Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Are you telling me Essential Oils don't work? Because I know a bunch of people on Facebook who will tell you differently. 

Essential oils do work (aroma therapy / sensory mood effects).

Just not the way people want them to (magic).

Edited by JBJ

40 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Researchers from the University of Lethbridge said a study in April showed at least 13 cannabis plants were high in CBD that appeared to affect the ACE2 pathways that the bug uses to access the body.

“We were totally stunned at first, and then we were really happy,” one of the researchers, Olga Kovalchuk, told CTV News.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Ummm no. Maybe the reasonable ones. Otherwise we will end up chasing our tails and wasting resources or in this case, eating a lot of Taco Bell and Cheetos.

And the study is sponsored by groups interested in pushing CBD. I’m sure they are as trustworthy as big pharma.

Yeah, this was the most telling part of the article:

41 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

The researchers are seeking funding to continue their efforts to support scientific initiatives to address COVID-19.

• Like 1

1 in 4 at a Tyson plant in NC test positive

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/business/tyson-plant-north-carolina-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Of the 2,200 employees at Tyson Foods' Wilkesboro, North Carolina, poultry facility, 570 employees tested positive or Covid-19. That's a quarter of the staff.

Tyson (TSN) said Wednesday that a majority of employees with coronavirus were asymptomatic and otherwise would not have been identified as having Covid-19 had they not been tested. Tyson said most of the tests were conducted on site between May 6 and May 9.

Tyson didn't close the Wilkesboro plant — President Donald Trump signed an executive orderthat compels plants to remain open during the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, Tyson said it carried out "additional deep cleaning" in mid-May with limited operations. Production has ramped up since the cleaning, the company said. Sick employees will receive paid leave and can return to work when they meet "criteria established by both the CDC and Tyson."

Welp.

Just rub a ‘lil CBD on that

A team of Canadian scientists believes it has found strong strains of cannabis that could help prevent or treat coronavirus infections, according to interviews and a study.

Researchers from the University of Lethbridge said a study in April showed at least 13 cannabis plants were high in CBD that appeared to affect the ACE2 pathways that the bug uses to access the body.

“We were totally stunned at first, and then we were really happy,” one of the researchers, Olga Kovalchuk, told CTV News.

The results, printed in online journal Preprints, indicated hemp extracts high in CBD may help block proteins that provide a “gateway” for COVID-19 to enter host cells.

Kovalchuk’s husband, Igor, suggested cannabis could reduce the virus’ entry points by up to 70 percent. “Therefore, you have more chance to fight it,” he told CTV.

“Our work could have a huge influence — there aren’t many drugs that have the potential of reducing infection by 70 to 80 percent,” he told the Calgary Herald.

While they stressed that more research was needed, the study gave hope that the cannabis, if proven to modulate the enzyme, “may prove a plausible strategy for decreasing disease susceptibility” as well as “become a useful and safe addition to the treatment of COVID-19 as an adjunct therapy.”

Cannabis could even be used to “develop easy-to-use preventative treatments in the form of mouthwash and throat gargle products,” the study suggested, with a “potential to decrease viral entry” through the mouth.

“The key thing is not that any cannabis you would pick up at the store will do the trick,” Olga told CTV, with the study suggesting just a handful of more than 800 varieties of sativa seemed to help.

All were high in anti-inflammatory CBD — but low in THC, the part that produces the cannabis high.

The study, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, was carried out in partnership with Pathway Rx, a cannabis therapy research company, and Swysh Inc., a cannabinoid-based research company.

The researchers are seeking funding to continue their efforts to support scientific initiatives to address COVID-19.

“While our most effective extracts require further large-scale validation, our study is crucial for the future analysis of the effects of medical cannabis on COVID-19,” the research said.

“Given the current dire and rapidly evolving epidemiological situation, every possible therapeutic opportunity and avenue must be considered.”

From the article:

“We were totally stunned at first, and then we were really happy.”

That was probably followed shortly thereafter with hungry and then a little sleepy.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mass graves in Brazil

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/05/21/brazil-sao-paulo-icu-covid-19-walsh-pkg-ebof-vpx.cnn

Things are escalating and they are breaking their own records daily from what it sounds like.

Damn. I can't imagine how many suicides they have.

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Welp.

Just rub a ‘lil CBD on that

A team of Canadian scientists believes it has found strong strains of cannabis that could help prevent or treat coronavirus infections, according to interviews and a study.

The results, printed in online journal Preprints, indicated hemp extracts high in CBD may help block proteins that provide a “gateway” for COVID-19 to enter host cells.

Kovalchuk’s husband, Igor, suggested cannabis could reduce the virus’ entry points by up to 70 percent. “Therefore, you have more chance to fight it,” he told CTV.

“Our work could have a huge influence — there aren’t many drugs that have the potential of reducing infection by 70 to 80 percent,” he told the Calgary Herald.

While they stressed that more research was needed, the study gave hope that the cannabis, if proven to modulate the enzyme, “may prove a plausible strategy for decreasing disease susceptibility” as well as “become a useful and safe addition to the treatment of COVID-19 as an adjunct therapy.”

Cannabis could even be used to “develop easy-to-use preventative treatments in the form of mouthwash and throat gargle products,” the study suggested, with a “potential to decrease viral entry” through the mouth.

“The key thing is not that any cannabis you would pick up at the store will do the trick,” Olga told CTV, with the study suggesting just a handful of more than 800 varieties of sativa seemed to help.

All were high in anti-inflammatory CBD — but low in THC, the part that produces the cannabis high.

The study, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, was carried out in partnership with Pathway Rx, a cannabis therapy research company, and Swysh Inc., a cannabinoid-based research company.

“While our most effective extracts require further large-scale validation, our study is crucial for the future analysis of the effects of medical cannabis on COVID-19,” the research said.

“Given the current dire and rapidly evolving epidemiological situation, every possible therapeutic opportunity and avenue must be considered.”

Ugh, I scanned through the actual published paper to see how much CBD they were dosing and failed. Fucking medical papers.

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

JFC

We probably shouldn't be back. At least we are back and partying. Life is back at what it is bro," one patron said. 

• Like 1

For your livestock update. Cattle kept running above 100K, with the Saturday run looking decent, boxed beef is below $400 now, and cattle on feed showed lower numbers again with the slow placement which eventually will give the cattle feeder leverage. Hogs stayed just below 400K but was only a few off the year ago run, and with Saturday numbers probably showing the best we have in 6 weeks there. Fresh pork values are on a glide path lower as well. 

• Like 4

Guest Lobo
46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

JFC

We probably shouldn't be back. At least we are back and partying. Life is back at what it is bro," one patron said. 

That man is so brave.  It's the kind of man I want my daughters to settle for one day.  

Politics and even personal responsibility aside, you are out of your fucking mind to drive home from a bar in the next few weeks, even if you've only had 2-3 drinks.  Police Departments having raging erections right now to give out DUI's because they haven't given out a single one for the last 10 weeks and they need to keep feeding the machine.  I could go on and on about you're a fucking arrogant asshole to be at bars right now, but if you even think of driving home from one right now...you deserve whatever happens.  They're just parked outside bar districts right now like they would be after New Year's or the Super Bowl, but it's ever night because they need the resources and you're an easy mark.  Good luck, as irony would have it---you're probably getting the virus in the jail.  Sorry you won't have your mask with you because they're for pussies, right?  

Edited by Lobo

Jackass door to door salesman just came by my house. No mask, nothing.  Just standing in my doorway as the kids opened the door to go out front and play. Kids had to come get me from the office. Told him to get the fuck off my property, put on a mask if he was going to go talk to everyone of my neighbors, and stop being a dip shit.

Look I really don't give a fuck if you need to make some sales and your model is pimping pest control door to door, but step the fuck well back and wear a mask if your coming on to my property you dip shit. 

• Like 9

Update 5/22/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths

3/27: 1 death

5/18: 79 deaths

5/19: 79 deaths

5/20: 81 deaths

5/21: 82 deaths

5/22: 83 deaths (total)

96 (+7) Hospitalized

39 (+1) ICU

24 (+2) Ventilator

Last 5 days: +4 deaths (-1)

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 5/22/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

96 (+7) Hospitalized

39 (+1) ICU

24 (+2) Ventilator

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

So, there’s currently only 96 people hospitalized in Travis county for covid? It would seem like we are not anywhere close to overwhelming the hospital system.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Jackass door to door salesman just came by my house. No mask, nothing.  Just standing in my doorway as the kids opened the door to go out front and play. Kids had to come get me from the office. Told him to get the fuck off my property, put on a mask if he was going to go talk to everyone of my neighbors, and stop being a dip shit.

Look I really don't give a fuck if you need to make some sales and your model is pimping pest control door to door, but step the fuck well back and wear a mask if your coming on to my property you dip shit. 

Do you have a no unmasked solicitors sign visible? 

24 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So, there’s currently only 96 people hospitalized in Travis county for covid? It would seem like we are not anywhere close to overwhelming the hospital system.

17 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

correct

Those numbers actually include hospitals from parts of Hays, Caldwell, Bastrop, and Williamson counties (MSA- Metropolitan Statistical Area) also. So even less for Travis County.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Do you have a no unmasked solicitors sign visible? 

No. But the next rando salesman who comes to my door without a mask on may find himself staring down the barrel of one of my 5.56 caliber American-made freedom delivery devices. No sign needed, eventually the word will get around. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 5/22/20

96 (+7) Hospitalized

39 (+1) ICU

24 (+2) Ventilator

Can you start tracking the hospitalizations over time like you are deaths? It's probably a better indicator. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the way you're presenting it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Might be time to plot some strategery with the sprinkler system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, B00M said:

Can you start tracking the hospitalizations over time like you are deaths? It's probably a better indicator. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the way you're presenting it. 

5/19: 92 - Hospitalized, 35 - ICU, 21 - Ventilator

5/20: 90 Hospitalized; 39 ICU; 25 Ventilator

5/21: 89 Hospitalized; 38 ICU; 22 Ventilator
5/22: 96 (+7) Hospitalized; 39 (+1) ICU; 24 (+2) Ventilator

Last 4 Days HP: +4; ICU: +4; Vent: +3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

I think it's 96 for the whole MSA: travis, williamson, hays, bastrop, and caldwell counties.  That's about 2.5 million people.  

But this site says it's only 30 in the hospital, so I haz confuse.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away