Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

What's weirder:  the grown men who relentlessly carry Joe Rogan's water, or the ones who relentlessly carry Dave Portnoy's?

I'd probably argue the Portnoy brown nosers, but only because I think he's a huge piece of shit.  While I'm disappointed with Rogan's turn into right wing disinformation spreading, he otherwise seems like a pretty decent guy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What's weirder:  the grown men who relentlessly carry Joe Rogan's water, or the ones who relentlessly carry Dave Portnoy's?

I'd probably argue the Portnoy brown nosers, but only because I think he's a huge piece of shit.  While I'm disappointed with Rogan's turn into right wing disinformation spreading, he otherwise seems like a pretty decent guy.

They both suck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What's a bigger fallacy:  building up an imaginative strawman to beat down ("haha joe rogan is not an economist/researcher/virologist/surgeon/statistician"); or characterizing anyone who disagrees with you as a waterboy ("mack brown was the worst coach ever" .. "he won a championship" .. "haha you carry water for mackbrown")

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

what substantiates the claim of racism and misogyny?

Well you could just Google Dave Portnoy misogyny and racist and see for yourself.

It's all out there.  I found these two links in about 15 seconds.

E.g., https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/barstool-sports-dave-portnoy-racist-language-videos-1234693013/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-barstool-sports-culture-of-online-hate-they-treat-sexual-harassment-and-cyberbullying-as-a-game

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

What's a bigger fallacy:  building up an imaginative strawman to beat down ("haha joe rogan is not an economist/researcher/virologist/surgeon/statistician"); or characterizing anyone who disagrees with you as a waterboy ("mack brown was the worst coach ever" .. "he won a championship" .. "haha you carry water for mackbrown")

The way people fall over backwards to defend these guys is odd to me.  Even when I was still ostensibly a Rogan fan, it never struck me to passionately defend him.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The way people fall over backwards to defend these guys is odd to me.  Even when I was still ostensibly a Rogan fan, it never struck me to passionately defend him.

is it possible to take a position on something based on its merits without passionate emotional attachment to its subject?

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

is it possible to take a position on something based on its merits without passionate emotional attachment to its subject?

You've admitted to not knowing what Joe has said about the things he's being criticized for, so it's kind of impossible for you to take a position on the merits here.

11 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

juvenile, audacious, provocative, and vindictive?  absolutely. 

misogyny or sexist?  for his unchecked manners, sure.

but racist?  based on charges like these?  (the actual lyrics to actual song)... yeah, in 2000s everything is construed as racist so i guess why not?

In another resurfaced video, Portnoy chants along to Ja Rule’s “Livin’ It Up,” saying “To all my n—–s I’ve been livin’ it up… It’s going to be hit after hit.”

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Sure, but I see a whole lot of people roll into online debates about these guys saying things like "they make more money than you do" and shit like that.  And for a stranger on the internet to feel compelled to say shit like that, it's the definition of water carrying cuckery.

I'm not accusing you of this specific behavior, by the way.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sure, but I see a whole lot of people roll into online debates about these guys saying things like "they make more money than you do" and shit like that.  And for a stranger on the internet to feel compelled to say shit like that, it's the definition of water carrying cuckery.

I'm not accusing you of this specific behavior, by the way.

yeah, that would be a very flimsy argument, but one that i havent seen  much.  i know you have a good basis to form an opinion, but a lot of the other voices to the dog pile are tantamount to "bro == bad"..... which is just about par for the internet

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

but racist?  based on charges like these?  (the actual lyrics to actual song)... yeah, in 2000s everything is construed as racist so i guess why not?

That was the least racist thing in the article.  Check the comments about Kaepernick and Bin Laden.

Dave Portnoy seems like one of the biggest douche bags alive.  I really don't understand what people like in that guy, and I find some of the Barstool stuff funny.  He just seems like a giant fuck stick who deserves to get his ass absolutely whooped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Did you just ignore this

In a 2016 segment about former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem, Portnoy says, “So I’m going to say something that’s racist,” explaining he thought Kaepernick was “an ISIS guy… Throw a head wrap on this guy, he’s a terrorist.” Portnoy adds, “He looks like a Bin Laden. That’s not racist.” Barstool’s Kevn “KFC” Clancy comments that Kaepernick “is not really that Black… I don’t think he speaks for Black people.”

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Do you just ignored this

In a 2016 segment about former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem, Portnoy says, “So I’m going to say something that’s racist,” explaining he thought Kaepernick was “an ISIS guy… Throw a head wrap on this guy, he’s a terrorist.” Portnoy adds, “He looks like a Bin Laden. That’s not racist.” Barstool’s Kevn “KFC” Clancy comments that Kaepernick “is not really that Black… I don’t think he speaks for Black people.”

Yes, yes he did.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

He's just making edgy jokes.  Nothing to see here.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Do you just ignored this

It's right in line with the dormroom humor of his brand, which means its in poor taste and ill advised for basically anyone in the world to express.

But you are convinced this represents his racist nature?  A belief in racial superiority and discriminatory actions based on such beliefs?

It's off-color, but making fun of peoples looks (hello Spencer Rattler) and terrorist-adjacent jokes are all over this fucking board.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That was the least racist thing in the article.  Check the comments about Kaepernick and Bin Laden.

Dave Portnoy seems like one of the biggest douche bags alive.  I really don't understand what people like in that guy, and I find some of the Barstool stuff funny.  He just seems like a giant fuck stick who deserves to get his ass absolutely whooped.

Does it really surprise you that someone who really likes Rogan would like Portnoy as well?  Those are two of the leaders of bro culture.

Just now, 52-80 said:

It's right in line with the dormroom humor of his brand, which means its in poor taste and ill advised for basically anyone in the world to express.

But you are convinced this represents his racist nature?  A belief in racial superiority and discriminatory actions based on such beliefs?

It's off-color, but making fun of peoples looks (hello Spencer Rattler) and terrorist-adjacent jokes are all over this fucking board.

Nice hand wave 

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Did you just ignore this

This doesn't even make any sense, let alone the fact that it's racist as fuck.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Nice hand wave 

The guy is purveyor of crude toilet humor and an edgelord.

But, sure, he probably has deep seated animosity against POC and hates kittens, too.  If that's the hypersensitive lens through which you view life, your prerogative.

Just now, 52-80 said:

But, sure, he probably has deep seated animosity against POC and hates kittens, too.  If that's the hypersensitive lens through which you view life, your prerogative.

Edgelord?  Is he a D&D character?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I don't care enough about him to be convinced of anything.  Occam's razor suggests that he's both racist and misogynistic.  Your perspective seems to require I assume he makes these jokes while not bearing some belief supporting them.  

Edited by DDD Dad

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

In my experience, people who purvey crude toilet humor tend to have views consistent with those types of jokes.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don't care enough about him to be convinced of anything.  It seems like a much larger logical leap to deny that he might harbor misogynistic and racist views just because he uses dormroom humor to make money rather than conclude that where there's smoke there's probably fire too.

So.. you dont know enough about a person, but if they employ crude humor, it's racist-until-proven-innocent?

I've literally never visited Barstool and don't follow the guy, but I know he's a very public and outspoken figure.  And if from thousands of archived tweets and blog posts this very-poor-dig at Kaepernicks appearance is evidentiary racism, the real meaning of racism itself has been bashed to all hell.

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

So.. you dont know enough about a person, but if they employ crude humor, it's racist-until-proven-innocent?

I've literally never visited Barstool and don't follow the guy, but I know he's a very public and outspoken figure.  And if from thousands of archived tweets and blog posts this very-poor-dig at Kaepernicks appearance is evidentiary racism, the real meaning of racism itself has been bashed to all hell.

So a guy makes a lot of racist jokes and you think the natural conclusion is to think he harbors no racist views?  OK. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I've literally never visited Barstool and don't follow the guy

This is the second guy that you're sticking up for on this thread that you don't really follow or know what the controversy is surrounding him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It's amazing how you've never listened to any of portnoys stuff, but when presented with several different examples across several years of his racist """jokes""", you jump to his defense. It could almost lead one to believe that you share his views and think they're a-ok

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So a guy makes a lot of racist jokes and you think the natural conclusion is to think he harbors no racist views?  OK. 

Let's be very specific.  "A lot of racist" jokes , which are?

A 2020 article cited as evidence of his racism, can muster from all his decade+ (?) of being a vocal, targeted public figure: (1) a 2016 episode of him comparing the appearance of KP to OBL... and (2) him reciting a rap song.

This (linked from said article) is the smoking gun?

Racist isnt a light charge to make but if thats all it takes...

2 minutes ago, Genco said:

This is the second guy that you're sticking up for on this thread that you don't really follow or know what the controversy is surrounding him.

He only sees the good in people, which is why he knows nothing about Portnoy and Rogan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Genco said:

You completely misunderstood or intentionally falsify my position so I'll restate it unequivocally:

-I know exactly who Joe Rogan the figure is.  I've watched the UFC years. 

-I listened to something like 30 of his podcasts in full, and maybe another 20 in part.  Enough to get decent sense of his what podcast is about in messaging, content, intent, etc.  This is way less than AL4ISU, but certainly more than most of you.

-I know broadly who Portnoy is -- because the overlap of PENN stock (S&P 500 company), sports, and online culture makes his brand unavoidable.  The same way I know who Justin Verlander is, though i've haven't seen a baseball game since 2005.

Now why would you think there's any of that anybody would even need to hide?

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's like anything somebody chooses must become wholly attached to their identity. One doesn't just listen to Rush (DRIP) or Rome or Stern; one becomes a mujahadeen for them. 

I vote Dem, but I don't really like calling myself a Democrat because it really doesn't define me very well. Being a Longhorn is more informative and that's still pretty general. I don't lose my shit if someone says they really hate UT.

I don't believe it's always been like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

-I listened to something like 30 of his podcasts in full, and maybe another 20 in part.  Enough to get decent sense of his what podcast is about in messaging, content, intent, etc.  This is way less than AL4ISU, but certainly more than most of you.

Prior to Rogan going off the far right conspiracy deep end (so like 2015/6) he tended to have loads of fascinating and interesting guests on his show. He hasn't been doing that for some time. He sets up shop for other grifters and loonies to come on and further spread their message. I've listened to loads of Rogan but not for some time. If you're assuming he's the same person hosting the same show, that's why you're getting dogpiled

Edited by Captainant

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Prior to Rogan going off the far right conspiracy deep end (so like 2015/6) he tended to have loads of fascinating and interesting guests on his show. He hasn't been doing that for some time. He sets up shop for other grifters and loonies to come on and further spread their message. I've listened to loads of Rogan but not for some time. If you're assuming he's the same person hosting the same show, that's why you're getting dogpiled

Judging from his rabid defense of Dave Portnoy, I don't think that's what he's assuming.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

They both suck.

16 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

White knighting for (checks notes) Dave fucking Portnoy.  Classic Surly.

And we come full circle.  Somehow (1) it's very righteous thing to signal being above popular figures, even though <1hr ago (2) you totally "don't care enough" about said figures.

Hey guys, isn't Kanye West just THE WORST????

Barstool/Portnoy are harmless and people digging up clips of bullshitting around behavior to make a point out of context are the worst of social media. 

The blog used to be great but everyone started doing podcasts and now the comment section is nothing but 18-35 year old Breitbart commenters. 

Edited by StassneyHorn

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Hey guys, isn't Kanye West just THE WORST????

...yes? He's an insufferable narcissist with mental health issues that's enabled by his menagerie of handlers and yes-men. He has some good music, but fuck man, at what cost? Not sure what point you're trying to make here. Are you arguing that kanye is an icon of (((the cabal))) or something?

maxresdefault.jpg

Your judgement really is something. Or you're just a lazy and intellectually dishonest troll.

3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Barstool/Portnoy are harmless and people digging up clips of bullshitting around behavior to make a point out of context are the worst of social media.

the irony that this is castigated as a millenial thing but now it's a bunch of grown men doing it