-six-to-12 youths attended the camp organized near Giddings, Texas, by Clear Creek Community Church in League City, a Houston suburb in Galveston County.

But I'm sure you're right, putting thousands of kids in one building close together without facemasks will go super duper double plus great

Yeah I saw that. It’s going to happen. Btw you seem to hate on natural immunity, I wonder how many re-infections there were? Was it more or less than the 6 vaccinated positives that happened? Would be interesting to know.

• Fuck You 4

50 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah I saw that. It’s going to happen. Btw you seem to hate on natural immunity, I wonder how many re-infections there were? Was it more or less than the 6 vaccinated positives that happened? Would be interesting to know.

gee, it sure sounds like it's a highly contagious disease if it's able to breakthrough natural immunity and some of the vaccinated! Maybe we should take every possible precaution to stop the spread of it? 

• Like 1

this study from Uk has some interesting info on comorbidities of kids that do poorly. More than half of the kids that died had complex neurological issues, mostly genetic. So these are severely, chronically ill kids. 

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

this study from Uk has some interesting info on comorbidities of kids that do poorly. More than half of the kids that died had complex neurological issues, mostly genetic. So these are severely, chronically ill kids. 

For the umpteenth time - vaccinating kids isn't about protecting that individual child, it's about removing vectors for COVID to mutate and be transmitted and spread so that we can stamp it out or at least get on top of it. 

It's impressive how you have consistently been underselling COVID and posting against every public health measure. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

For the umpteenth time - vaccinating kids isn't about protecting that individual child, it's about removing vectors for COVID to mutate and be transmitted and spread so that we can stamp it out or at least get on top of it. 
It's impressive how you have consistently been underselling COVID and posting against every public health measure. 

This. When a poster’s history is 100% against every health measure (oh, but you’ll see, late into he game, he’ll offer a minor concession that vaccines might be ok for SOME to choose - see, he’s not against EVERYTHING!), he’s a troll. He’s a shithead evil troll, serving god knows what mission, but without question with a goal to inflict harm.
  • Like 1

My wife and I that are right of center politically got the vaccine very early on, definitely earlier than we should have, but right place right time etc. 

Parents in late 60’s that lean left got it as soon as they could as well. 

Brother and one sister and their spouses opted not to get it who both lean way right. Brother and most of his family got covid early on and won’t get the vaccine, I guess because they think the natural immunity covers them. Sister and BIL won’t get it because he doesn’t trust it, and sister is trying to get pregnant and she isn”t sure about effects on fertility. (She’s had lots of pregnancy troubles)

Other sister is wayyy left of center politically, I’m talking dyed short hair, granola Subaru left, and she won’t come to family gatherings until everyone has been vaccinated. Optimal outcome as no one likes that sister anyways.

No real point to this other than to say it’s interesting how varied opinions on covid and the vaccine can be even within one family.

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Other sister is wayyy left of center politically, I’m talking dyed short hair, granola Subaru left, and she won’t come to family gatherings until everyone has been vaccinated. Optimal outcome as no one likes that sister anyways.

Lol she may have made the same calculation