CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

So, I'm here in Austin at a couple of hospitals in different roles, and respectfully, go fuck yourself. "PPE stores looking ok??" Again, come work some shifts with me in our ICUs that _are not close to peaking but are still growing in COVID patient numbers_. Reuse that single-use N95 for the whole shift and multiple patients. Reuse a shitty yellow paper gown that is designed to be ripped safely off the body, but instead we have to gently shimmy out of it so we can put in on again. Reuse a plastic face shield that becomes so streaked with bleach and chg that you can barely see what you're doing. And then remember that this stuff isn't even really enough to actually protect you from exposure.

And no, neither bedside nurses nor advanced practice nurses are being offered any more money for doing this.

I regret that I can only rep it once 

Thank you for the smackdown. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Old man yells at clouds 

Every goddamn day 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

All schools in Texas closed the rest of the year, public and private. 

There it is. No sports until when? Are 2 a days still on? 

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

All I can go off are the conditions at facilities where I work. 

And more BS

If you have plenty of ppe and you are reusing the same anything( for how long btw?) then you are a shitty person and you need to go check out the safety book and get more training. 

I was on FB earlier today and reading the comments from Erath County news page. All sorts of bitching about wearing masks. There's a lot of confusion about who that's to benefit. It's not your ass coming in from the wild, it's the essential services employee that is there to help you. You don't want to wear a mask? Get out. No mask, no entry. Fuck off and have a nice day!

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

All I can go off are the conditions at facilities where I work. We have plenty of ppe, beds, vents currently. I just double checked with a couple CMOs. 

Like everything with this process it’s going to have to be localized. If the ppe situation @traumababe’s hospital is poor, then they shouldn’t do too many extra cases. 

Are you wearing the same PPE throughout the day and is that your standard procedure? 

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The worst part about this, other than the loss of life and catastrophic devastation, is this was easily predictable and avoidable by anyone capable of critical thinking. 

So simple and true.

Every action should flow from that simplicity. Apply transparency and accountability to what you describe and conclusions are inevitable to anyone with the slightest ability in detached perspective.

We live in a roil of idiocy, greed, and hate which blinds a huge portion of the electorate to something so simple. So obvious. 

You're correct. It is the worst part. It's also the most disheartening when considering the future of the republic, such as it is.

Just now, RomaVicta said:

So simple and true.

Every action should flow from that simplicity. Apply transparency and accountability to what you describe and conclusions are inevitable to anyone with the slightest ability in detached perspective.

We live in a roil of idiocy, greed, and hate which blinds a huge portion of the electorate to something so simple. So obvious. 

You're correct. It is the worst part. It's also the most disheartening when considering the future of the republic, such as it is.

In the right wing corona virus politics thread on DT, no one could have seen this coming.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

From Abbott's press release, the following is the most important part:

The bolded is the foundation for everything else.  Testing, tracing, isolating.  When we can do those, then we can do everything else (more graduated opening up of activities).

Everything else in his Orders and plan are subordinate to the bolded text.

CSB time: John Hellerstedt was my primary care doctor as a kid. Good guy. 

33 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Hell yes, every governor in this country needs to stop walking on egg shells and keep smacking that fat sack of shit with facts.  Quit letting his everyday lies go unchecked.

If you can't appease him, drive him over the brink.

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Here’s the great thing. Some parts will stay closed, some will open to varying degrees. We will all get to see what way is best 

Not unless we start locking down state and municipal borders.  Coronavirus moves quick.

Edited by FondrenRoad

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

From Abbott's press release, the following is the most important part:

The bolded is the foundation for everything else.  Testing, tracing, isolating.  When we can do those, then we can do everything else (more graduated opening up of activities).

Everything else in his Orders and plan are subordinate to the bolded text.

Well, that's not encouraging in a state at has conducted fewer tests per capita than any other state in the Union.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That’ll go well. 

About as well as any of the rest of this shitshow is going.  My point is that you can't see if shelter in place works better than free roaming cattle because the cattle always wander into the quarantine zone.  Much like the Minnesota protestors left their small towns to go to St Paul and catch or spread the virus.  So they go back to their towns of Frozen Hellscape and Backdoor, MN, and infect half the town, and they also get a couple of St Paul PD officers infected who spread it to their families.  Neither the shelter in place nor the "do whatever you want" plan are effective.  Only way to get any type of control of the study is to fence those cattle out of shelter in place areas.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

All I can go off are the conditions at facilities where I work. We have plenty of ppe, beds, vents currently. I just double checked with a couple CMOs. 

Like everything with this process it’s going to have to be localized. If the ppe situation @traumababe’s hospital is poor, then they shouldn’t do too many extra cases. 

You can’t even tag people correctly. You can’t add ‘s.  Moron. 

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's not a protest, it's a Trump rally.

which means we can only assume that there's some overlap with the people who are protesting in different places on different days.  bold strategy when you're trying to prevent spread of a deadly virus.

28 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Which seems weird if the stockpiles of PPE are fine. 

11 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

So what you are saying is that you don’t have adequate PPE...  thanks for clarifying.

Adequate for this situation. Such conserving measures have been in place before.

Studies have provided guidance for safe extended use and reuse of N95 masks if necessary, for example. 

Again, not ideal, but adequate for the current climate. Jesus. 

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

which means we can only assume that there's some overlap with the people who are protesting in different places on different days.  bold strategy when you're trying to prevent spread of a deadly virus.

Are you referring to those patriots who are doing everything they can to promote herd immunity?

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Adequate for this situation. Such conserving measures have been in place before.

Studies have provided guidance for safe extended use and reuse of N95 masks if necessary, for example. 

Again, not ideal, but adequate for the current climate. Jesus. 

So, you are currently re-using a PPE during a pandemic (which is a bit like reusing a condom with multiple partners), a practice which is against the standard because it increases the rate of infection, and you think that means we should increase activities which will further strain the supply of PPE and increase the number of COVID patients?  Did I get that all correct? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This isn't a fucking game show.  How are you a doctor?  

The country will get to test and see which way is best to transition. State by state. Anyone that says they’re 100% sure on best way forward is not being honest. 

I’ve repeatedly said, if data shows otherwise we’ll need to reverse course. Initially I was a mega alarmist about coronavirus, but my view has changed somewhat. My thinking is actually more flexible than the absolutists on this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

So, you are currently re-using a PPE during a pandemic (which is a bit like reusing a condom with multiple partners), a practice which is against the standard because it increases the rate of infection, and you think that means we should increase activities which will further strain the supply of PPE and increase the number of COVID patients?  Did I get that all correct? 

CDC guidelines state in some situations you can use N95s for extended use, up to 8 hours, and reuse, up to 5 reuses. You place an extra mask over the N95 to minimize surface contamination. 

The hospitals that follow these guidelines say they have enough. I’m not sure what else you want. 

Pork values climbed again today, so we've got the cutout back to $60, recent high was $80 so we're not seeing extraordinary numbers at this point there. Cattle values were up 3 bucks, and about 15% on the week, but we're still about 15% off the recent high. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

CDC guidelines state in some situations you can use N95s for extended use, up to 8 hours, and reuse, up to 5 reuses. You place an extra mask over the N95 to minimize surface contamination. 

The hospitals that follow these guidelines say they have enough. I’m not sure what else you want. 

Explain the situations in which you can reuse N95s to treat contagious patients.  My guess is when there is no other choice.