CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall discussion about the storage requirement being so cold that many hospitals and even universities don't have the equipment, or have only very small volume of storage that cold

iirc pfizer has been buying up the infrastructure needed to deploy its vaccine.  so if they say they can start distributing/administering tomorrow, they're probably doing it using their infrastructure.  and, as mentioned, this is should be going to hospitals and clinics first, so the distribution is very narrow right now. 

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

WTF did the protests against her business reopening have to do with Black Lives Matter?  What's that?  Nothing?  She just wants to blow that racist dog whistle?  Ok then.

She is a pandering grifter to her core and fell right into this era of dipshittery.

She took a ton of money from magats on gofundme whining about not being able to feed her kids and so on, and kept taking it after she reopened. She was very well off to begin with and just running that scam.

despite literally everything saying don't go anywhere for thanksgiving, my parents have asked me to come to their house for thanksgiving (i think my sister, a teacher, will not be going).  meanwhile, up in c-bus, a cousin is getting married friday or saturday after thanksgiving in a ceremony delayed from june (i think they actually got hitched back then but not sure).  wasn't  planning on going but my grandfather might be in his last moments in the same city and so now i'm looking at driving up the week after thanksgiving .  normally i'd have visited in the summer and the fall but fucking covid and the MUH RAIGHTS crowd have fucked everything.  might have a wedding and a funeral.  fuck.

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Thoughts?

There are some perverse incentives built into that model.  I suppose if we planted a tag in the vaccine we would know who received the vaccine - the mark of the . . . Lord have mercy.

Stimulus needs to be separate from the vaccine. I like the idea of getting stimulus out there as the economy starts slowing again. His mind is in the right place.

Maybe a bonus payment - for saving the health care system a lot of $$$ and wear and tear on providers - for those who get the vaccine? From a budgeting standpoint - that would be 100% justifiable with the numbers plugged in (per capita spending for covid treatment with and without (expected) results of mass vaccination). The data should be there. From a macro level, fewer illnesses = increased GDP and pent up demand unleashed. If we get stimulus rolling, we may be able to slow-the-slowing of the economy, so when health returns - we have a running start. 

Delivery needs to be smooth as silk. 

Edited by washparkhorn

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

A freaking nurse I know - she works in a private practice, not our hospital, thank goodness - just posted this balderdash.

5d0a1d58a176f1b8a4283ab8f195be98.jpg

Ridamndiculous.

Tragically, there are some Austin ICU nurses who have similar beliefs, but from a secular viewpoint. 

Relax everyone. Nebraska has this covered. We aren’t going to declare a mask mandate. We aren’t going to cancel in person school or pull back on bar/restaurant capacity. But we are going to light up the Capitol in blue, in honor of the medical staff. That should give them comfort as we don’t give a fuck about them inevitably getting overrun.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Many in the CrayChrisCult will not take the vaccine, a/k/a Mark of the Beast:

image.thumb.png.62996dc359e6dff28e4301530f284152.png

Uhhh . . . 3+15+18+15+14+1 = 66, not 666

Curiosity got the better of me, so I went to the website.  Here's their "math":

6 Letters (Corona) + 66 = 666

Gotta go with each letter = 100 units to make that work, boys.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Relax everyone. Nebraska has this covered. We aren’t going to declare a mask mandate. We aren’t going to cancel in person school or pull back on bar/restaurant capacity. But we are going to light up the Capitol in blue, in honor of the medical staff. That should give them comfort as we don’t give a fuck about them inevitably getting overrun.

Man that’s rough. My husband was watching the game today (ouch) and he doesn’t seem inclined to go back any time soon....

Another update regarding the scale of thee virus in the US. I post this every week or so because it reminds me of what these numbers mean in more practical terms. 

As of today, the virus has killed more people than the populations of Winston-Salem NC, Reno NV, or Buffalo NY. if you've ever been to any of those cities, imagine them completely devoid of their entire populations. If the current trend holds, we'll have wiped out Scottsdale AZ, Lubbock TX, Madison WI, or Jersey City NJ by Thanksgiving. 

Unforgivable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It has killed 1 in 1,000 people in ND, after infecting only around 10%. Do the simple math. Left unchecked, it will kill 1 in 100.

Apply that nationwide, 3.5 million dead.

The vaccine will kick in before we get there, but at the current rate, 500k dead in the US before the pandemic is declared over seems about right.

500,000+ infections from Thanksgiving activities expected. Hospital bed counts appears to be the breaking point in the system at the moment. 

We are back to flattening the curve, which we did quite well as a nation.after watch the virus decimate the Northeast and Italy. This is different and more widespread than the Northeast breakout. It's worse and is hitting where the infrastructure (red states) is fragile. This virus is not going to magically go away. Leadership from Washington is neutered by the President's deeds and words. We have an immediate need for a safe vaccine in the present situation, but . . . in the meantime . . . those who love the nation and the people will do their duty as a citizen and mitigate (masks, distancing, limited grouping - outdoors only. We need to flatten the Thanksgiving bulge that will explode around Christmas.

A stitch in time saves nine. We mitigate. To do otherwise is un-American and treacherous to the nation.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

500,000+ infections from Thanksgiving activities expected. Hospital bed counts appears to be the breaking point in the system at the moment. 

We are back to flattening the curve, which we did quite well as a nation.after seeing the virus decimate the Northeast. It is not going to magically go away. We have an immediate need for a safe vaccine. 

Is this the Halloween surge?

I don’t think Halloween is the culprit. It’s a culmination of so many events. Large sporting events, Halloween, Election Rallies, Election Winner Celebrations, bars opening, colder weather, continued don’t give a fuck attitude for a large portion of this country. It all contributed. 

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think Halloween is the culprit. It’s a culmination of so many events. Large sporting events, Halloween, Election Rallies, Election Winner Celebrations, bars opening, colder weather, continued don’t give a fuck attitude for a large portion of this country. It all contributed. 

That makes sense. Too many large super spreader events in that time period.  It certainly changes the feel of Thanksgiving. But Covid makes every holiday feel different. The psych effects must be innumerable.