CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

In theory, we could knock this shit out in 2 weeks. Simple in theory, difficult in practice, but it isn't rocket science.

Keep everybody home for 2 weeks. That means everybody, across the country, and of course that's the hard part. But after 2 weeks, any incubating cases will be resolved or identified, and they can be isolated; everyone else goes back to their lives. It's equivalent to universal testing and quarantining; the spread would be halted in its tracks. If there was the political will to do it (pretty big if).

What am I missing?

9 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

In theory, we could knock this shit out in 2 weeks. Simple in theory, difficult in practice, but it isn't rocket science.

Keep everybody home for 2 weeks. That means everybody, across the country, and of course that's the hard part. But after 2 weeks, any incubating cases will be resolved or identified, and they can be isolated; everyone else goes back to their lives. It's equivalent to universal testing and quarantining; the spread would be halted in its tracks. If there was the political will to do it (pretty big if).

What am I missing?

That a full third of our country is regarded. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Good read on the vax data...

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/09/vaccine-efficacy-data

Earlier this morning, Pfizer and BioNTech announced the first controlled efficacy data for a coronavirus vaccine. And the news is good.

You may recall that these vaccine trials are set up to get to a defined number of coronavirus cases overall, at which time the various monitoring committees lock the door and unblind the data to have a look at how things are going. Pfizer’s original plan (as mentioned in that post) was the most aggressive of them all – they were planning to take their first look once they hit 32 cases. But one of the things we learned from this morning’s press release is that the company and the FDA changed that, dropping the 32-case read in favor of a 62-case read. By the time they finished those negotiations, though, the number of cases had reached 94, so we actually have a much more statistically robust look than we would have otherwise. And the split between placebo-group patients and vaccine-arm patients is consistent with greater than 90% efficacy. That number will come into better focus, but I hope that we can continue to take 90% as the lower bound.

The final analysis of the trial is set for a 164-case level, and that should be reached sooner than we might have thought. The higher number of cases in this current readout is surely because the coronavirus pandemic is itself at the “uncontrolled spread” stage in much of the Northern hemisphere. Remember the worries about whether companies would have to move their trials around to find places where the disease was still spreading? Seems like a long time ago, and as things have worked out you can (unfortunately) run your vaccine trial pretty much anywhere you like.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/7/2020 at 3:55 PM, Anastasis said:

Lol. Political rallies/mass celebrations are so far down the fucking list when we are restricting people from funerals, family events, etc. 

Going to a funeral next weekend. Navy man. Full deal.  We’re attending as it will be outside, but the mass was indoors. No one restricting us, but us, in the state leading the nation in CV-19 infections. Perhaps there should be, don’t you think?

Masks and face shields for us. 

One of my neighbors came back from their lease early because the closest town is a mini hot spot. I should show them the Cruz tweet; they were all in on the 'hoax' idea in the spring, but reversed course over the summer when Texas got hit and are now steamed about the lack of prep and concern. I'm trying to turn on the light (w/o any smugness period) because I want Cruz out when his term expires. It is the teeny toothpicks under the nails strategy.

8 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Kyle Lamb is a tool. And for Ohio State fans to be unified around that fact, you know he's an UBER (driving) tool.

That's weird. I haven't heard that name in a while. I think he used to write about Buckeye football for The Ozone. Maybe Bucknuts? I can't be sure. It's hard to follow the evolution of all the different sites and writers covering tOSU sports. I can't say I ever really formed an opinion about his work either way. I didn't know he had gone full wackadoodle.