CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I heard they are free right now so the cruise ships can test their protocols.  Wanna know how I know that?  My sister told me my moronic parents were talking about going.  Keep in mind, my Aunt died of COVID in April, my uncle spent a week and a half in the ICU and recovered, and my BILs uncle is currently on a vent.

Serious case of 

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

@triplehorn, with all sincerity, this might be right up your head shrinker alley.  Let go of the HCQ dead end, and maybe pivot to supporting some of the quality research being planned with other agents.  Given the case loads right now, should be pretty easy to hit enrollment numbers.  Or just keep posting retrospective analyses out of India, whatever. 

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

Incorrect. They said it would end when Joe is elected president and we all know that didnt happen.

Is my sarcasm meter broken? 

https://time.com/5838104/eric-trump-coronavirus-disappear/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/11/11/trump-predicted-covid-covid-covid-would-end-after-the-election-its-worse-than-ever/?sh=2886d4486512

Posting another update on the scale of COVID deaths. We're at 241,000+ in the US, which is larger than the population of either Garland TX or Irving TX. Think about that next time you are driving around the metroplex. Drive through either city and imagine every single citizen dead. Tomorrow it will be Norfolk VA. By Thanksgiving we're on track for Buffalo. 

Well, cigarettes are contagious. 

Myriad levels of government have enforced a number of laws designed to protect people from second-hand smoke.  From filters to not being able to smoke within 15' of an entrance to a building to eliminating smoking on flights, buses, restaurants, all manner of small enclosed spaces.  Sound familiar Trumpers?  It's just fucking physics, the shit that comes out of your mouth, be it smoke exhales, Covid-19 particles, or Qanon theories...it tends to spread in the air around you, particularly in tight, indoor spaces.  To be fair to your dumbass H.S. classmate, the smoking crowd did sound a lot like the current Coronavirus Hoax crowd in that they both started out by yelling, "No Evidence!"  to "Okay, there's evidence, but we're all free to make our own health choices!" to "Okay, there's more evidence and it's also just a politeness thing, but I won't live in fear!"  

Just as a people must accept that they've been conquered, so to must a people learn they're fucking dumb.  Nothing wrong with being stupid.  You can still lead a productive life.  My half-sister is full-retard and is very happy, gainfully employed, and loves old movies and bowling.  Trumpers should identify with her (full disclosure, she voted for Biden).  

The above sequence is both encouraging, and horrifying.

They are right -- we can see some sort of finish line over the horizon.  We will have actual leadership.  Vaccines are proving to be effective, and there's a developing timeline for them to be administered in the next year.

But we're also in that horrible position that's like the "bonk" many runners feel at mile 20 of a marathon.  Your body and your will crash.  Partly driven by how much you've done, and partly driven by the knowledge that the end is just 6.2 miles away....it's tantalizingly close.  The last stretch of a marathon, actual or metaphorical, is the hardest, both physically and mentally.  It's when shit falls apart.  It's when your leadership (your brain, or your president) just fucking quits.  You've got to dig deep and finish based on pure will and discipline.  That's where we are as a country.  This is the bonk.

It's going to suck.  Hard.

But there's a finish line a few miles ahead.  We'll get there.  It's just going to suck, the whole way there.

• Hook 'Em 2

You know, is there even a single study in the US that has looked at taking this prophylactically for that use to be called ineffective?  I'm not aware of one. 
But on that note, Indian study out this week: Long term hydroxychloroquine prophylaxis has reduced infection by 90%  in this retrospective study of Indian healthcare workers (n=604). 800 mg on day 1 and 400 mg weekly thereafter.  (don't shoot the messenger).  Similar results are being observed for proph use of ivermectin which the US isn't really looking at either as far as I can tell.  However, being a vampire is probably Rudy's best protection.

Has there been a single study out there that proves that sucking my dick doesn’t prevent cancer? /wife has cancer. (Not really)
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is the kind of dumb shit we're up against. Posted by a guy I went to high school with. You can guess his political affiliation. 

Snip20201113_4.png

We have forced folks to smoke in the corners outside in wet and cold weather to get what they are exhaling away from the rest of us. That is all a mask is since we can't see those exhaling covid droplets.

12 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

We have forced folks to smoke in the corners outside in wet and cold weather to get what they are exhaling away from the rest of us. That is all a mask is since we can't see those exhaling covid droplets.

Just don't breathe inside, ya stupid lib

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I've had some good times in Buffalo. And I love their chicken wings. 

I spent a week outside of Buffalo in 2013 on a work trip.  Stayed downtown about a block from the Buffalo Bisons AAA stadium.  Looked them up to see if they had a game, and found out they were managed by a HS classmate of mine.  Most of the team lived in the hotel I was staying at, and so we had an impromptu reunion in the bar next door after the game.

DAMN, minor league ball players are young.  Half the guys had to sport the "X" on their hands just to get in the place.

The market doesn’t care about Covid now that a press release from Pfizer has been given that the vaccine will be here soon.

People don’t care because they don’t want to stop going out to drink beer in bars rather than preventing grandma from dying.

‘Fiscal conservatives’ don’t want to spend anymore $ and feel that the crunch that cities will feel when tax $ dries up is deserved.

Democrats are holding out with hopes that once this gets bad enough that Republicans will come to the table in good faith.

All of this adds up to needless deaths and eventual we have just become numb. 
We seriously do not care that 1000+ people are dying from this disease and it’s getting worse. It will literally take people dying on the steps of hospitals for people to take notice. We have lost our empathy and are ignoring the problem because it’s an inconvenient truth we don’t want to face. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

The market doesn’t care about Covid now that a press release from Pfizer has been given that the vaccine will be here soon.

People don’t care because they don’t want to stop going out to drink beer in bars rather than preventing grandma from dying.

‘Fiscal conservatives’ don’t want to spend anymore $ and feel that the crunch that cities will feel when tax $ dries up is deserved.

Democrats are holding out with hopes that once this gets bad enough that Republicans will come to the table in good faith.

We seriously do not care that 1000+ people are dying from this disease and it’s getting worse. It will literally take people dying on the steps of hospitals for people to take notice. We have lost our empathy and are ignoring the problem because it’s an inconvenient truth we don’t want to face. 

The prime definition of American Exceptionalism right here.

Sure, the pandemic is killing 100s of thousands of Americans, but the real concern is the immigrants...

So, I was laid off in May, hired by a different company in August.  When filling out the I-9, there is apparently a requirement for in-person verification of the citizenship documents - drivers license, passport, etc..  But, because the whole in-person things means more people dying, the HHS provided a 60 day relief for the in-person requirement in March, and has renewed it 4 times.  The last relief was in September, and it is now going to expire without any renewal.  So, anyone who has been hired in the last 8 months, but didn't do the in person verification is required to schedule an in-person appointment to verify their documents.  This, while the hospital capacity in my area is being overwhelmed.  

Fuck Trump, and fuck his shitty band of fucking racist assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Posting another update on the scale of COVID deaths. We're at 241,000+ in the US, which is larger than the population of either Garland TX or Irving TX. Think about that next time you are driving around the metroplex. Drive through either city and imagine every single citizen dead. Tomorrow it will be Norfolk VA. By Thanksgiving we're on track for Buffalo. 

Anyone know excess deaths estimate for the country? Interested to know if we're possibly actually touching 300-320k

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Never been happier to live in the liberal gulag that is Austin than right now, where do a better job than most places in the country in terms of masks/distancing/etc (though Halloween wasn't a great look). But it will get bad here again, too. The people who need an ICU bed but can't find one in their communities have to try to come somewhere.

57 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Anyone know excess deaths estimate for the country? Interested to know if we're possibly actually touching 300-320k

yes. the number everyone quotes is the conservative number.  the bottom of the estimate. check the csv file here.  it says the actual range is 242990 - 331985. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Nifty tool; don't recall it  being posted on this thread:

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu

COVID-19 Event Risk Assessment Planning Tool

This map shows the risk level of attending an event, given the event size and location.

The risk level is the estimated chance (0-100%) that at least 1 COVID-19 positive individual will be present at an event in a county, given the size of the event.

Based on seroprevalence data, we assume there are ten times more cases than are being reported (10:1 ascertainment bias). In places with more testing availability, that rate may be lower.

Choose an event size and ascertainment bias below.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

A few months ago I ran into a bar fly I see around local watering holes at a gas station. He guaranteed me this was all conspiracy and the second Biden was announced it’ll all go away. He said something like “look around! Do you see bodies out in the streets!?!?” I’m still wrapping my head around that thought