CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

“Democratic governors who love to flaunt their pro-science bona fides in comparison with the anti-science Trump administration don’t seem to be aware of this growing body of evidence. On Monday, for instance, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo claimedthat businesses were not “mass spreaders,” as opposed to schools, and subsequently announced that he would close schools in hot-spot areas.”

• Fuck You 1

Governments failed to do the right thing and failed, miserably, in the United States (even states that did the rights things were constantly facing obstruction from the federal government). At this point, I don't think there's anything do be done anymore other than wearing masks and avoiding crowds. I think schools need an in-class option that allows teachers to opt-out without losing their jobs and school districts to offer a virtual option. My wife and daughter are suffering tremendous mental stress from all of this and I just can't bear it any longer to see it play out. I fucking hate it, with all my heart. If the fucking white house had just from the start followed the doctors, locked down for the curve flattening period, and mandate masks thereafter as a sign of patriotism, we would be in a much better place. That didn't happen and it can't be fixed. So it is what it is. I don't want my daughter in a classroom, but she is good with mask wearing and the mental stress of homeschooling is quickly outweighing the covid risk in my assessment. Fuck trump and his fucking republican cronies like the okie governer bullstitt for putting me in this position.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Governments failed to do the right thing and failed, miserably, in the United States (even states that did the rights things were constantly facing obstruction from the federal government). At this point, I don't think there's anything do be done anymore other than wearing masks and avoiding crowds. I think schools need an in-class option that allows teachers to opt-out without losing their jobs and school districts to offer a virtual option. My wife and daughter are suffering tremendous mental stress from all of this and I just can't bear it any longer to see it play out. I fucking hate it, with all my heart. If the fucking white house had just from the start followed the doctors, locked down for the curve flattening period, and mandate masks thereafter as a sign of patriotism, we would be in a much better place. That didn't happen and it can't be fixed. So it is what it is. I don't want my daughter in a classroom, but she is good with mask wearing and the mental stress of homeschooling is quickly outweighing the covid risk in my assessment. Fuck trump and his fucking republican cronies like the okie governer bullstitt for putting me in this position.

I agree with this.  

National mask mandate.
National test and trace mechanism.
Temp checks on all flights.  Rapid tests for all folks entering the country from anywhere the virus is spreading.  
Everything else should return to normal except places where the hospitals are on track to be overwhelmed in < a month, in which case those places should lock down on a county by county basis.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

“Locked down for the curve flattening period.”  Isn’t that what we largely did? Anyway, on that note, siap. 

Will Govs Newsom or Cuomo listen to the scientists now?

1) that's not what that individual said. Read your own link

2) is that scientist speaking for the WHO? IS that the WHO position?

3) The WHO actually does have a guideline for when countries/jurisdictions should "open up." As I'm sure you can guess because you're super smart, our nation meets none of the criteria. So, if 9 months in you are NOW interested in what the WHO has to say, you will be upset to learn that the USA is failing spectacularly using their metrics. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I agree with this.  

National mask mandate.
Temp checks on all flights.  Rapid tests for all folks entering the country from anywhere the virus is spreading.  
Everything else should return to normal except places where the hospitals are on track to be overwhelmed in < a month, in which case those places should lock down on a county by county basis.

Mask Mandate yep... 

People don't want to be traced. 

Temp checks don't mean a lot. Quite a bit of data on this. 

So how do you stop a county (Hays) where numbers are quite high from stopping people from going into another (Travis) where it is a controllable? They can be going to work, heading to a bar, you have no way of knowing. This is why across the EU they are placing lockdown on neighborhoods vs. their equivalent of counties. 

A scientific journal endorsing a political candidate is not political?

Listening to emotion over strategy is why Democrats continue to lose despite the majority of the country agreeing with them on most things.

Triggered by science??

It was not fucking emotion - it was cold hard science and its adherents taking a position when others peddle lies and cause death. You suggest that more death is the better option....because the anti-science voters might not follow the guidance of experts if science-y types take a stand against science lies?

OK

The fact fools will not listen does not mean the sane should quit talking.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Those democrat governors are clearly the problem.

It’s a race against the clock for the deaths to start ticking up for the GOP. I see no reason why the daily case count would slow down in the next 3 weeks. If anything, it will just speed up, and the head right into flu season. But the increase in hospitalization and death will come after the election, so the GOP is going full steam ahead. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Those democrat governors are clearly the problem.

I thought it was the democrat mayors setting fire to their own cities that halted the virus' spread.  Or wait, they set fire to their own federal forestlands.  

Wait.  Something about a Democrat and something raging. Was it fire or the virus or Don Jr. on Guilfoyle after an 8-ball?  Something was raging.  Definitely some kinda rage.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I thought it was the democrat mayors setting fire to their own cities that halted the virus' spread.  Or wait, they set fire to their own federal forestlands.  

Wait.  Something about a Democrat and something raging. Was it fire or the virus or Don Jr. on Guilfoyle after an 8-ball?  Something was raging.  Definitely some kinda rage.  

Trump’s roid rage. 

8 hours ago, heso said:

It’s a race against the clock for the deaths to start ticking up for the GOP. I see no reason why the daily case count would slow down in the next 3 weeks. If anything, it will just speed up, and the head right into flu season. But the increase in hospitalization and death will come after the election, so the GOP is going full steam ahead. 

Yup. Anyone who caught a terminal case of the Covid at Trump's rally last night probably won't die until after Nov. 3 so it's full on denial from this point on. Just pretend the pandemic is over. Tell people the lie they desperately want to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I love the replies on that tweet. They want to argue deaths, which is a good metric, but it's dishonest because the better treatment plan these days is directly the result of all the states and countries who dealt with the first death wave in March/April. They learned what to do and what not to do. 

It's like people in 1945 with penicillin looking back to people in 1922 and saying man, you had way more bacterial infections, you guys are sooo stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I agree with this.  

National mask mandate.

Andrew Cuomo to lead new coronavirus task force.

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Andrew Cuomo to lead new coronavirus task force.

He could provide some valuable input. I mean his state managed to have the second highest death rate while also placing in a solid tie for 3rd worst unemployment rate. All while managing to keep schools closed from in person instruction, thus disproportionately hurting disadvantaged children.

He’s winning the Triple Crown of shitty Covid response. 

Oh, and he also has done a very strong job targeting religious gatherings. He’s a real winner. 

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I guess it depends on the metric used. You could look at deaths. Or unemployment rates. That would be a fun graphic. Maybe migration, too? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The woman, 89, suffered from a rare type of bone marrow cancer called Waldenström's macroglobulinemia. Her immune system was compromised due to the cell-depleting therapy she received, the researchers at Maastricht University Medical Center in the Netherlands wrote in a paper accepted for publication in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That really makes those of us with immunocompromised children feel much better, that's for sure. 

And you should have heightened concerns of course. Not sure that that really justifies "raising serious concerns about how long immunity lasts..." Seems like literally an N of 1 in a situation where immunocompromised status would be relevant to point out.  Probably just didn't fit in the tweet though. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

And you should have heightened concerns of course. Not sure that that really justifies "raising serious concerns about how long immunity lasts..." Seems like literally an N of 1 in a situation where immunocompromised status would be relevant to point out.  Probably just didn't fit in the tweet though. 

Oh I get the shoddy reporting angle. But I just found out that even if my kid gets it and survives then I still worry just as much for the foreseeable future. 

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh I get the shoddy reporting angle. But I just found out that even if my kid gets it and survives then I still worry just as much for the foreseeable future. 

Yeah, I totally get it. I think that there is continued fear mongering fed by the social media regulars, which distracts from the real areas we should actually focus on (wear your masks dumbasses). I see that tweet as aligning to those that want to undermine the efficacy of vaccine programs. There is also a political intersection there. Perhaps I am reading that wrong.  But the clicks and retweets. 

I picture Trump walking around Eli Lilly like Bill Burr described Steve Jobs walking around Apple.  
“Come on scientists...I don’t hear a lot of vaccine making going on in there!  Who got sick?  Who cares, we gotta get this done.  I gotta present this to the world on stage in two weeks.”

Edited by Lobo

More on the immunological response to SARS-COV2.

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/early/2020/09/03/jimmunol.2000839

Abstract

The scale of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) pandemic has thrust immunology into the public spotlight in unprecedented ways. In this article, which is part opinion piece and part review, we argue that the normal cadence by which we discuss science with our colleagues failed to properly convey likelihoods of the immune response to SARS-CoV-2 to the public and the media. As a result, biologically implausible outcomes were given equal weight as the principles set by decades of viral immunology. Unsurprisingly, questionable results and alarmist news media articles have filled the void. We suggest an emphasis on setting expectations based on prior findings while avoiding the overused approach of assuming nothing. After reviewing Ab-mediated immunity after coronavirus and other acute viral infections, we posit that, with few exceptions, the development of protective humoral immunity of more than a year is the norm. Immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is likely to follow the same pattern.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

When it comes to combating viruses, "Hit It Early and Hard" is the mantra.  That applies to altering population behavior as well as medical intervention.  Things that work early don't work so well, or at all, when started too late.  

It took 10 months for him to parrot it, even though he still doesn't fully get it, or recognize how badly he failed our country as a result.

White House cites herd immunity letter signed by Dr. Johnny Bananas

The White House has reportedly embraced a declaration by a group of scientists arguing for a “herd immunity” strategy to deal with America’s coronavirus pandemic—days after the validity of the declaration came under question due to a number of apparently fake names among its expert signatories, including “Dr. Johnny Bananas.” According to The New York Times, on a call convened Monday by the White House, two anonymous administration officials cited the petition, titled The Great Barrington Declaration, which argues that COVID-19 should be allowed to spread through the population. The declaration’s website claims the petition has been signed by more than 15,000 scientists, but, last week, Sky News found dozens of fake names on the list of medical signatories, including Dr. I.P. Freely, Dr. Person Fakename, and Dr. Johnny Bananas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1