CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

The study focused primarily on two groups of 37 people who had been infected by SARS-CoV-2, as determined by repeated tests for viral RNA. One group never displayed clinical signs and symptoms of Covid-19 (asymptomatic). The symptomatic group all displayed mild symptoms of Covid-19 as determined by examinations by several physicians. The groups were matched for age and sex.

The first unexpected finding is that CAT-scans of the lung showed that two-thirds of those with no clinical signs of Covid-19 had what are called ground-glass opacity abnormalities typical of Covid-19 in at least one lung, and one-third showed ground-glass opacities in both lungs. In simple terms, SARS-CoV-2 is damaging the lungs of the majority who seem symptom-free. The long term health effects of such injuries may be apparent in later life.

Yeah, this is why I'm not doing shit until a vaccine is available. I can wait a year. 

WTF is it about this virus that seems to make it so much worse than others in the general family?

I've had a bunch of "common colds" in my life, and seemingly some would likely have been coronaviruses.  I don't think I've suffered any long-term health effects from those illnesses.

WTF is it about this virus that seems to make it so much worse than others in the general family?
I've had a bunch of "common colds" in my life, and seemingly some would likely have been coronaviruses.  I don't think I've suffered any long-term health effects from those illnesses.
It's definitely lighter than SARS or MERS, which are also in the same family. It's basically the midpoint between those and the cold viruses.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know, but I don't think anyone else does either. So I'd rather wait and see before storming the beach. 

8 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You still planning that Cali trip?  I'm still scheduled.  I'm feeling like a buck private in Pickett's Div. at Gettysburg. (Not that there was anything wrong with being a Johnny Reb.)

C-ckDMQYdmRs1qtLJFLwFcx23GCf5p3eGRUrTX5F

Well, this is the audible that we're calling as an alternative.  The restrictions on California (and particularly the hotel and location we'd be going to) are so strict that we really wouldn't get much out of it.  So, we're strategizing on alternatives that require less air travel for most, and would put us at a place where we'd be able to spend meaningful time together outside.  So, we're looking at Padre, although one family unit is rebelling, and we're having a Zoom call tonight to hash it all out.  I'm REALLY looking forward to that.

23 hours ago, lemonlime said:

It also is not something you just get over quickly. Anecdotal, but my sister (30s) had Covid in March.  Seemingly mild case with no hospitalization. She is still suffering from bad vertigo and other symptoms.

22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

hope she gets better soon. it''s a hell of a thing. 

The people I saw taking no precautions as I drove from New England through NY, OH, IN, MO, OK and TX remain victims in point of view. I may despise many of them for their politics if they support Trump. Further, their belief in Trump likely leads them to the foolish disposition towards the disease.

Still, in this case they're citizens being horribly failed by government which has confused them about Covid. The TV news media have also failed to get out from behind their fake desks to make this story real beyond statistical reports and comparisons of the death count with other disasters. 

The degree of suffering that awaits so many Americans horrifies me. No common citizen deserves it just for being stupid or wrong. 

The leaders responsible for causing this confusion for their own gain are criminals against humanity. I'm repeating myself and others, but the salient points need to be continually spotlit or they will be lost in daily shifts in focus. Statues. Ramps. Walks of shame. 

There is murder here.

• Like 6

Well, this is the audible that we're calling as an alternative.  The restrictions on California (and particularly the hotel and location we'd be going to) are so strict that we really wouldn't get much out of it.  So, we're strategizing on alternatives that require less air travel for most, and would put us at a place where we'd be able to spend meaningful time together outside.  So, we're looking at Padre, although one family unit is rebelling, and we're having a Zoom call tonight to hash it all out.  I'm REALLY looking forward to that.
Y'all will be lucky of there isn't a quarantine order on flyers from TX. Avoiding flying is best if at all possible.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all will be lucky of there isn't a quarantine order on flyers from TX. Avoiding flying is best if at all possible.

That's a big part of the goal.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That's a big part of the goal.

California is more likely to crack down and re-close than Texas. Cases are spiking here. The easy coast wave is making landfall here and it is a bit different than the initial wave going eastward.  The governor has incredible approval ratings (+80% IIRC) so he will act as needed. 

Safe travels. I would take a beach house experience in a second during Covid. 

I was texting with an old friend from high school earlier (@Bateshorn you know who this is) who now lives in the DC area. He was saying I should come visit and I said "sure, post virus". He responded, "LOL, there is no virus. Don't let the media tell you what to think". 

It was... disheartening. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I was texting with an old friend from high school earlier (@Bateshorn you know who this is) who now lives in the DC area. He was saying I should come visit and I said "sure, post virus". He responded, "LOL, there is no virus. Don't let the media tell you what to think". 

It was... disheartening. 

I believe I recall talking to you on TOS, but didn’t you go to the same high school in Arlington I went to as well? 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

It was... disheartening. 

This is my cousin back in England. It's hard to talk to him for longer than a few minutes these days

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8865560001

“The coronavirus pandemic’s global toll is often talked about as a number – 2,000 dead. 15,000. 50,000. 100,000, and ever growing. Behind each one is a story, of a life well lived or cut short, of love, of perseverance, of heartache, of dancing, of laughter, of sacrifice, of bucket lists, of generosity.

Associated Press reporters around the world are working to capture these stories in a series called “Lives Lost.” Each is told individually, often with audio remembrances and photos from family members.

They are the stories of ordinary people who have sometimes done extraordinary things, or have had a profound impact on the loved ones they left behind or the communities they helped to build. When the pandemic is over, and life returns to normal, the biggest scar will be all the lives lost.

Here are just a few of them “

Not easy to read, but I am glad it is being done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

There goes my vacation.

Off to NYC next weekend.  Chicago still looking pretty good but we delayed opening things quite a bit longer.   I’ll have a beer for you out there.  

Sorry Texas, your leaders are clowns of the highest order.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Off to NYC next weekend.  Chicago still looking pretty good but we delayed opening things quite a bit longer.   I’ll have a beer for you out there.  

Sorry Texas, your leaders are clowns of the highest order.  

Agree. But check out Oklahoma's spike. Cuz Fuck OU right? :).  

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sweet fucking christ.  CNN just showed video of people in West Palm Beach, FL at a public hearing screaming at public officials and doctors about how mask mandates are killing people.  It's pure insanity.

The mandate was killing people?  Or the masks were?  What was their rationale, out of morbid curiosity?  

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just messing with you Doc. I was supposed to be heading to DC in 2 weeks. Client decided to postpone the trip waiting to see how fucked we become here in the Lonestart state. And he is from West Virginia. 

All good my man.  It’s frustrating because if everybody was just a little smarter, and held out a little longer, we would not be having these issues.  I had tuned out and was just shaking my head as I heard the whole hoax thing over and over.  And here we are.  I’ve said I hope I’m wrong a million times and that holds true.  Maybe this burns out and fall isn’t so bad.  The science doesn’t point to that though (there’s a chance it mutates to a weaker strain).  I have not looked lately but Sweden was looking like hot garbage too...

And in all the places we saw flare ups and terrible numbers - none are remotely close to herd immunity.  Yikes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

And my daughter is still going to camp in Arkansas on Sunday. I'm extremely fucking nervous about this. It seems crazy but at the same time seems no more dangerous than the genpop in Austin. 

It's really difficult.  I have 3 of 4 kids still living at home, all 16 or older.  I have to walk a very fine line between keeping them isolated and having any one of them just say "fuck it" and ignore my advice.  With all 3, we've basically allowed limited contact with their boyfriends/girlfriend.  It's not ideal but I'm not running a prison.

My wife's sister just got her test results back -- positive.  Her husband is also showing symptoms but hasn't been tested.  He assumes he's positive.  She visited us in a "socially distant" way about a month ago.  I'm not worried, but it has brought my kids back to earth a bit.  They face-timed with her (their Aunt) and saw how shitty she feels.  It's just a very ugly situation to manage.

Anyone my age dealt with the AIDS crisis.  This is a bit different.  The mortality rate is maybe 1% that with AIDS (at that time).  However, the spread is far wider, or will be.  It's not easy to reason with people who say "well, 98% of those infected will survive".  Yeah, that's probably true.  How about the people you infect?  How about your elderly family?  How about your own long term health degradation?

It's maddening.  <rant over>

• Like 7

It's really difficult.  I have 3 of 4 kids still living at home, all 16 or older.  I have to walk a very fine line between keeping them isolated and having any one of them just say "fuck it" and ignore my advice. 

I’m failing at this. It does indeed suck

I let my daughter go out with her boyfriend. This is a bit of a risk, but you are right, they need to have lives and the kid's parents are very careful. We talked about it and decided they can hang out at the two houses and walk around town. That is it. They lost their senior year and it does suck. 

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I let my daughter go out with her boyfriend. This is a bit of a risk, but you are right, they need to have lives and the kid's parents are very careful. We talked about it and decided they can hang out at the two houses and walk around town. That is it. They lost their senior year and it does suck. 

Any contact with others is an incremental risk.  We all know that.  The question is whether you manage it, or you throw caution to the wind.  We are going to get together in 2 weeks with some extended family.  All households have been conservative, have avoided non-essential gatherings, etc. (ours is the only one that didn't -- we marched in Austin, BUT, we then all got tested and are confirmed negative).  So, there's risk in us getting together, but we have all behaved in a low-risk way.  We are all mask-believers, and by and large anywhere we've gone (stores etc.) have been mask-heavy as well, and we aren't going out willy nilly.

And yes, on some level, there is a balancing of mental health involved.  In short, we're all going fucking bananas.  There's no easy calls in all this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's really difficult.  I have 3 of 4 kids still living at home, all 16 or older.  I have to walk a very fine line between keeping them isolated and having any one of them just say "fuck it" and ignore my advice.  With all 3, we've basically allowed limited contact with their boyfriends/girlfriend.  It's not ideal but I'm not running a prison.

My wife's sister just got her test results back -- positive.  Her husband is also showing symptoms but hasn't been tested.  He assumes he's positive.  She visited us in a "socially distant" way about a month ago.  I'm not worried, but it has brought my kids back to earth a bit.  They face-timed with her (their Aunt) and saw how shitty she feels.  It's just a very ugly situation to manage.

Anyone my age dealt with the AIDS crisis.  This is a bit different.  The mortality rate is maybe 1% that with AIDS (at that time).  However, the spread is far wider, or will be.  It's not easy to reason with people who say "well, 98% of those infected will survive".  Yeah, that's probably true.  How about the people you infect?  How about your elderly family?  How about your own long term health degradation?

Soooooo........ Outercourse is cool?

climbing watching GIF

[ducks]

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am so sorry to hear about your family. I can't express my sympathies in a post well enough. I'm not a prayer, but I do wish the best.

Seriously though. This has been such a big point that completely enrages me.

How have sooooo many Americans not learned from things like the AIDS crisis AND become so hopelessly selfish that they're willing to put other ppl at risk?

It's like American has had its empathy portion of the brain completely wither away to the point that we only can support 3 consecutive minutes of caring.

After those 3 minutes, we're done and could give a shit.

My wife is super intelligent but also impulsive as hell.  (She is a woman, after all.)

I feel shitty always asking her "you went WHERE?  to Lowe's?  Just for plants, outside?  Did you wear your damn mask?"  But then she'll surprise me by asking "do you think I should go to my sister's birthday party in the park on Friday?  We're going to wear masks and stay 8-10 feet apart, but I don't know."

(Different sister.  There are 5 of those damn women, plus a brother.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Any contact with others is an incremental risk.  We all know that.  The question is whether you manage it, or you throw caution to the wind.  We are going to get together in 2 weeks with some extended family.  All households have been conservative, have avoided non-essential gatherings, etc. (ours is the only one that didn't -- we marched in Austin, BUT, we then all got tested and are confirmed negative).  So, there's risk in us getting together, but we have all behaved in a low-risk way.  We are all mask-believers, and by and large anywhere we've gone (stores etc.) have been mask-heavy as well, and we aren't going out willy nilly.

And yes, on some level, there is a balancing of mental health involved.  In short, we're all going fucking bananas.  There's no easy calls in all this.

Yep, exactly. We are always masked. We do food delivery for the food bank, and other than that we do not go out. I felt like a hypocrite with my friend living with us and telling my daughter she could not see 1 friend. So spoke with his parents and we worked out some protocols. They do not go out, but they do hang out at the houses. Other than that we manage our contact with humans to the point of we walk our dogs late in the evening to avoid dumbasses out wandering/running and cannot comprehend staying away from people. 

29 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

And my daughter is still going to camp in Arkansas on Sunday. I'm extremely fucking nervous about this. It seems crazy but at the same time seems no more dangerous than the genpop in Austin. 

Basically one hot spot to another.

• Like 2

Just messing with you Doc. I was supposed to be heading to DC in 2 weeks. Client decided to postpone the trip waiting to see how fucked we become here in the Lonestart state. And he is from West Virginia. 
West Virginia thinks we're a shit hole. Let that sink in.
  • Like 1