CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Gov. Gavin Newsom apologized Monday for visiting a Napa Valley restaurant with people from other households, saying his behavior contradicted the spirit of the safety guidelines and precautions he has asked Californians to adhere to during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I want to apologize to you because I need to preach and practice, not just preach and not practice, and I've done my best to do that," Newsom said. "We're all human. We all fall short sometimes."

Newsom acknowledged that the faux pas may result in a loss of his moral authority on the coronavirus as California experiences a major surge in cases. The governor discussed his own behavior on the same day that he announced a reversal of his reopening plans and ordered 28 counties to return to the purple tier — 94% of Californians will be under the state's most restrictive guidelines as of Tuesday.

The governor has been criticized in recent days following news of his attendance at the dinner party and that his children are back in school while millions of California schoolchildren and their families juggle distance learning with full-time jobs.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, the governor's most prominent GOP critic who has been urged by some in his party to challenge Newsom in 2022, condemed the governor in a Tweet last week, suggesting that he has been living a different life during the pandemic than his constituents.

"His kids can learn in person. But yours can't," Faulconer wrote. "He can celebrate birthday parties. But you can't. He can dine on a $350 meal at one of California's fanciest restaurants during the worst recession in generations. But you definitely can't. Can you believe this? I can't."

fuckin dumbass

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We can guillotine the Republicans twice then.

We have to stop excusing bad behavior because "it's not as bad". The elections are over. It's time to shift from politics as a team sport into being citizens and demanding accountability and responsibility from our politicians, regardless of party. If you guys plan to spend the next 2 and 4 years being party champions and not concerned citizens, that's your prerogative. That's not what I'll be doing.

Nope, we'll call out Gavin for his bullshit.  Because it's bullshit.  And he should answer for it, and address it.  Which he already has at least started to do.

Which, again, makes him different from any living Republican, who only double down on their bullshit.  So, yeah, degree fucking matters.  I don't call anyone an angel, because they're not.  I have a level of tolerance, and when you go outside that, you get called on it.  When you go FAR outside it, I'm done with you.  That's how I deal with any human relationship.  Because I'm fucking sane.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We can guillotine the Republicans twice then.

We have to stop excusing bad behavior because "it's not as bad". The elections are over. It's time to shift from politics as a team sport into being citizens and demanding accountability and responsibility from our politicians, regardless of party. If you guys plan to spend the next 2 and 4 years being party champions and not concerned citizens, that's your prerogative. That's not what I'll be doing.

"All politicians are scum and should die" is the exact opposite of demanding accountability from them. 

Nope, we'll call out Gavin for his bullshit.  Because it's bullshit.  And he should answer for it, and address it.  Which he already has at least started to do.
Which, again, makes him different from any living Republican, who only double down on their bullshit.  So, yeah, degree fucking matters.  I don't call anyone an angel, because they're not.  I have a level of tolerance, and when you go outside that, you get called on it.  When you go FAR outside it, I'm done with you.  That's how I deal with any human relationship.  Because I'm fucking sane.
What Newsom did should be "far outside of it".

Actions speak louder than words and what he did sends the same message that Donald Trump does. "Following restrictions isn't important". The intent behind it might be different but the end result is not very much different. His political career should be over. If you can't lead by example in a pandemic then you aren't fit to be a leader. It's disqualifying.

And he's not sorry he did it. He's sorry he got caught. Don't be naive.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

What Newsom did should be "far outside of it".

Actions speak louder than words and what he did sends the same message that Donald Trump does. "Following restrictions isn't important". The intent behind it might be different but the end result is not very much different. His political career should be over. If you can't lead by example in a pandemic then you aren't fit to be a leader. It's disqualifying.

And he's not sorry he did it. He's sorry he got caught. Don't be naive.

I'm not.  What he did was bad.  Materially so.  He should be called on it, and he needs to do a shitload to address it and mitigate the effects.  And whatever the case, it will remain a scar on his record.

But again......a GOP politician does shit like this 100 times as often, and often worse.....and nothing.  No consequences, no repercussions, never even an apology or admission of wrongdoing.  

If you try to field a football team made up of only straight-A students who have never had a disciplinary event on their school record from first grade on, and you are playing against the 1990 University of Miami team, you are going to get slaughtered, all day every day.

That doesn't mean that you follow the Miami model (hey, as long as he didn't murder someone TODAY, let him play!).  But it does mean that you apply a reasonable standard to leadership.  You hold them accountable.  Just doing that puts Dems a thousand miles ahead of the GOP, which has ZERO accountability, and is proud of it.

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanna bet?  Dig into any human's history -- I'll be able to find something to pillory them for.  Because humans.  I guarantee you that John Lewis fooled around on his wife, or cheated on his taxes one year, or something else.

Ah - they did bad things.  Doesn’t make them bad people.  Key distinction.  And I know you’re being sarcastic.  But people are losing their damn minds lately.  

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

You live long enough you'll realize most of the population are hypocritical shitbags.  From the micro level all the way to the top.  Shit, most teenagers think their parents are hypocritical shitbags.  

To an extent. Many parents seem that way, but most aren't actually. 

Follow what I say not what I currently do is hypocritical. 

But follow what I say not what I've done is not. Its learning from your mistakes. It doesn't really work as a parenting strategy but it isnt hypocritical. Teenagers, like their parents before them, are really only going to learn from their own mistakes. 

Newsom is a hypocrite for sure though.

For years I've railed on what ultimately came to be part of "cancel culture" -- in my world, it was the "one misstep and you're fired" culture.

The people can not reelect Newsom if that's how they feel about this.  Or, he could resign.  Or, he could not resign and go to the mat for masks and social distancing, using his own failure as an example of what not to do.  Or, he can do nothing more than what he has already done, apologize.

What he did showed a serious lapse of judgment.  Most people suffer from this malady now and again.  It was a really, really stupid move by a "leader", but I agree with Brisket -- there are degrees here, and this is way less heinous that what the Trump/Pence/Atlas team has done, along with the outright support of multiple governors and the tacit support of dozens of US legislators.

In short, "all politicians are scum, send them all to the guillotines" is a stupid fucking thing to say.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you try to field a football team made up of only straight-A students who have never had a disciplinary event on their school record from first grade on, and you are playing against the 1990 University of Miami team, you are going to get slaughtered, all day every day.

That doesn't mean that you follow the Miami model (hey, as long as he didn't murder someone TODAY, let him play!).  But it does mean that you apply a reasonable standard to leadership.  You hold them accountable.  Just doing that puts Dems a thousand miles ahead of the GOP, which has ZERO accountability, and is proud of it.

That's a really bad analogy. No offense, but it is. Academics have no bearing on whether someone is a good football player. I'm trying to field a football team full of players who are good football players, not guys who kill drives with avoidable 15 yard penalties. 

I'm not saying the Republicans aren't accountable. I'm not saying they're not worse than Democrats. It's dishonest that you keep trying to take it there. What I'm saying is that there are certain lines that once crossed should be disqualifying. Covid has caused millions to lose their jobs and countless businesses to fail. It is putting millions of healthcare and front-line workers at risk. It is bankrupting and killing people, largely because people can't be responsible and spend 12 months hanging out with their families around the house or in safe outdoor activities. When you're a politician advocating lockdowns and purportedly in a position of moral authority and you go contribute to the spread of Covid, and when you as the "moral authority" give off the impression that lockdowns aren't important, you've crossed that line.

Whatever Republicans do isn't material to this discussion. Politicians should be held accountable on an individual basis, not a sliding scale of morality or how many people they've endangered. One is one too many. It doesn't matter whether you just barely step over the "disqualifying" line or whether you ran past it, came back around and ran past it three more times. 

But anyway, still love all you guys and in the interest of ending this conversation, I hereby amend my original statement to "98% of politicians are scum and should be guillotined", so that you can all stop shitting your pants.

Edited by BradInATX

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For years I've railed on what ultimately came to be part of "cancel culture" -- in my world, it was the "one misstep and you're fired" culture.

The people can not reelect Newsom if that's how they feel about this.  Or, he could resign.  Or, he could not resign and go to the mat for masks and social distancing, using his own failure as an example of what not to do.  Or, he can do nothing more than what he has already done, apologize.

What he did showed a serious lapse of judgment.  Most people suffer from this malady now and again.  It was a really, really stupid move by a "leader", but I agree with Brisket -- there are degrees here, and this is way less heinous that what the Trump/Pence/Atlas team has done, along with the outright support of multiple governors and the tacit support of dozens of US legislators.

In short, "all politicians are scum, send them all to the guillotines" is a stupid fucking thing to say.

It’s really fucking stupid but if he walks the line from here on out he will likely be ok.  The SD Republican is from Trump’s camp on how you treat C19 and that’s not gonna fly in a statewide CA election.  But Gavin definitely needs to be called out.  Calling out a politician vs private citizens is different.  Some may consider it unfair but politicians signed up for this.  Tough it out, like others have said.  

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Slight aside: I've had a similar conversation with my 20-something daughter about ACAB. I know that acronym is great for spray painting and all where nuance isn't possible, but it's untrue and unhelpful. Why would a good person choose to be a cop, or politician, if your decency and actions are carelessly lumped in with bad actors? I'd tolerate Most Cops Are Bastards much better. Absolute statements should always give you pause.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, they are.

They are objectively worse.  I'm not beholden to the Democratic party by any means, though they tend to align with more of what I believe in is helpful for society.  That doesn't mean that I excuse them for everything because they are "my team".  Fuck that.  BUT to say that they are not objectively better than the current GOP is just flat out not true.

Pfizer CEO says that they hit the safety data threshold of 2m follow-up for half the people in their trial. EUA submission coming quickly, perhaps by end of the week.  Pretty fucking amazing to go from where we were in January to a vaccine rolling out in under a year. 
https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/17/pfizer-may-be-within-days-of-filing-emergency-authorization-request-for-covid-19-vaccine/

An interesting snippet...
Pfizer intends to offer vaccine to people who were randomly assigned to get a placebo injection in their Phase 3 trial; Bourla said the company has a “moral obligation” to the people who stepped forward to volunteer for the trial.
The FDA has been discouraging vaccine manufacturers from doing that preemptively, arguing that the trials should stay blinded — neither the participants nor the scientists who monitor them know who got vaccine and who got placebo — for as long as is practical to generate as much data out of the trials as possible. Bourla said Pfizer is in discussions with the FDA over when the vaccination of placebo arm participants can take place.
Wife unblinded herself and apparently got the Pfizer placebo. Good news.
  • Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

To an extent. Many parents seem that way, but most aren't actually. 

Follow what I say not what I currently do is hypocritical. 

But follow what I say not what I've done is not. Its learning from your mistakes. It doesn't really work as a parenting strategy but it isnt hypocritical. Teenagers, like their parents before them, are really only going to learn from their own mistakes. 

Newsom is a hypocrite for sure though.

It actually works pretty well compared to most alternatives. I took the "but you did it when you were my age!" attack out of my kids' playbook early by explaining that my goal for them as a parent and my expectation for them as people is for them to be better than I was and better than I am.

Turns out kids actually tend to listen better to an explanation that involves "I did it because I was stupid" better than you'd think. Probably because they're already inclined to think their parents are stupid. And once you admit that you did those stupid things you've now created a situation where if they do that same thing then the worst possible outcome in their minds is realized - they are just like their parents. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It actually works pretty well compared to most alternatives. I took the "but you did it when you were my age!" attack out of my kids' playbook early by explaining that my goal for them as a parent and my expectation for them as people is for them to be better than I was and better than I am.

Turns out kids actually tend to listen better to an explanation that involves "I did it because I was stupid" better than you'd think. Probably because they're already inclined to think their parents are stupid. And once you admit that you did those stupid things you've now created a situation where if they do that same thing then the worst possible outcome in their minds is realized - they are just like their parents. 

But dad, the only reason you had me is because you were fucking around in high school without a rubber. Was I a mistake?  Why do I need to wear condoms?  They don't feel good.  You never got AIDS either.  Plus I love Amber. I know she fucks Paul too, and she sometimes blows other guys for money, but we are gonna get married one day. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t spent any time on this particular thread, but now that my county is under a mask mandate I’ve learned through online comments that it is to identify the people that believe the election results. 

Definitely bodes well for vaccine compliance as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/18/health-care-worker-threats-coronavirus/?arc404=true

I don’t really know if I should be talking about all of this. It makes me worried for my safety. I’ve had strange cars driving back and forth past my house. I get threatening messages from people saying they’re watching me. They followed my family to the park and took pictures of my kids. How insane is that? I know it’s my job to be out front talking about the importance of public health — educating people, keeping them safe. Now it kind of scares me.

But people need to know what’s going on. It’s happening all over the country, and it’s not acceptable. I know we can do better. We have to do better.

I don’t base our whole response to this pandemic on my own opinion. That’s what makes the backlash so confusing. This job is nonpartisan. I’m not political in any way. I go off of facts and evidence-based science, and right now, all the data in Missouri is scary bad. We only have about 70,000 people in St. Francois County, but we’ve had more than 900 new cases in the last few weeks. Our positivity rate is 25 percent and rising. The hospital is already at capacity. They’ve basically run out of staff. We can’t keep up. It’s an uncontrolled spread. I have these moments when it feels like I’m a nurse at the bedside, and my patient is dying, and I’m trying every possible intervention to save them. More social distancing. More masks. More contact tracing. Warnings and more warnings. What else can we try? But in the end, it doesn’t matter how much you do. Nothing will work, because it almost seems like the patient is resisting your help.

I get the same comments all the time over Facebook or email. “Oh, she’s blowing it out of proportion.” “She’s a communist.” “She’s a bitch.” “She’s pushing her agenda.”

Okay, fine. I do have an agenda. I want disease transmission to go down. I want to keep this community safe. I want fewer people to die. Why is that controversial?

Spoiler

We weren’t set up well to deal with this virus in Missouri. We have the worst funding in the country for public health, and a lot of the things we’ve needed to fight the spread of covid are things we should have had in place 10 years ago. We don’t have an emergency manager. We don’t have anyone to handle HR, public information, or IT, so that’s all been me. We didn’t get extra funding for covid until last month. I’m young and I’m motivated, and I took this job in January because public health is my absolute love. It doesn’t pay well, but would I rather be treating people who already have a disease or helping to prevent it? That’s what we do. We help take care of people. At one point this summer, I worked 90 days straight trying to hold this virus at bay, and my whole staff was basically like that.

We hired 10 contact tracers to track the spread, starting in August, but the real problem we keep running into is community cooperation. We call everyone that’s had a positive test and say: “Hey, this is your local health department. We’re trying to interrupt disease transmission, and we’d love your help.” It’s nothing new. We do the same thing for measles, mumps, and tick-borne diseases, and I’d say 99 percent of the time before covid, people were receptive. They wanted to stop an outbreak, but now it’s all politicized. Every time you get on the phone, you’re hoping you don’t get cussed at. Probably half of the people we call are skeptical or combative. They refuse to talk. They deny their own positive test results. They hang up. They say they’re going to hire a lawyer. They give you fake people they’ve spent time with and fake numbers. They lie and tell you they’re quarantining alone at home, but then in the background you can hear the beeping of a scanner at Walmart.

I’ve stayed up a lot of nights trying to understand where this whole disconnect comes from. I love living in this county. I know in my heart these are good people, but it’s like we’re living on different planets. I have people in my own family who believe covid is a conspiracy and our doctors are getting paid off. I’ve done press conferences and dozens of Facebook Live videos to talk about the real science. Even with all the other failures happening, that’s the one thing we should be celebrating: better treatments, nurses and doctors on the front lines, promising news about vaccines. But the more I talk about the facts, the more it seems to put a target on my back.

“We’re tracking your movements.” “Don’t do something you’ll regret.” “We’ll protest at your house.”

The police here have been really great. The elementary school says they’re watching over my kids and they’re on high alert. I have a security system now at my house. I locked down my email and took all my family photos off of Facebook, but you start wondering: Is this worth it? Could anything possibly be worth it?

And then it got worse this fall around the whole masking issue. Our hospital was filling up, and they asked if we could do more in terms of prevention and masking. We put out a press release. We went to businesses and did trainings. We kept encouraging people to mask up, but it wasn’t working. Only about 40 percent were wearing masks, so the health board decided to push for a mask mandate. Of course I was for the idea. Of course it is the scientific, smart thing to do. But at the same time, I kept thinking: Is this going to blow up my life?

We held a public meeting in the auditorium. I knew it was going to be a circus. I gave my kids an extra hug that night and said the things you never want to have to think about. I asked the city: “Are you requiring masks in this building? Because this is a public health meeting, and that’s important.” They said yes. But, of course, the first person that walks in the door says: “I go to church here in this same building, and they don’t make me wear a mask.” So that ended up being an ordeal, and they decided to allow him in. I asked him: “Can you please, please, please social distance?” He told me no. It wasn’t: “I can’t.” It was: “Hell, no. I won’t.” It went downhill from there.

We had more than 100 people show up, and most of them spoke in opposition. We do get a lot of thank-you’s and support for our work, but those aren’t the loudest voices, so sometimes they get drowned out. Our medical providers were at the meeting in their white coats, and three of them stood up to speak on behalf of masks. These are doctors and nurses who risk their lives to treat this virus. They are shouldering the burden of this, but the crowd wouldn’t even let them talk. They booed. They yelled. Some of them had come in with guns. They were so disrespectful. I was trying to take notes for our board, and my hands started shaking. Why aren’t you listening? Why do you refuse to hear from the people who actually know about this disease and how it spreads?

The board decided to go ahead with the mandate anyway, but part of the community revolted. We did a survey a few weeks later, and mask-wearing had actually gone down by six percent. We required it, and people became more likely to do the opposite. How do you even make sense of that? We like to believe we take good care of each other here. This is rural Missouri. We pride ourselves on being a down-home community that sticks together, and now this is how we treat each other? This is who we are?

I don’t go out in public very much anymore. It’s work and then back home. I don’t want to be recognized. I don’t want my kids to see any of that hate. The one place where I had to draw the line was that my son plays baseball, and honestly, his games are the most normal I’ve felt all year. But then, a little while ago, somebody took a photo at a game of me with my daughter. We were outside and social-distanced, so we weren’t wearing masks. The photo got posted all over social media, and it was the usual comments. “Bitch.” “Communist.” “Hypocrite.” My daughter has had some anxiety. My son said to me: “Mom, why does everybody hate you?”

I went in to work the next day, and one of my nurses came to see me. She’d just had one of those nasty interactions on the phone, and she said: “I’m struggling right now. I need one of your little pep talks.” I told her: “I’m sorry, but I just don’t have it. I’m tired of this. I’m so exhausted.”

I’ve been living with that steady hum of tension and fear for almost a year, and I just can’t do it anymore. I keep saying my family is my number-one priority, so at some point I have to keep my kids safe. I decided to put in my notice earlier this month. My last day is this Friday.

I’ve already accepted another nursing job. I’m not abandoning the community. I’m going to keep fighting this pandemic, but I’d rather not say anything much more specific. I don’t want that target on my back. I’m ready to be anonymous.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

It takes a lot to be the biggest assholes in meat packing, and Tyson manages to get past the Batista brothers who managed to get indicted for corruption in Brazil, and fucking Cargill, and China owned Smithfield 

I’m gonna both sides this one. They all suck. All big ag needs to be broken up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

After the election, three Republican governors doing an about-face on mask wearing:

https://www.chron.com/news/article/The-Republican-governors-who-are-changing-their-15733832.php

As Ray Wylie says, "some get spiritual because they see the light and some because they feel the heat."

If there was ever a measurement how how stupid the republican base is and how spineless it’s politicians are, this is it. These people are so fucking dumb that GOP governors made policy decisions that will have directly caused the spread of sickness and death simply because doing so got them votes.

I mean, we already knew both of those things, but to see it spelled out so plainly is even more disgusting than I expected it to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1