CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Expect this talking point on DT within the hour. They're currently trying to explain that the largest medical center in the world at 97 percent ICU capacity is NBD because COVID is only a portion of that and there's surge capacity. Because people can just stop having strokes and shit, and surge capacity won't result in any reduced quality of care or degradation of morale and protection for medical staff. I'm sure eveb they realize as they type that they should move on to something else that makes them sound less fucking stupid. They'll think this is it.

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

SIAP. This woman manages to hit all of the highlights in a minute and a half: wearing masks, Hillary, the deep state, pedophilia etc...

She seems sane.  Anybody doubt that if she ran for congress in a red district she would win?  Hell, she could run for senate in Alabama and if she somehow was on the ticket against a Democrat like Doug Jones that state would vote her in.  Freaking ignorance is something to behold.

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

No words.  People are fucking stupid.

https://www.ftbagency.com

And they have a PDF you can print out so you can have your very own card exempting you from ever wearing a mask.  They also have state by state PDF's so you can shove it in the face of a jackbooted government official, or the barista at Starbucks when you are asked to wear a mask:

I%20am%20exempt%20from%20any%20ordinance

Screen%20Shot%202020-06-16%20at%204_33_0

giphy.gif

I was a kid during the Carter administration, but I rememberer how the Iranian hostage crisis just took over the news during an election year and whatever Carter tried, it didn't work.  Most Americans were not affected day to day, but there were yellow ribbons everywhere supporting the hostages.  Ted Koppel had a show after the local news (which became Nightline) with "Day XXX" as the headline and news of the crisis, which after a while wasn't much news at all.  At first it was Day 20 and later Day 50 but by the time it was Day 300 it sucked.  There was also economic trouble, with high inflation and high interest rates.  Times were uncertain.

This feels to me like a worse version of those times.  Now we are all affected by the shutdown and maybe less than a month away from real sickness and maybe death.  A lot of us are out of work, or a paycheck or two away from real trouble.

Reagan beat Carter, scared the crap out of the Iranians and the hostage crisis was over.  It was a turning point for America; after a year of gloom we had a happy day.  The economy turned around by 1983. By 1987 we were all talking about "greed is good" and Wall Street.  I'm not glorifying Reagan, he blew up the deficit and got us on track to more and more debt.  But he did scare the crap out of Iran, I remember that.

But I think Trump is toast, using the 1980 election as a reference.  Carter tried and failed to solve his crisis and it took a change in leadership to do that.  Trump seems to not be seriously working on solving his crisis; it won't be solved by his administration.  America will want to turn the page.  Unfortunately Biden can't just scare the crap out of coronavirus.

• Like 1

Holy shit it's such a beating trying to talk about any of this without politics in DailyTexan...it's probably stupid to even try.  Politics is the main fucking reason the hot spots are where we are.  Elephant in the room doesn't even begin to describe it...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Holy shit it's such a beating trying to talk about any of this without politics in DailyTexan...it's probably stupid to even try.  Politics is the main fucking reason the hot spots are where we are.  Elephant in the room doesn't even begin to describe it...

yeah, it's frustrating that this became so politicized, but we can blame trump and abbott for that in texas. there's a strong correlation between supporters of trump and the "reopen without masks" crowd. 

it's doubly frustrating, because while i loathe trump, if he just took a leadership role, just a scintilla of leadership, and let fauci and birx's scarves run the fucking national dialog, then he might have saved his presidency. 

i mean, the uk fucked up, and so did nyc, but even boris and cuomo come out looking better than the fucking shitshow we have at the state and federal level of response. trump's supporters would be aggressively masking up in maga masks sold by the trump campaign if he had said to do so. 

i mean, i understand that he's a narcissistic moron, but even he had (has?) the opportunity to save the fucking day and look good and presidential while doing it, and i cannot believe that no one tried to appeal to his narcissism from this perspective. 

he chose another way, and now we all suffer more for it. 

goddammit.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I still peruse the posts there for any medical updates, but public health is one of the personal/public/private/government areas that has become one large tangle of barbed wire and you'd need some serious protection to untangle it on an internet forum such as this.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I still peruse the posts there for any medical updates, but public health is one of the personal/public/private/government areas that has become one large tangle of barbed wire and you'd need some serious protection to untangle it on an internet forum such as this.

I don't think I can pull it off.  I want to give good advice and info...but I just feel a lot better giving that advice if I can throw out a big fuck you to Abbott and Trump while doing so...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, it's frustrating that this became so politicized, but we can blame trump and abbott for that in texas. there's a strong correlation between supporters of trump and the "reopen without masks" crowd. 

it's doubly frustrating, because while i loathe trump, if he just took a leadership role, just a scintilla of leadership, and let fauci and birx's scarves run the fucking national dialog, then he might have saved his presidency. 

i mean, the uk fucked up, and so did nyc, but even boris and cuomo come out looking better than the fucking shitshow we have at the state and federal level of response. trump's supporters would be aggressively masking up in maga masks sold by the trump campaign if he had said to do so. 

i mean, i understand that he's a narcissistic moron, but even he had (has?) the opportunity to save the fucking day and look good and presidential while doing it, and i cannot believe that no one tried to appeal to his narcissism from this perspective. 

goddammit.

And I see no way he reverses course despite it being the right thing to do.  If he were to encourage masks now, he'd be the ultimate flip-flopper.  Would be a shame if some karmic alignment came into play here.

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

@Onboard 2.0 and others need a safe space so they aren't being constantly reminded that this is partly their fault.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

And I see no way he reverses course despite it being the right thing to do.  If he were to encourage masks now, he'd be the ultimate flip-flopper.  Would be a shame if some karmic alignment came into play here.

So we spent a good chunk of change on a summer house in the LA hills.  I go back and forth and all of us have been positive.  How bad is it there in LA?  The last couple trips we only hung out at the house and didn't feel guilty and it ended up a really damn good time in terms of talent turn out...should I feel like a guilty asshole for invading your fine city? 

31 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I was a kid during the Carter administration, but I rememberer how the Iranian hostage crisis just took over the news during an election year and whatever Carter tried, it didn't work.  Most Americans were not affected day to day, but there were yellow ribbons everywhere supporting the hostages.  Ted Koppel had a show after the local news (which became Nightline) with "Day XXX" as the headline and news of the crisis, which after a while wasn't much news at all.  At first it was Day 20 and later Day 50 but by the time it was Day 300 it sucked.  There was also economic trouble, with high inflation and high interest rates.  Times were uncertain.

This feels to me like a worse version of those times.  Now we are all affected by the shutdown and maybe less than a month away from real sickness and maybe death.  A lot of us are out of work, or a paycheck or two away from real trouble.

Reagan beat Carter, scared the crap out of the Iranians and the hostage crisis was over.  It was a turning point for America; after a year of gloom we had a happy day.  The economy turned around by 1983. By 1987 we were all talking about "greed is good" and Wall Street.  I'm not glorifying Reagan, he blew up the deficit and got us on track to more and more debt.  But he did scare the crap out of Iran, I remember that.

But I think Trump is toast, using the 1980 election as a reference.  Carter tried and failed to solve his crisis and it took a change in leadership to do that.  Trump seems to not be seriously working on solving his crisis; it won't be solved by his administration.  America will want to turn the page.  Unfortunately Biden can't just scare the crap out of coronavirus.

At least Carter was able to become one of our best ex-Presidents, I don't see that happening here. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So we spent a good chunk of change on a summer house in the LA hills.  I go back and forth and all of us have been positive.  How bad is it there in LA?  The last couple trips we only hung out at the house and didn't feel guilty and it ended up a really damn good time in terms of talent turn out...should I feel like a guilty asshole for invading your fine city? 

It's fine.  We're renting a house next week in Ventura County.  The good part is with the weather there are plenty of places with outdoor seating so that will help.  Orange County (aka Trumpville) is worse as they take mask wearing as gubment treading on them.  

Whereabouts roughly?

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's fine.  We're renting a house next week in Ventura County.  The good part is with the weather there are plenty of places with outdoor seating so that will help.  Orange County (aka Trumpville) is worse as they take mask wearing as gubment treading on them.  

Whereabouts roughly?

Doheny Estates.  Great views, easy to get places with decreased traffic these days.  No regrets.  Europe is out this summer and I don't think we are doing any guys trips to Vegas, actually taking the wife there, but will be much more relaxing than typical Vegas.  LA is always great.  

So like Palm Beach Florida is basically Pawnee Indiana, 2nd one is cute tho

"They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out the door," said Sylvia during the public comment session.

"All of you are practicing the Devil's law," said Cristina, who promised a citizen's arrest for those who are going against the "freedom of choice."

"Every single one of you that are obeying the devil's laws are going to be arrested," she said.

"You did not listen to we the people! I would die for that country. I would die for the Constitution. You know what? You disgrace me. You know why? You did not listen to we the people! You made your decision!" yelled Butch.

"There's not enough to make this a pandemic," Cindy said. "This is a planned-demic. This is totally political and you know it and I'm asking you to cease-and-desist from the political agendas that you're being 'propaganded' to stand with and try to hold us hostage as American citizens."

"You're removing our freedoms and stomping on our Constitutional rights by these Communist dictatorship orders or laws you want to mandate," another woman said.

And Whitney, an essential worker, told commissioners she doesn't wear a mask in the same way she doesn't wear underwear.

"Things gotta breathe," she said.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/throw-gods-wonderful-breathing-system-out-the-door

If you you just refer to it as Kung Flu and attribute surges to Antifa looters you can post all you want over there.
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

goddammit.

Or even the grift angle.

Hey Donnie, you know these cloth masks are really cheap to make. We can get them for about 50 cents and sell them for 20 plus 9.95 shipping and handling. If only 1/3 of your supporters bought one mask we'd clear a quarter billion. 

Plus we could have a red MAGA one, a dark blue POTUS 45, a Trump 2020 one, etc. 

Seriously Donnie a billion dollars isn't out of the question here.

2 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Or even the grift angle.

Hey Donnie, you know these cloth masks are really cheap to make. We can get them for about 50 cents and sell them for 20 plus 9.95 shipping and handling. If only 1/3 of your supporters bought one mask we'd clear a quarter billion. 

Plus we could have a red MAGA one, a dark blue POTUS 45, a Trump 2020 one, etc. 

Seriously Donnie a billion dollars isn't out of the question here.

Except, I'd throw out trillion.  He would believe it.  "You will be bigger than Bezos, that guy you don't even care about."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

So like Palm Beach Florida is basically Pawnee Indiana, 2nd one is cute tho

"They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out the door," said Sylvia during the public comment session.

"All of you are practicing the Devil's law," said Cristina, who promised a citizen's arrest for those who are going against the "freedom of choice."

"Every single one of you that are obeying the devil's laws are going to be arrested," she said.

"You did not listen to we the people! I would die for that country. I would die for the Constitution. You know what? You disgrace me. You know why? You did not listen to we the people! You made your decision!" yelled Butch.

"There's not enough to make this a pandemic," Cindy said. "This is a planned-demic. This is totally political and you know it and I'm asking you to cease-and-desist from the political agendas that you're being 'propaganded' to stand with and try to hold us hostage as American citizens."

"You're removing our freedoms and stomping on our Constitutional rights by these Communist dictatorship orders or laws you want to mandate," another woman said.

And Whitney, an essential worker, told commissioners she doesn't wear a mask in the same way she doesn't wear underwear.

"Things gotta breathe," she said.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/throw-gods-wonderful-breathing-system-out-the-door

Picture of Whitney ... best I could do

image.png.f54c50be5b3cfd0f1ae8acf8648be9b9.png

Maybe when she was younger... but also not a goblin.

Can't attest to her assertion that's she's not wearing underwear.

Stuff isn't moving as much as it would if she was braless.

I give her comment a 'Mostly false' on DNAguy's Titafact meter

meter-barely-true.jpg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Doheny Estates.  Great views, easy to get places with decreased traffic these days.  No regrets.  Europe is out this summer and I don't think we are doing any guys trips to Vegas, actually taking the wife there, but will be much more relaxing than typical Vegas.  LA is always great.  

Not sure when you were last in Hollywood (since you're staying close by) but it has undergone a remarkable transformation.  Still plenty seedy in parts.  But when I was growing up Hollywood adjacent, it was shady af.  Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yeah, I know.  Wanted to point out he is a vampire for the uninitiated to the greatness of that TV show.  Knowing he is a vampire makes the scene so much better.

Watching Colin soak in all the energy is the chef's kiss in that scene.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not sure when you were last in Hollywood (since you're staying close by) but it has undergone a remarkable transformation.  Still plenty seedy in parts.  But when I was growing up Hollywood adjacent, it was shady af.  Enjoy.

Oh yeah - we have already stayed out at the house a couple of times.  It's 2 miles from Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive.  I was more concerned looking like heathens dining out on patios.  Last trip couple weeks ago we stuck strictly to the house but I hear things are opening.  Patios here in Chicago have been amazing.  Closed the streets to add capacity and actually more fun than usual.  People being careful with masks until you're seated etc.  Just feels good to be out.  We were totally holed up here those couple months and didn't 'violate' stay at home much at all, if any.

What I don’t understand is why everyone rushed to re-open. The CDC issued guidelines (before they were rescinded). A second shutdown in parts of the country will be drastically more ruinous than a staged re-opening based on metrics. Oops, don’t worry Houston. Your ICU beds may be full, but at least the theme parks, movie theaters and malls are still open. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh yeah - we have already stayed out at the house a couple of times.  It's 2 miles from Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive.  I was more concerned looking like heathens dining out on patios.  Last trip couple weeks ago we stuck strictly to the house but I hear things are opening.  Patios here in Chicago have been amazing.  Closed the streets to add capacity and actually more fun than usual.  People being careful with masks until you're seated etc.  Just feels good to be out.  We were totally holed up here those couple months and didn't 'violate' stay at home much at all, if any.

doheny estates is very very close to me.  i did a ~5 mile hike yesterday and might've walked past your rental.

like you said, there are a lot of restaurants trying to open back up, either with capacity restrictions or new innovation (glass wall separating people!).  but the ones i would lean towards are roping off sidewalk and adding outside seating.  most of them are also doing temp checks before you can sit.  i saw a few spots in bh and weho doing that.

the weather has been perfect the past few weeks, so i'm sure spending time at the house outside (pool?) is just fine, but you should definitely wander into the city and find some nice outdoor dining if you can.

spots near the beach have been a little more of a shitshow, so i would stick to the city.  sucks because you're less than a mile from some of the best hotel pools, and you won't be able to enjoy them (we're right by the london).

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

doheny estates is very very close to me.  i did a ~5 mile hike yesterday and might've walked past your rental.

like you said, there are a lot of restaurants trying to open back up, either with capacity restrictions or new innovation (glass wall separating people!).  but the ones i would lean towards are roping off sidewalk and adding outside seating.  most of them are also doing temp checks before you can sit.  i saw a few spots in bh and weho doing that.

the weather has been perfect the past few weeks, so i'm sure spending time at the house outside (pool?) is just fine, but you should definitely wander into the city and find some nice outdoor dining if you can.

spots near the beach have been a little more of a shitshow, so i would stick to the city.  sucks because you're less than a mile from some of the best hotel pools, and you won't be able to enjoy them (we're right by the london).

Ha, Surly has it all covered.  Yes, the house has an amazing pool.  We'll plan on the house and a couple meals/drinks out on patios.  Definitely avoiding the masses at the beach.  Appreciate the info. 

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ha, Surly has it all covered.  Yes, the house has an amazing pool.  We'll plan on the house and a couple meals/drinks out on patios.  Definitely avoiding the masses at the beach.  Appreciate the info. 

also make sure you're on postmates.  pretty much every nice restaurant has been participating, and will obviously deliver anywhere you are.

nothing wrong with a little craig's delivery while enjoying the view.

19 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

What I don’t understand is why everyone rushed to re-open. The CDC issued guidelines (before they were rescinded). A second shutdown in parts of the country will be drastically more ruinous than a staged re-opening based on metrics. Oops, don’t worry Houston. Your ICU beds may be full, but at least the theme parks, movie theaters and malls are still open. 

The idea was that if businesses were allowed to open, then people would go back to work and the states wouldn't have to pay as much in unemployment benefits. Plus the big donors wanted states to open up so they could conduct non-essential business again. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Skyline said:

The idea was that if businesses were allowed to open, then people would go back to work and the states wouldn't have to pay as much in unemployment benefits. Plus the big donors wanted states to open up so they could conduct non-essential business again. 

Right, but a healthy economy depends on the virus being under control. The idea that the two are divorced is/was fantasy 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Right, but a healthy economy depends on the virus being under control. The idea that the two are divorced is/was fantasy 

So much this.  The economic pain was coming no matter what - I can't understand why people don't get this.  Sure Houston is "open", but how many people are going to actually go out to eat or to a bar now that the chickens have come home to roost?

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Catalina was mind-boggling last weekend.  75% weren't wearing masks.  And they had been Gestapo up until recently.  In fact completely shut down to non-residents.  But I couldn't believe the lack of mask wearing.

We rented the top floor and top deck of The London a couple of years ago for our company Christmas party.  That top deck is legit.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

also make sure you're on postmates.  pretty much every nice restaurant has been participating, and will obviously deliver anywhere you are.

nothing wrong with a little craig's delivery while enjoying the view.

Take it to the food & travel forum.

(just kidding)

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yes, exactly. If there is a virus ripping through your population, then adding a meager amount of profit and taxes is meaningless to your economy. In fact, if we have to shut down all over again (which we should) then  the overall cost of covid will be even higher. This was the risk that Abbott and many GOP governors took on, while every Public Health guideline was telling them no. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Easy.

States (mostly red...all red?) were in a rush to re-open because the only thing trump had to run on was the economy.  So they had to get in back no matter what.  

• Like 4

I agree with what everyone here is saying about states opening too early, and probably it’s been politics driven. However there could have been a bigger motivator for the “early openers” that isn’t being discussed.

There are likely carefully guarded studies down in the bowels of our government showing economic projections of a Great Depression worse than the 1930’s unless we quickly get the economy re-started again. How quick? Hard to say. No one’s talking.

No one in Federal or State government can come right out and say that was the driver for opening too early because it would then become a self-fulfilling prophecy. So instead they have to look stupid in front of their constituents.

If this logic is true, and good lord I hope it’s not, then a bad second wave could mean we are headed into a very bad place economically but no one has been given visibility into that yet for obvious reasons.

Merry Xmas!