Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Well, I appreciate Neil's stand here, but let's be honest...he's sacrificing Tens of dollars in royalties from Spotify. 

I think he'll be ok.

Neil Young Net Worth: Neil Young is a Canadian singer-songwriter and musician who has a net worth of $200 million

24 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Joe Rogaine is brighter than Canadian Jordan Peterson.  And Joe ain’t that bright unless he is stoned and occasionally stumbles on a vein of wisdom. 

I am serious about Peterson. He’s got the grift down to a science.

And did I mention he is Canadian?

Yeah he’s essentially a modern day Michel Foucault on coke.

• Haha 1

A lighter toned black person being labeled black is not weird you dumbfucks. It’s a categorization of a group of people based on phenotype. We do this because humans are simple and don’t have the time or the mental capacity to categorize every shade of skin type. You’re not breaking new ground. Put down the bong and read a book. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bravo said:

/csb This reminds me when I was 18 or 19. I was home from school for the weekend. My dad had this horrible new wife. She was a fucking disaster and I felt bad for my younger brother having to live with this crazy person. Well, that night when I got home this lady went off on me for who knows what. I tell her dont talk to me and I wont talk to you and Ill be gone Sunday. Later that night I hear her yelling at my dad its your kids or me! My dad goes this is easy. Get the fuck out. Never saw her again. Maybe the proudest I've ever been of my dad.

None of this is real.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Actually, according to the Sherwin Williams Index 5.2, Donald Trump's true tone is Angry Hemorrhoid.

That's pretty close.  I would say, and it doesn't have a name, but whatever the color is when you crush up pennies and blend it with the stool of someone on a 100% flour tortilla diet.

39 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Truly the dumbest, most least deserving dipshits are exalted by the right wing and the idw. This clip is appalling.

Not even appalling to me. I expect this kind of talk from those two.

Wanna know why Jordan Peterson rose to prominence? Some people heard him talk and they’re like “oh look, an apologist for the status quo and a hater of Karl Marx that speaks in polysyllabic terms. I like him. He’s wise!”

16 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Not even appalling to me. I expect this kind of talk from those two.

Wanna know why Jordan Peterson rose to prominence? Some people heard him talk and they’re like “oh look, an apologist for the status quo and a hater of Karl Marx that speaks in polysyllabic terms. I like him. He’s wise!”

The first time I heard Jordan Peterson on Rogan, he had a fairly thoughtful segment laid out and I thought "maybe this guy isn't as bad as people say", and then I listened to each subsequent appearance and he just got crazier, and crazier, and crazier.

He was where I really started to wonder about what the hell they were doing with this podcast when he kept going on and on about how in Canada you can be jailed for "misgendering" someone (not calling them by their preferred pronoun).  This is 100%, abjectly false.  But he kept beating that drum and Rogan just went along with "wow, that's crazy.  What's this world coming to?" shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The first time I heard Jordan Peterson on Rogan, he had a fairly thoughtful segment laid out and I thought "maybe this guy isn't as bad as people say", and then I listened to each subsequent appearance and he just got crazier, and crazier, and crazier.

He was where I really started to wonder about what the hell they were doing with this podcast when he kept going on and on about how in Canada you can be jailed for "misgendering" someone (not calling them by their preferred pronoun).  This is 100%, abjectly false.  But he kept beating that drum and Rogan just went along with "wow, that's crazy.  What's this world coming to?" shit.

Jordan Peterson had serious depression and other issues, got addicted to benzos, had a breakdown and then went to Moscow and Belgrade for experiential treatments.  He says they worked.

That’s not to make light of his health issues or mental illness, just to contextualize what has happened to him since he wrote some fairly brilliant stuff early on. 

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

That is it. His audience of 11M per episode except for football would be the most viewed program on TV and even there it beats a lot of NFL games. His show is collectively the viewership of the 3 moron cable news channels. That freaks people out. 

Which is a reflection of how dumb a large segment of our population has become, which freaks people out.

Ideally, the floor of our education would produce enough critical thinking for anyone exposed to Rogan to understand he is dumb and then not watch him.  Sadly, our floor is lower than that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Which is a reflection of how dumb a large segment of our population has become, which freaks people out.

Ideally, the floor of our education would produce enough critical thinking for anyone exposed to Rogan to understand he is dumb and then not watch him.  Sadly, our floor is lower than that

I think the real line being crossed is that rogan isn’t viewed or labeled as entertainment by his viewership, he’s parroted as a credible source of solid information and today’s current events. A large part of that is how he tries to present himself over the last ~year after years of just being the jackass stoner comic who seemed to legitimately just asking questions that resonated with a similar demographic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Truly the dumbest, most least deserving dipshits are exalted by the right wing and the idw. This clip is appalling.

These guys always come back around to race science. Give it two weeks and Rogan will be asking why phrenology has been cancelled.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bravo said:

what's weird is if you polled his viewers/listeners their politics would be all over the place and definitely it would skew younger than the avg demo for trash cable news.

5 years ago (hell, 3 years ago) this would be accurate.  I would bet today it's like 80% right wingers.  Those listeners might not identify as right wing, but that would be their likely political affiliation if you look at their actual positions.

Other than pot, of course.

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

That is it. His audience of 11M per episode except for football would be the most viewed program on TV and even there it beats a lot of NFL games. His show is collectively the viewership of the 3 moron cable news channels. That freaks people out. 

Well yeah. Nobody cares about the idiot that stands in front of the Alamo lecturing passers by about hellfire and the end of the world. He’s not making a difference. 
Rogan’s idiocy has a wide audience- hence it is more dangerous. 

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

Hang on just a goddamn minute

Just what the fuck makes you think we have a floor?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Look, I'm an old fart.  I remember when absolutely batshit insane, irrational, and detached-from-reality-and truth "pamphlets" were how people indulged in this shit.  I went to gun shows and similar events 30-40 years ago, and occasionally, there were some "fringe-y" types around, or some guy's table also had a stack of "newsletters" about how the illuminati were hiding proof of aliens and having perverse sex with them along with JFK who was actually still alive and tag-teaming the still-alive Marilyn with Elvis (I'm not saying I picked up a newsletter to read that particular story, but I'm also not saying I didn't).  

Small point of order, but the batshit to which you refer asserted Janis Joplin, not Marilyn Monroe. 

But their distribution was......limited.  The nutbars reached.....dozens of people.

Right and we still regard people that way. After we left the State Fair at the 2018 Texas-OU game, we saw on the corner of Cullum and Lipscomb (Grand) a couple of hyper Christian douchebags holding up enhanced photos of aborted fetuses and they were waxing moronic about liberalism/communism/atheism and how “they” all want to do that to their precious Christian babies. Some dude walking behind me just yelled out “FAKE NEWS!!!” and that was basically it. So yeah, the filter through which batshit should be collected is still there but it’s really breaking down.

I didn't worry about these ideas when they were only communicated among a few dozen gullible morons.  Now that the gullible morons have a common source, and have become the largest single "information consuming" audience in the country....yeah, it's fucking troubling.

And it’s also dishonest as hell to attribute the reason that people are troubled by this as having anything to do with this make believe and pretend “jealousy” of guys like Rogan that we really don’t have.

Would I like to have a podcast with as many viewers as he does? Never really thought about it. It’s certainly not an ambition of mine.

Would I like to have a podcast with that many viewers because I constantly spew bullshit (or freely let my guests do same)? Fuck off with that shit.

The motherfuckers saying that shit are making a transparent, horrific, bad faith attempt at psychoanalysis. I used a word a couple days ago to describe such people, but that’s what they really are: ultracrepidarians. They are giving opinions about subjects that far exceed the scope of their knowledge. They ain’t about that life.

So when people come along and say “you’re just jealous of Joe Rogan,” I attach as much value to that as I attach to the dust in my vacuum.

So, let's continue the conversation hpslugga and brisket are having to a logical conclusion:

-Concerned/Mad because Joe Rogan allegedly is a bad/misinformation actor

-Concerned/Mad because he has a massive platform to influence 

So what are the action items in your mind to limit the concerns and issues that you guys seem to have? You guys already don't listen to the show so boycotting won't work. Support Neil Young and buy a bunch of his music? Write angry letters to Spotify?

Beyond making fun of his 11mm listeners on the internet, what do you think is a good (and legal) idea to water down his appeal and influence?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

So, let's continue the conversation hpslugga and brisket are having to a logical conclusion:

-Concerned/Mad because Joe Rogan allegedly is a bad/misinformation actor

-Concerned/Mad because he has a massive platform to influence 

So what are the action items in your mind to limit the concerns and issues that you guys seem to have? You guys already don't listen to the show so boycotting won't work. Support Neil Young and buy a bunch of his music? Write angry letters to Spotify?

Beyond making fun of his 11mm listeners on the internet, what do you think is a good (and legal) idea to water down his appeal and influence?

Fix our education system

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

Why is it impossible?

I said nearly impossible, FYI, but that aside-- it's a political blackhole and there seems to be very little agreement on what needs to be fixed and how to fix it, without raising already high taxes that fund public school. What is waste, what is working, what do you optimize? All these are big issues and problems and I contend that whatever team can "fix education" should earn a Nobel Peace Prize. It's that big, thorny and hard of a problem to solve.

That said, it doesn't help to just be glib and say "fix education" without any acknowledgment to how crazy it is to think you can just call a couple of meetings, sign a few orders and boom, it's fixed. No more society where a guy like Joe Rogan is a thought leader with a massive platform adored by 11mm people. You are either insanely ignorant or arguing in bad faith.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I said nearly impossible, FYI, but that aside-- it's a political blackhole and there seems to be very little agreement on what needs to be fixed and how to fix it, without raising already high taxes that fund public school. What is waste, what is working, what do you optimize? All these are big issues and problems and I contend that whatever team can "fix education" should earn a Nobel Peace Prize. It's that big, thorny and hard of a problem to solve.

That said, it doesn't help to just be glib and say "fix education" without any acknowledgment to how crazy it is to think you can just call a couple of meetings, sign a few orders and boom, it's fixed. No more society where a guy like Joe Rogan is a thought leader with a massive platform adored by 11mm people. You are either insanely ignorant or arguing in bad faith.

It isn’t glib to say our education system should be fixed.

You should probably first dispel with your requirement that we not increase revenue for education.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

It isn’t glib to say our education system should be fixed.

You should probably first dispel with your requirement that we not increase revenue for education.  

Okay GW, it appears we are just too far apart to have a conversation so allow me to gracefully bow out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3