CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Welp, so far Central Oregon has managed to get by unscathed.  However, there are certainly some issues in the rest of the State:

Spike in Oregon COVID-19 cases tied to Union County church

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Oregon’s coronavirus cases continue to rise, with 184 new cases reported Monday - the highest daily count in the state since the start of the pandemic.

The Oregon Health Authority says a portion of the increase is due to an outbreak in Union County in the rural northeastern part of the state, where 99 people tested positive for COVID-19. A number of cases are associated with the Lighthouse Pentecostal Church in Union County, said Dr. Paul Cieslak, medical director for infectious diseases and immunizations at the Health Authority Public Health Division.

Authorities weren’t more specific about exactly how many cases were tied to the church.

Cieslak said because there were cases associated with the church, the county worked with it to host a testing clinic.

“We have been doing testing, especially targeted testing, around the places where we are starting to see clusters,” Cieslak. “The clusters cue us off where the disease transmission is going on and once you find a cluster and have a testing event like this, you find a lot of people infected.”

Cieslak said 365 people in Union County were tested over the weekend, and officials are expecting the remaining test results Tuesday.

Union County has a population of nearly 27,000 according to the U.S. Census. Prior to the latest, Union County had fewer than 25 confirmed cases during the pandemic.

“We were surprised by the number that tested positive,” Cieslak said.

The county moved into phase 2 of the state’s reopening plan, which loosens restrictions on restaurants and gatherings, June 5.

“One of our messages that we are trying to get out to the public is that large gatherings, especially in close quarters if distancing can’t be maintained, are really an efficient way in spreading COVID-19,” Cieslak said. “Whether it be in a workplace, or especially a closed assembly area, this is really a concern.”

Monday’s reported cases across the state bring the new total number of people who have tested positive for coronavirus in Oregon to 5,820. In addition, four more people have died from the disease, raising the state’s death toll to 180. The second highest daily case count in the state was 178 cases on Thursday.

In response to the increasing case counts Gov. Kate Brown last week said she was putting all county applications for further reopening from her COVID-19 restrictions on hold for seven days.

For most, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death.

https://apnews.com/2306ec25bf15f2529cf44471d5131556

Yeah, quoting myself. The case count from this one Pentecostal Church has now grown to 236, making it the single largest outbreak in Oregon to date. In an area of about 27k.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

16 friends go to a bar in Florida and come down with the 'Rona.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/16-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-an-outing-at-a-florida-bar/ar-BB15BpD1?ocid=spartandhp

Because of course they did. And because Florida.

It's like seeing some ants running around in the yard, then you decide to lift up a flagstone

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Gov. Ron DeSantis said 260 workers at the Orlando International Airport have tested positive for the coronavirus after nearly 500 employees were tested.

“[An]Airport in Central Florida had a couple of cases, they did the contract tracing. They looked [at] almost 500 workers [and] 260 people working close together were positive, 52 percent positivity rate on that one,” DeSantis said.

More than 2,780 new cases of coronavirus were reported in Florida on Tuesday.

19 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Seriously, break off the HCQ discussion; it's a massive waste of bandwidth.

Thanks a bunch assholes, all you did was flush him out to the medical discussion thread on the other board. Now he is posting tweets from quack association AAPS over there. 

The association has promoted a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism.

16 friends go to a bar in Florida and come down with the 'Rona.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/16-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-an-outing-at-a-florida-bar/ar-BB15BpD1?ocid=spartandhp

Because of course they did. And because Florida.

Right next to my office. We’ve now had 4 more close this week w sick employees.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Thanks a bunch assholes, all you did was flush him out to the medical discussion thread on the other board. Now he is posting tweets from quack association AAPS over there. 

The association has promoted a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism.

So why did you bring it here? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Well i was talking to my millionaire buddy whose family businesses got a couple free million, about the reopening roughly 10 days ago.  He is all in on Trump and has hosted more than one McCaul event.  There was little to no disruption in their business and $200K a month is about as good as $225K a month for a couple months to receive a taxpayer windfall.  It was sad to hear him repeat hook line and sinker the Trump/Fox talking points. Trump stopped China travel! Pelosi went to Chinatown! Nobody could have know this virus was coming!

It was very disturbing for him to listen to me calmly explain, "You realize that nearly all the cases in New York and on the East coast came from travelers coming in from Europe don't you?"

"Well we gotta get back to work!" he proclaims.  "We need to get the country back to work!"  I ask him is he going back in (he barely showed up before the virus) and he said no.  He was going to go out to his new place in Galveston and hang out on the private beach.  "You really need to come down after this is over, and teach me how to fish on the beach."  I make the point that he wants OTHERS to go back to work, but he personally doesn't want to risk exposure himself.  I explain that in my opinion the markets are going to eventually pull back simply because a lot more people are gonna die and I am unsure if we can shrug it off economically.  I proclaim that, "You are going to see 200,000 dead by Thanksgiving." My head says by October 1, but with purposeful under counting, Thanksgiving was a safer bet.

Ultimately he got pissed and just wanted off the phone, because I was "so liberal" in my views.  I still do not understand how understanding simple math, and rudimentary science makes you a liberal.  But that's pretty much universally the position of every Republican at this point in history.

there was an article on here somewhere last week i think, addressing this phenomenon. basically that a lot of the cognitive dissonance surrounding this and basically most things Trump is a subconscious defense mechanism for these people...

they know he's horrible, that things are terrible, the virus, civil unrest, economy, etc... that we're in a world of shit basically, and it terrifies them. for self-preservation (as well as to assuage some guilt i would assume) they are able to basically block it all out by literally just refusing to acknowledge or accept reality. 

the anecdote in the article i think was the author's mother who, when faced with unrelenting facts and evidence of how bad things were finally 'broke' and screamed something like "DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW HOW BAD IT IS?? I GET IT BUT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!" and shut down any further discussion. 

i thought it was a fascinating take. i could see it.

• Like 1

there was an article on here somewhere last week i think, addressing this phenomenon. basically that a lot of the cognitive dissonance surrounding this and basically most things Trump is a subconscious defense mechanism for these people...
they know he's horrible, that things are terrible, the virus, civil unrest, economy, etc... that we're in a world of shit basically, and it terrifies them. for self-preservation (as well as to assuage some guilt i would assume) they are able to basically block it all out by literally just refusing to acknowledge or accept reality. 
the anecdote in the article i think was the author's mother who, when faced with unrelenting facts and evidence of how bad things were finally 'broke' and screamed something like "DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW HOW BAD IT IS?? I GET IT BUT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!" and shut down any further discussion. 
i thought it was a fascinating take. i could see it.
Or he could just be an asshole who wants lower wage workers and mindless consumers to get back to business so he can get back to the beach (lol Galveston), earning 20 percent.
  • Like 2

What's the story here?  Who's the girl?

The left is a popular meme. It appears the young man capitalized on his notoriety in college. I don't get the use either but the world needs some feel good stories now and then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Well i was talking to my millionaire buddy whose family businesses got a couple free million, about the reopening roughly 10 days ago.  He is all in on Trump and has hosted more than one McCaul event.  There was little to no disruption in their business and $200K a month is about as good as $225K a month for a couple months to receive a taxpayer windfall.  It was sad to hear him repeat hook line and sinker the Trump/Fox talking points. Trump stopped China travel! Pelosi went to Chinatown! Nobody could have know this virus was coming!

It was very disturbing for him to listen to me calmly explain, "You realize that nearly all the cases in New York and on the East coast came from travelers coming in from Europe don't you?"

"Well we gotta get back to work!" he proclaims.  "We need to get the country back to work!"  I ask him is he going back in (he barely showed up before the virus) and he said no.  He was going to go out to his new place in Galveston and hang out on the private beach.  "You really need to come down after this is over, and teach me how to fish on the beach."  I make the point that he wants OTHERS to go back to work, but he personally doesn't want to risk exposure himself.  I explain that in my opinion the markets are going to eventually pull back simply because a lot more people are gonna die and I am unsure if we can shrug it off economically.  I proclaim that, "You are going to see 200,000 dead by Thanksgiving." My head says by October 1, but with purposeful under counting, Thanksgiving was a safer bet.

Ultimately he got pissed and just wanted off the phone, because I was "so liberal" in my views.  I still do not understand how understanding simple math, and rudimentary science makes you a liberal.  But that's pretty much universally the position of every Republican at this point in history.

Ah yes. I've had some of these.

(Ranting and raving super right wing nonsense)

"Actually... (facts)."

"Wow you're so liberal."

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

What's the story here?  Who's the girl?

I believe it was reported that he unknowing hooked up with his cousin. Story goes that it wasn't a random hook up, she was a local prostitute that he paid for. Said he was drawn to her for some strange reason. They ended up both catching the coronavirus from their escapades and eventually found out their genetic relationship.

or maybe he caught a break finally.

Edited by Irwin F Fletcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Not hard to understand. Here's a greedy asshole who put his money above the lives of everyone else. This is who the republicans pander towards. They keep the rich getting richer while sacrificing the lives of everyone else. The rich love it, the rest should be violently revolting but are too stupid/lazy/weak of will to do anything. 

Since June 1 the new daily cases 7-day average for TX has gone up 92% while NY's 7-day average has dropped 53%.  Their current 7-day average is 70% less than ours as of yesterday.

But hey, hold out hope since they just started re-opening last week maybe they can regain the title.

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
54 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Abbott is such a spineless bitch. Terrible excuse for a leader. I hope the state remembers this in 2022.

"Government can't make people wear masks"

"Aha! But the government can make business require patrons to wear masks! Counties and municipalities solved the riddle three months later! Congratulations"

So fucking stupid. This was 100% Abbott finding an opportunity to walk this back because some judge in San Antonio found a loophole. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

This was 100% Abbott finding an opportunity to walk this back because some judge in San Antonio found a loophole. 

Yep.  Entirely an attempt at a face-saving move by the quivering bowl of shit-flavored gelatin that is our governor.

• Like 2

Yep, I can just imagine Hot Wheels rolling around the office when the biggest spike in the history of TX 'Ronas comes out wringing his hands saying "If they would only ask for the businesses to impose mandatory masks.  Why won't they just ask the simple question; it's all right there for them to figure out.  Stupid libtards."

• Haha 1

Eh. This is kinda horseshit just like it was when the low effort DT roving group of hillbillies was screaming "but New York" from the mountaintops. It's all apples to watermelons type comparisons. You have to look at states and even regions individually.

27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Eh. This is kinda horseshit just like it was when the low effort DT roving group of hillbillies was screaming "but New York" from the mountaintops. It's all apples to watermelons type comparisons. You have to look at states and even regions individually.

I agree with that for the very beginning of the pandemic, but by May this virus had infiltrated every single place in this country so it then became about governance and the public's behavior. 

Just now, LABEVO said:

I joked with friends that Republican states are going to end up killing their voters due to dumb policy.  Looks like it is finally happening....

Arguably NY had the single biggest shit the bed moment so far with their readmission policy in nursing home facilities. Now someone might surpass that mark, but its a pretty high one. 

(So sorry - can't figure out how to adjust font; following is shamelessly plagiarized.)

If Trump were Captain of the Titanic:

There isn't any iceberg

It’s a fake iceberg

There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean

People say it's the biggest iceberg

The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon

There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg

We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly

I knew from the beginning there was an iceberg, long before people called it an iceberg

The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg

We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats

Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them

We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors

Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats

I really don't think we need that many lifeboats

We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats

The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship

Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg

I'm an expert on icebergs I've got lots of friends who deal with icebergs, some of the best, really good ice people who know ice

Summer will come and the iceberg will disappear, it will go away, like magic

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

(So sorry - can't figure out how to adjust font; following is shamelessly plagiarized.)

Use paste special/plain text, which is a general courtesy for those of us who use the dark theme here as pasting formatted text often appears as black letters on a black background:

There isn't any iceberg

It’s a fake iceberg

There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean

People say it's the biggest iceberg

The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon

There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg

We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly

I knew from the beginning there was an iceberg, long before people called it an iceberg

The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg

We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats

Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them

We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors

Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats

I really don't think we need that many lifeboats

We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats

The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship

Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg

I'm an expert on icebergs I've got lots of friends who deal with icebergs, some of the best, really good ice people who know ice

Summer will come and the iceberg will disappear, it will go away, like magic

10 hours ago, LABEVO said:

I joked with friends that Republican states are going to end up killing their voters due to dumb policy.  Looks like it is finally happening....

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Arguably NY had the single biggest shit the bed moment so far with their readmission policy in nursing home facilities. Now someone might surpass that mark, but its a pretty high one. 

Yeah @labevo that is dumb fucking take that I just don't understand why so many people on this board and even in DT rush to make.  Why do people keep jumping to "those dumb redneck Republicans" or those "dumb snowflake libitards." 

NY, NJ, CU, CT, MA, and RI are the worst 5 states for deaths per capita, and it isn't even close.  Louisiana at 6th would have to almost triple their deaths to catch up with NY and NJ.  Florida with their spring break and beaches that have been on everyone's twitter feed would have to have 10x deaths to catch up to NY and NJ.  And Texas, that apparently never does anything right, would need to have 20x.  It might happen, but its not an R or D thing.  It is a population density and mass transit per capita thing, with a sprinkle of domestic and international per day travelers on top.    

• Like 2