CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

51 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

These two tweets next to each other are really something.

52EC71C8-2335-4CB4-ACF1-DDDD8B71FC0C.jpeg

And how these tweets are perceived in MAGA Land:

IF IT WASN'T FOR TRUMP'S LEADERSHIP, WE WOULDN'T HAVE THESE VACCINES TODAY!!!!  BIDEN IS SUCH A PUSSY, HE WOULDN'T TELL THESE DRUG COMPANIES TO GET OFF THEIR ASSES AND GET TO WORK!!!!

Importantly, from the news release...

A secondary endpoint analyzed severe cases of COVID-19 and included 11 severe cases (as defined in the study protocol) in this first interim analysis. All 11 cases occurred in the placebo group and none in the mRNA-1273 vaccinated group.

• Hook 'Em 6

I like how the President calls it "China Plague" in a tweet about a Pharma company and its vaccination efficacy.  

I think he pictures their labs having people running around in haste with beakers and test tubes labeled "China Plague #001" 

For all the briefings he's probably received from Scientists and Big Pharma reps, I bet he somehow knows less about laboratories and drug development now than he did when he was sworn in.  His regression, although it has cost my nation dearly, has been absolutely scintillating to watch unfold.  

I know it's very painful to watch an elderly parent or spouse suffer marked cognitive decline in their older years...but I am so glad that Trump's children get to watch this mighty patriarch be reduced to a babbling obese idiot in the twilight of his life.  The pain and anguish they feel watching Donald's reduction makes me happy.  It literally makes me smile.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I like how the President calls it "China Plague" in a tweet about a Pharma company and its vaccination efficacy.  

I think he pictures their labs having people running around in haste with beakers and test tubes labeled "China Plague #001" 

For all the briefings he's probably received from Scientists and Big Pharma reps, I bet he somehow knows less about laboratories and drug development now than he did when he was sworn in.  His regression, although it has cost my nation dearly, has been absolutely scintillating to watch unfold.  

I know it's very painful to watch an elderly parent or spouse suffer marked cognitive decline in their older years...but I am so glad that Trump's children get to watch this mighty patriarch be reduced to a babbling obese idiot in the twilight of his life.  The pain and anguish they feel watching Donald's reduction makes me happy.  It literally makes me smile.

I doubt they'll feel any pain. This is how I imagine his family as his end nears:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31832-1377632896-9.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, good point.  Damnit, I wanted them to be sad about it!  

There have been numerous reports on divides between he and his children over the years.  Both mental and physical. 

But one trait they all seem to have is that while they probably don't love him, or even respect him, they all give off that vibe of having long craved his approval/attention.  Maybe for selfish reasons, "If Dad thinks I'm smart, he'll back my next venture.  if Dad thinks I'm trust-worthy, he'll co-sign this loan for me."  That kinda shit.  To me anyway, they certainly give off that sense of needing his tacit approval of them/their behavior.  They certainly seem to crave it, so what will fill that void when he's gone?  

All I know is I've only seen Don, Jr. in person once and that was here in Austin with Eric at a guy's birthday party.  And Donald, Jr. was doing the quantities of blow that no longer suggest he's trying to party his ass off and drink until dawn, but rather the comical amounts of it that suggest he's trying to fill a serious void in his soul that only narcotics and Guilfoyle DSL's can satiate.  And he talked about hunting and firearms a lot.  And I thought it was curious that it appeared his three favorite things in life are all three things his father has never done-drugs, alcohol, and hunting.  

Curious to see how his children try to give Trump all the credit for these two vaccination reports in the coming days.  They are about to become ministers without portfolio...which shouldn't come as a big shock for them since that's all they've really ever been.  

Edited by Lobo

Just curious - how much faith do you guys have the in long-term safety of the mRNA vaccines that are going to be first to market?  As I understand it, there isn't much, if any, long-term safety data for mRNA vaccines at this point, but the scientific community seems to think that the risk of serious issues is relatively low because mRNA tends to break down in the body relatively quickly.  So, if availability wasn't an issue, where do you guys stand on jumping in line to get your vaccine shot - 

1.  Put me in the front of the line!

2.  Come back and talk to me in 6 months / a year.

3.  I'll wait for a more conventional vaccine.

As someone that tends to trust science generally, I hate to say it, but I might lean toward waiting until summer 2021, just to make sure nothing wonky is going on (especially because I'm not in one of the high risk groups and work from home anyway). What are you guys thinking?

43 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Just curious - how much faith do you guys have the in long-term safety of the mRNA vaccines that are going to be first to market?  As I understand it, there isn't much, if any, long-term safety data for mRNA vaccines at this point, but the scientific community seems to think that the risk of serious issues is relatively low because mRNA tends to break down in the body relatively quickly.  So, if availability wasn't an issue, where do you guys stand on jumping in line to get your vaccine shot - 

As someone that tends to trust science generally, I hate to say it, but I might lean toward waiting until summer 2021, just to make sure nothing wonky is going on (especially because I'm not in one of the high risk groups and work from home anyway). What are you guys thinking?

My wife works with the elderly, including those in memory care which makes masks and social distancing virtually impossible. That, combined with a couple of risk factors in the family put us firmly in category #1. 

Here's an interesting basic piece on what makes MRNA vaccine's different from conventional.

• Hook 'Em 4

The shingles vaccine is a conventional vaccine and not MRNA.  From what I remember reading previously that the docs here posted, MRNA vaccines are the future of vaccines.  Also, the link Bozo posted that explains MRNA vaccines is worth reading. 

I am in camp 1.  I'll take my chances with the vaccine over continuing to live like we have since March.  Since you can get the virus again, herd immunity isn't happening on it's own.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Agree with BeauVine on shingles vaccine.

My biggest concern on vaccines they push out quickly is that the military almost certainly will be forced to use them.  On one of the initial versions, some of the components were known to directly cause sterility.   Yeah, fuck that.  I want some  grandkids.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-covid-vaccine-causing-infer/fact-check-a-coronavirus-vaccine-that-makes-everyone-infertile-has-not-been-approved-for-use-idUSKBN25H20G

Edited by slorch

Again, by the time I get the vaccine in March or April, probably 100 million people will have taken it. Any immediate side effects will be recognized by then. As far as long term, it’s just something I’m willing to risk. Door 1 is Covid with ver tiny chance of death but most likely fine but could have unknown long term affects if any, Door 2 is wait another year in restricted life, and Door 3 is vaccine with unknown long term affects of any. 

I’m a door 3, inject it in my veins. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

I’m a 2, wanting it to be closer to 6 months than a year.  By April 2021 I will feel really good about the sample of data they have.  But I am low risk. If I were old or worked around elderly people or in healthcare I would be a 1.  

I should know today. We do the rapid tests for people who have symptoms with no known exposure.

The lab director told me he just had to test 10 of our pharmacy employees this morning because of an “extended exposure”.

Sore throat isn’t super common, I don’t think but according to our Employee Health Nurse the most common complaints they’re seeing in this spike amongst employees with symptoms is fatigue, headache, fever, and loss of taste.

I’ve got three but I also get those symptoms when my allergies act up so I’m hopeful that’s all it is. My assistant is very high risk (Black, overweight, Lupus, high blood pressure) so I want to be 100% sure I’m not positive.

Start a Maga kissing booth to raise $ for election challenges - at least consider it BC.

I’m currently waiting in my car in a line for a test at my hospital.

I started having a sore throat yesterday and woke up with a fever this morning.

I also have a headache and I’m tired as shit but those things seem to be a normal state of being this year.

Just got a text the lady in the office two down from me is positive, so that’s nice.

I pray it’s just allergies.

Our area is spiking again - we have had over 90 positive tests just amongst employees since Sunday.

My coworker vomited out of all sides of his mask at last Friday’s meeting. When projectile vomit is stopped by a mask

giphy.gif

Hope you have generic seasonal crud snd not the ‘rona.

21 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Obviously it’s because we’re testing more. 

Wow.  I just noticed the pictures the healthcare providers have posted to their chests.  I assume these are their pictures so the poor souls in the hospital can picture them as real human beings and not PPE'ed up robots as they potentially breath their last breath.  So fucking sad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, GopherRock said:

I'll roll up my sleeve when it's my turn, but my turn doesn't need to come up for quite a while yet.

if there's any sense to order it's:

1A. front line healthcare workers
1B. remaining hospital/doc staff and olds in homes
2. anyone else living in close quarters/institutions (prisoners), people who work in close quarters (teachers, meatpackers, anyone in uniform) and students
3. anyone else who has to see a lot of people everyday (anyone working retail)
4. everyone else

i think most of surly falls into 4.  we've got some docs and nurses, but the 90% of this board who are lawyers don't actually have to see anyone anymore since we just zoom everything nad have found that not putting on pants is relaxing (no jeffrey toobin). 

This article originally appeared here on Salon.com

Last summer, Gov. Kristi Noem of South Dakota welcomed bikers from across the country to the annual rally in the town of Sturgis. Hundreds of thousands showed up and they partied like there was no tomorrow. Noem, a rising Republican star, didn't cancel the state fair and refused to issue much guidance on how to avoid spreading COVID-19. As the state's caseload rose quickly throughout the fall, Noem spent $5 million of federal COVID relief money creating ads to encourage tourism.

She has rejected all advice from the CDC and has made it clear that she will defy any mandates coming from the new administration as well. She says she leaves it up to her people to do what's best for their families because she values freedom. Apparently, she believes these people should have the freedom to infect innocent bystanders as well.

Tomorrow has arrived. The state is now considered to be one of the worst COVID hotspots in the world and hospitals are in a desperate situation. Over the weekend a South Dakota nurse wrote this disturbing dispatch on Twitter:

I have a night off from the hospital. As I'm on my couch with my dog I can't help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don't believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that "stuff" because they don't have COViD because it's not real. Yes. This really happens.

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Early on I would have answered 2.  Today I answer 1.  I mean, it's just injecting foreign genetic material.  What's the worst that could happen?

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

The shingles vaccine is a conventional vaccine and not MRNA.  From what I remember reading previously that the docs here posted, MRNA vaccines are the future of vaccines.  Also, the link Bozo posted that explains MRNA vaccines is worth reading. 

I am in camp 1.  I'll take my chances with the vaccine over continuing to live like we have since March.  Since you can get the virus again, herd immunity isn't happening on it's own.

So all of yall are gonna be sterile zombies. 

I'm still in camp 2 so I might have to repopulate the earth. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.