CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

On 10/22/2020 at 3:56 PM, Bevo14 said:

You guys have a lot of friends that represent the common clay of the new west.

My sister is the same exact way and it is maddening.
 I by know means want her or anyone in her home to contract covid, but nothing is going to change her attitude outside of personally experiencing it.  
Her and my bil view the world in this bubble where other people’s issues are because of a weakness in them, and their issues are because they are being wronged.

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

He’ll only be unemployed for a couple of months 

Yep. I'm confident that Biden and Fauci have already spoken and have a handshake agreement in place that Biden will bring Fauci in. Part of the reason Fauci has gotten more bold recently.

Regarding the third wave, I was told by the Daily Texan thread that herd immunity was 20% and that any place that had a big spike was set to go with herd immunity and there would be no second spike. So these numbers are fake news.

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

(in reference to Jaredtron's appearance)

They have to control the narrative, they got the real intel from the real doctors (not Atlas) and even though they aren't showing that to the public, they won't be able to deliver in time.

Wave of mutilation?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Hell, I don’t think this is the “third wave” - we’re still in fucking first wave.

We’ve never gotten enough control over this thing in enough regions of the country to distinguish legitimate separate waves.

Exactly. It wasn't all that long ago when some people were talking about a second wave and Fauci was pointing out we were still in the first wave. Now they're talking about a third wave?

Went to LEGOLAND yesterday for Halloween event. 99% of people were wearing their masks. 3 distinct groups of people who weren’t wearing masks.

- Some black women.

- People who really should be wearing masks - fat, kind of sickly and no doubt have pre-existing conditions. 

- Trump supporters. Saw a group of 10 or so with their MAGA caps and not a mask in sight. Not even pretending by keeping it on their chin, just straight out fuck you to everyone else. 

4:33 p.m. ET, October 26, 2020

Minnesota reports 3 Covid-19 outbreaks related to Trump campaign events in September

From CNN's Nadia Kounang

Minnesota is reporting three Covid-19 outbreaks related to Trump campaign events held in September.

At least 21 cases have been traced to outbreaks occurring at rally events in Bemidji on Sept. 18, a speech held by Vice President Mike Pence on Sept. 24 in Minneapolis, and another rally held by the President on Sept. 30 in Duluth, the Minnesota Department of Health said in an email to CNN.

President Trump’s Bemidji rally took place in an airport hanger. According to a CNN producer who attended the event, at least 2,000 people were in attendance. Based on contact tracing by the state department of health, at least 16 cases, including two hospitalizations, were identified among attendees.

In the month proceeding the rally, the seven-day average of new cases in Beltrami County, where Bemidji is located, was 2.85 new cases a day, according to Johns Hopkins University. On the day of the rally it had climbed up slightly to three new cases a day. But four weeks after, the average rate of new cases in the county had increased more than fourfold, reaching an average of 14.57 new cases a day.

On Sept. 24, Pence and Ivanka Trump held a “Cops for Trump” listening event indoors at the InterContinental Hotel in Minneapolis-St. Paul. The state department of health has traced three attendees of the event with Covid-19 infections.

In the month before the event, the seven-day average was just under 180 new cases in Hennepin County and had dropped to an average of 169 new cases on the day of the Vice President’s visit, according to Johns Hopkins. A month later on Oct. 24, that daily new case average was over 266 new cases a day.

The increase in cases coincides with an overall upward trend of new cases in the state of Minnesota that started Sept. 10. The state’s average number of new cases was 727 on Sept. 18 and had more than doubled a month later to 1,506 new cases a day. The state set a record number of new cases a day on Oct. 16 with 2,290 cases.

Another four cases have been traced by the Minnesota Department of Health to a rally the President held on Sept. 30 in Duluth.

Minnesota defines an outbreak as “two or more cases of illness related by time and place in which an epidemiologic investigation suggests either person-to-person transmission occurred” or some other vehicle, such as contaminated water, is implicated.

Public health experts say it is difficult to pinpoint any one event to overall changes in trends in light of the fact that there is overall increased community transmission. But experts also agree that holding such events in this climate is not a best practice for public health. 

In addition to the rally on Sept. 18, a counter protest also resulted in an outbreak of four cases. The state has also traced an additional case each to both a Biden rally on Sept. 18 as well as an event attended by the President’s son, Eric Trump, in Becker on Oct. 1. 

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's just so sad. it didn't have to be this way, and 67% of Americans know that. yet the other 1/3 somehow got their way and here we are.

Well said.

For some Americans, "reasoning is no use; facts that contradict personal prejudices can simply be disbelieved — indeed, the fool can counter by criticizing them, and if they are undeniable, they can be just pushed aside as trivial exceptions.  We shall never again try to convince a fool by reason, for it is both useless and dangerous." ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Well said.

For some Americans, "reasoning is no use; facts that contradict personal prejudices can simply be disbelieved — indeed, the fool can counter by criticizing them, and if they are undeniable, they can be just pushed aside as trivial exceptions.  We shall never again try to convince a fool by reason, for it is both useless and dangerous." ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

so, kill em all?

• Haha 1

So with Covid hitting the rural (and more Trumpy) areas hard, is there a chance that people will not vote in-person because a) they have Covid; and b) they don't want to be in line with someone who has Covid.

If so, it would be so *muah* that Trump is using Covid to suppress his own voters.

^^^ 
My half brother in Fargo, lots of family up in that area, has the rona now.  Says it's like the "half flu."  They have been pretty cavalier -- from what I understand, most folks up there have been.
So, we'll see how it goes.

“We’ll see what happens”

Mike Pence : April 24, 2020

“I truly do believe that if we all continue to do that kind of social distancing and other guidance broadly from federal and state officials, that we’re going to put this coronavirus in the past,” Pence said on Geraldo Rivera’s radio show Friday. “I believe by early June we’re going to see our nation largely past this epidemic.

“I think honestly, if you look at the trends today, that I think by Memorial Day weekend we will have this coronavirus epidemic behind us,” he added.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-24/pence-says-coronavirus-outbreak-could-be-over-by-memorial-day

this was the guy in charge of the Coronavirus Task Force. Stupid or deceptive?

On 10/25/2020 at 6:08 PM, NAVY said:

When covid doesn’t go away after the election, how long does the denial last? This next wave looks super fucking bad. 

Out of curiosity, I hit Fox News. Had to use the search function to find covid coverage. The main article had not been updated since August. Insanity 

When covid doesn’t go away, the denial will shift to blame of the new administration.

”Trump had this thing licked, then we put a fukin’ librul in charge!”

At no point will the Trumpkin brain consider whether it might have been mistaken or misled.  Pulling that thread will unravel literally their whole world.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Interesting comparison. 

I have no idea whether this chart is accurate but one thing I do know is that President superspreader is doing his damndest to make things much shittier in America then anywhere else in the world and is actively killing Americans so he can try to win re-election. 

Anyone you got in Europe to compare that to? 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/16/2020 at 7:20 AM, Hmbre97 said:

HIV/AIDS isn't just an issue in the US...

I've been meaning to come back to table to clarify regarding 35% of NIAID (headed by Dr. Fauci) going to HIV and HIV vaccine grants:

EkJg55CXkAYwWv8?format=jpg&name=medium

HIV research is important for the US and for the world.  Does it warrant a full third of NIAID funding?  I don't know.  But one thing to consider is that HIV is the infectious disease that defines Anthony Fauci's three decades of tenure as head of the NIAID.  I've never been one to harp on the downsides of bureaucrats, but Fauci appears to embody the definition of a DC bureaucrat.  That comes with a risk of overly adhering to what you know and what is familiar at the expense of efficiency or common sense.  And it's not that Fauci lacks common sense, but rather that this pandemic is new and complex and the decision making process appears to be overly concentrated to small number of individuals.  Fauci isn't a bad guy, but 30 year bureaucrats can represent a risk for latent individual bias and narrows the target field for special interests to influence process.

Therapeutics for Covid account for 10% of the Covid budget.  But even that number is misleading because apparently 75% of that 10% for therapeutics has been dedicated to a Lilly monoclonal antibody essentially unproven for safety or efficacy.  In the US, the percent of funds used to research re-purposed drugs that already have FDA safety approval is basically non-existent.  I think one result of that is in part reflected by our abysmal rate of deaths/1M population.  Countries that have been broadly and aggressively using re-purposed generics in early outpatient Covid illness are greatly outperforming the US and the EU in general.  The volume of research being done by the US for re-purposed drugs is dwarfed by the number of studies being done in "lesser" countries that are kicking our butts in terms of actually saving lives while we wait for a new vaccine.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

and most of those countries have areas going back into lockdown to try to stop it.  our moron is throwing rallies and getting people infected while saying we're done with covid.

I mean, it's not like we ever had a real lock down to stop the spread to begin with. Too many "essential workers/businesses".  I know in Austin they shut down pretty good, but when Car Dealerships and Pawn Shops and Mechanic shops and other ridiculous industries, were all deemed essential, thus worked right through "Stay at Home" orders,  this pandemic was really never going to end.

Said from the beginning to nip this in the bud we'd have to do a full on 2-4 week shut down.  No exceptions.  Everyone except truly essential(hospitals and the like).  Yes the economy would have gone into the tank. Yes businesses/companies would have shut down unfortunately.  But guess what? That happened anyways and it's lasting much longer and costing us much more.

Too many people laid off and still can't work thus more federal aid is needed.  Shut everything down for a few weeks. Take the beating in the short term, and we're back to normal by Christmas.  Hopefully.

• Hook 'Em 1

PFE vax has apparently yet to hit its first interim analysis point.  That point requires only 32 total cases among 44k participants. I guess that's good news on some level, but could they please send some of the participants to SD or the other midwest hot spots so we can get this show on the road.  

‘A mass exodus’: HHS staffers jumping ship amid pandemic, fears of Trump loss

"I've personally seen people working on their resumes inside the office," the senior official added. "It's no secret."

While there are typically a slew of political departures in the run-up to an election, this year's HHS defections have been unusually prominent and have touched every corner of a health department that's been barraged by pandemic-linked pressures. 

Spoiler

Skydivers-Human-Ring.gif

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Drew said:

I mean, it's not like we ever had a real lock down to stop the spread to begin with. Too many "essential workers/businesses".  I know in Austin they shut down pretty good, but when Car Dealerships and Pawn Shops and Mechanic shops and other ridiculous industries, were all deemed essential, thus worked right through "Stay at Home" orders,  this pandemic was really never going to end.

Said from the beginning to nip this in the bud we'd have to do a full on 2-4 week shut down.  No exceptions.  Everyone except truly essential(hospitals and the like).  Yes the economy would have gone into the tank. Yes businesses/companies would have shut down unfortunately.  But guess what? That happened anyways and it's lasting much longer and costing us much more.

Too many people laid off and still can't work thus more federal aid is needed.  Shut everything down for a few weeks. Take the beating in the short term, and we're back to normal by Christmas.  Hopefully.

In hindsight, a national mask mandate starting March 1, with enthusiastic support from all elected officials, probably would have prevented well over 100,000 deaths and the pandemic would not have been nearly as life altering as it has been.  As it stands, other than keeping down mass gatherings and limiting capacity in bars/restaurants, mask mandates is probably the main thing we need.  Lockdowns could be limited to counties where hospital capacity is on pace to be strained.

Trump fucked this up so badly it seems intentional.  One unsurprising but little discussed point is the complete and utter lack of mention, by anyone in government, about using this pandemic to devise plans for dealing with future pandemics.

• Hook 'Em 3