Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Why Covid-19 is so much worse than the flu:

Researchers who examined the lungs of patients killed by covid-19 found evidence that it attacks the lining of blood vessels there, a critical difference from the lungs of people who died of the flu, according to a report published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Critical parts of the lungs of patients infected with the novel coronavirus also suffered many microscopic blood clots and appeared to respond to the attack by growing tiny new blood vessels, the researchers reported.

The observations in a small number of autopsied lungs buttress reports from physicians treating covid-19 patients. Doctors have described widespread damage to blood vessels and the presence of blood clots that would not be expected in a respiratory disease.

“What’s different about covid-19 is the lungs don’t get stiff or injured or destroyed before there’s hypoxia,” the medical term for oxygen deprivation, said Steven J. Mentzer, a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and part of the team that wrote the report. “For whatever reason, there is a vascular phase” in addition to damage more commonly associated with viral diseases such as the flu, he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-hot-spots-erupt-across-the-country-experts-warn-of-possible-outbreaks-in-south/2020/05/20/49bc6d10-9ab4-11ea-a282-386f56d579e6_story.html

• Like 1

Why Covid-19 is so much worse than the flu:

Researchers who examined the lungs of patients killed by covid-19 found evidence that it attacks the lining of blood vessels there, a critical difference from the lungs of people who died of the flu, according to a report published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Critical parts of the lungs of patients infected with the novel coronavirus also suffered many microscopic blood clots and appeared to respond to the attack by growing tiny new blood vessels, the researchers reported.

The observations in a small number of autopsied lungs buttress reports from physicians treating covid-19 patients. Doctors have described widespread damage to blood vessels and the presence of blood clots that would not be expected in a respiratory disease.

“What’s different about covid-19 is the lungs don’t get stiff or injured or destroyed before there’s hypoxia,” the medical term for oxygen deprivation, said Steven J. Mentzer, a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and part of the team that wrote the report. “For whatever reason, there is a vascular phase” in addition to damage more commonly associated with viral diseases such as the flu, he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-hot-spots-erupt-across-the-country-experts-warn-of-possible-outbreaks-in-south/2020/05/20/49bc6d10-9ab4-11ea-a282-386f56d579e6_story.html

In a year there will be a lot of discussion about those that survived, but with long term complications.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

No. But the next rando salesman who comes to my door without a mask on may find himself staring down the barrel of one of my 5.56 caliber American-made freedom delivery devices. No sign needed, eventually the word will get around. 

previously a masked guy coming to your door would have warranted the exact same response....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Lurch said:

This is the reason I’m not to keen on going out yet. We don’t know what damage this does long term. Maybe it’s nothing. Probably is nothing. But I don’t want bite that bullet if I don’t have to. 

Speaking of masks, Austin-based startup is building a factory in Pflugerville to make PPE.  Plans to eventually make N95 stuff.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/1-2m-masks-in-one-day-austin-start-up-opens-up-facility-in-pflugerville/

An Austin-based startup has raised $5 million to set up shop in Pflugerville.

Armbrust America has been nearly five months in the making. Armbrust began brainstorming the mask-making idea once he recognized quickly the need to mass-produce personal protective equipment here in America. 

“There’s no incentive to automate when China can produce something so much cheaper than we can do in the United States,” said Armbrust. “If you can automate something, you can remove the strategic advantage China has over cheaper labor. You just remove it. It’s about investing in that automation. We can build this stuff anywhere now.” 

Lloyd Armbrust started testing the process the first week of May. In recent days, he received FDA approval and launched online sales. 

Armbrust says the vast majority of PPE is currently manufactured in China, and there’s a global bidding war driving prices to all-time highs. Armbrust says he can offer these masks at the same price as Chinese suppliers, so that American’s don’t have to choose between Made-in-America quality and price.

“This machine is truly an American invention. While none of the core parts of this product are from America, it’s only been assembled here,” said Armbrust. “Most of this technology is invented here, but then it goes to China to be produced.” 

Armbrust says it’s the mass production we lacked. If necessary, he has plans to scale production to billions annually if needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Chill dude. I’ll wear one next time. I was actually just posing as a pest control guy, she told me you wouldn’t be home.

If that’s the case you look like a malnourished meth head. I don’t think my wife is in to that but if she is at least wear a mask. 

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I find it very telling that those among you that say we should have shut down sooner can't or won't address these simple questions.  Nothing prevented NY , NY, Texas, Fla, American Samoa from acting on their own when things started going south.    Very interdasting......

Wait, is this the thread where you’re asking people to share their opinion regarding the responses of US politicians to this pandemic?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Wait, is this the thread where you’re asking people to share their opinion regarding the responses of US politicians to this pandemic?

nope.  this is the thread to say FUCK CHINA!

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Protecting the health and economic wellbeing of the American population is clearly the responsibility of the Chinese government.  I don’t know why people don’t get this.

I know its so fucking simple...

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Jackass door to door salesman just came by my house. No mask, nothing.  Just standing in my doorway as the kids opened the door to go out front and play. Kids had to come get me from the office. Told him to get the fuck off my property, put on a mask if he was going to go talk to everyone of my neighbors, and stop being a dip shit.

Look I really don't give a fuck if you need to make some sales and your model is pimping pest control door to door, but step the fuck well back and wear a mask if your coming on to my property you dip shit. 

You should have answered the door naked holding a gun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Ok, fuck you and fuck China. I guess the entire world, outside of China, should be beating themselves up over this pandemic and not mention the fuckers who tried to sweep it under the rug and lied to them.

This will blow your mind, but there have been varying levels of success/failure by countries based on their responses to this pandemic.

and, uh, can you think of any other fucker that tried to sweep it under the rug and lied to us?

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 3

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Protecting the health and economic wellbeing of the American population is clearly the responsibility of the Chinese government.  I don’t know why people don’t get this.

I generally agree with your posting facts as a reminder of America’s self-inflicted incompetence, but you really fell short in that bit. The  coverup actions of the Chinese communist dictator’s government is going to wind up killing more Americans than Tojo’s did. They own it, and that is a fact.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This will blow your mind, but there have been varying levels of success/failure by countries based on their responses to this pandemic.

and, uh, can you think of any other fucker that tried to sweep it under the rug and lied to us?

You mean,, different types of government and people of varying discipline react differently to the same situation? Unbelievable.

Yes, I guess Fauci downplaying this thing should piss us off more, but he was basing his advice of misinformation from China and the CDC, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

not sure if this has been discussed yet but...

America’s most illegal record has been obliterated

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/the-cannonball-run-record-has-been-obliterated

All the pearl-clutching about the morality of performing a Cannonball Run during a global pandemic seems to have been for nothing, with Ed Bolian reporting America’s most illegal record has been beaten seven times in the span of just five weeks.

According to Bolian, who has been in contact with the new record holders, the time to beat is now less than 26 hours. A sub 28-hour Cannonball Run was once unthinkable.

While he has not disclosed the exact time, that frame of reference means the drivers would have had to achieve an average speed of at least 173km/h for the 4507km journey.

Accommodating for fuel stops, the team’s peak and cruising speeds are probably far in excess of that figure.

Bolian states that the new record holders averaged 193km/h when crossing “several” States. It is unknown what car the new record holders used.

What is known is that they were well prepared, with over 30 spotters littered across the country, along with a heavily modified vehicle.

According to Bolian, its not just the outright record that has been broken, with the solo-driver, diesel-powered, and coast-to-coast-to-coast Cannonball records all tumbling – the last of which having almost 20 hours shaved off the previous record time.

This new flurry of record attempts follows a team of drivers who took advantage of empty roads that had been created by the coronavirus lockdown to set a cross-country time of 26 hours and 38 minutes.

This unknown team used an Audi A8 for the record, with large marine fuel tanks strapped into the boot.

The Cannonball Run is a simple, and highly illegal, record that despite having no governing body, is infamous within car culture.

Bolian is a former competitor, record holder, and now somewhat of a defacto adjudicator on the record.

To set a Cannonball Run record, you must traditionally start at the Red Ball Garage in Manhattan, then traverse the entire United States of America as fast as possible to finish at the Portofini Inn in Redondo Beach, California,

Modern technology, and ultra-prepared teams, have resulted in the record falling to unthinkable levels in recent years, with teams maintaining crazy speeds on public roads to secure their place in motoring infamy.

The new record holders are reported to be preparing a documentary to accompany their official record announcement.

• Fuck You 4

14 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You mean,, different types of government and people of varying discipline react differently to the same situation? Unbelievable.

Yes, I guess Fauci downplaying this thing should piss us off more, but he was basing his advice of misinformation from China and the CDC, right?

Ah yes, outrage regarding misinformation from politicians and government officials...

Is it really misinformation that upsets you, or is just the misinformation that comes from certain people? 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ah yes, outrage regarding misinformation from politicians and government officials...

Is it really misinformation that upsets you, or is just the misinformation that comes from certain people? 

I feel like you’re arguing with to yourself in a public forum, weird.

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I feel like you’re arguing with to yourself in a public forum, weird.

Believe it or not, there’s a group of people with enough intellectual honesty to recognize the reality of the situation and assign fault with those who deserve blame.

case in point was @Onboard 2.0’s ill-fated gotcha upthread where he asked folks to assign blame to certain politicians based on their response...believe it or not, in the forum where those discussions are supposed to take place, there was universal condemnation of the NY politicians’ initial comments downplaying the virus and their subsequent policy responses.

But anyways, you should not like it when anyone lies and misleads you. But you actually enjoy it when certain people do so...because you’re a partisan cuck.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

43 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

And the WHO whores too, would be my guess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Believe it or not, there’s a group of people with enough intellectual honesty to recognize the reality of the situation and assign fault with those who deserve blame.

case in point was @Onboard 2.0’s ill-fated gotcha upthread where he asked folks to assign blame to certain politicians based on their response...believe it or not, in the forum where those discussions are supposed to take place, there was universal condemnation of the NY politicians’ initial comments downplaying the virus and their subsequent policy responses.

But anyways, you should not like it when anyone lies and misleads you. But you actually enjoy it when certain people do so...because you’re a partisan cuck.

Believe it or not,  there’s a thread to discuss this. As I’ve stated multiple times, I didn’t vote for Trump and only support him to the extent I would any other president. I don’t believe in blindly following any party. On the contrary, you seem to be quite partisan. So much so that you cannot stand to refrain from talking politics in this thread.

If only we didn’t have a dictatorship in this country. If only there was a balance of power and responsibility. Then blame could be equally shared. A man can dream.

It’s not really misinformation that upsets you, just the misinformation that comes from certain people.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Nope, what I was doing was repsonding to a poster that stated, had we (officials) acted a week earlier we'd have saved 35k lives. THAT poster was quite possibly  making a political statement. Any reason why you aren't pointing that out ?  Care to respond to that ?

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away