Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's not what I've been reading.  2-4 weeks has been the period of time I've seen. I think people have been relaxing around each other.  

Not saying you're wrong, but how much later on do you think it should be ?  

Maybe certain groups have been relaxing, as seen in TV, but most people are still apprehensive about easing up on social distancing. I don’t have a time frame, just didn’t expect an uptick right away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe certain groups have been relaxing, as seen in TV, but most people are still apprehensive about easing up on social distancing. I don’t have a time frame, just didn’t expect an uptick right away.

Fair enough. 

Opening up will still be harder on cities with more shared spaces. Those with more public transportation, and more people living in multi family than single family homes. They have no choice but to share the same hall way, stair way, elevator and front door just to walk themselves or a pet, leave the house etc. Shared laundry/amenities can’t help. True social distancing may not be possible in these areas.
I don’t think these areas would have the same results as Georgia if they have the same “plan” and guidelines for reopening. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Opening up will still be harder on cities with more shared spaces. Those with more public transportation, and more people living in multi family than single family homes. They have no choice but to share the same hall way, stair way, elevator and front door just to walk themselves or a pet, leave the house etc. Shared laundry/amenities can’t help. True social distancing may not be possible in these areas.
I don’t think these areas would have the same results as Georgia if they have the same “plan” and guidelines for reopening. 

You can't just say "Georgia".  You have to state the location.  Atlanta or Rural Ga.  Density definitely seems to be a contributing factor.

Went over to my friends’ house yesterday for a drive-by to celebrate their son’s high school graduation. I took Old Spicewood Springs Road to cut under 360 past the Bull Creek Greenbelt, and there were a ton of people gathering in close quarters in and along the creek. It looked like every other Memorial Day Weekend.

Also drove by Woodrow’s on Burnet on the way home and there was a good crowd on the patio. It wasn’t packed, but there were definitely groups of folks sitting close together who likely aren’t in the same household.

I think a growing number of Austinites are tired of isolation and saying “fuck it.”

I expect any spike to be later on, as people really begin to relax around one another.

Yeah. Legally opening doesn't mean much if peoole don't change their behavior. Anecdotally it seems the latter is starting to happen now, at least to some extent.

Port Oconnor is operating like there's no virus for the most part - beaches were packed and full of people, bars and restaurants (all three of em lol) full too. Mostly young folks down here, but there's a ton of olds out and about and NOT distancing. Hopefully everyone being outdoors and in the sun and heat will keep everyone safe and healthy

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If we can trust that respiratory droplets are the main transmission source and that surfaces don’t contribute much, just wearing masks should be sufficient to keep the spread low enough. 

If we can trust that respiratory droplets are the main transmission source and that surfaces don’t contribute much, just wearing masks should be sufficient to keep the spread low enough. 

Yeah....and it seems that folks are all on board with wearing masks, right? Jesus....the absolutely vicious, spit-flinging anger I see all over to even the REQUEST that people wear masks...fuck.
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Mask usage is dropping quickly from what I’ve seen the last two weeks. We go to a Farmer’s Market early on Sundays and it went from mandatory 2 weeks ago to suggested with well under half wearing them today. People volume is still way under normal levels at least, so you can get in and out without rubbing up against anyone. Local grocery stores are still requiring them, but most others have lifted the requirement outside of Costco.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....and it seems that folks are all on board with wearing masks, right? Jesus....the absolutely vicious, spit-flinging anger I see all over to even the REQUEST that people wear masks...fuck.

It seems like a big ask for the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY crowd. Besides, they are freedom loving patriots, not sheep.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brew said:

Mask usage is dropping quickly from what I’ve seen the last two weeks.

Same here.  I shop at the Central Market on North Lamar.  A few weeks ago I don't think I saw anyone without a mask.  I went yesterday morning and was surprised to see a handful of shoppers with no mask. 

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same here.  I shop at the Central Market on North Lamar.  A few weeks ago I don't think I saw anyone without a mask.  I went yesterday morning and was surprised to see a handful of shoppers with no mask. 

Americans won’t learn until we end up at home again. And even then....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Stop it. Sure there are lots of people who don't want to wear a mask, or will bitch about doing it (and will wear it),but there are millions more who will wear one, and currently are. There are always gonna be people who think rules don't apply to them.  SEE: Speeding tickets on court dockets.

Guest Lobo
57 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I haven't seen any updates on that research since middle of last week when CDC said it doesn't survive nearly as long as they once thought on dry surfaces.  Any updates or reliable studies from other institutions?  I'd love to not have to quarantine my groceries and deliveries in my garage for 72 hours.  I should also revisit my policy of only sneezing on strangers 3 times per day.  

Stop it. Sure there are lots of people who don't want to wear a mask, or will bitch about doing it (and will wear it),but there are millions more who will wear one, and currently are. There are always gonna be people who think rules don't apply to them.  SEE: Speeding tickets on court dockets.

Except 99% of us who get speeding tickets acknowledge that yep, it’s the speed limit, and yep, we took a risk in breaking it and now face the consequences.
We DON’T scream about “MAH FREEDOMS!!!” There are millions who are steadfastly refusing to wear a mask because “it’s all about control, it’s a lie, it’s fascism, etc.”. A single little thing...mostly to protect your fellow man...and a huge chunk of us says “FUCK THAT AND FUCK YOU.”
We deserve all we’ve gotten, and all that’s coming to us.
  • Like 5

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Except 99% of us who get speeding tickets acknowledge that yep, it’s the speed limit, and yep, we took a risk in breaking it and now face the consequences.
We DON’T scream about “MAH FREEDOMS!!!” There are millions who are steadfastly refusing to wear a mask because “it’s all about control, it’s a lie, it’s fascism, etc.”. A single little thing...mostly to protect your fellow man...and a huge chunk of us says “FUCK THAT AND FUCK YOU.”
We deserve all we’ve gotten, and all that’s coming to us.

Yep ok forget about the speeding analogy. There are 10's and 10's of millions not screaming about masks. I see more, and more folks wearing them around here. Was in Lowes this am, 3 weeks ago 15-20% wearing masks.  Today 75-85% easily.

Gov. of Va. is requiring masks in all public spaces starting Tuesday. Funny thing is he was just photographed walking around  the Va. beach oceanfront, in a fairly large group (more than 10) without a mask on.... Makes it kinda easy to complain when your elected officials don't practice what they're requiring the rest of us to do....

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Port Oconnor is operating like there's no virus for the most part - beaches were packed and full of people, bars and restaurants (all three of em lol) full too. Mostly young folks down here, but there's a ton of olds out and about and NOT distancing. Hopefully everyone being outdoors and in the sun and heat will keep everyone safe and healthy

The same problems in Virginia Beach, VA.  Here's another pic of a lack of social distancing (that's the governor, BTW):

EYvDiysX0AEtmBQ?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep ok forget about the speeding analogy. There are 10's and 10's of millions not screaming about masks. I see more, and more folks wearing them around here. Was in Lowes this am, 3 weeks ago 15-20% wearing masks.  Today 75-85% easily.

Gov. of Va. is requiring masks in all public spaces starting Tuesday. Funny thing is he was just photographed walking around  the Va. beach oceanfront, in a fairly large group (more than 10) without a mask on.... Makes it kinda easy to complain when your elected officials don't practice what they're requiring the rest of us to do....

Between the statement that’s masks don’t help (lie in effort to manipulate supply) and the various government entities giving press conferences in groups without masks to reporters without masks, that’s all the ammunition needed by the hoax crowd. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Between the statement that’s masks don’t help (lie in effort to manipulate supply) and the various government entities giving press conferences in groups without masks to reporters without masks, that’s all the ammunition needed by the hoax crowd. 

Hoax ?  No, you're requiring people to wear a mask in public, and you don't ??  Screw that.  I've been wearing a mask, and I don't have any issue with it, but if you're gonna make it law, follow your own damn law, it ain't that hard.

EDIT: That's not politics, that's hypocricy.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Lobo said:

Good news from Justhookit and his walking germ transfer of a wife. they must be quite pleased. What a world 

What in the ever living fuck are you talking about? I don’t have a wife, do have a girlfriend but I’ve never mentioned her here. Seriously, get some help.

Edited by justhookit

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Imagine being a college graduate in the 2020 job market. This is an impact I hadn’t really thought about.

Yeah kinda like people who graduated between 2008 and 2010. That was fun 

• Like 2

Guest Lobo
18 minutes ago, justhookit said:

What in the ever living fuck are you talking about? I don’t have a wife, do have a girlfriend but I’ve never mentioned her here. Seriously, get some help.

Yeah, sorry about that.  Anyway, she sounds nice.  

Back to the last page, here's the most recent thing I could find from a reliable source about the surface half-life of the virus and it possibly being not quite as long as once thought:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/5/22/21265180/cdc-coronavirus-surfaces-social-distancing-guidelines-covid-19-risks

It's some good news, but also some bad news.  This thing travels through the air as we talk much more robustly than perhaps once thought, even better than the flu or cold does.  So you can still share a joint with someone, just don't talk between drags.  

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There is also a massive group of people that believe this is all a big hoax concocted by evil politicians. They were told this by the person ultimately responsible for bringing this crisis to an end. So the act of wearing a mask (something that without question helps prevent the spread of this virus and can play a huge role in allowing us to re-open the economy without suffering a lot more deaths) would be an assault on their belief structure.

Its not about freedom or individual rights. It’s about ignorance, plain and simple.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't have any problem with people not wearing a mask outside, in open spaces.  Folks aren't wearing them in our neighborhood on their evening walks and runs -- plenty of room, little proximity (although I have seen a few folks wear them -- fine, but not particularly necessary).  Folks in stores, doing a decent job -- high mask usage.

But you and I both know that it's largely broken down on political lines.  I live in "blue" Austin, relatively central.  Was on the phone this morning with a fishing buddy who lives 12 miles away, in a "red" neighborhood in Round Rock.  He said mask usage in stores and such is very low.

How in the blue fuck a simple thing like wearing a mask when you are among other people in an indoor space -- a very minor inconvenience, done mostly for the sake of those around you -- became a goddamned political BATTLE (not an issue, but a fucking angry FIGHT)....I just don't understand.

I don't speed through a school zone.  Not just because it's a law, but because I should slow down to help protect kids who may make a dumb decision and cross without looking.  I don't carelessly discard lit fire materials, cigars, etc., not just because it's the law, but because I don't want to start a fire that destroys someone's home or livelihood.  I don't cough in someone else's face because I don't want to get them sick.  I act with just a modicum of decency and concern for my fellow man.  Sometimes, that means that I don't get to do exactly what I want to do in a given moment.

Again, the concept of "maybe I should slightly inconvenience myself in the interest of protecting my fellow man" is a fucking knock-down, spittle-flinging, rage-filled BATTLE.  What the everloving fuck is wrong with us?  What the actual fuck?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

There is also a massive group of people that believe this is all a big hoax concocted by evil politicians. They were told this by the person ultimately responsible for bringing this crisis to an end. So the act of wearing a mask (something that without question helps prevent the spread of this virus and can play a huge role in allowing us to re-open the economy without suffering a lot more deaths) would be an assault on their belief structure.

Its not about freedom or individual rights. It’s about ignorance, plain and simple.

I don't know how massive it is. My comment was aimed at Brisket, and his usual woe-es me the sky is falling.  The hoax people are a fraction of the population. That you hear from them more is because those kinds of folks want to scream the news about hoaxes.  The rest of us, the VAST majority go about our day trying to do the right thing, and think about those around us.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't have any problem with people not wearing a mask outside, in open spaces.  Folks aren't wearing them in our neighborhood on their evening walks and runs -- plenty of room, little proximity (although I have seen a few folks wear them -- fine, but not particularly necessary).  Folks in stores, doing a decent job -- high mask usage.

But you and I both know that it's largely broken down on political lines.  I live in "blue" Austin, relatively central.  Was on the phone this morning with a fishing buddy who lives 12 miles away, in a "red" neighborhood in Round Rock.  He said mask usage in stores and such is very low.

How in the blue fuck a simple thing like wearing a mask when you are among other people in an indoor space -- a very minor inconvenience, done mostly for the sake of those around you -- became a goddamned political BATTLE (not an issue, but a fucking angry FIGHT)....I just don't understand.

I don't speed through a school zone.  Not just because it's a law, but because I should slow down to help protect kids who may make a dumb decision and cross without looking.  I don't carelessly discard lit fire materials, cigars, etc., not just because it's the law, but because I don't want to start a fire that destroys someone's home or livelihood.  I don't cough in someone else's face because I don't want to get them sick.  I act with just a modicum of decency and concern for my fellow man.  Sometimes, that means that I don't get to do exactly what I want to do in a given moment.

Again, the concept of "maybe I should slightly inconvenience myself in the interest of protecting my fellow man" is a fucking knock-down, spittle-flinging, rage-filled BATTLE.  What the everloving fuck is wrong with us?  What the actual fuck?

Out in open public spaces is worthless unless there are lots of folks in that space.  What I mean is public spaces in large groups or indoors of course.  

I don't pay much attention tO the people screaming about their rights, and masks. They're a minority. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's a lot of words for saying there's no good reason to go to Round Rock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The rest of us, the VAST majority go about our day trying to do the right thing, and think about those around us.

That is definitely not true, but again it’s mostly driven by politics. You’d be hard-pressed to find people wearing masks in heavily red populations. Then in heavy blue areas, it’s the opposite.

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

That's a lot of words for saying there's no good reason to go to Round Rock.

Well, that's not entirely true.  The Eddie Bauer outlet is up in Round Rock, and that's where my wife and I got good down winter parkas for visiting our daughter in Canada.  And the Ikea is up there as well -- got a new dresser and desk for the boy.

And....that about covers Round Rock positives.

Oh, I like hitting an Express game every now and then -- minor league baseball is cool.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't know how massive it is. My comment was aimed at Brisket, and his usual woe-es me the sky is falling.  The hoax people are a fraction of the population. That you hear from them more is because those kinds of folks want to scream the news about hoaxes.  The rest of us, the VAST majority go about our day trying to do the right thing, and think about those around us.

In Austin, 95% of the people not wearing masks in stores are high school and college aged kids. Saw it starting Friday. I don’t think these are the “group” he was thinking about....

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't know how massive it is. My comment was aimed at Brisket, and his usual woe-es me the sky is falling.  The hoax people are a fraction of the population. That you hear feom them more is because those kinds of folks want to scream the news about hoaxes.  The rest of us, the VAST majority go about our day trying to do the right thing, and think about those around us.

There's city and state level leaders who have propagated the "it's a hoax" shit. It's echoed on the less fact concerned news networks. If it's a minority of people, they're loud and visible enough and with a big enough platform to make that idea not be so fringe anymore. 

Just now, Captainant said:

There's city and state level leaders who have propagated the "it's a hoax" shit. It's echoed on the less fact concerned news networks. If it's a minority of people, they're loud and visible enough and with a big enough platform to make that idea not be so fringe anymore. 

www.twitter.com

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away