CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

In hindsight, a national mask mandate starting March 1, with enthusiastic support from all elected officials, probably would have prevented well over 100,000 deaths and the pandemic would not have been nearly as life altering as it has been.  As it stands, other than keeping down mass gatherings and limiting capacity in bars/restaurants, mask mandates is probably the main thing we need.  Lockdowns could be limited to counties where hospital capacity is on pace to be strained.

Trump fucked this up so badly it seems intentional.  One unsurprising but little discussed point is the complete and utter lack of mention, by anyone in government, about using this pandemic to devise plans for dealing with future pandemics.

The problem is that Trump is completely incompetent to hold the job of President. He was lucky to get away with three years of not having to face a crisis but; when one eventually arose, of course he failed to respond. Born rich, went into the family real estate business, never really succeeded at anything other than being a "famous for being famous" Kardashian-style celebrity long before Kim made her sex tape. (And has since appeared in the Oval Office with Trump. Hello! Does anyone else see what's going on?)

The pandemic is beyond Trump's ability to comprehend. He's too stupid to understand any part of it. He's a showman. That's all he's qualified to do. Messaging is the only arrow in his quiver. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, on the baseball thread I avoided the topic, because I really just want to enjoy baseball when its on, and didn't want to come across as harassing the fans who celebrate their team's victory.

But Justin Turner, who I previously enjoyed watching play, well,  he sure pulled the ultimate asshole move, imo.

Pick your poison on the story source, but this tweet sums it up:

The manager he's sitting next to is a cancer survivor, btw.

Justin isn't alone in terms of Americans who put their own desires above the safety and lives of others.  But it is highly disappointing to see and read about.

Random reddit user expresses it well:

"This virus is really showing people’s mindsets when it comes to sacrificing self interest for the greater good. I understand the immense temptation but there are families on the field, other players, crews, people of all ages. They’re ALL going separate ways after this and could spread it easily or you’re now putting them in a quarantine situation. Asshole move

At the end of the day he knew he had a positive test and didn’t care about the concerns of spreading it to celebrate because his season was over and if he does indeed have it, so what, he can recoup at home cause there’s no more baseball. Who cares about those other peoples situations

Edit: the more I think about this the angrier I get. The league went to insane lengths to see to it that we had baseball this year. Players screaming let us play, etc. They did so much to protect players so that they could play, have the season and we could have SOME normal. And at the very end this dude just shits all over it on the biggest stage. Come on"

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So, on the baseball thread I avoided the topic, because I really just want to enjoy baseball when its on, and didn't want to come across as harassing the fans who celebrate their team's victory.

But Justin Turner, who I previously enjoyed watching play, well,  he sure pulled the ultimate asshole move, imo.

Justin isn't alone in terms of Americans who put their own desires above the safety and lives of others.  But it is highly disappointing to see and read about.

"This virus is really showing people’s mindsets when it comes to sacrificing self interest for the greater good. I understand the immense temptation but there are families on the field, other players, crews, people of all ages. They’re ALL going separate ways after this and could spread it easily or you’re now putting them in a quarantine situation. Asshole move

At the end of the day he knew he had a positive test and didn’t care about the concerns of spreading it to celebrate because his season was over and if he does indeed have it, so what, he can recoup at home cause there’s no more baseball. Who cares about those other peoples situations

Edit: the more I think about this the angrier I get. The league went to insane lengths to see to it that we had baseball this year. Players screaming let us play, etc. They did so much to protect players so that they could play, have the season and we could have SOME normal. And at the very end this dude just shits all over it on the biggest stage. Come on"

Not to mention, because of the title runs of both the Lakers and Dodgers, local health officials are saying that spikes in LA are largely attributable to fans gathering to watch and celebrate.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-lakers-dodgers-fans-likely-fueling-uptick-rise-19-los-angeles/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I wonder where some get their messaging to not take it seriously comes from.

My family still thinks covid will disappear after the election and its cause of Trump.

On random threads I'm starting to see a lot of posts about the 'death rate' being 'so low.' Rather unified message, not sure which outlet it is coming from.  A focus on survival rates, a downplaying of the severity.  I thought for a while those messages had decreased, but again the way they're being written suggests talking points from some place.

Imagine though, being a selfish covid asshole and looking at what Turner did to possibly expose at risk people and thinking, “yeah, but it was their first dodger World Series title in most of their lifetimes.  His emotions just took Over and he had to get in there with his teammates!”  And then think that’s the same thing as why you need to go to Applebee’s with your fat parents. 

i guess the country was always this stupid?

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

89126839-5B04-4198-969B-95B317D894F4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's almost as if people can't wrap their heads around two important concepts at one time:

-- highly contagious virus

-- moderate lethality once contracted

One thing is to be told you could be 1 out of every 1000 like the flu versus 1 out of 10 if you are old and have comorbidities. Folks know the numbers and will make decisions accordingly to either protect themselves or loved ones.  

39 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Why are they "going for herd immunity" when we're getting a vaccine in two weeks? Seriously asking and yeah I know they're stupid and all that, but there has to be at least some attempt at logic or strategy that they're going for; or they don't believe the vaccine is anywhere remotely close.

• Hook 'Em 1

so i haven't spent much time on this thread, but what's everyone's schedule for grabbing this vaccine?  will it be ready on election day, or maybe a sneak peak the night before, like how movie theaters do it?

in all seriousness, even though i was told there was a decent chance that one would be ready by election day, it seemed to be outrageous that i would even suggest one wouldn't be widely available by the end of the year.  so with that said, let me make a bold prediction - once trump loses the election, operation warp speed will neither be warpy nor speedy.

even though he's not supposed to have any influence over these govt agencies working with the pharma companies to get a vaccine ready, i kinda feel like a successful vaccine coming out right around the time biden is getting sworn in, is not exactly the look trump is going for.  i'm looking forward to them "slowing the testing vaccine down please."

is he that childish and petty?

yes.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so i haven't spent much time on this thread, but what's everyone's schedule for grabbing this vaccine?  will it be ready on election day, or maybe a sneak peak the night before, like how movie theaters do it?

in all seriousness, even though i was told there was a decent chance that one would be ready by election day, it seemed to be outrageous that i would even suggest one wouldn't be widely available by the end of the year.  so with that said, let me make a bold prediction - once trump loses the election, operation warp speed will neither be warpy nor speedy.

even though he's not supposed to have any influence over these govt agencies working with the pharma companies to get a vaccine ready, i kinda feel like a successful vaccine coming out right around the time biden is getting sworn in, is not exactly the look trump is going for.  i'm looking forward to them "slowing the testing vaccine down please."

yes.

I was at my oncologist's office recently and we talked about it in passing. He's not optimistic for this year a vaccine. I gathered that was for one he would trust for me to take. I am in a better place healthwise, probably the best in a long time so we (he and I) are being proactive about things under our control: flu shots, etc but he didn't seem to think that something like that was going to be available soon. I did hear that our soon-to-be retired representative is part of a trial but that's all I know.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

yes.

If you are 30-49 and otherwise healthy, expect to have access to a vaccine sometime next summer if all goes according to plan with the trials, manufacturing, and distribution.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

yes.

My hope is to have it in my veins by the 2021 masters. 

On 10/28/2020 at 1:04 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

I wonder where some get their messaging to not take it seriously comes from.

My family still thinks covid will disappear after the election and its cause of Trump.

I’ve heard the same from some deplorable “friends” of mine. All a conspiracy to get trump out. The news is just gonna stop talking about once Biden wins, according to theses people. These fucking people are going to kill us all

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Aggy is involved in producing it here in Texas.

I'm willing to wait and see how a rushed vaccine goes.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

If you are 30-49 and otherwise healthy, expect to have access to a vaccine sometime next summer if all goes according to plan with the trials, manufacturing, and distribution.

What level of daily alcohol consumption would qualify me as unhealthy?

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yes.

I think that we get a good interim read out in late Nov from PFE, and Dec from MRNA. EUA before end of year for PFE, shortly thereafter from MRNA. After that things get fuzzy, but we should have millions of doses available before EOY, and 100+ million by end of 1Q2021. Agree with timeframe of we should all be getting lined up by end of 2Q2021. I am pretty comfortable with the PFE and MRNA vax tech at this point, the post authorization surveillance networks are being built out, not going to be perfect but the FDA is engaging a lot of partners for ongoing safety assessments.  

Just now, HenryJames said:

spacer.png

LOL. Not that type of surveillance my friend.  Just the terminology that is used in the industry.  

But I do think that a fair number of folks would probably be shocked at the FDA Sentinel capabilities if they actually understood how that system could be deployed in an authoritarian state situation with bad actors at the helm.  

The latest spin I've seen from a few people who've been trying to downplay Covid since the beginning is "Where are all the positive flu tests?"  It looks like at the worst part of flu season in the winter of 2019 and early 2020 there were ~30,000 positive tests per week.  The current 7 day rolling average for Covid is ~77,000 per day, so you could take the worst week of flu season last year out of the Covid numbers and still see we have a huge problem unfolding.  But, it is odd what has happened to either flu testing or reporting for it to fall off a table like this.

According to this:  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm  there were 10,809 flu tests in the 42nd week of 2020 with only 33 positive tests - in the entire country.

spacer.png