CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

According to an interview with HHS Azar, The US has bought 600 million doses across 6 different companies. Pfizer in particular, the US bought 100 million doses with the option to acquire another 500 million doses. 

If you believe that, I've got 100 million Pfizer vaccines to sell you. Why should we be surprised Trump maybe fucked up vaccines? Of course he did. We'll still be dealing with when the rest of the developed world is back to normal. 

17 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Are there any guarantees on the supply from Moderna? Its 100 million doses which means 50 million vaccinated. That is...not enough. 

Moderna's supply chain is a risk imo.  Pfizer is fucking Pfizer. And they even shit the bed with their supply chain, so who fucking knows. Moderna's advantage at this point is the storage requirements, which is Pfizer's biggest limitation. We're gonna see how this all shakes out. There is plenty to criticize related to the vax process imo, not throwing more guaranteed money at Pfizer in the summer isn't one of them imo.  

Edited by Anastasis

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/walter-reed-schedule-doctor-who-criticized-trump-actions-to-be-removed/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=106535212

Dr. James Phillips, the emergency room physician who publicly criticized President Trump's decision to drive with Secret Service agents to greet supporters while he was hospitalized with COVID-19 in October, has been removed from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center's schedule starting in January, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Phillips is chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University and works as an attending physician on a contract basis for Walter Reed, which is located in Bethesda, Maryland. On October 4, after the president rode in his motorcade around the hospital, Phillips tweeted, "Every single person...in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential "drive-by" just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die. For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity." The tweet has since been deleted. 

Walter Reed officials deny they made the decision to remove him, telling CBS News the hospital "provides requirements for contract positions. Schedules are determined by the contractor. There was no decision made by anyone at WRNMMC to remove Dr. Phillips from the schedule." 

That suggests that it was Phillips' contractor, GW Medical Faculty Associates, that removed him from the schedule. GW MFA did not respond to a request for comment.

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Moderna's supply chain is a risk imo.  Pfizer is fucking Pfizer. And they even shit the bed with their supply chain, so who fucking knows. Moderna's advantage at this point is the storage requirements, which is Pfizer's biggest limitation. We're gonna see how this all shakes out. There is plenty to criticize related to the vax process imo, not throwing more guaranteed money at Pfizer in the summer isn't one of them imo.  

He treads hard but he speaks the truth.

• Hook 'Em 1

A former Alabama state senator died of COVID-19 last week at age 78, officials said.

Former Sen. Larry Dixon, a Republican who also served as the executive director of the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners, died from COVID-19 on Dec. 4, the board said in a statement on Friday.

Dr. David Thrasher, a close friend of Dixon and a pulmonologist in Montgomery, told NBC News that Dixon's wife, Gaynell Dixon, told Thrasher that his last words to her were a prescient warning to the people of Alabama.

“We messed up, we let our guard down,” Dixon said, according to Thrasher. “Please tell everybody to be careful. This is real, and if you get diagnosed, get help immediately.

https://www.today.com/health/former-alabama-senator-larry-dixon-dies-covid-19-age-78-t202946

Edited by Satchel

1 hour ago, PsychMike said:

Hey everyone,

FYI, here's the link to the FDA Briefing document for the upcoming Advisory Committee meeting on the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. This will be the deepest look at the data available for awhile. (I haven't read it yet but wanted everyone to know it's available)

https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download

Thanks for linking this. The data suggest that there may be a protective effect starting after first dose against severe disease. That’s the piece of new information jumped out to me on a quick skim of tables. 

Edited by Anastasis
removed seven days...
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Add it to this Media Matters study on Fox and their pandemic reporting:

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-has-undermined-public-health-measures-over-1000-coronavirus-segments-september-1

Media Matters reviewed all coronavirus-related segments that aired on Fox News over a three-month period, September 1 through November 30, and found 1,001 segments that included at least one instance of a Fox News personality or guest undermining any health measure. The criticisms included describing health measures as unconstitutional or unlawful; highlighting persons, groups, or organizations actively fighting against any health measure; and accusing progressive politicians or activists of hypocrisy regarding the enforcement of, or adherence to, any health measure.

I loved this little chart. Gee, I wonder why so many people are walking around w/o masks, ignoring requests/guidelines/attending superspreader events?

Fox News daily coronavirus segments that include comments undermining public health guidelines

• Hook 'Em 1

Covid Passport

As all the anti-vaxxers doomcast about being forced to be vaccinated by the Federal government, in actuality, the people forcing you to be vaccinated will be private companies. Which is a good thing. If you want to go back to work, board an airplane, see a concert,  you will need proof you've been vaccinated. If your crazy ass doesn't want to be vaccinated, that's fine, but you can't participate in things like the rest of us, stay home. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccine-passports-could-help-life-return-to-normal-but-experts-urge-caution-11607425135

https://www.today.com/health/covid-vaccine-passport-apps-could-show-immunity-health-status-t203011

People who get the two required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine may be given a “WHO-CDC type of card” through their clinic to serve as proof of vaccination — very similar to the paper “yellow card” currently issued after someone receives the yellow fever vaccine, Adalja said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has so far unveiled a vaccine record card meant to serve as a reminder when the second shot is due, but is not intended to be used as a "vaccine passport."

There have problems with people forging yellow fever cards, which are required for entry into certain countries, Adalja noted. So when it comes to COVID-19, tech firms have been developing ways to create digital immunity certificates or “immunity passports.”

Airlines and other companies are interested in apps that could allow their customers to enter and store immunization information, test results and other medical documents — just like carriers store a person’s TSA Precheck or Global Entry data. People who’ve had the vaccine could then show a health pass generated by the app and navigate the world much more easily than those who are still at risk for catching or spreading COVID-19.

The apps could interface with state immunization registries to verify the information, Adalja said.

“It would be something that's easier to facilitate than having to carry and produce the card every time,” he noted.

I'm all for this. 

I guess my only question would be, does the App maker work with CVS or whoever to prove you got both shots of the vaccine? I guess it would be like getting your car inspected now. You can't renew your car sticker until the inspection place uploads the data you have passed the inspection. Once CVS/provider shows you got both shots, it transmits the information to the App and you can go to airplanes/concerts/whatever maskless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Add it to this Media Matters study on Fox and their pandemic reporting:

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-has-undermined-public-health-measures-over-1000-coronavirus-segments-september-1

I loved this little chart. Gee, I wonder why so many people are walking around w/o masks, ignoring requests/guidelines/attending superspreader events?

Fox News daily coronavirus segments that include comments undermining public health guidelines

It's probably no coincidence that my gullible, avid Fox News watching, 83-year-old dad is now in the hospital and on oxygen after attending a get-together the weekend before Thanksgiving. Yes, no one was wearing a mask and all came away from it positive. Now, my mom has tested positive, has a low-grade fever, and is a little short of breath. Fortunately, my sister (who's a PA) is staying in my parents' RV and is looking after my mom during the day while fully dressed in her PPE.

Thanks again to Fox News, the anti-maskers, "it's just the flu!" and the "we have to open everything up!" crowd for contributing to the misinformation stream that has led to my dad being in the hospital...and likely my mom next.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 7

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Looks like they took a snap shot of one day in test results - rather than the avg. of 7 days.

Using one day risks using bad data (outliers) as a valid representation of where the "hotspots" are.

TLDR - poor data science that would never be used to decide policy, but effective enough to mislead the public.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Nothing about that map makes any sense. 

What?  You mean we don't have 0 new cases per 100k over the last week?  No wai.

So we have conservatives up in arms over section 230 because they want to blow up Twitter. Yet here we have Fox News, a bona-fide content publisher already, publishing false content with no legal repercussions whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Here is the paper.  The nuance is that the half dose regimen was 90% effective, the full dose regimen was 62% effective. So not as bad as the headline makes it appear.

https://marlin-prod.literatumonline.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620326611.pdf

So is the takeaway that the half dose regimen will be used on the public, meaning the 90% effectiveness is the relevant number?

24 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

So is the takeaway that the half dose regimen will be used on the public, meaning the 90% effectiveness is the relevant number?

No idea what they are going to file on, but that is what I would think.  There is a pretty good theoretical explanation for why the half dose first shot regimen works better...What is concerning, or at least one of the concerning aspects, is that this was just a quality control fuck up that uncovered the finding. What a cluster.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No idea what they are going to file on, but that is what I would think.  There is a pretty good theoretical explanation for why the half dose first shot regimen works better...What is concerning, or at least one of the concerning aspects, is that this was just a quality control fuck up that uncovered the finding. What a cluster.  

Having worked in organizations where studies had to be repeated (errors in randomization design, clinical supply fuckups, etc.), this is the first one I've seen that revealed a clinically beneficial outcome.

• Hook 'Em 1

The committee hearing repeatedly ranged into unfounded theories and scientifically dubious territory, such as when Orient speculated that COVID was largely being transmitted by fecal matter being spread through the air after toilet flushings.

“Maybe instead of putting masks on everybody, we should be putting lids on the toilet or pouring Clorox into it before you flush it,” she said.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

No idea what they are going to file on, but that is what I would think.  There is a pretty good theoretical explanation for why the half dose first shot regimen works better...

Why is that?  Why can one get "too much dosage"?  (Not arguing, just curious.)

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why is that?  Why can one get "too much dosage"?  (Not arguing, just curious.)

As I understand it, has to do with the vax technology being used here. AZ/Oxford's vaccine uses a chimpanzee adenovirus vector to deliver the genetic material coding for the spike protein. Essentially, the vaccine causes a viral infection that results in your cells to express spike protein. Your immune system seeks the spike and mounts up a response, and when you are eventually exposed to COV2 it already knows what to do. The chimp virus used as the vector isn't suppose to cause symptoms of infection, it is suppose to simply function of a delivery mechanism to get your cells to express spike. But your body still sees this vector as a foreign virus and tries to mount an immune response against the chimp virus and knock it out. So the thinking is that the lower initial dose may trigger a less robust immune response to the vector. Conversely a higher initial dose may trigger a more robust response, such that when you come back around get the second booster a few weeks later, the immune system is primed to knock out the vector before it can deliver its genetic material to your cells.

At least that is how I understand it. Frankly, the vector vaccines are creepy af. They are using a virus to prepare your body for an attack from another virus.  This is the type of shit that happens in the first 10 minutes of a zombie movie.   

• Like 1