CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Because it's just managing PR for him. He still doesn't realize what needs to be done. All he sees or thinks about is how he's presented in the news. 

It will never be different. He quite literally cannot understand that something exists if it isn't on his tv screen or in front of his face.

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It will never be different. He quite literally cannot understand that something exists if it isn't on his tv screen or in front of his face.

Born with a silver spoon in his mouth. People kissing his ass since the day he was born. Participation medal as President.

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

She must have hit pretty close to the bone to get that kind of reaction.  By the way he is wrong here.  These are two different things.  It's one thing to criticize Trump it's another to parrot Chinese government propaganda which certain news organizations and reporters are certainly guilty of doing.  To use a WWII analogy, it would be one thing to criticize U.S. decisions in WWII.  It would be another to promote and legitimize everything Tokyo Rose broadcasted.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Still, two major elements of the law remain. Insider trading is illegal, even for members of Congress and the executive branch. And for those who are covered by the now-narrower law, disclosures of large stock trades are required within 45 days. It will just be harder to get to them.

I'm not so naive as to think he'll be prosecuted, but I'll be shocked if this is within the bounds of the law.

I swear at least half of the Republicans in Congress don't even ideologically agree with the shit they push.  They saw a grift opportunity and ran with it.  As has been established ad infinitum, the GOP base is dumb as shit and support the team no matter what, so if you have any sales ability at all, you can ride that to a pretty comfy life.

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's getting very hard to think mob violence isn't justified.

Lot's of people should be getting bullets in their head.  Start at the top and work your way down to the guy with a storage unit full of hand sanitizer. 

I just liked the comparison between regular people living their lives and stock buybacks by self-interested executives intended to juice share prices without having to, you know, make the company more profitable.  How insane does one have to be tweet something like that out?  Further, irrespective of the bailout issue, the practice should be illegal as it's nothing more than a license to loot these businesses.  Why reinvest profits in productive capabilities when you can simply short-circuit the market through buybacks?  

• Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's getting very hard to think mob violence isn't justified.

We've just got to figure out which side is the mob.

I speculated about insider trading related to this a few pages back responding to the NPR tape of him warning a small group of people at a fund raiser.

Crooks. Big rough iron cages. Decks of rusty cargo ships sailing to the North Sea. No clothes. Slide the cages into the icy water and never speak their names again.

• Like 3

Even without knowledge of selling off his stock, I was expecting a resignation from Burr. He chose not to share information where literal lives were at stake. I can't fathom how these pigs can live with their own smell. 

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, insider trading by a Senator on advance knowledge of a pandemic without alerting the public is another string him up offense.

I'll use the rope that I was planning to use on the ventilator valve company that turned out not to have threatened to sue.

Should be able to prosecute him under the amended Stock Act and Securities Exchange Act.  Its a pretty straightforward violation even.  He used nonpublic information for personal gain.  I'm sure Barr's DOJ is getting right on that.

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Even without knowledge of selling off his stock, I was expecting a resignation from Burr. He chose not to share information where literal lives were at stake. I can't fathom how these pigs can live with their own smell. 

He should be immediately arrested.

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, insider trading by a Senator on advance knowledge of a pandemic without alerting the public is another string him up offense.

I'll use the rope that I was planning to use on the ventilator valve company that turned out not to have threatened to sue.

From a favorite movie, Hud:

Homer Bannon: That's your solution for getting out of a tight fix? To pass bad beef on to my neighbors who wouldn't know what they was getting? Or risk starting an epidemic in the entire country?
Hud Bannon: This country is run on epidemics; where you been? Price-fixing, crooked TV shows, inflated expense accounts...How many honest men you know? Why, if you separate the saints from the sinners, you're lucky to wind up with Abraham Lincoln. Now I want out of this spread what I put into it, so let's dip our bread into that gravy while it's still hot!
Homer Bannon: You're an unprincipled man, Hud.
Hud Bannon: Don't let that worry you none. You got enough for both of us.

still-picture-from-the-movie-Hud-998x641
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Burr is never prosecuted.  Resign, maybe, but no way is he getting prosecuted.  

I disagree. But If corrupt AG Barr won’t do shit because he is a corrupt shitstain, then the next AG under the Biden administration will arrest him on the first day. This needs to be the lead story on every news site. 

Burr is golden - with his team of attorneys standing up behind him. After all, we all could read the news reports saying this would be horrible. He was merely acting as a prudent investor based on common knowledge regardless of what he said in public to quell fear of massive unrest. He will be lionized as a Patriot by non-profits - complete with awards as his conduct is whitewashed. 

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Burr is golden - with his team of attorneys standing up behind him. After all, we all could read the news reports saying this would be horrible. He was merely acting as a prudent investor based on common knowledge regardless of what he said in public to quell fear of massive unrest. He will be lionized as a Patriot by non-profits - complete with awards as his conduct is whitewashed. 

Tell that to a jury and they will recommend you be given the death penalty too. 

The only clear justification for Burr's stock sales being legal would be if they were part of a trading plan he had filed and stuck with for months, if not years.  It's still dicey from a legal perspective.  One pretty much needs to eliminate all personal discretion and simply provide an algorithm for their broker to execute.

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Tell that to a jury and they will recommend you be given the death penalty too. 

Won't get to a jury. It will be dropped in the investigation stage. (Assuming there is an investigation). He will argue this was public knowledge he traded on. 

Edited by washparkhorn

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The only clear justification for Burr's stock sales being legal would be if they were part of a trading plan he had filed and stuck with for months, if not years.  It's still dicey from a legal perspective.  One pretty much needs to eliminate all personal discretion and simply provide an algorithm for their broker to execute.

Members of Congress are required to disclose securities transactions.  Burr's transactions for over a year are typical transactions of buying and selling.

On February 13, Burr made his largest selling day.  They were only sales.  He dumped pretty much everything. 

On February 7, Burr co-authored an op-ed that stated that the "United States is better prepared than ever before to face emerging public health threats, including the coronavirus.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk