CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is infuriating.  A kid pays the ultimate price because the adults in the room can't make the smart call.

What exactly was the smart call here?

This is a tragic case, but interested what the smart call to be gleaned from a public health perspective is based on this case?  Are we just talking general principals about mask wearing and hand washing and social distancing, or something more specific?

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I grew up near where that kid died, and I am 100% in tune with the nearly universal rejection of masks, etc. in that part of the country.

So yeah, I'm inferring something based on where he lives.  Sue me.

The parent's statement was "The family also asks that we all remember to wear masks, wash hands frequently and follow guidelines. COVID-19 is real and they want to remind students and parents to take these precautions in and outside of school." Maybe this reflects a change of heart based on their tragedy, or maybe not and they were already there.

CNN's twatter framed this around school attendance...maybe that is justified, maybe not.  Nothing in the article really provides anything of actionable substance. The media doesn't really have a good track record with their framing of the public health issues involved here...see the outright misrepresentations of COVID cases among teachers that were not on campus. That's where I am coming from with it. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's fine, I'm not up for the argument, you can think I'm off base all you want.

I'm fucking sick of people dying.  That's all I have to say about it.

I am not trying to criticize your response as much as the framing of the case report in the twat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Donald Trump said Covid talk would disappear as of yesterday and yet here we are. Now the entire on air cast of Fox's Big Noon Kickoff will be out on Saturday due to Covid protocol. That's got to suck for Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert not to do the show from their alma mater. I was really looking forward to the show this week. It's so much better than College GameDay. 

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Big-Noon-Kickoff-crew-out-COVID-19-Urban-Meyer-Reggie-Bush-Arizona-State-USC-154222356/

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Donald Trump said Covid talk would disappear as of yesterday and yet here we are. Now the entire on air cast of Fox's Big Noon Kickoff will be out on Saturday due to Covid protocol. That's got to suck for Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert not to do the show from their alma mater. I was really looking forward to the show this week. It's so much better than College GameDay. 

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Big-Noon-Kickoff-crew-out-COVID-19-Urban-Meyer-Reggie-Bush-Arizona-State-USC-154222356/

Oh shit, yeah, we totally missed this -- COVID went away yesterday!  It's all gone!   Go out and celebrate, lick each other's faces, whatever, it's GONE!  DOTUS told us it would be, all of his supporters told us it would be, so.....IT'S GONE!

Right?

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh shit, yeah, we totally missed this -- COVID went away yesterday!  It's all gone!   Go out and celebrate, lick each other's faces, whatever, it's GONE!  DOTUS told us it would be, all of his supporters told us it would be, so.....IT'S GONE!

Right?

People were behaving like that before he said anything. What he said is bull shit and utter fuckery, but been hearing from my girlfriend about all her friends and their halloween adventures. 

Expecting some fun numbers next week. Is it a good time to buy toilet paper?

28 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

People don’t give a fuck about Covid. That ain’t changing regardless of who is in the White House. 1k cases, 150k cases, nobody cares.

If we had a real leader in the beginning that didn’t mislead everyone about everything and corrupt every credible public health institution...things would have been different...much different.

• Hook 'Em 3

I stopped giving COVID updates from South Korea as it feels depressing to contrast here to the USA. Things are pretty normal here except anyone indoors in public wears a mask.  Otherwise life is fairly normal all things considered.

I just stopped trying to explain Trump support and the corona virus. I just tell people who ask WTF is up with America that it is full of morons. They must understand because I rarely get follow up questions, which is good because I don't want to talk about it.

My brother found out today he has COVID and he has had an organ transplant so he has increased risk for complications. I have been lucky as that is the first person in my family who tested positive, though a few were quarantined due to exposure in the past. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If we had a real leader in the beginning that didn’t mislead everyone about everything and corrupt every credible public health institution...things would have been different...much different.

Yeah one of my "moderate" friends tried very hard to make this argument to me but it's bullshit. It's not even that people don't give a fuck about COVID, it's that the Republicans actively undermine efforts to contain it and willfully spread it. How that can be extrapolated to saying that we were fucked regardless in the face of evidence suggesting otherwise is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Should I leave this here?

STOCKHOLM, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Sweden, whose pandemic strategy of avoiding lockdowns has gained international attention, reported a record increase in new COVID-19 cases on Thursday as health officials said it was seeing a marked rise of patients in intensive care.

Sweden registered 4,034 new coronavirus cases, health agency data showed, the latest in a string of records set in recent days amid a pandemic resurgence that has struck the country later than many other parts of Europe, but which now appears to be rapidly gaining momentum.

https://news.trust.org/item/20201105132931-8ymok

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

I stopped giving COVID updates from South Korea as it feels depressing to contrast here to the USA. Things are pretty normal here except anyone indoors in public wears a mask.  Otherwise life is fairly normal all things considered.

I just stopped trying to explain Trump support and the corona virus. I just tell people who ask WTF is up with America that it is full of morons. They must understand because I rarely get follow up questions, which is good because I don't want to talk about it.

My brother found out today he has COVID and he has had an organ transplant so he has increased risk for complications. I have been lucky as that is the first person in my family who tested positive, though a few were quarantined due to exposure in the past. 

If you've heard about the Korean Englishman controversy there it feels like we are living in 2 different planets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a female coworker who used to show me his videos from Youtube sometimes. I always felt he was pandering to Korean culture, but I could be wrong. Him and his wife fucked up. Never get the Korean netizens angry at you or you will get swarmed like killer bees. If they feel you are disrespecting Korea or it's culture they pull out the long knives. Though younger Koreans are pretty open to foreigners, there are plenty here who judge you extremely harshly for any misstep. I know some other flu outbreaks here in the past were laid at foreigner's feet by a lot of Koreans. Ignoring COVID restrictions, as a foreigner, is just asking for trouble and filming yourself doing it...yikes. Also sounds like they had other issues that Koreans were not happy about that they felt free to bring up after the controversy related to taxation and using the health care system without paying into it.

Edited by Jhawkmvp

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

134,000 new cases today in the US. 3rd day in a row we have broken the previous days record

Texas is the first state to cross over 1 million cases

Deaths also up day over day for the last 4 days

Sometimes you just have to dance. 

White House Chief-of-Staff has covid.   Too far removed to be tied to the Rose Garden shindig, and he had traveled across 5-6 states in 3 days right before his diagnosis, so who knows where he picked it up at.

As a whole, we are probably closing in on 150,000 new cases a day by the end of next week, if not sooner.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

White House Chief-of-Staff has covid.   Too far removed to be tied to the Rose Garden shindig, and he had traveled across 5-6 states in 3 days right before his diagnosis, so who knows where he picked it up at.

As a whole, we are probably closing in on 150,000 new cases a day by the end of next week, if not sooner.

Also in that reporting is that the WH knew and actively concealed his diagnosis, along with four other staffers. Going to be some potential litigation there if I had to guess

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sleepy Joe might not even make his inauguration...

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

better keep him away from anything/one that's had access to trump

Indeed.  Joe might start inconsolably crying in the meantime.

Edited by slorch

Gonna make the meetings between the transition team and the current staff kinda awkward when one side is masked up, the other one isn't and half of 'em have been exposed to Covid-19 in the last few weeks.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Gonna make the meetings between the transition team and the current staff kinda awkward when one side is masked up, the other one isn't and half of 'em have been exposed to Covid-19 in the last few weeks.  

The White House has a basement that i'm sure will accommodate them in the comfort to which they've grown accustomed.

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Id say we agree mass gatherings are a bad idea in a pandemic

Yes, it would have been preferable for public health if one of the biggest elections of our lifetimes didn't happen this year. But such is life, and I see a shit ton of masks in that crowd.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Id say we agree mass gatherings are a bad idea in a pandemic

Hey, you might actually see something resembling a strategy now. For a guy who's clamoring so much for a return to normalcy, you might see somewhat of a better plan than "ah, just let it burn through everyone" to actually get us back to normal faster. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1