CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

FDA sets advisory committee meeting dates for vax review on 12/8,9,10. Approval should come within days after. 

I assume both Pfizer and Moderna will submit for EUA before this so both could be approved at the same time?  That would be great.

26 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I assume both Pfizer and Moderna will submit for EUA before this so both could be approved at the same time?  That would be great.

I’ve been wondering if two vaccines is any better than one? It seems like the bottleneck  at this point is production capacity, and that doesn’t change regardless of the number of vaccines.

I’ve been wondering if two vaccines is any better than one? It seems like the bottleneck  at this point is production capacity, and that doesn’t change regardless of the number of vaccines.
Since Modena's doesn't need to be kept frozen up until shortly before use put that one into the regular distribution chain and then use Pfizer's at hospitals and mass vaccination events where the keeping frozen burden would be a more manageable hurdle.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Americans have no empathy in the tank. And really never had any to begin with. (70+ million people tried to re-elect Trump)

They tried April, but when it was painfully obvious that it wasn’t going to be solved in 2 weeks we gave up.

Because in America, if you can’t dine in at a TGI Fridays then what’s the point of living anyway.

We’re an easily scared, soft, arrogant, lazy, and stubborn society living off the fumes of previous generations who really sacrificed....

Most of these people are close to death in our minds, and we’ve already tossed most of them in society’s waste paper basket for olds anyway.

Old people remind us of our own mortality.

Without olds, we can pretend we’ll be young forever.

I think with another stimulus package, Americans could be bothered to show some empathy. You can't shut communities down in one form or another from March through the end of the year and only provide the absolute minimum financial assistance and expect people to handle it with grace. Unfortunately we still have minority rule in the Senate, so guess we will watch the death toll rise and smile like a possum eating shit 

Gov. Gavin Newsom apologized Monday for visiting a Napa Valley restaurant with people from other households, saying his behavior contradicted the spirit of the safety guidelines and precautions he has asked Californians to adhere to during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I want to apologize to you because I need to preach and practice, not just preach and not practice, and I've done my best to do that," Newsom said. "We're all human. We all fall short sometimes."

Newsom acknowledged that the faux pas may result in a loss of his moral authority on the coronavirus as California experiences a major surge in cases. The governor discussed his own behavior on the same day that he announced a reversal of his reopening plans and ordered 28 counties to return to the purple tier — 94% of Californians will be under the state's most restrictive guidelines as of Tuesday.

The governor has been criticized in recent days following news of his attendance at the dinner party and that his children are back in school while millions of California schoolchildren and their families juggle distance learning with full-time jobs.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, the governor's most prominent GOP critic who has been urged by some in his party to challenge Newsom in 2022, condemed the governor in a Tweet last week, suggesting that he has been living a different life during the pandemic than his constituents.

"His kids can learn in person. But yours can't," Faulconer wrote. "He can celebrate birthday parties. But you can't. He can dine on a $350 meal at one of California's fanciest restaurants during the worst recession in generations. But you definitely can't. Can you believe this? I can't."

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Rage+1 1

California lawmakers take trip to Hawaii amid COVID surge, travel advisory

COVID-19 has squashed most holiday and vacation plans this year amid travel restrictions and quarantine recommendations to slow the spread of the virus.

Yet some California lawmakers have traveled to Maui this week for the California Independent Voter Project’s annual policy conference.

A San Diego-based group that works to empower “nonpartisan voters and promote nonpartisan election reform through initiatives,” the project’s summit has historically offered a chance for lawmakers, lobbyists and industry representatives to rub elbows over cocktails while discussing policy under the Hawaiian sun.

Amid a surge in new coronavirus cases that’s skyrocketed California’s positivity rate to 5% over seven days, the state on Monday issued another firm warning against non-essential and out-of-state traveling.

The Department of Public Health has also recommended anyone traveling into California from another part of the country or internationally to quarantine for two weeks. Hawaii requires travelers to either isolate for 14 days upon entrance into the state, or prove they’ve had a negative COVID-19 test result within the last 72 hours.

Amid a surge in new coronavirus cases that’s skyrocketed California’s positivity rate to 5% over seven days, the state on Monday issued another firm warning against non-essential and out-of-state traveling.

Dan Howle, chairman and executive director for the Independent Voter Project, said about 50 participants are in Hawaii this week, a third of its normal size, including fewer than 20 legislators from multiple states. Howle declined to say how many California lawmakers are in attendance, but said both Democrats and Republicans are participating in the four-day conference that started Monday.

Howle said the organization has been working for months with the hotel, which hosts the summit each year, to make sure the event was as safe as possible and in accordance with Hawaii’s stringent COVID-19 guidelines. Attendees are wearing masks, adhering to food and drink regulations and physically distancing from others.

A worker for Fairmont Kea Lani, the southwest coast resort with rates into the hundreds of dollars that’s hosting the summit, confirmed that participants had to show proof of a negative test result before they attended any events or wandered through the hotel. Anyone who did not have the test results available yet was required to quarantine.

According to the resort’s website, all guests are required to wear face coverings while in public spaces and asked to maintain social distancing. Temperature checks “may also be required.”

“Nobody has been walking around without masks. They’re not complaining about it,” Howle said. “Of course, they’re in Maui.”

Participants are also being encouraged, Howle said, to quarantine when they return back home, and to get tested for COVID-19 five days later.

“If it does not come back negative, notify us so we can notify the hotel, the airlines and everyone in that stream,” he said.

The Hawaii trip follows on the heels of backlash over Gov. Gavin Newsom attending a friend and political adviser’s 50th birthday party at a Napa County restaurant called French Laundry, known for its expensive meals.

Newsom apologized following the San Francisco Chronicle’s report of the Nov. 6 party, and reiterated his regret Monday during a press conference.

“I made a bad mistake,” Newsom said. “The spirit of what I’m preaching all the time was contradictory, and I’ve got to own that, so I’m going to apologize to you.”

Faced with questions on the public policy benefit of a trip to Hawaii for a four-day event amid the nation’s worst COVID-19 surge, Howle also said participants are learning about how to reopen the economy safely, especially within the hotel and services sector.

“There’s a lot of different ideas about how we can get people’s businesses (open), about starting the process of bringing people back to some semblance of normal,” Howle said. “And because we have this long relationship with the hotel we agreed, let’s give this a try.”

That sort of thinking is what begets a Donald Trump.
Yes, it is I that is the problem, not politicians doing things like locking society down then going to big gatherings and parties, this ruining their own credibility and sowing distrust.

Let's definitely shift accountability from hypocritical politicians to those expressing displeasure at their hypocrisy. That's a winner.

Just now, BradInATX said:

Then they should stop being bad

And more people should understand the concept of degree.

You can hire one of two "bad" people, convicted of crimes, to watch your kids: Joe Blow, who has two speeding tickets, or John Wayne Gacy.  I mean, they're ALL "bad," the are ALL "criminals," so what's the difference?

Fucking stop it.  I give Gavin no pass here, but come the fuck on.  Degree matters.  By the way, I'd hire Joe Blow, because I'm not a fucking moron. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And more people should understand the concept of degree.
You can hire one of two "bad" people, convicted of crimes, to watch your kids: Joe Blow, who has two speeding tickets, or John Wayne Gacy.  I mean, they're ALL "bad," the are ALL "criminals," so what's the difference?
Fucking stop it.  I give Gavin no pass here, but come the fuck on.  Degree matters.  By the way, I'd hire Joe Blow, because I'm not a fucking moron. 
Imagine you're a business owner in California who is about to lose their livelihood that they've spent their life building over restrictions that you're being told are absolutely necessary and critical. Meanwhile the biggest pusher of said restrictions is out partying drinking fucking wine with his buddies. That's terrible. As bad as it gets. There are no degrees. Guillotines.

People being sick of hypocritical shitbags in politics isn't the problem. The problem is people who excuse the behavior because they have an R or D next to their name.

Why would they change when they have apologists ready to white knight them? Pathetic.

Just now, BradInATX said:

Imagine you're a business owner in California who is about to lose their livelihood that they've spent their life building over restrictions that you're being told are absolutely necessary and critical. Meanwhile the biggest pusher of said restrictions is out partying drinking fucking wine with his buddies. That's terrible. As bad as it gets. There are no degrees. Guillotines.

People being sick of hypocritical shitbags in politics isn't the problem. The problem is people who excuse the behavior because they have an R or D next to their name.

Why would they change when they have apologists ready to white knight them? Pathetic.

Not only am I not white knighting for Newsome, I immediately responded with pointed criticism.

There is no excusing his behavior.  But the fact that Americans don't get the fucking concept of degree tells me that critical thinking is a dead letter, and we are utterly fucked for the foreseeable future.  Because we'll hire John Wayne Gacy to watch our kids because hey, he can dress up as a clown, not everyone does that!

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Why are you defending your stupid statement so vehemently? "All politicians are scum. Guillotines for all of them."

The majority? I can believe that. All of them? 100% stupid statement. 

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Why are you defending your stupid statement so vehemently? "All politicians are scum. Guillotines for all of them."

Plus the idea that guillotines are even a possibility.  I'll be jumping for joy if they are even brought to court, let alone convicted of anything.

• Like 1

Slight aside: I've had a similar conversation with my 20-something daughter about ACAB. I know that acronym is great for spray painting and all where nuance isn't possible, but it's untrue and unhelpful. Why would a good person choose to be a cop, or politician, if your decency and actions are carelessly lumped in with bad actors? I'd tolerate Most Cops Are Bastards much better. Absolute statements should always give you pause.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/covid-truthers-try-to-invade-utah-valley-hospital-where-patrice-grossman-died?ref=home?ref=home

A big red heart fashioned with five dozen Post-its was in one of the windows of the intensive care unit at Utah Valley Hospital when the conspiracy theorists pulled into a parking lot that they found to be suspiciously empty.

The heart was placed there by nurses to mark the room where one of their own died on Oct. 30. Neonatal intensive care nurse Patrice Grossman, who was born at the same hospital where she worked, had predicted when COVID-19 first arrived in America that she would be among the fatalities. She and seven other family members, beginning with her baby grandson, contracted it at home from out-of-state house guests who believed the virus is no big deal.

That belief is shared by the conspiracy theorists who made repeated visits to the hospital in recent weeks. They decided that the small number of cars outside the Provo facility was evidence that the pandemic is a hoax. They entered the hospital with video cameras seeking to film what they believed would be an equally empty ICU.

“It’s conspiracy theorists that believe what they’re being told is not accurate,” hospital administrator Kyle Hansen told the Provo city council last week. “They’re determined to videotape and capture the proof of that by accessing our facilities. We’ve had some people get really creative in how they’ve lied about coming in for an appointment or other things.”

None of the intruders seem to have gained entry to the ICU. But had they succeeded, they would have only been able to document it was in fact at full capacity, with a brave and dedicated staff under great physical and emotional strain. Had the intruders been less deluded they might have understood that the small number cars in the parking lot is explained by posted restrictions on visitors that are standard at hospitals during the pandemic. COVID-19 is not some minor illness where you might drive yourself to the hospital and leave your car outside for a few hours.

Spoiler

But a delusion begun by President Trump out of political self-interest when he in fact knew better persisted despite his defeat on Nov. 3. And so the intruders kept on attempting to enter Utah Valley despite being warned away by cops. A dispiriting number of deniers also telephoned the hospital.

“We have an inordinate amount of phone calls that we’re receiving every day from the community wanting to know: ‘Is your ICU really full?’” Hansen told the council.

Meanwhile, reality took the form of the red heart of Post-its in the ICU window. Patrice Grossman’s husband summed up with a single simple sentence his view of the conspiracy theorists who fail to see that the empty parking lot is in fact proof that the hospital is inundated with COVID-19 patients.

“They’re idiots,” Bryan Grossman told The Daily Beast on Tuesday, adding, “The hospital is filled with COVID people. COVID patients who don’t have cars… I just don’t understand people sometimes.”

He also said, “The big thing I think is so silly about all this is how could this possibly be fake? The whole world would have to be faking it.”

One explanation that comes to him is that the deniers are trying to protect the person who got the delusion going in the first place.

“They’re trying to protect the president,” he said. “They want to make this all fake. It’s not fake. Talk to your nearest nurse or doctor. They’ll tell you this is real.”

Grossman recalled that his wife had immediately recognized COVID-19 as a deadly threat when it arrived in America at the start of the year.

“My wife predicted she was going to die from this when it first popped up,” he said.

The family took the recommended precautions. But among the deniers were people they know who live in Arizona and wanted to visit.

“They didn’t think COVID was such a big deal,” Bryan said.

The Grossmans had misgiving but agreed.

“It was kind of, ‘OK, I guess so,’” Bryan remembered.

The visitors stayed with them for only one day and for the rest of the time with a nearby relative.

“It was a great visit,” Bryan recalled. “Then they went back and about a week later we started getting sick... Of the eight people living in our house, every single one of us got COVID. We called them and asked, ‘Hey, are any of you guys sick?” They said, ‘Oh yeah, one of us did have COVID by the way.’”

Bryan added, “They didn’t think to call us and say, ‘Oh by the way, one of us showed up positive for COVID.’”

The baby grandson, Leo, was the first to get ill. Patrice and Bryan and their five children followed. But they all managed to ride it out and emerged seemingly unscathed after a month of quarantine.

Byran remembered telling himself, “Oh my gosh, we totally ducked the bullet.”

Patrice figured she had disproved her prediction. Bryan remembered her saying, “Boy, it’s a good thing I got through this. I just wish people would listen. This is a real thing.”

Patrice went back to work at the NICU and continued caring for newborns in the hospital where she herself had been born.

But two weeks later, she began experiencing a sore throat and a runny nose. Her eyes burned.

“She said, ‘Oh man, I don’t feel good,’” Bryan remembered.

Patrice initially decided she did not need to go to a doctor, insisting she was fine. She then changed her mind, and Bryan drove her to the hospital. Neither of them were greatly concerned on the evening of Oct. 29 when she strode into the emergency room where visitors were not allowed. He would be left with a regret.

“I didn’t give her a hug,” he told The Daily Beast.

After a short while, she texted him.

“I don’t feel so good, but I think it’ll be OK.”

Her messages then suddenly turned urgent.

“Pray for me. Pray for me.”

He got a call from a social worker, who explained the doctor was busy with an influx of patients. The social worker reported that Patrice had gone into cardiac arrest.

But the medical team managed to stabilize her, and she was responding to antibiotics.

“Everything looks like it’s going to be OK,” Bryan recalled.

Bryan went to bed that night feeling he had reason to be optimistic. He was awakened by another call from the social worker. A doctor came on the line.

“I’m sorry, I’ve been working on your wife for half an hour…” the doctor began.

The doctor seemed about to say there was nothing more to be done when Brayn heard a shout in the background.

“Wait, we have a heartbeat!”

The doctor said he would call back. Bryan stood in a hallway at home with his family, waiting until the phone rang again.

“OK, we’ve stabilized her, but she’s in a coma,” the doctor reported.

Not long afterward, at 1:21 a.m., Patrice was pronounced dead. The virus that the deniers say is no worse than the flu had killed her just two days after she had last been on duty as a nurse.

“It struck her down that fast,” Bryan said.

The same rules that keep the parking lot empty prevented the family from being with her in her final moments. They were now told they could come see her.

“We can go and see her after she’s dead, but we can’t go in when she’s dying,” Bryan later told The Daily Beast.

Other rules, these involving patient privacy, had precluded the nurses in the ICU from keeping anybody but those in the family apprised of Patrice’s fight for her life there. That included the nurses who had worked with her in the NICU.

But as it happens, the windows of the ICU face those of the NICU. And the ICU nurses communicated more than they perhaps would have been able to convey with words by fashioning the big red heart with Post-its in the room where she had desperately struggled to her untimely end, all her considerable, love-powered strength against what the deniers deny.

Soon, photos of the red Post-it heart began appearing online, possibly destined to become a symbol of solidarity among nurses on the front lines of the heartbreaking reality that is the pandemic. One of the nurses in the Utah Valley ICU had fallen ill with COVID-19 and was said online by a co-worker to be fighting for her life.

At the Grossman house, the family faced a life without its center. The family’s obituary describes Patrice as a “dance mom,” full of life and fun and love. They also said she had fought fiercely to the end.

“She was taken away from us too soon, by a virus that never should have gotten to the point that it did,” her daughter, Natassja French, wrote on a GoFundMe page.

And if the deniers were still denying and if the intruders were still not yet convinced, that red Post-it heart kept appearing online, shared from nurse to nurse.

“I think we are going to put it on her gravestone,” Bryan said.

You and the little group attacking me are reaching so hard we're talking semantics now. If I had said 99 percent would your sensibilities be less offended? Who gives a fuck. With a very few exceptions, politicians are scum. Mostly because people keep excusing their behavior. What Newsom did is inexcusable, but he'll get re-elected in a landslide. Because "degrees".

Keep directing the anger at those dissatisfied with our politicians. Yelling "stop attacking my party! We're bad but not that bad!" has certainly proven to be a winning strategy.

Victim blaming. Amazingly stupid.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

You and the little group attacking me are reaching so hard we're talking semantics now. If I had said 99 percent would your sensibilities be less offended? Who gives a fuck. With a very few exceptions, politicians are scum. Mostly because people keep excusing their behavior. What Newsom did is inexcusable, but he'll get re-elected in a landslide. Because "degrees".

Keep directing the anger at those dissatisfied with our politicians. Yelling "stop attacking my party! We're bad but not that bad!" has certainly proven to be a winning strategy.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Pussy bullshit like acting as if Newsome is the same as a covid denier is what's wrong with democrats. 

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Show me where I said that.

You said to string him up because he didn't wear a mask at a party. Like, yeah man, that shit should be reserved for people who know covid will kill a lot of people and actively promote propaganda that says otherwise.

Edited by Pam Cummings

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

No, that would have still been dumb. 

The irony in this is that your absurd statement weakens your valid argument. Newsom should rightfully be pilloried for this. It was not just a terrible political move, it was also a dangerous leadership move that will likely lead to more deaths than if he practiced what he preached. It's a serious enough misstep that resignation should actually be discussed. 

Your immediate pivot to discussing how all politicians are scum actually distracts from how bad Newsom's behavior is by just lumping it in as something all politicians do. You're hurting your own cause, which is a familiar theme around here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/16/2020 at 6:53 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

While that interview circulated this spring Epstein kept doubling down even as the death toll rose until he abruptly stopped tweeting on 4/20. 
I wonder if he’s on Parler. 

FFS, let's be sure and pay attention to the most science-phobic learned profession that exists.  JFC.

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He’s making the point they’re not all bad.  Abrams isn’t bad.  John Lewis isn’t bad.  Need more?

Wanna bet?  Dig into any human's history -- I'll be able to find something to pillory them for.  Because humans.  I guarantee you that John Lewis fooled around on his wife, or cheated on his taxes one year, or something else.

You said to string him up because he didn't wear a mask at a party. Like, yeah man, that shit should be reserved for people who know covid will kill a lot of people and actively promote propaganda that says otherwise.
We can guillotine the Republicans twice then.

We have to stop excusing bad behavior because "it's not as bad". The elections are over. It's time to shift from politics as a team sport into being citizens and demanding accountability and responsibility from our politicians, regardless of party. If you guys plan to spend the next 2 and 4 years being party champions and not concerned citizens, that's your prerogative. That's not what I'll be doing.