CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

They need to get their ass in gear with the EUAs...dec 17 fda meeting for moderna. From that article. 

Moderna is also claiming that the Phase 3 data shows the vaccine was highly effective at preventing more severe cases of COVID-19. According to the press release, 30 out of the 196 volunteers developed severe illness, but all 30 were among the group of volunteers who got the placebo shot. This shows the vaccine demonstrated 100% efficacy at preventing severe COVID-19, according to the company.

According to Benkeser, this isn't enough data to prove Moderna's vaccine will prevent severe illness in every single person who receives it, "however, it is common for vaccines to be more effective against severe disease than mild disease," he said.

"The idea is that though a vaccine might not fully protect you against infection, it can make the subsequent illness less severe," he added. "Therefore, it really is quite plausible that the short-term efficacy against severe disease is indeed close to 100%."

Edited by Anastasis

Weekly update as to the scale of COVID deaths in the US. We're at 265K+ deaths in the US today. That's equivalent to the entire population of Jersey City NJ, St Petersburg FL, or Laredo TX. We're getting into seriously bigger cities as we move up the list. It's also damn near half of the entire state population of Wyoming. 

Can anyone who pays attention to the broad collection of studies out there comment on this article in Nature?  Maybe it's been discussed, I don't recall.  In essence they tested 10M residents of Wuhan following their 1/23 - 4/8 lockdown, and over a two week test cycle (5/14 - 6/1), no symptomatic cases were observed and 300 asymptomatic cases were revealed.  Tracing from those asymptomatic cases show no spread to 1,174 close contacts.  

This is being used as "evidence" by Q types to "prove" that there is no such thing as asymptomatic covid transmission.  The first thing that comes to mind is this:  how many of those 300 cases could be false positives?  It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to me that 300 tests out of 10M tests could return a false positive.

Has this study been debunked?  Is it legit?  Are there any reasonable conclusions that can be drawn from it?

Nature

Edited by jimmyjazz

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Weekly update as to the scale of COVID deaths in the US. We're at 265K+ deaths in the US today. That's equivalent to the entire population of Jersey City NJ, St Petersburg FL, or Laredo TX. We're getting into seriously bigger cities as we move up the list. It's also damn near half of the entire state population of Wyoming. 

On CBS News on Saturday morning they reported a stat that 15 Americans are dying every hour from Covid-19. 

Did those 300 people wear masks?

Did their “close contacts” wear a mask?

Did the positive cases and their “close contacts” stay socially distanced?

I couldn’t find those answers in the linked article but they seem pretty important.

The study defines “close contact” as -

5b82c4f01ae9895582fcee1a3dceb047.jpg

And it had this to say in regards to false positives -

ec0f2f26b21cb1107e54397633bb81df.jpg
da94094900526c97995684065d13eda0.jpg

All that study tells me is that an actual, effective lockdown works. And if those people have since been taking recommended precautions (masks, social distancing, etc.) then those precautions work too.

I may be missing something but I don’t think that study supports the conspiracy theory conclusion.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And it had this to say in regards to false positives -

All that study tells me is that an actual, effective lockdown works. And if those people have since been taking recommended precautions (masks, social distancing, etc.) then those precautions work too.

I may be missing something but I don’t think that study supports the conspiracy theory conclusion.

Thanks, I didn't dig deep on the false positives. 

I agree that the real gist of the paper, if it's legit, is that the lockdown was effective.  I don't see any evidence that it's saying anything about asymptomatic spread, given that we don't know if those people were still behaving in a safe manner.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not wired to give Trump credit, and I think he launched Warp Speed too late, but I will happily admit that the process went remarkably well.  Now let's see it over the goal line.

You don't have to give Trump credit because he didn't fucking do anything. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You don't have to give Trump credit because he didn't fucking do anything. 

I think it's fine to give Trump credit for it while still understanding that it's table stakes and any other president would have done the same thing. It's not worth throwing him a parade for, but it's okay to admit that Trump did the correct (while obvious) thing. Sorta like Obama taking out Bin Laden.

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I think it's fine to give Trump credit for it while still understanding that it's table stakes and any other president would have done the same thing. It's not worth throwing him a parade for, but it's okay to admit that Trump did the correct (while obvious) thing. Sorta like Obama taking out Bin Laden.

Except that Bush had almost 8 years to kill Bin Laden and didn’t.

To say that Trump did something extraordinary here is ridiculous.  Any president would have dumped a bunch of money into Big Pharma and told them to be quick about it.  Dolly Parton did more than Trump did.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

To say that Trump did something extraordinary here is ridiculous.  Any president would have dumped a bunch of money into Big Pharma and told them to be quick about it.  Dolly Parton did more than Trump did.
I mean I think I stated pretty explicitly that it wasn't something extraordinary he did.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And, to be fair, her hair is more authentic than his, too.  And giant boobs -- she has them, he is one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

.....to be replaced by someone who to date is only known by a Twitter handle with the letter Q, some random numbers, and lots of exclamation points.  You know that's next.

Joe Biden will be President in 51 days 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Joe Biden will be President in 51 days 

Tell you what.  Give me the keys to your house for 51 days, so I have free rein to fuck it up beyond all recognition, because I'm a narcissist psychopath, and I lash out insanely at anyone who didn't treat me like the god that I am.  Think that sounds good?  Yeah, it does not.

53 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

To say that Trump did something extraordinary here is ridiculous. 

Who said he did something extraordinary?  I am simply giving him the same amount of credit I give my 16 YO for not shitting his pants.  In context, against Trump's typical behavior, that's not insignificant, as Trump shits his pants on a daily basis.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Good news

Don't both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require 2 doses?  Maybe that's just an imprecise quote, but then again, maybe he's factoring in the fact that <50% of the population are going to want to be vaccinated right away - ya know, cuz 'Murica ...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Trump lied about covid from the beginning, made fun of people for wearing masks, didn't wear one himself and got covid, held super spreader events around the country, told people to maybe inject bleach,  publicly fought with the experts and called Fauci an idiot, and refused to attend covid meetings for the last six months. The idea of giving him any credit for anything is absurd. 

This man is right.  Everyone else before him is fucking wrong.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Great news! 

Now that's how you make America great. When the going gets tough, the very problem you were hired to manage accelerating on a near elevator incline, quit almost 2 months before your responsibility has at your country's most crucial moment. 

Piece of goddamn fucking shit like every other piece of shit in this administration.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Now that's how you make America great. When the going gets tough, the very problem you were hired to manage accelerating on a near elevator incline, quit almost 2 months before your responsibility has at your country's most crucial moment. 

Piece of goddamn fucking shit like every other piece of shit in this administration.

I believe that type of exit is called pulling a Tuberville. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Trump lied about covid from the beginning, made fun of people for wearing masks, didn't wear one himself and got covid, held super spreader events around the country, told people to maybe inject bleach,  publicly fought with the experts and called Fauci an idiot, and refused to attend covid meetings for the last six months. The idea of giving him any credit for anything is absurd. 

Well, give him credit for this... without the exceptional leadership you mention, we probably wouldn't need the vaccine as urgently as we currently do.

So there's that then.

I was in the NE for 10 days during Jan/Feb.  Came back and had strep, which I’ve never had my entire life.  (Wife never caught strep.). I’ve thought I might have developed strep due to weakened immune system from covid.  Timeline never matched up but wilt that WSJ story, it does.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Part of being a credible person or a credible source of information is being able to objectively give credit where it's due. Trump (or probably his team) put forth operation Warp Speed. Every other president in history and just about any 100+ IQ person would have done the same. It's not a big accomplishment. It's not exceptional. It's table stakes. Still, it's a sign of objectivity and sanity to be able to say "He's still the worst president in over a century, but okay, sure, he did that one thing right". 

Part of the reason for the division in the country is the inability for either side, or the media for that matter, to give any sort of credit where due. It's forced the media into a boy-who-cried-wolf corner and it's a large part of the bunker mentality everyone has. 

It's okay to say that Trump, an awful human being and president, managed to stumble into doing one thing right. If the tables were turned and it was a Democratic president doing it and guys like GRHorn or Enchubben were saying "he deserves no credit for Warp Speed", this entire board would be losing its collective mind.

I fully expect to get attacked for this and shrieked at like I'm some sort of Trump supporter, which is both fine and dumb as fuck. Carry on.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Shit. Maybe I did have it in early February. 

Interesting.  I was really, really sick last December, after a 4 day trip to Chicago.  It started w/ a dry, hacking cough like I'd never had, my temp ran up to 103.  Went to a clinic and they prescribed Tamiflu and some anti-biotics. I didn't lost my sense of taste but nothing tasted right; really didn't want to eat.  I ran a fever for 4 or so days, rarely left bed; was just flattened. And then I felt weak for a solid month after but I never really considered it covid b/c it was December.  

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Part of being a credible person or a credible source of information is being able to objectively give credit where it's due. Trump (or probably his team) put forth operation Warp Speed. Every other president in history and just about any 100+ IQ person would have done the same. It's not a big accomplishment. It's not exceptional. It's table stakes. Still, it's a sign of objectivity and sanity to be able to say "He's still the worst president in over a century, but okay, sure, he did that one thing right". 

Part of the reason for the division in the country is the inability for either side, or the media for that matter, to give any sort of credit where due. It's forced the media into a boy-who-cried-wolf corner and it's a large part of the bunker mentality everyone has. 

It's okay to say that Trump, an awful human being and president, managed to stumble into doing one thing right. If the tables were turned and it was a Democratic president doing it and guys like GRHorn or Enchubben were saying "he deserves no credit for Warp Speed", this entire board would be losing its collective mind.

I fully expect to get attacked for this and shrieked at like I'm some sort of Trump supporter, which is both fine and dumb as fuck. Carry on.

Sure, I'll give him and his administration credit. This operation was clearly staffed with competent people. That is saying something.

Which makes it all the more mind bottling why he didn't spill the beans before the election and brag about The Best Vaccines! at all his rallies and to anyone on cable news who would listen. It's like he chose this issue as his one and only one to shut the fuck up about, and now he's out of a job.

Instead he categorically downplayed the pandemic AND the response, both good and bad, and even went and got his stupid ass sick. I mean, God damn... His skepticism of science really isn't an act.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Y'all should get tested for antibodies. 

Aren't those tests still pretty unreliable? I've thought about doing it, I've got at least a tiny bit of reason to believe I may have had it. But not going to waste the time if they're not trustworthy results.

1 minute ago, berlinerbaer said:

Sure, I'll give him and his administration credit. This operation was clearly staffed with competent people. That is saying something.

Which makes it all the more mind bottling why he didn't spill the beans before the election and brag about The Best Vaccines! at all his rallies and to anyone on cable news who would listen. It's like he chose this issue as his one and only one to shut the fuck up about, and now he's out of a job.

Instead he categorically downplayed the pandemic AND the response, both good and bad, and even went and got his stupid ass sick. I mean, God damn... His skepticism of science really isn't an act.

For sure. His handling of Covid was one of the biggest blunders by any politician ever. He's a fucking idiot. If he just half-ass pretended to be a competent person that isn't a sociopath, he'd have easily won re-election.

I'm torn between being thankful that he's an absolute idiot that cost himself re-election and feeling sad that it cost so many lives.

23 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I was in the NE for 10 days during Jan/Feb.  Came back and had strep, which I’ve never had my entire life.  (Wife never caught strep.). I’ve thought I might have developed strep due to weakened immune system from covid.  Timeline never matched up but wilt that WSJ story, it does.

Wut? I’m no doc but I’ve never heard of anything saying COVID would weaken your immune response to another virus. Sounds like you got strep. Just like the other people I’m hearing from all over that were sick in nov-dec saying it was COVID. Possible, but very very doubtful.  Really fucking unlikely. If it was spreading here in late 2019 we would have picked it up.

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Aren't those tests still pretty unreliable? I've thought about doing it, I've got at least a tiny bit of reason to believe I may have had it. But not going to waste the time if they're not trustworthy results.

Yes far as I know they aren’t real reliable. I mean I was sick as shit over Xmas, couldn’t taste a thing. Since then, I’ve had my normal bad allergies about once a month. If I go take an antibody test it won’t tell me when I had it. I could have had it and been asymptotic. Who the fuck knows.

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Y'all should get tested for antibodies. 

Yeah, I've been leaning this way for a while now.  We did the "family virus" in February and although it was different for all 6 of us, there were a ton of common symptoms with covid.  I had a dry cough for a month and fatigue.  I've brushed it off as some kind of rhinovirus or similar, but I still wonder.

An antibody test might provide some peace of mind going forward.