CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Interesting that the medical industrial complex stooge thinks the FDA is in the wrong more than trump actively impeding pandemic control measures and throwing out the pandemic response playbook. Or ya know, wasting limited medical resources on procuring HCQ and other snake oil remedies without a shred of evidence of efficacy.

Both sides indeed, annie. Both sides.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Interesting that the medical industrial complex stooge thinks the FDA is in the wrong more than trump actively impeding pandemic control measures and throwing out the pandemic response playbook. Or ya know, wasting limited medical resources on procuring HCQ and other snake oil remedies without a shred of evidence of efficacy.

Both sides indeed, annie. Both sides.

LOL. Right, I have never chimed in about HCQ and the resultant waste of limited clinical trial bandwidth before. I never pointed out how wrong what Trump was doing in promoting it was.  Not like those posts are on this thread. Nor did I ever criticize the undermining of mask wearing behaviors. Nor any of the other aspects relevant from my perspective.  Unlike you I have actually read the pandemic response "playbook" and know what it contains, and what it does not.

BTW, "medical industrial complex" is terminology used by the dogmatic HCQ devotees.  You can watch Ron Johnson's senate hearing to catch it dropped a few times.

Go find a server to reboot or something. Or you can just continue whining about the medical industrial complex that is delivering an end to this pandemic. I think most of us here know who the stooge is.    

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

BTW, "medical industrial complex" is terminology used by the dogmatic HCQ devotees.  You can watch Ron Johnson's senate hearing to catch it dropped a few times.

thank you for letting me know, I don't want to get lumped in with them. I just wanted to highlight you spend a bunch of words to attack the FDA for moving slowly while navigating the minefield of politicization, while neglecting to mention trump's damage to that agency. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Or you can just continue whining about the medical industrial complex that is delivering an end to this pandemic. 

They'd fucking better have a solution to the pandemic, they've been raking in record profits and delivering shittier care than ever. I'd hope that they're doing more than just scrooge mcduck-ing into giant money pools and paying out big paydays to their shareholders

Just now, Captainant said:

thank you for letting me know, I don't want to get lumped in with them. I just wanted to highlight you spend a bunch of words to attack the FDA for moving slowly while navigating the minefield of politicization, while neglecting to mention trump's damage to that agency. 

I think that my criticism was measured and balanced, and indicated a general agreement with their approach as being prudent.

I think that it is also quite reasonable to point out that given where we are today, the FDA should be looking to expedite their process at every opportunity.  The two+ run from application to AdComm is largely wasted time given the case/death burden at the moment, imo.  

But I also understand that you are not able to fairly assess my actual words because of your lingering resentment over getting called out for your conspiracy theory nonsense, as well as you projection of understandable frustration at the medical community. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Remember when Russia said it had a vaccine and we laughed collectively about how stupid they are and how it was impossible to have a vaccine so soon? And we laughed at Trump's stupidity for saying we would have a vaccine by the end of the year or even before the election?

I do, fun times.

Remember when I had this troll on ignore for months?

I do, fun times. 

Back to ignore you go, obvious troll.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But I also understand that you are not able to fairly assess my actual words because of your lingering resentment over getting called out for your conspiracy theory nonsense, as well as you projection of understandable frustration at the medical community. 

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop lying and misrepresenting what I said about the alfabank DNS logs two years ago. I said that it alone is not proof of anything nefarious, but it is a piece of unexplained forensic evidence that indicates something nefarious could be happening - especially considering that trump and alfa changed their explanations for them multiple times. But please feel free to quote and cite what I actually posted to support your lies.

But sure, please do continue to misrepresent what I said to deflect from criticism directed at you. Very cool.

Well that was just one aspect, but if you want to go back and revisit the that one and others on the appropriate thread, I'd be happy to. In the meantime, until you are able to come up with anything of substance for discussion related to my post re: the approval timeline, please feel free to use the ignore function. 

Edited by Anastasis

That motherfucker. Yes, if you read the full story, it sounds like they took all the right precautions before going and didn't break any of the rules at the time. But it's just a terrible example of leadership and a great one of hypocrisy.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/austin-mayor-steve-adler-coronavirus-covid-19-daughter-wedding-vacation/269-d76bf9b8-54bb-4736-9b00-80fdf2953145

On another note, my 83-year-old dad caught it the weekend before Thanksgiving while my mom was staying with me here for a few days to recover after having eye surgery (lens replacement) in Austin. My mom and dad have a small group that they typically get together with for game night on Fridays. I've been lecturing them both about going, because I know they weren't wearing masks. Their excuse was always "But we know these people." Well, no shit, but you don't know who all they've been around.

At any rate, one motherfucker showed up with a cough. Of the six at the table, none were wearing a fucking mask, and every single one of them ended up testing positive. The kicker is that the motherfucker with the cough is a recently retired healthcare worker of some sort, and he's now in the hospital which gives me some twisted comfort.

I got the call from my mom a couple of days before Thanksgiving last week when she told me they'd found out my dad had been exposed. He started getting a fever on T-Day and tested positive on Friday. Mom was negative, but she's still sharing a home with him. As of Monday, my mom was still feeling fine, and they seem to be managing his (so far) mild fever with Tylenol and Advil. Sis overnighted them shitload of medical supplies and is prepared to drop everything if need be and fly down to West Texas.

I'm pissed as hell with their stupidity but realize that my sister, who's a PA up in Denver, and me down in Austin have been the only two voices of sanity in their lives during this whole thing and have been battling against the barrage of messages they hear from Fox News and all the fine conservative congregants of their goddamn Southern Baptist church.

Edit: And I'll add that they knew the virus was starting to circulate among people in their church (all of the game night attendees are members) and that the preacher's wife had already been flown to San Antonio and is in the ICU, as well as one of my mom's other friends in a hospital in Lubbock. Just fucking a fucking delusional madness fed by a constant misinformation campaign that placed doubts in their minds about the severity of this shit. Thanks for playing a role in that @GRHornand all the other imbeciles from the DT thread.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 2

53 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Adler, the LA mayor, the SF mayor CA governor. Cunts, the lot of them.

he got upgrayyed

edit: didn't read the prior page, these fuckers in california + adler are morons. 

Edited by elfenix

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

arrogant idiot.

and apparently two days before that he attended his daughters wedding and reception that had 20 people. While on the surface that is not the biggest sin in the world, Austin was under Stage 3 guidelines at the time, which suggests no gatherings of more than 10 people.

Edited by yoladu

They are too stupid to live. If there's any karmic justice, this was a super spreader event:

The President addressed guests from the White House's grand staircase. Though several people were wearing masks, many were not and some were audibly coughing

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/01/politics/donald-trump-christmas-party-second-term/index.html

40 people in New York, on Trump's orders, injected themselves with bleach months ago.  But they won't take a vaccine that's made by the same companies that make most of the pills these old fatties take on a daily basis already anyway?  

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah the Thanksgiving cases haven’t even begun to hit the system yet. 

While it's true that treatments have been refined since the virus first reached the US, this doctor has some commentary regarding hospitalizations and I think it is playing out over this month and next. It's going to be brutal. If you click on the tweet, you can follow his thread/explanation.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's possible that pre-Thanksgiving testing ramped up and partially explains the hospitalization-to-case ratio dropping.  He handwaves Thanksgiving away, but I would fully expect a lot of people started getting tested early enough to quarantine (if necessary) but still possibly travel.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's possible that pre-Thanksgiving testing ramped up and partially explains the hospitalization-to-case ratio dropping.  He handwaves Thanksgiving away, but I would fully expect a lot of people started getting tested early enough to quarantine (if necessary) but still possibly travel.

His hypothesis seems logical, and you point out a sensible alternate as well.  The analysis he lays out to test his theory though amounts to something about as sophisticated as some sketching on a cocktail napkin.

This should be pretty easy to test by comparing a basket of regions where hospital capacity is very high to other regions where it is relatively low. You could probably do it based on data in the Texas DSHS dashboard. 

43 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

While it's true that treatments have been refined since the virus first reached the US, this doctor has some commentary regarding hospitalizations and I think it is playing out over this month and next. It's going to be brutal. If you click on the tweet, you can follow his thread/explanation.

This is absolutely happening. @trauma babe babe can probably share more details than I can, but I can definitely confirm this.

The terrifying thing to me is the fact that "resources" aren't just limited to beds, PPE, ventilators, etc.  Healthcare workers might become the most scarce resource of all.  It doesn't matter how many beds are available if there aren't enough people to treat current capacity.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

4e91tq.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The terrifying thing to me is the fact that "resources" aren't just limited to beds, PPE, ventilators, etc.  Healthcare workers might become the most scarce resource of all.  It doesn't matter how many beds are available if there aren't enough people to treat current capacity.

Most of the hospitals have plans to shift staff from other areas as necessary this time around. It's not a magic bullet, but it helps. And I get the feeling there's less of a fear of Covid amongst healthcare workers, as you're not really seeing them pick it up at work despite working with patients and around other healthcare staff who had it. Every hospital in the country has probably had a nurse, tech or doctor come to work with Covid at this point, and you're not seeing them spread it internally because of masks and PPE. We have more information and are better prepared. 

It still has potential to be a shit show, and hospitals overrun with Covid would obviously suffer in quality of care in other hospital departments outside of the ER. But I they're more ready than earlier this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

what I like it the hypocrisy of Adler and others that instituted health safely orders, is the glaring hypocrisy of allowing people to die repetitively because the GOP refused to take ANY reasonable actions that might have contained this virus.  Trump never even bothered to fill any of the positions to run the nationwide contract tracing. 

The big cities were ALWAYS gonna get wiped out by the virus simply because of impossibly close living conditions.  The Midwest honestly could have been saved, except for the purposeful stupidity of Republicans.  The Stupidity that first said fuck it... it's the cities and those vote democratic.  That was the beginning of what history will look back as the biggest act of gross negligence in American history by a President.  This is NOT an exaggeration.  There was an actual fucking plan, that they inherited from the Obama Administration!!!!!  But that had to be discarded... just tossed in the trash...

And yes I give Trump credit for helping fund smaller companies like Moderna with operation warp speed, (Pfizer funded themselves) and having operation warp speed give many of the companies financial guarantees of vaccination sales to insure early production.  Early production was always going to happen, because the financial return is worth the risk, still some credit is due here.  But to ignore, simply ignore over 2000 deaths every single day of his last two months in office?   Criminal.

2 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

actually if there is one President of those 4 who can be credited for the vaccine it is George W. Bush. Read up on it.

https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/homeland/pandemic-influenza-implementation.html

The NIAID made a ton of advances in new medical countermeasures in the last 15 years, shortening the time between virus identification and countermeasure development (vaccine).

without that forethought, Operation Warp Speed, or whatever you want to call it, would not have been possible. Their was already a ton of legwork and research done that made the formula/vaccine for this specific virus relatively easy to concoct - mass production/distribution is the difficult part.