Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

The only podcasts I listen to short form news ones like The Daily (NY Times) and NPR's Up First, and then some golf-related ones (Golfer's Journal, Fried Egg, NLU).  

I listen to Gladwell's Revisionist History from time to time on road trips....but even then, I'm smart enough to tease out his agenda (when it's a topic that lends itself to such things), and to think about the data points he's NOT considering in reaching his conclusions.  

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the idiots who are not getting the vaccination based on the opinions of a idiot like Rogan are exactly the people who I want to get covid. fuck arguing with him. i'm encouraging his ass to dig a bigger trench. in the last 2 years, cemeteries are filled with people who would follow Rogan's advice. I'm perfectly Ok with that.

The problem is they didn't just harm or kill themselves as a result of listening to his stupidity. Much more often than not, they ended up fine but hurt or killed others.

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You believe that wanting to take your chances against the virus only affects you. Which is not true, and has been proven over and over again to be false for 2 years but the same people keep repeating it. I wonder why

You believe that taking your chance against the virus means that you are directly and cold-bloodedly a murderer and by sharing a selfish opinion that he'd rather take his chances with the virus rather than get a vaccine is akin to telling people to drink bleach and kill themselves. I wonder why.

• Fuck You 3

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good.

So, what we're arguing about is NOT so much the tool being brought to bear (pressure on a private outfit to not provide him a platform), but rather whether his activities are dangerous enough to merit bringing that tool to bear.  That's a particular and specific conversation.

Anyone with a lick of sense agrees that it's permissible and appropriate to use private pressure to push people/businesses to not give dangerous/hateful merchants of bullshit a platform.  Now, we're just arguing about whether Joe Rogan's bullshit-selling is sufficiently harmful to merit such treatment.

Personally, I don't think it's dangerous enough to merit a push for full de-platforming.  I DO think that there can and should be a push to him directly to be more responsible, and to be more cautious about amplifying things that can and do actually hurt people (sorry, but the data is clear -- encouraging people not to get vaccinated, and instead take vitamins and ivermectin, gets people killed -- the unvaxxeed, when infected, are dying at much higher rates than vaxxed).  He should perhaps invite someone on to discuss risk analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and how people are generally not very good at it  Joe would then find out he's not very good at it.  And maybe his audience would as well.  I think that would be a fantastic outcome.

How you follow up such an insane post with an insane analogy with this post which is actually quite brilliant (mostly because I 100% agree), blows my mind. The duality of man, the two sides of a Brisket.

Edited by TurkeyChew

34 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

The right answer is to have these folks that disagree with him to get on his podcast and call his ass out. Of course people are going to dig when you are condescending towards them. How can people that are so educated suck so badly at predicting human behavior? 

the past several years have taught us that pushing back against this shit with facts does not win people over.  quite the opposite, in fact.  it typically causes them to dig in harder on their beliefs.

i would imagine most rogan fans would absolutely love so-called-experts to come on his show and try to convince joe he's wrong, so they can pile on, dunk on him/her, and laugh them out of the room.

but what do i know, i suck so badly at predicting human behavior.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I listen to Gladwell's Revisionist History from time to time on road trips....but even then, I'm smart enough to tease out his agenda (when it's a topic that lends itself to such things), and to think about the data points he's NOT considering in reaching his conclusions.  

Man, of all the history podcasts you waste your time on Gladwell?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

But seriously, of course trying to get Rogan taken off Spotify is the wrong answer. The right answer is to have these folks that disagree with him to get on his podcast and call his ass out. Of course people are going to dig when you are condescending towards them. How can people that are so educated suck so badly at predicting human behavior? 

Rogan isn't knowingly going to have guest on that can run circles around him and call his BS. There was a recent clip on a guest doing exactly that, fact checked him mid show and he dismissed it... doubt that guest will ever be invited back.

I don't listen to this douche bag, never liked him but lets not pretend he's not doing all this to make money. More controversy, more listeners, more money, stir the pot human lives be damned

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bravo said:

You don't see the irony of Stern who moved to a private platform to escape censorship to call for the censorship of Rogan on a private platform? Old Howard I'm telling you would've never done that. No way in hell. He would've just said don't fucking listen to him then. 

I see three professional attention whores getting the attention of a whole lot of wanna be attention whores.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

You want him censored or no? 

already regretting quoting this, but here is the basic problem with the current gop.  it's what i call "the leap", at least when i'm arguing with the wife.  i'm sure there's a technical or clinical term for it.

one side says x, we have a problem with x, we need to do x.  the other side freaks out and says, omg, how could you possibly want to do y?

too many shootings.  we need to have a better background check system and go back to limiting certain types of assault rifles.  response: they're coming to take all your guns.  sigh.  i get it.  overreaction gets the big headline and riles up the base.  but it's tired and reductive.

nobody is calling for censorship here.  this is a pretty honest big-picture discussion about what happens when a guy with a really big megaphone is not only allowing, but promoting dangerous behavior in the time of a pandemic that has killed a million people in this country and countless others around the globe.  it's a problem, and problems call for solutions, or at the very least, open dialogue.

stop making this binary.  stop making it seem like we're all saying fuck joe rogan, let's censor his ass.  i haven't read every post, but i've seen pretty much nobody calling for that.

we're discussing x.  get the fuck out of here with y.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

Rogan isn't knowingly going to have guest on that can run circles around him and call his BS. There was a recent clip on a guest doing exactly that, fact checked him mid show and he dismissed it... doubt that guest will ever be invited back.

You are correct that he's too much of an intellectual midget and a pussy to invite one of his critics on his show because he knows he will get smashed to pieces, but he probably will with Szeps because Szeps has defended Rogan publicly and they're friends. Also, Szeps didn't even go hard in the paint and dunk on him, he just stated facts and backed it up. The important takeaway that his defenders seem to be missing is Rogan's willingness to push back against factually correct claims wrt covid vaccines and bloviate his misinformed nonsense and pull up Google for proof but when a dipshit fraud intellectual like Jordan Peterson comes on his show with transparent inanities like "climate is EVERYTHING and NOTHING" and "he's not black" and Rogan just sits there and nods "riiiiight right right."

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They’re short brain candy. I generally don’t have time to listen to long-form podcasts. Frankly, most of my longer road trips are full of long client calls.

Most episodes of the Revolutions podcast are only around 30 minutes. Of course, the current season on the Russian revolution is now at [checks notes] 83 episodes. That won't take THAT long. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the idiots who are not getting the vaccination based on the opinions of a idiot like Rogan are exactly the people who I want to get covid. fuck arguing with him. i'm encouraging his ass to dig a bigger trench. in the last 2 years, cemeteries are filled with people who would follow Rogan's advice. I'm perfectly Ok with that.

You're acting that'll die from it. Most of his watchers average at 24.

90 percent of my job is driving and since I cancelled XMSirius my latest rabbit hole is going thru the archives of Karina Longworth's You Must Remember This podcast- history of Hollywood. Not sure what qualifies as "long form" but they're generally entire seasons dedicated to one subject- the Rat Pack, the Manson murders, the rise and fall of MGM, etc...- whereas Rogan and guests sounds like a conversation at a party you're trying to extract yourself from.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Just the absolute most braindead poster here. How many times does it need to be explained to you that they get other people sick too?

Holy shit balls. You even responded to the post I responded to.

The dude says that they should get COVID, I go they probably won't die. That's all I said, how did you extrapolate more than what I said?

50 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You're acting that'll die from it. Most of his watchers average at 24.

the problem is that the "only fat and old people die and young people are perfectly unaffected" line of thinking went out the window with the early variants.  the reason the early variants weren't the only variants is because there are people out there with a platform telling folks it's smart to stay unvaccinated.

1 hour ago, TurkeyChew said:

You believe that taking your chance against the virus means that you are directly and cold-bloodedly a murderer and by sharing a selfish opinion that he'd rather take his chances with the virus rather than get a vaccine is akin to telling people to drink bleach and kill themselves. I wonder why.

It’s worse because drinking bleach is so stupid on its face that only a tiny fraction of imbeciles will do it and it only hurts them. Lots more imbeciles will refuse to vax and they will infect olds and other people. Rogan is such a waste of carbon, his molecules could be something useful like a flesh eating amoeba or a hagfish, why would anyone care to defend him? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

He should perhaps invite someone on to discuss risk analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and how people are generally not very good at it 

You probably aren’t going to like what they would have to say about masking or vaccinating school aged children, and would then be calling for their heads for that. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the reason the early variants weren't the only variants is because there are people out there with a platform telling folks it's smart to stay unvaccinated.

Partial credit.  We have countries across the world that are poor and I’ll equipped, with billions of people, and they couldn’t keep up.  Even with all the vaccine help they could ever have they couldn’t out run it.  Delta, iirc, started from India, no? 

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Holy shit balls. You even responded to the post I responded to.

The dude says that they should get COVID, I go they probably won't die. That's all I said, how did you extrapolate more than what I said?

because what you said cannot be taken at face value and it ignores A LOT - like the whole fucking problem! 24-yo JR fan goes around maskless and unvaxed and contracts covid but has no symptoms. and he has no idea he is spreading covid to everyone he encounters. it's highly probable that person can infect several others, possibly causing one to die (or at the very least end up hospitalized and suffering forever from long covid). but that 24-yo continues to skip through his world merrily because he's unaffected. how do you seriously not see the problem with this?

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Partial credit.  We have countries across the world that are poor and I’ll equipped, with billions of people, and they couldn’t keep up.  Even with all the vaccine help they could ever have they couldn’t out run it.  Delta, iirc, started from India, no? 

you're making my point for me.  outside variants coming to this country would get shut down a lot easier if we had 85-90% vaccination rate.  but we don't, and we never realistically had a shot at it. 

the other issue is that the people who don't get vaxxed are also the same people who don't wear masks and don't take it seriously, hang out at super spreader events, etc.  whereas the folks who are taking it seriously are sitting home fully vaccinated and wearing masks in public.  it should be the exact opposite, but here we are.

covid rant over, this is not the place for it.  there shouldn't be anything smart or factual about covid in the joe rogan thread.

2 hours ago, Bravo said:

So what are you saying exactly? You want him censored or no? 

I am very libertarian on free speech issues and always have been. Our country was founded on freedom of speech even if you don't agree with it or it is misinformed in your eyes, offensive, etc. . I want people to keep in mind some of the worst things in history have been done almost always to protect the public from "harm" or for greater good. The thought police stuff would fall into that. 

We are still in the midst of a worldwide pandemic that is the most severe in a century. I expect human beings that care about their fellow woman or man to be responsible with the words they use, especially those that have a platform that can spread a good message about getting a vaccine. 

This is solely a do the right thing moment. Contrarians spreading crazy disinformation that has no basis in science or medicine are actively harming people. Words have consequences when they are used in the manner Rogan uses his. He is showing he does not care whether people live or die. He’s getting paid and that’s what he’s in it for. He could be doing so much good right now, but he willingly chooses not to because “he’s just some moron asking questions.” When someone tells you who they are on the inside in this manner believe them. 

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Buy new equipment that has USB ports for charging, or keep your old stuff and not deal with the Deere software thing.   Choices. 

Our tractors all have USB ports (they suck for charging though, the old cigarette lighter ports are better) and aux cords.

This is rich. Howard Steen of all people wants Rogan to be censored. He was censored his entire career and moved to satellite radio finally to get away from it. Hypocrisy at its finest. He doesn't even see it. I used to be a huge fan but his show started to suck ass 7-10 yrs ago so stopped listening. 

When Stern makes dick and vagina jokes, his influence doesn’t put people in the hospital, infect other people with their breathe, and/or help make them die. An occasional simulated orgasm and some hurt feelings.

He’s part of a disinformation campaign against vaccinations and for ivermectin.

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

When Stern makes dick and vagina jokes, his influence doesn’t put people in the hospital, infect other people with their breathe, and/or help make them die. An occasional simulated orgasm and some hurt feelings.

He’s part of a disinformation campaign against vaccinations and for ivermectin.

but it was mean when he made hot girls do math.

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I don't listen to either of these guys but from the samples I've seen did it go like this?

- For women, being an object of sexual desire puts you in a position of power over the men that desire you.  You can use this power to your advantage.  Ok, let's remind our audience today's podcast is brought to you by SeekingArrangement.com

Something like that.

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Because I don't want others to die? Is this a trick question?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our tractors all have USB ports (they suck for charging though, the old cigarette lighter ports are better) and aux cords.

Tbh nothing beats a good battery pack, especially now that bricks have USB-PD and can deliver 65W of power. The same brick I keep in my backpack can recharge my laptop, cell phone, and all the other devices I have. Super handy while traveling 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, F250 said:

Something like that.

I'll say this -- perhaps the hardest I ever saw my wife laugh was when she first heard the axiom "I don't know how women don't run the world -- they have half the money, and all the pussy."

She couldn't stop laughing, except for almost crying because "and goddammit, that's true -- why DON'T we run the world?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

“Do my own research.”

Common right wing parlance for “here’s an opinion I pulled out of my ass and searched the seediest underbelly of Google for someone else to have that same whacked out opinion, and even though I had to skip past like ten thousand links saying I was full of shit, this one random dude living in his moms basement in Cincinnati confirms I’m right. Look at me, I am smart.”

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

“You have to use incognito mode” is the chef’s kiss in that video. 

It really is funny as shit at almost every level.

Funny thing is, if I was among some friends drinking beer, and we had that exact conversation, I would be cracking the fuck up and egging them on.  Because it's funny as shit, and there really are people who think that way.  But again, it would be in the context of "these are my beer-drinking tailgating buddy morons, and I trust them for precisely 0% of my information, except their directions on which truck bed is holding the beer cooler."

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

It really is funny as shit at almost every level.

Funny thing is, if I was among some friends drinking beer, and we had that exact conversation, I would be cracking the fuck up and egging them on.  Because it's funny as shit, and there really are people who think that way.  But again, it would be in the context of "these are my beer-drinking tailgating buddy morons, and I trust them for precisely 0% of my information, except their directions on which truck bed is holding the beer cooler."

Also, they accidentally tell you the wrong cooler at least 20% of the time.