CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Had to run to the post office. Two guys in front of me didn’t have masks even though there are signs everywhere saying no mask no service. Their solution was to pull their T shirts over their faces. For half an hour. The workers inside didn’t even blink about it, so I guess it’s not the first time they have seen it. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

A story popped up today that the MMR vaccine may also be effective against Covid.  It was invented in the early 1970's and has been one of the vaccines given to children since then.  It would explain a lot of the weird aspects of who the virus infects.

That would be awesome, saw something a couple months ago on PBS where a doctor was claiming that Russian literature from back in the days of the Polio vaccine noted that the Polio vaccine had a side effect of killing the Flu virus.  They were going to go do some testing and see if that might be a way to solve for corona virii as well, but I never heard another thing about it so I guess that didn't work.  Would be interesting if some other vaccine has a side effect of killing corona.  Would be pretty fucking cool if we could all just go get an MMR booster to get rid of this shit.

16 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

That would be awesome, saw something a couple months ago on PBS where a doctor was claiming that Russian literature from back in the days of the Polio vaccine noted that the Polio vaccine had a side effect of killing the Flu virus.  They were going to go do some testing and see if that might be a way to solve for corona virii as well, but I never heard another thing about it so I guess that didn't work.  Would be interesting if some other vaccine has a side effect of killing corona.  Would be pretty fucking cool if we could all just go get an MMR booster to get rid of this shit.

I'm not as hopeful after I read some more on it thanks to some posts here.  There are some questions about how reliable the author of the study is.

Trump on coronavirus: 'If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/502819-trump-on-coronavirus-if-we-stop-testing-right-now-wed-have-very-few-cases

Sure is hard to argue with that kind of logic.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

12 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

"You know, we had the ONE WOMAN who said it worked great for her."

Also, Alex, find your testicles and tell this man what the entire medical community found in regards to this particular disease and this drug.  "The reports, Mr. President, are that you are the only fucking idiot in an important role who is pushing this complete bullshit.  The reports suggest that you're either grifting or a complete fucking idiot who won't let it go.  So go ahead and fold your arms like my grandchild, you spoiled pussy."

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Well, that's as good a guess as any.  Friday showed 702 deaths in the US.  October 1 is 108 days away.  108 days at 702 deaths per day is an additional 75.8K deaths, which would put us at 193K deaths on October 1.

Look, I'm an epidemiologist.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

wonder if this is the norm elsewhere?

I've got a friend who was "supposed" to be doing contact tracing for the state of Texas 50% of their working hours. They were barely trained, barely had a supervisor around to help with decisions, and last week were told that they would not be doing any more tracing and would be going back to their original state positions full-time. So we've got that going for us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

I've got a friend who was "supposed" to be doing contact tracing for the state of Texas 50% of their working hours. They were barely trained, barely had a supervisor around to help with decisions, and last week were told that they would not be doing any more tracing and would be going back to their original state positions full-time. So we've got that going for us.

Who was supposed to be paying/training them?

41 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Relative owned Ma Crosbys back in the day.  Good times, good times. /csb

That is a csb. It’s not open still, is it? Last I heard from my family, locals were starting to go back over to Acuna, but I don’t know what’s there anymore. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

That is a csb. It’s not open still, is it? Last I heard from my family, locals were starting to go back over to Acuna, but I don’t know what’s there anymore. 

Nah.  I last crossed over there 25 yrs ago. 90s quickly turned it into not my cup of tea.

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Guess we gave it the ol’ college try. And if Texas is anything like I was in college, well that try is fairly weak and involves way too much school night drinking. 

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

So maybe not the best thing to tell everyone to go out and take.

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

[truther warning] So here's the vid of rest of that Trump guy's explanation on the FDA's reversal and what it means:

Taken together, what that guy says is that not only did the FDA do the opposite of what the public understood it to mean, but also is it perfectly acceptable to prescribe this drug for any off label purpose including covid.  Then he casually lets it glide that early application is the direction it's headed.  Trump can't comprehend, let alone parrot, something so basic to save himself.  He just murders all mental coherence.

where we are today --> outpatient doctors and patients have the freedom to increasingly opt for early application of this med with a positive or presumed pos diagnosis.  The catch is, it won't be about whether you personally want to take it or not, it will be about whether you have rapid access to efficient health care to provide it.  The lack of an organized federal effort to coordinate anything that could amplify any positive outcome kind of renders it irrelevant.

For parents out there - kids die from malarial drugs like the one being touted here. Triple you need to give this warning every time you tout this drug, which is no longer approved for use as a COVID-19 drug.

Now that the FDA has withdrawn the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for HCQ in the fight against Covid-19 - PRESCRIBERS lose their immunity for any damages/deaths that result. The PREP Act only provides immunity for drugs authorized under an EUA. 

Prescribe at your own risk and let your malpractice carrier know what you are doing if you hope to have any coverage for any patient harm. They may drop you as an insured. 

Parents - run away from quacks. 

No offense intended to anyone. 

• Like 1

Fatal health risk for kids taking malaria drugs (drugs that kill mosquito protozoa in your blood).

You treat malaria with heavy brutish weapons loaded with risk Serious accidental overdose risk for kids with as little as two rather than on tablet. This is well known, but malaria is a horror show in Africa.

Journal of Emergency Medicine (pre-Covid) - https://www.jem-journal.com/article/S0736-4679(05)00030-2/fulltext

Ingestion of 1–2 tablets of chloroquine or hydroxylchloroquine is thought to predispose children under 6 years of age to serious morbidity and mortality. The actual risk to the toddler and appropriate guidelines for care remain unclear at a time when both medications are therapeutically utilized as anti-inflammatory agents in addition to their main use as anti-parasitics. A review of the literature and data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers reveals instances where exposure to as little as 1–2 tablets of chloroquine resulted in serious consequences. Based on these findings, ingestions of greater than 10 mg/kg of chloroquine base or unknown amounts require triage to the nearest health care facility for 4–6 h of observation. There is very limited data on pediatric hydroxychloroquine overdoses and no reports of toxicity from 1–2 pills, but given its similarity to chloroquine, it also should be considered potentially toxic at small doses. Thus, similar recommendations should be followed for triage after accidental hydroxychloroquine overdose.

Trump misled the American public. He needs to say he was wrong and warn the people who trust him for medical advice. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Fatal health risk for kids taking malaria drugs (drugs that kill mosquito protozoa in your blood).

You treat malaria with heavy brutish weapons loaded with risk Serious accidental overdose risk for kids with as little as two rather than on tablet. This is well known, but malaria is a horror show in Africa.

Journal of Emergency Medicine (pre-Covid) - https://www.jem-journal.com/article/S0736-4679(05)00030-2/fulltext

Trump misled the American public. He needs to say he was wrong and warn the people who trust him for medical advice. 

So does triplehorn

Well I haven't been posting much lately, as the endless stupidity is simply too frustrating.  Imagine if we actually were encouraged to do smart things rather than stupid things by our President?  We could have wide openings relatively safely, with everyone wearing masks to PROTECT OTHERS in case they are pre or asymptomatic.  Instead we have a President and proven repeated coward pretending that wearing masks is silly/stupid/fill in the blank.

So we are going to have lots and lots and lots more infections, and we are not going to have tracing or testing to do much more than "hope" things get better.  The political narrative is such that the dolts are already talking about a "second wave" in the states where Republican Governors have opened up. And their main effort reducing the number of case is simply to try their darndest simply not to count cases.  This is NOT a second wave, it's just the gradual spread of the virus due to inevitability of simple math. We are maybe 25 percent into the first wave.

So kids we are fucked.  We have 40 percent of the country thinking masks are stupid, and that 40 percent is going to help continue the spread for the next 18 months.  We will not shut down again, we will just simply pretend things are getting better.  They are not.  The fact that we still have about as shitty a program imaginable for testing and contract tracking is exactly par for the course with the Trump Administration. The good news is the Fed has flooded the markets with money and the stock market appears (temporarily) to be headed in the right direction.  But the money train can't last forever and while all the millionaires got free money that must be kept secret from the taxpayers, the small businesses for which the money was actually intended are dying out in droves.  As a bonus the GOP sees the stock market rise as a signal that nothing else needs to be done for the citizenry.  After all, the millionaires already got their free money... so all is good.

So remember as this thing drags on, and on, and on.  The simplest thing, wearing a fucking mask could cut down transmission dramatically.  Too bad we are currently led by a very, very stupid man. 

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

We’re just gonna keep going until we get a vaccine no matter how many sacrificial lambs we burn through, aren’t we?

That’s been apparent since early April.  There’s an election to win, and Meemaw and Peepaw are expected to do their part by dying unobtrusively.

• Like 2

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-drug-treatment-dexamethasone-59f559af-a3da-4678-812c-d4cb79eb42e1.html

Dexamethasone, a widely available steroid, appears to be a life-saving coronavirus treatment, reducing deaths among the sickest patients in a large, controlled clinical trial, British researchers said Tuesday.

Why it matters: This would be the first treatment with the potential to save lives — and it's an existing, generic drug, meaning it could be widely available and relatively cheap.

Oxford researchers leading the trial, called RECOVERY, said in a statement that dexamethasone cut the death rate by one-third among patients who were on a ventilator, and by one-fifth among patients who were on supplemental oxygen.

It showed no benefit for the healthiest patients.

While this is a large, controlled trial, the results were made public only in a press release. They have not been peer-reviewed, or published formally at all. 

These kinds of incremental, one-off statements have clouded the picture of how well other coronavirus treatments work. 

The Oxford researchers said they are "now working to publish the full details as soon as possible."

Only one other drug has been shown so far to be helpful in treating coronavirus. 

That drug, remdesivir, helps healthier patients get out of the hospital faster, but does not appear to improve the odds of survival for seriously ill patients. Dexamethasone would be the only drug to do that — so far.

Another hyped treatment, hydroxychloroquine, which was touted and taken by President Trump, had its emergency use authorization for coronavirus use pulled by the FDA on Monday.

The bottom line: "If this holds up — this is very good news indeed!" tweeted Ashish Jha, the director of Harvard's Global Health Institute. 

9 hours ago, triplehorn said:

[truther warning] So here's the vid of rest of that Trump guy's explanation on the FDA's reversal and what it means:

Taken together, what that guy says is that not only did the FDA do the opposite of what the public understood it to mean, but also is it perfectly acceptable to prescribe this drug for any off label purpose including covid.  Then he casually lets it glide that early application is the direction it's headed.  Trump can't comprehend, let alone parrot, something so basic to save himself.  He just murders all mental coherence.

where we are today --> outpatient doctors and patients have the freedom to increasingly opt for early application of this med with a positive or presumed pos diagnosis.  The catch is, it won't be about whether you personally want to take it or not, it will be about whether you have rapid access to efficient health care to provide it.  The lack of an organized federal effort to coordinate anything that could amplify any positive outcome kind of renders it irrelevant.

Seriously, what is your malfunction? From the actual letter:

Today’s request to revoke is based on new information, including clinical trial data results, that have led BARDA to conclude that this drug may not be effective to treat COVID-19 [Coronavirus Disease 2019] and that the drug’s potential benefits for such use do not outweigh its known and potential risks.

• We now believe that the suggested dosing regimens for CQ and HCQ as detailed in the Fact Sheets are unlikely to produce an antiviral effect.
  • Earlier observations of decreased viral shedding with HCQ or CQ treatment have not been consistently replicated and recent data from a randomized controlled trial assessing probability of negative conversion showed no difference between HCQ and standard of care alone.
  • Current U.S. treatment guidelines do not recommend the use of CQ or HCQ in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 outside of a clinical trial, and the NIH guidelines now recommend against such use outside of a clinical trial.
  • Recent data from a large randomized controlled trial showed no evidence of benefit for mortality or other outcomes such as hospital length of stay or need for mechanical ventilation of HCQ treatment in hospitalized patients with COVID19

FDA has concluded that, based on this new information and other information discussed in the attached memorandum, it is no longer reasonable to believe that oral formulations of HCQ and CQ may be effective in treating COVID-19, nor is it reasonable to believe that the known and potential benefits of these products outweigh their known and potential risks

Stop peddling this nonsense. It is malpractice for a doctor to prescribe or recommend treatment where the risks outweigh the benefits. That is where HCQ stands in relationship to Covid-19. 

Edited by Dahobbs

29 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Seriously, what is your malfunction? From the actual letter:

Stop peddling this nonsense. It is malpractice for a doctor to prescribe or recommend treatment where the risks outweigh the benefits. That is where HCQ stands in relationship to Covid-19. 

Above, I pointed out that what was said about the FDA policy change was misunderstood in this thread.  That's all.  The Trump official at the table explained it.  The communication and messaging around everything is just so mangled.  And again, in the bulleted information you included, the studies and conclusions almost entirely relate to hospitalized patients with advanced illness.  People's understanding is fixated on the results of late stage application.  

Can someone point me to a US study on early application where mitigation of illness severity or incidence of need for hospitalization was measured?  A single US study?  On the international front, there's been quite a bit of arrogant ridicule of international scientists and physicians they disagree with, and mocking of preprints and published non-US research.  In the meantime, there is mounting evidence internationally that early application is where the effect is observed. 

Regarding the kids warning and malpractice scare, welcome to medicine!  No kid should have access to your prescriptions ever.  That's includes your Tylenol which can also be fatal.  Informed consent goes along with any prescribed use of medication, whether it's on or off-label.  And HCQ is a lot less likely to cause any meaningful adverse event in 5 days of use than a multitude of medications prescribed for their FDA approved use.  People are acting like off-label use of anything by definition is some rogue act.  It's not.  Are there some off-label uses that are not safe and completely unsupported by anything? Yes, of course.  But that is not the case here. 

So today, at the federal level, HCQ can be used off-label in the US for early intervention of Covid infection.  However some individual States may still have policies in place that restrict use to hospitalized patients or clinical trials.