CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And I think that misconception is driving a lot of these dumb behaviors we’re all bitching about.

I agree with you in part, but I think just as many people use this logic to justify their behaviors rather than basing their behavior on the logic. 

They want to do what they want to do, and have chosen a nominal understanding of immunity arguments as one of the rationales that supports it. 

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

We don't. My bet is this becomes endemic unless a vaccine that makes that happen is actually developed. We could just be looking at flu and covid season, get your flu and covid shots, hide your olds,
etc.

Season? It blew up it China in Dec-Jan and is spiking now here. If there’s a seasonality to this thing it’ll be one as long as hockey season. 

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Here’s my concern about “immunity” -

Common cold coronaviruses don’t offer lifetime immunity. Getting the common cold once doesn’t make one immune to common colds for the rest of their lives.

Same with the flu.

Some viruses do confer lifetime immunity as it were - chicken pox, measles etc.

Why are we sure that coronavirus falls into the “lifetime immunity” bucket and not the cold and flu bucket?

Common cold is caused by over 100 different viruses the vast majority being from the rhinovirus family. While the common cold coronaviruses don’t necessarily confer lasting immunity, odds are the colds one gets are not reinfection with a coronavirus but rather novel infection  

Having said that I believe the assumption that recovery from Covid-19 confers lasting immunity stems from the fact it is most closely related to the virus that causes SARS. Although I didn’t see any studies of SARS patients that looked at antibodies past 3 years so who knows. 

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Your anti-masks dipshits. HOLY FUCK!

The cause of almost every problem in this country is utter fucking stupidity. Have people always been this stupid or did it start with Fox News? 

People have always been stupid, Fox News just made it cool. Stupidity that should be illegal is very legal and very cool. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I'm not glorifying Reagan, he blew up the deficit and got us on track to more and more debt.  But he did scare the crap out of Iran, I remember that.

They were terrified of his cake shaped like a key, autographed Bible, and his exchange of arms for hostages. See Iran-Contra.

In the spring of 1983, the United States launched Operation Staunch, a wide-ranging diplomatic effort to persuade other nations all over the world not to sell arms or spare parts for weapons to Iran.[14]:213 At least part of the reason the Iran–Contra affair proved so humiliating for the United States when the story first broke in November 1986 that the US was selling arms to Iran was that American diplomats, as part of Operation Staunch had, from the spring of 1983 on, been lecturing other nations about how morally wrong it was to sell arms to the Islamic Republic of Iran and applying strong pressure to prevent these arms sales to Iran.[14]:213

Stories at the time suggest that the Iranians held off on releasing the hostages to humiliate Carter. Some believe that the Reagan campaign forged a secret deal, but that's not soundly substantiated.

You are right about Reagan making everyone feel happy again for whatever that's worth.

I don't mean to jump on you. I'm likely older than you, so I likely was reading more than you at the time. Hell, maybe I'm even right about what I recall. Wouldn't that be something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Is it really pronounced ‘steeeroids?’ I’ve always said ‘stairoids.’ 
Birx pronounces it in a way I’ve not heard.

Based on how she said Oregon, I wouldnt rely on the way she pronounces stuff.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The cause of almost every problem in this country is utter fucking stupidity. Have people always been this stupid or did it start with Fox News? 

Have you ever worked retail?  There are lots and lots and lots of stupid people.  I think most of us underestimate just how many and how stupid because most people here come from a relatively small population segment, middle to upper middle class college educated Texans. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LABEVO said:

Not to start or continue arguments from other threads, but this is one of the reasons I'm disappointed in the choices we have for the November presidential election.   Given the money and overt corruption in politics I'm sure I will continually be disappointed, but it just seems there was an opportunity this fall that has been missed.  

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Stupidity is only one part. The real problems started when stupid people were told that they are special snowflakes whose rambling voices deserve to be heard and whose stupid fucking opinions are just as valid as the measured, studied advice of experts. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 4