CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I sincerely hope that all of you are good at grudge holding as well, because these people must be held to account.  We can not get back to normal because we have people who would rather play politics and/or profiteer than do the right thing for their constituents. 

There are about 50 other reasons I would vote against Republicans this year, including this. 

But at the beginning of this pandemic, we were all about not overrunning the hospitals.  At least that is what I was praying for.  The country has been opening up, willy nilly, but if the hospitals aren't overrun, is it possible that this was the most we could ask for?

In other words, if we don't have an overrun of the medical system, this is getting back to normal. 

California is spiking.  And I'm going to get on an aisle or window seat on SWA in less than two weeks to go out there.  I'll wear my mask and try not to touch my face.  I'll spend money happily and maybe not drink as much as I usually do, because I usually come down with the crud when I do too much of that.

I don't like the way this Administration does things, but the jury is still out on how much damage they did, or whether it is written in stone that anyone else would have done a whole fuckload better. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's the hospitalization numbers that are scary too . . . 

4/18/20 - 631

5/18/20 - 792

6/18/20 - 1,832

Started to get exponential around 5/24.  Lockdown lifted 5/14.  Cities are now just coming around to mandating masks (some cities are still mask-curious).  Governor has been a no-show (although he instituted a state-wide curfew hours after idiots broke in and vandalized the Scottsdale Galleria a couple of weeks ago).

18 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I don't like the way this Administration does things, but the jury is still out on how much damage they did, or whether it is written in stone that anyone else would have done a whole fuckload better. 

Except we have lots of data points, including all of Europe except maybe Sweden, showing that plenty of people did a fuckload better.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Except we have lots of data points, including all of Europe except maybe Sweden, showing that plenty of people did a fuckload better.

I don't know, maybe something like an ounce of fucking leadership could have been the least they could have done.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Would you rather have been in Italy?   Mexico?  UK?  Brazil?  Indonesia?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

We have a lot of data points, what, 1/10 into the course of the pandemic?

2 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I don't know, maybe something like an ounce of fucking leadership could have been the least they could have done.

Like I said, no issue there.  I just don't know how that translates into how we "aren't coming back to normal by now", or a firm conclusion as to how the goat rodeo caused a specific number of deaths/delay in coming back to normal, etc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

There are about 50 other reasons I would vote against Republicans this year, including this. 

But at the beginning of this pandemic, we were all about not overrunning the hospitals.  At least that is what I was praying for.  The country has been opening up, willy nilly, but if the hospitals aren't overrun, is it possible that this was the most we could ask for?

In other words, if we don't have an overrun of the medical system, this is getting back to normal. 

California is spiking.  And I'm going to get on an aisle or window seat on SWA in less than two weeks to go out there.  I'll wear my mask and try not to touch my face.  I'll spend money happily and maybe not drink as much as I usually do, because I usually come down with the crud when I do too much of that.

No there were 2 things we were supposed to do during the shutdown.  1) avoid hospital overruns, 2) come up with a god damned plan to open safely.  We were successful in #1 and chose to tell number 2 to fuck off.  So opening back up is going to cause us to miss #1 after all.  You will see that start to happen all over in the course of the next month or two.  We are going to have hospital overruns and our leadership is going to choose to do nothing lest they offend Trump.  Those are despicable actions by despicable people.  Do not forget that.  

• Like 8

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

No there were 2 things we were supposed to do during the shutdown.  1) avoid hospital overruns, 2) come up with a god damned plan to open safely.  We were successful in #1 and chose to tell number 2 to fuck off

What do you mean, exactly what you mean by opening up safely:

In terms of levels of infection/hospitalizations/deaths?  Or other indicia of a safe opening?

Has New York City "opened up safely"?  (Or is it "opening up safely"?)

11 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Would you rather have been in Italy?   Mexico?  UK?  Brazil?  Indonesia?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

We have a lot of data points, what, 1/10 into the course of the pandemic?

Yes to Italy because they got their shit under control with shutdowns and then, shock of all shocks, maintained control because they came up with a plan to start reopening safely.  So you are god damned right I'd rather be in Italy. Brazil appears to have decided to tell #1 to fuck off as well, and the UK initially told #1 to fuck off, then came to their senses and now seems to be in much better shape.  So right now today, yeah we'd be better off in the UK or Italy than we are in the US because they did not tell #2 to fuck off.  I don't know anything about how Indonesia approached it, so I won't comment, but I'd say that its neighbor Malaysia has come through this pretty fucking good as well.  

We had to actively choose to fuck this up, and that's what our leaders chose, because there was more votes and money in choosing the fuck up.  That's some bullshit. You know it's some bullshit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

We are going to have hospital overruns and our leadership is going to choose to do nothing lest they offend Trump. 

I don't believe that.  You have a new set of hospital overruns Trump is toast.

No disagreement that Trump rolled the dice -- because if we don't get the hospital overruns, he's going to benefit. 

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

What do you mean, exactly what you mean by opening up safely:

In terms of levels of infection/hospitalizations/deaths?  Or other indicia of a safe opening?

Has New York City "opened up safely"?  (Or is it "opening up safely"?)

I mean you put in policies that will keep people safe, such as requiring masks in public areas.  I also mean you test like mad and you enforce quarantine an ALL PEOPLE who test positive.  I also mean that you do contact tracing on those people that do test positive so you can get all their contacts tested and quarantined as necessary as well.  I mean you restrict travel in/out of areas that are not actively taking positive safety measures to keep their transmission rates under control. I'm sure there are more things I could think of, given some time but those are off the top of my head.  We are doing exactly 0 of those things in the US.  Our governor is telling us that the government has no authority to make you wear a mask, so they are forcing local businesses to be the enforcers of any regulations about mask wearing.  I do find it funny that our state government does claim the authority to make a woman wear a shirt, so I expect that this could be used to nullify laws against public titty's for those so inclined.  

I have no idea if New York City has opened back up or whether it is doing it safely, my rant was about where I am, Texas.  I would definitely expect that New York state officials are giving the cities in New York more leeway to make decisions for themselves based on the situation on the ground than our state leadership is providing in Texas though.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Hide and watch.

I'm not going to get into a we will see argument because all of us will see.  I just know that in Dallas, I spoke with doctors before things got bad, and the concerns was overruns and ventilators.   And people were ready for really grim shit in terms of overrun hospitals.

And none of it happened. 

Texas is moronically red, but the hospitals are in the larger towns.  Overruns destroys the Trump narrative (at least the Trumper's who can speak in complete sentences.) Dallas isn't going to wait for Abbott or the apologists to do anything if the shit hits the fan here.

you should go and drive your car some just to work oil through the engine and keep the ethanol in your gas from gelling
Agreed, even if it's a picnic lunch in a park you have to drive to. Try not to let the number of cars on the road bother you.

Asking again . . . where can I find the time history of hospitalizations nationwide?  This seems to be the Great Google Conundrum.  Oh, you want details for Arizona?  Sure!  Rhode Island?  No problem?  The WHOLE FUCKING COUNTRY?  Can't be done.

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If it’s red all the way on the right that’s means the disease is spreading faster than ever now and accelerating. 

i was going to post a long winded explanation, but that's basically it

44 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If it’s red all the way on the right that’s means the disease is spreading faster than ever now and accelerating. 

Within each state's specific growth rate range.  At least that is how I interpret the normalization.  

ETA: If that is indeed the normalization procedure, it amplifies the amount of orange and red in states with a lower peak relative to the baseline trend, and compressed the color range in states where you have a very large peak over a baseline, or a significant drop after the peak. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

Maybe this isn't a terrible idea.  Start showing people getting put on the ventilator and coding on a loop on the news.  Maybe the hold outs start wearing their masks.

https://news.yahoo.com/outrage-bolivian-tv-broadcasts-covid-19-death-004639867.html

La Paz (AFP) - A TV channel sparked controversy in Bolivia on Thursday after it broadcast live the final minutes of a COVID-19 patient's life while doctors tried desperately to save him.

The "No Lies" program said it took the decision to show a COVID-19 patient's death in a hospital in the eastern city of Santa Cruz to jolt into action authorities who had neglected the health services.

• Like 5

Just now, trauma babe said:

Tbh we should do this for general education purposes, not just because of COVID. The vast majority of people have no idea what being a "full code" is, and maybe if they saw us shoving a breathing tube down your 92yo memaw's throat while we break her ribs from chest compressions, and her arm becomes necrotic from the intense blood pressure medications we have to push through unsafe veins, they would have second thoughts about wanting "everything" done. There are far worse experiences than death, and being coded (and surviving) when you've already had a very long and fruitful life, is one of them. I promise you wouldn't want it done for yourself, so don't put your family through it.

My sister's best friend is a medical doctor who has developed a specialty in "death and dying".  When my father was stricken with glioblastoma multiforme, she was invaluable in laying out the steps he would go through.  She made the prospect of accepting his imminent death possible.  She was also right on the money in terms of what would happen.

I think everyone would benefit from learning about the process, at least to the same degree we learn about the process of impregnation through birth.  Our fear of death drives a huge number of really bad decisions.  I'm not looking forward to it, either, but her calm and reasoned manner made it much easier for me to deal with his passing, and I applied those lessons to my Mom when she ultimately passed.  It's almost silly to say "we all face it", but yeah, we all face it.  It would be much better if we faced it without so much trepidation.  It wouldn't even have to be pure science that rejects faith & the afterlife.  The information could be delivered in a faith-based manner.

• Like 7

On 6/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, kevwun said:

There are a lot of County Judges and Mayors in this state who are taking their cues from Abbott.  They aren't going to make businesses require masks.  Abbott is going to needlessly kill a lot of Texans because of his political ambition.

Very true and it just highlights the failure of leadership from Abbott. He was also silent when Trump went after NAFTA despite it being a huge money maker for Texas. Abbott is a cheap empty suit.

Abbott has been as bad as Trump throughout the entire pandemic. I love the fact that Jude Nelson Wolff punked Abbott and basically set the standard for the rest of the state. Plus Wolff regularly takes shots at Ken Paxton every chance he gets. Nelson Wolff is good people and hopefully one day he can finally bring MLB to the city.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

MD has been super aggressive with getting tests to all nursing homes and factories too. Not all have been great, but overall the response has been impressive. Total current hospitalizations only at 648 and has been declining steadily despite reopening. Fingers crossed the downward trend continues