CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The one that died in our family today was old.  He also ran marathons.

My condolences on your loss. It would be nice if the DT thread would remember these are real people with families but that might require empathy which none of them have.

60 Minutes had a segment on Sunday about perfectly healthy people that weren't old nor fat, ran marathons, and were in great shape. Some could barely walk without help. Some couldn't breathe easily any longer. The doctor treating them herself had Covid earlier and says she goes home and just crashed each day because she has no more energy after a day's work and has massive headaches. It's not just fat or unhealthy people that are suffering in this pandemic. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The one that died in our family today was old.  He also ran marathons.

Sorry to hear that man.  Hope he went in relative peace if that was at all possible.  Not my place to tell you what to do and not sure what part of Texas you are in...but if you can...go for a walk or jog at dawn tomorrow.  Walk/run towards it, that's what he did every morning to train for marathons.  Have a few minutes of silence and think of him.  the noise of the idiots will be there when you get back from a moment of solace.  

In the same vein as the question about how to talk to trumpkins, how does one talk to Covid deniers?  I was asked this by someone dealing with one today, and I honestly have no idea. I believe this person has convinced themselves that Covid is all a government power grab. I wouldn’t even know where to start. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

In the same vein as the question about how to talk to trumpkins, how does one talk to Covid deniers?  I was asked this by someone dealing with one today, and I honestly have no idea. I believe this person has convinced themselves that Covid is all a government power grab. I wouldn’t even know where to start. 

We have a second corpse in the family and the Trumpkins are having a hard time with it.  I’m just letting them stew in their own juices for now.  Once we get a little distance from the latest death I might start....., who the fuck am I kidding, I have nothing.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The continued push for HCQ just boggles the mind.  Either there is a giant conspiracy at play, or people are just plain stupid.

Both. Smart people sharing a secret for a nefarious purpose? Smart conspiracy. Dumb people sharing denial of the same aspects of reality? Dumb conspiracy. Same / same.

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The continued push for HCQ just boggles the mind.  Either there is a giant conspiracy at play, or people are just plain stupid.

Nobody is really pushing it anymore outside the hollows of the social media brain trust. At this point we are just flushing down the remnants of the well intentioned trials that need to go through the pub process. 

Well that, and the delusional quacks that cannot let go. 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, Neonmoon said:

Is it useful to wear a mask?

Let me explain:

If you walk around nude, and someone pees on you, you'll get wet.

If you wear pants, and someone pees on you, you're partially protected.

If the guy peeing also wears pants, he pees in his pants, and you don't get wet.

Now...do you understand the principle?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I was speaking to my trumpkin mother on the phone today, and we got on the subject of covid. I mentioned the death of an acquaintance of mine due to covid, and she asked what "other conditions" he had.

Is this the new thing? Its not the covid that killing people, its the "other conditions"?

It's not really new. it's been a thing for awhile. In our community that was the go to whenever there was a fatality. The County wasn't releasing much detail especially as our counts were low, our population is not large, and thus it might be a case of being able to identify individuals. Some people couldn't handle that. They just HAD to know every little detail and were hounding the media to 'get to the bottom of this,' (lack of detail) and it seemed (to me) to be an effort to self-comfort and soothe their own mental frailties. I felt for the grieving families of the afflicted as it was turning into a (again, to me) circus of victim blaming (they were going to die anyway) among other things. It does reveal our own self-interest a little with respect to this pandemic: 'well, I don't have X, therefore I'm not at risk and therefore I can do as I please and sucks to your family and your ass-mar.'

My response, when this has come up, and it has come up with various Trump people that I am around, has been to point out that they choose and chose to live in a community and not be a hermit. Therefore, when in public spaces and when living in a community one must be cognizant and aware of one's behavior and actions with respect to the community. Free to be belongs in your home, but leaving the house without pants is something that most communities have said isn't allowed. Muh freedom pandemic behavior is subjecting all of us to your pants-less freedom and the view is making us ill. It took awhile for folks to come to various agreements regarding secondhand smoke guidelines, but I wonder how people would feel if folks started lighting up on airplanes again and without 'smoking' sections? Does the pollution have to be visible before people can comprehend it?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I was speaking to my trumpkin mother on the phone today, and we got on the subject of covid. I mentioned the death of an acquaintance of mine due to covid, and she asked what "other conditions" he had.

Is this the new thing? Its not the covid that killing people, its the "other conditions"?

No, see, "other conditions" makes the act/issue we are wasting our time concerned about irrelevant.  For example, I have one of those cool mini souvenir baseball bats.  I think it's SUPER fun to whack my friends over the head with it.  Makes a real satisfying "thwack!" when I do.  They're fine.  I mean, they get PISSED, but they're fine.

But then, I decided to try it on the babies in the NICU, because I'm a jokester, and I know the folks in the NICU can use a laugh.  Hit a dozen of them on the skull with the same force, and they all died.  Those losers had the "pre-existing condition" of an unfused, incomplete skull.  But remember, I didn't kill them by hitting them with a bat -- the pre-existing condition did.  So, no worries.

Do you fuckbrains see how fucking stupid that fucking sounds?  Some people are more vulnerable to certain illnesses or traumas than others.  A guy on crutches is more vulnerable to being hit by a car that jumps the sidewalk than a guy with two healthy legs -- but the cause of death is still "hit by a fucking car that jumped the sidewalk," not "being slow because he was on crutches."

And, for the eleventy billionth time, death is not the exclusive measure of negative outcomes for this illness.  If we were ONLY tracking people who are being debilitated for long periods of time, some perhaps for life, it would be a pretty horrific illness altogether.  I mean, after all, Polio didn't kill everyone -- a lot of people, it only crippled, but I guess we don't count that as a negative outcome, because they didn't die.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

The misinformation is mind-blowing. 

"If you die in a car crash and you have covid, they count you as a covid death."   Uh, no they don't.

"Covid is an exosome, and thus is utterly harmless."  Uh, no it's not, and no it's not.

"The fatality rate is so low, almost everyone recovers."  Well, if 60% of Americans get it, and 0.5% die, that's a million deaths.  We good?

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/11/stimulus-update-biden-seeks-deal-in-lame-duck-session.html

What are your thoughts on the potential compromise on the covid stimulus bill?

It's extremely clear that a significant number of people need help as we look towards having a vaccine come through.

Personally, I believe Pelosi/Schumer have to hold out and get some stimulus for state and local governments. From a purely economic perspective, these are significant employers which have revenue losses due to the virus. Without stimulus, these governments will likely be required to reduce employment. The House and Senate Democrats need to make this about keeping police and firefighters employed.

Will Mitch budge or is everyone playing chicken until the Georgia senate elections?

20 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/11/stimulus-update-biden-seeks-deal-in-lame-duck-session.html

What are your thoughts on the potential compromise on the covid stimulus bill?

It's extremely clear that a significant number of people need help as we look towards having a vaccine come through.

Personally, I believe Pelosi/Schumer have to hold out and get some stimulus for state and local governments. From a purely economic perspective, these are significant employers which have revenue losses due to the virus. Without stimulus, these governments will likely be required to reduce employment. The House and Senate Democrats need to make this about keeping police and firefighters employed.

Will Mitch budge or is everyone playing chicken until the Georgia senate elections?

Any deal should include state and local funding and exclude the GOP's bullshit attempt to give employers liability protection.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Hancock is and always has been a tool of real estate developers. Fuck him and his prostitutes (literally). 

http://www.westword.com/news/anonymous-to-michael-hancock-resign-or-well-expose-your-tie-to-prostitution-ring-7894463

The video released by Anonymous on Hancock:

Edited by washparkhorn

Yeah, could they maybe get on with bringing down Qanon or exposing Trump's real connections with Russia or HGH usage at the Big Banks or something useful.  

I wouldn't want them on my ass, but I'm getting the sense the whole group just sorta sits around binge-watching "Mr. Robot" and scheming. 

On 11/24/2020 at 6:33 PM, Bama Chick said:

Jesus

88,000 hospitalized.  that ain't fucking cheap.  economy is about 56.3 billion a day.  we're spending what, a billion a day on hospitalization for covid?  that's nearly 2% of GDP just on covid hospitalizations. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1