CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

11 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

CA is through the roof. Isn't that majority democrats also very strict lockdown rules. 

No.  I was out there 3 weeks ago and lots of restaurants open, fitness centers open, people at work and all that shit. But as usual you take some memes from bullshit sources and try and pass it off as you know stuff. 

I posted this morning to your numbers guy crap and showed you.

Sweden. 10 million population.  7000+ deaths.

Finland and Norway. 10 million population. 1000 deaths. 

Just like today I am in Austin and outside at restaurant and 4 people all arrive at table at different times and by over hearing conversations know they don’t live in same house. Not a mask to be seen.  

2 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Prove the science wrong.  No one is doing that.

Oh look, another negative RCT published today, post exposure prophy.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6519

The science has been discussed in great detail on this thread and the medical thread. We've talked about the bad animal models, the specific limitations of observational research in this setting, and the mountain of data from well conducted studies that fail to show an effect.  If HCQ does anything, the effect size is very small. Every time people try to actually discuss the science, you stick your head in the turf only to pop back up later with more nonsense.  It's been an eight month game of whack a mole clown.  

2 hours ago, triplehorn said:

It's quack, clown, gif...

1s0o4i.jpg

21 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I was just responding to him doubting CA was also blowing up in cases despite it having some of the strictest regulations. 

California is currently #33 among states in cases per 100k over the last 7 days. Still not great, and trending in the wrong direction like the rest of the country...but not nearly as drastically as most. So if you're trying to use California as evidence that masks/social distancing don't do anything, you're an idiot. Which we already knew.

Also, as a resident, I can assure you that the lockdowns are nowhere near as draconian as I'm sure you envision.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I was just responding to him doubting CA was also blowing up in cases despite it having some of the strictest regulations. 

That’s just the problem. You have 0 idea of what is happening in CA as far as lockdowns. You hear some from Onan and “assume” it is correct. Their restrictions as of 3 weeks ago were not much different than Texas. In the last 2 days that will change because of surge. They DID NOT have STRICT lockdown. I know that doesn’t fit your world view but quit listening to conspiracy theory and do just 1 minute of google research (that 8 year olds can do) to get some ideas that don’t come from Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Oh look, another negative RCT published today, post exposure prophy.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6519

The science has been discussed in great detail on this thread and the medical thread. We've talked about the bad animal models, the specific limitations of observational research in this setting, and the mountain of data from well conducted studies that fail to show an effect.  If HCQ does anything, the effect size is very small. Every time people try to actually discuss the science, you stick your head in the turf only to pop back up later with more nonsense.  It's been an eight month game of whack a mole clown.  

1s0o4i.jpg

Serious question. Given all of this. Why are you still a republican? 

33 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Huh? Almost 20K cases just today. 

spacer.png

Huh?  Just yesterday you were promoting instances per million as your standard, but now you’re promoting raw actual numbers as the standard.  So which is it?  And you were railing on OTHERS for picking and choosing their stats?!

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean I can rant and rave and troll and stroll all over these boards. Spouting out opinions on this and that and what and not.

But at some point you have to take a stand as to what side you actually believe it. But I guess you don’t have to. I can’t force you to punch in the letters on the keys to this board. 

16 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

That’s just the problem. You have 0 idea of what is happening in CA as far as lockdowns. You hear some from Onan and “assume” it is correct. Their restrictions as of 3 weeks ago were not much different than Texas. In the last 2 days that will change because of surge. They DID NOT have STRICT lockdown. I know that doesn’t fit your world view but quit listening to conspiracy theory and do just 1 minute of google research (that 8 year olds can do) to get some ideas that don’t come from Trump. 

You don't know me. I am a center right guy. I voted for Obama once upon a time. I have got a little more conservative over time. You are just making shit up and making broad assumptions about me in a attempt to discredit me. I know exactly what is going on in CA. I have a lot of family in CA I talk to constantly. I have clients in CA. Covid regulations are stricter compared to most other states. A lot of you guys here just ooze this very off-putting elitist attitude where anyone who disagrees is just some extemeist Trumpster bafoon. It has no merit and you make broad sweeping generalizations which actually makes you look like the person you accuse me of being. 

1 minute ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

You don't know me. I am a center right guy. I voted for Obama once upon a time. I have got a little more conservative over time. You are just making shit up and making broad assumptions about me in a attempt to discredit me. I know exactly what is going on in CA. I have a lot of family in CA I talk to constantly. I have clients in CA. Covid regulations are stricter compared to most other states. A lot of you guys here just ooze this very off-putting elitist attitude where anyone who disagrees is just some extemeist Trumpster bafoon. It has no merit and you make broad sweeping generalizations which actually makes you look like the person you accuse me of being. 

Yet still no answer to my post showing Sweden vs Finland/Norway. Wonder why?

9 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Huh?  Just yesterday you were promoting instances per million as your standard, but now you’re promoting raw actual numbers as the standard.  So which is it?  And you were railing on OTHERS for picking and choosing their stats?!

Here you go. Just did a sort on deaths per 1M. 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Dude. I don’t have a college degree. I have been to CA in the last few weeks. My office is there. 
I am not “elitist”. I voted Republican straight until 2016 cause I did 5 minutes of research on Trump and realized he is a bad guy and I trust nothing coming out of his mouth. In 2016 I did not fill out president because I hated both. I did not vote for Biden, I voted against Trump. 
1 thing my dad instilled in me is bullshit is bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I think we can all agree that is not an answer to the question. Which I guess you didn’t like. 

It's an question you should already know the answer to, if you were capable of paying attention.

I have voted for 1 republican at any level of government in my entire life.  That was over 20 years ago, and I regretted it nearly immediately.  I have donated to more democrats, in both dollars and number of candidates, than I have people who caucused to the GOP.  But I am really glad that you feel the need to jump in and deflect for triple.  We've seen this from you before.  There is a whole thread where you like minded conspiracy wingnuts spread nonsense.  Peas in a pod.   

23 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Buffoon. I don't give a damn who you voted for, who you're related to, or whether you talk to clients in other states. You're full of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

A lot of you guys here just ooze this very off-putting elitist attitude where anyone who disagrees is just some extemeist Trumpster bafoon.

It's almost like they expect people with dissenting opinions to do the bare minimum to passably understand the data that they're presenting and the point that they think they're making.

1 hour ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

CA is through the roof. Isn't that majority democrats also very strict lockdown rules. 

37 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Lol at CA being under a "strict lockdown."

18 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

California is currently #33 among states is cases per 100k over the last 7 days. Still not great, and trending in the wrong direction like the rest of the country...but not nearly as drastic as most. So if you're trying to use California as evidence that masks/social distancing don't do anything, you're an idiot. Which we already knew.

Also, as a resident, I can assure you that the lockdowns are nowhere near as draconian as I'm sure you envision.

4 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

The first post is just wrong and there is nothing elitist about stating my opinion about the wrongness of it.

I got a call this week from my oldest who, like some of the others who posted above, lives in California. They (Pasadena) had been doing okay. Regulations had been strict during the initial first wave and California as a whole had a much flatter wave than Texas from March through the end of summer (even with the protests). Some of the restrictions had been slowly going through the lifting phases. They have not been in the strictest measures mode for quite a while and even then, the state had different measures based on different regions--it is a large and diversely populated state with various degrees of impact and travel. The health departments were following as much of the recommended strategies that were feasible, especially considering they had a crap ton of FIRES to deal with. Fires that brought in people from all over the place because the fires were just that bad.

We still don't know just how much travel is going to and from various states (maybe less than last year at this time but certainly not zero) and how many people are still holding gatherings at home.

The hospitals AND staff (who aren't necessarily people you can just pick up on a corner) are or are about to become overwhelmed, which is and continues to be one of the main pushes for mitigation measures. If one of my young drivers gets in a car accident, who will care for them? If you have a stroke, what will happen to you? Should everyone who gets the virus with serious complications be sent home with oxygen to take their chances? That's what happened in Mitchell, South Dakota. Their hospital was full and so only the worst cases could stay. (That was in WaPo this morning). What happens when the healthcare providers have collapsed from exhaustion? Doctors Without Borders came to our country because we have not faced this together and dealt with it. (They have since concluded their operations here, but may return).

It was not fear of panic or interest in public health that drove the agenda set after the Intel briefings about the virus in late January and early February to the WH and the Senate leaders. It was money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

We were talking about current cases at the time vs degrees of regulation and if it has an affect in cases. 

And, again, they're 33rd in cases per 100k over the last 7 days, despite only increasing restrictions a couple of days ago.

9 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Here you go. Just did a sort on deaths per 1M. 

spacer.png

That's for the entire duration of the virus, including the initial outbreak before the lockdowns, dumbass. It's already been explained to you that does not capture the trend line over time. Looking at the average number of cases for the last week is a much more accurate reflection for where the various states stand at the moment.

Before we knew how to handle it and what the fuck was going on:

• Northeast Corridor & International Flights from Europe: NJ, NY, MA, CT, RI, DC
  • Inland International Airports: MI, IL
  • Mardi Gras: LA, MS

Late spring outbreak and learning the ropes: 

• Arizona

August outbreak following Sturgis fuckery:

• ND, SD

Let's now look at the last week:

State/Territory Deaths in Last 7 Days per 100K
South Dakota 2.6
Iowa 2.2
North Dakota 2.1
Kansas 1.5
Nebraska 1.5
Illinois 1.4
Indiana 1.2
Michigan 1.2
Rhode Island 1.2
Wyoming 1.2

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_deathsper100klast7days

Don't be a deliberate dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

We were talking about current cases at the time vs degrees of regulation and if it has an affect in cases. 

Sweden vs Norway/Finland? That kind of time vs regulation?

Edited by Shaddie

19 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I am a numbers guy

18 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

The avg median age of a covid death is 78. 

The average median... You are certainly, by no means, a "numbers guy." My daughter's stupid cat has a better grasp of data than you.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't think it's deliberate. He genuinely believes he has a good handle on the stats because he's a numbers guy. 

Oh it’s deliberate.  He is still thinking he can “learn the idiots that don’t believe my numbers are infallible cause I heard them on Anon and theys would never deceive me.”

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's an question you should already know the answer to, if you were capable of paying attention.

I have voted for 1 republican at any level of government in my entire life.  That was over 20 years ago, and I regretted it nearly immediately.  I have donated to more democrats, in both dollars and number of candidates, than I have people who caucused to the GOP.  But I am really glad that you feel the need to jump in and deflect for triple.  We've seen this from you before.  There is a whole thread where you like minded conspiracy wingnuts spread nonsense.  Peas in a pod.   

Fine. I guess my powers of deductive reason have failed me again. Not a surprise. 

Don’t feel like getting into a pointless argument with you about it. Just assumed based on your statements about Biden, but at this point what does it matter anyway. It’s getting close to me leaving here anyway. Not for good, but for most. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Fine. I guess my powers of deductive reason have failed me again. Not a surprise. 

Don’t feel like getting into a pointless argument with you about it. Just assumed based on your statements about Biden, but at this point what does it matter anyway. It’s getting close to me leaving here anyway. Not for good, but for most. 

Would you guys take your personal beef offline so we can reserve this space to keep pummeling passive coach? 
Some people don’t realize what is important. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1