CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Good thing South Dakota only has 1,500 people.  

Sarcasm aside, I feel really bad for so many SD residents.  Assholes with wanton disregard for Covid-19 descend on their state in the hundreds of thousands.  These people try to be good hosts and make a few dollars during a very trying time economically.  The guests have zero fucking respect for them, and then basically torch the state on the way out the door.  And now a state with perhaps not the greatest healthcare infrastructure in the Union is left holding the bag.  I no longer feel any sympathy for Trumpers that get this shit at rallies or the 1st or 2nd degree of bacon from those events.  But these SD folks...I feel really bad for them.  The vast majority had this foisted upon them because Trumpers were using it as laboratory to prove their salt. 

And sidenote-I don't know where that bullshit cliche about biker rally attendees being mostly dentists and lawyers and accountants who have the cash to spend on badass rides.  There a handful sure.  But most of the people at these things are fucking idiots and this proves it once and for all.  My dad turned me on to motorcycles as a kid.  I've done Bike Week in Daytona a couple of times.  Wife and I used to do ROT here in Austin for well over a decade.  Great people but not the scientifically/mathematically trained public health leaders we need conducting six-figure gatherings right now.  And one of our most beautiful states is suffering horribly because of it.  

When this is all over, the Dakotas are gonna team up and fuck up the rest of us red staters and we're gonna deserve it.  

25 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

More info on the Pfizer vaccine .

Yeah, this is going to be the primary problem with the PFE approach, at least until they can come up with a more stable formulation at some point.  MRNA only requires -20C, which still creates problems but not as much as -70C. 

Here is a short read on the issue.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/31/cold-chain-and-colder-chain-distribution

• Hook 'Em 1

Doctor’s offices? Probably not.

Pharmacies? Maybe depending on if they already stock something that requires those temps but probably not for most. Most refrigerators at clinics and pharmacies only go down to -20.

I would expect we’re not going to be able to get this vaccine at any doc’s office or any pharmacy. I expect each geographic area will have a couple of vaccination sites.

And you have to get a booster shot three weeks after so that’s another logistical problem.

And I imagine an injection at that temperature is going to be uncomfortable.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Doctor’s offices? Probably not.

Pharmacies? Maybe depending on if they already stock something that requires those temps but probably not for most. Most refrigerators at clinics and pharmacies only go down to -20.

I would expect we’re not going to be able to get this vaccine at any doc’s office or any pharmacy. I expect each geographic area will have a couple of vaccination sites.

And you have to get a booster shot three weeks after so that’s another logistical problem.

And I imagine an injection at that temperature is going to be uncomfortable.

Was wondering about the comfort factor.  What temperature is it when you are actually injected with it?

60 Minutes had an interesting interview with Gen. Gustave Perna, the Army logistics chief responsible for distribution of the vaccine.

I suppose the interview was ultimately low on substance, but Perna exudes both competence and humility.  The Army doesn't get sufficient credit, imo, for the logistics things they pull off routinely.

Yeah, the logistics of distribution are a nightmare, and in particular ensuring availability when the second administration is necessary.  Probably part of the reason PFE developed their own distribution channel. They will have capability to ship directly from the manufacturing plant to the sites of administration in cold boxes that are good for the duration of shipping and some period of time on site. The vax can apparently be brought down to refrigerator temps for a short period before admin, but I would have concerns with making sure the stock is turning over and the cold chain is preserved at site of admin.  This all becomes a lot easier if/when MRNA's vaccine is approved. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Army doesn't get sufficient credit, imo, for the logistics things they pull off routinely.

One of my best and oldest friends is an Air Force Lt. Colonel currently attending the Army War College.  They get WAY deep into logistics training, for obvious reasons.  One of my cousins is an Army Colonel who attended the War College and got bumped up to Assistant Athletic Director at West Point, handling road game travel logistics.  Not exactly as dangerous as his two decades plus in the sand, but a pretty cool gig for an undersized former college football player.  He loved it.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yikes.  Sounds like Food Bank 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Yep, you are going to have people queued up around the block, trying to maintain social distancing.  Thaw the batch, then get as many people through the queue as possible, thaw next batch, rinse and repeat. I imagine a lot of places will try to set up drive throughs. Fill out some forms, stick your arm out the door/hold the crying kid scared to death of shots down in the back seat, jab, jab, jab, roll out. 

Another aspect of the logistical challenge is getting a good hold on tracking of the administration for safety surveillance purposes.  The way that reimbursement is being handled, at least as far as I understand it, all the data will go back to CMS, instead of the usual channels. That information needs to be linked up with the various safety surveillance systems that are used to evaluate signals identified from other outlets (e.g., VAERS). There is just layer upon layer to the challenges. 

Edited by Anastasis

On 11/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, aggie08 said:

Gee, Ted, it's almost like Pfizer didn't want to impact a presidential election by letting a science-hating douchebag take all the credit for something he had absolutely nothing to do with.

Regarding the timing of releasing the report, FoxBusiness had an interesting report.  (No, really.) 

Monday was the pre-planned sale of stock for several of the Pfizer execs.  The CEO sold $5.6M in stock that day, representing about 60% of his company stock holdings.  Execs are only allowed to buy and sell their stock on a preplanned schedule, because that's the best way to avoid insider trading.  So, instead of working their stock activity around an upcoming press release, they may have worked their press release around an upcoming stock activity.  

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be so 2020/21 for vaccine queues to become superspreader events.

You!. Stop that right now. I mean it. Absolutely NEVER NEVER NEVER bring up the year which shall not be named following this year. I don't mean the year in which we are currently., 2020. Not the year before the year in which we are which was 2019. Nor the year following the year which follows the year in which we are in currently, which would be 2022. No, the year which shall not be named, shall not be named. As it is the year following 2020, which was a tragic and unforeseen calamity, the year following this year, shall not be named so as to slay the demons and foes and pandemics which tortured us without mercy that we may enjoy the fruits of our labors, the desires of our fleshes, and the consumption of our carnivorous bovines upon the ashes of our fires and libations of fermented spirits.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Do we have a source on this?

Yep, here it is.  I originally heard about it on a segment on CNN on Monday where they mentioned the boxes could keep the vaccine cold for 10 days.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You!. Stop that right now. I mean it. Absolutely NEVER NEVER NEVER bring up the year which shall not be named following this year. I don't mean the year in which we are currently., 2020. Not the year before the year in which we are which was 2019. Nor the year following the year which follows the year in which we are in currently, which would be 2022. No, the year which shall not be named, shall not be named. As it is the year following 2020, which was a tragic and unforeseen calamity, the year following this year, shall not be named so as to slay the demons and foes and pandemics which tortured us without mercy that we may enjoy the fruits of our labors, the desires of our fleshes, and the consumption of our carnivorous bovines upon the ashes of our fires and libations of fermented spirits.

95CC5F04-1096-495E-A8F5-171F7FE9C494.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How long until results?  Is a sore throat very common with covid?

Kind thoughts to you, and a big thank you for your work.

I've had two of the curative drive through oral swab tests - one before I visited my dad before a surgery, and another after one of my wife's office mates popped positive. Both times, I had results within 48 hours. They're free and all over major cities

Welp, the OSU-Maryland game on Saturday has been canceled because of a Covid outbreak on the Terps team. 

Fuck Trump and his incompetent band of grifters playing government and fuck everyone of you motherfuckers who were stupid enough to vote for him. We wouldn't be where we are if we had competent leadership in the White House. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Welp, the OSU-Maryland game on Saturday has been canceled because of a Covid outbreak on the Terps team. 

Fuck Trump and his incompetent band of grifters playing government and fuck everyone of you motherfuckers who were stupid enough to vote for him. We wouldn't be where we are if we had competent leadership in the White House. 

You're welcome!!!

How long until results?  Is a sore throat very common with covid?
Kind thoughts to you, and a big thank you for your work.

I should know today. We do the rapid tests for people who have symptoms with no known exposure.

The lab director told me he just had to test 10 of our pharmacy employees this morning because of an “extended exposure”.

Sore throat isn’t super common, I don’t think but according to our Employee Health Nurse the most common complaints they’re seeing in this spike amongst employees with symptoms is fatigue, headache, fever, and loss of taste.

I’ve got three but I also get those symptoms when my allergies act up so I’m hopeful that’s all it is. My assistant is very high risk (Black, overweight, Lupus, high blood pressure) so I want to be 100% sure I’m not positive.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

Just got an email from an opposing lawyer in San Angelo - 3 out of his 7 staff have Covid, including his wife, and one is in the hospital. Meanwhile, Texas has its highest day of reported cases yet. Sheesh this holiday season is gonna suck. Need that damn vaccine yesterday.

It's amazing that college football games are being cancelled left and right, yet the Texas HS football playoffs start tomorrow, and I haven't heard of a single cancellation...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"Look! Our state went scarlet for our President.... That's what Buckeyes do!"- My dumbass relatives from St. Paris.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

It's amazing that college football games are being cancelled left and right, yet the Texas HS football playoffs start tomorrow, and I haven't heard of a single cancellation...

Colleges have deeper pockets for future lawsuits than most high schools... and they know they're already on everyone's radar as being "exploitive"

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m currently waiting in my car in a line for a test at my hospital.

I started having a sore throat yesterday and woke up with a fever this morning.

I also have a headache and I’m tired as shit but those things seem to be a normal state of being this year.

Just got a text the lady in the office two down from me is positive, so that’s nice.

I pray it’s just allergies.

Our area is spiking again - we have had over 90 positive tests just amongst employees since Sunday.

Hope you've got some normal boring shit instead of Covid.

And if you do have Covid, that you get some bland weak mall food court version of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Dumb question that was probably answered already, but they don't inject that into you at -70 do they? I assume there is a thawing out period first. 

spacer.png

You’ll have to perform an act of true love right after you get it or you’re megafucked.

I got my 2020 Covid Test Experience finally two days ago. Had some minor surgery yesterday, so I guess they didn't want me puking Covid all up on the surgeon and assistants in my drugged up sleep where I try to confess to where we buried Paco, but that breathing tube saves me from incriminating myself, again.

Anyway, I was the only one there in the morning in the hospital parking garage. Woman comes out, she's got the vibe of a machinegunner at Verdun in 1916 slapping another belt of ammo into the gun, nothing personal, just business. Two pings up the nose, no biggie, I left there suspecting that President Trump was a dramatic whinybaby.

Still don't know the results. I guess negative, because they let me inside the hospital the next day.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Cool.  53 cases +/- apparently (eta from press release they appear to have "substantially more" cases than 53).  PFE had 94 cases.  Funny thing is that apparently PFE was suppose to do their interim analysis @ 30ish cases, but the FDA apparently was uneasy with either the look being too early, or the number of interim looks they were doing at the data, so they renegotiated to an interim look at 60 something cases.  By the time they finished the negotiation with FDA, they already had 94 cases and that triggered the analysis that was reported on Monday.  More than likely that original interim look @ 30ish would have been met a week earlier...which would have put the press release before the election.  LULZ. 

Edited by Anastasis

It it eventually comes out that Pfizer purposely held the announcement until after the election, would there be a better case of karmic irony in history? Trump and the GOP whining and crying about a corporation having undue influence in politics...

You hate to see it.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

It it eventually comes out that Pfizer purposely held the announcement until after the election, would there be a better case of karmic irony in history? Trump and the GOP whining and crying about a corporation having undue influence in politics...

You hate to see it.

The other interesting coincidence is that the press release coincided perfectly to the early trading hour with the CEO's planned stock sale went at ~5.6MM.

I don't think that there is anything nefarious behind the timing in either case...but those are some interesting coincidences. 

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Is this alarmist or hype?  I don't know who "covidexitstrategy.org" is.

Cuz, uh, it doesn't look god.

That is what's really showing  on their site. You never know with the internet, but I have had them bookmarked for most of this year. They seem legit to me, but I haven't done any worthwhile investigation. They seem transparent about their credentials:

We are a group of public health and crisis experts. With former experience working at the White House, Department of Health and Human Services, and on the Ebola epidemic in West Africa. We are a non-partisan group, having worked across multiple administrations. We built this site to track each state's progress towards stopping the spread of COVID-19.

Our focus is the data available on the ground and how we can surface it in meaningful ways for state and local leaders to act on.

This is a collaborative effort between individuals from a few organizations. We are always looking for feedback on how we can make this resource more useful. If you have suggestions, please send them our way.

Collaborators
Ryan Panchadsaram (@rypan)- U.S. Digital Response
Natalie Davis - United States of Care
Kristin Wikelius (@kwikelius)- United States of Care
Cyrus Shahpar, MD (@cyrusshahpar)- Resolve to Save Lives
Laura Cobb, DrPH - Resolve to Save Lives
Marta Wosińska, PhD - Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
David Anderson - Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
Lucas Merrill Brown, PhD - U.S. Digital Response
Devin Hunt - U.S. Digital Response
David Goligorsky - U.S. Digital Response
Patrick Sheehan - U.S. Digital Response
Sean MacPherson - U.S. Digital Response
Brice Wolfgang- U.S. Digital Response

Data Sources
Cases, Deaths, Tests - COVID Tracking Project
Rt - rt.live
ILI Activity Level - CDC
ICU & Hospital Utilization - CDC

Disclaimer
This is a volunteer effort and the data we use comes from publicly available sources. Our reports are only as good as the data that is being reported. If you are making critical decisions, we encourage you to visit the official federal, state, and local government websites.

Feedback
feedback@covidexitstrategy.org