Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

18 minutes ago, Chilly Water said:

Has Barry Manilow left Spotify yet or does he have bigger balls than all these authoritarian censorship twats who are bailing?

Not sure of Barry, but I believe that "Muskrat Love" by Captain & Tenille has been removed due to the risk of influencing further zoonotic diseases

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Sweet christ you’re stupid. 

I hear these comparisons occasionally on figures from nazi Germany and it reinforces my belief that we have millions of people who have no idea about that time period and overall have a level of absurd ignorance about history. This is not and never will be anything remotely close to that era. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I wasn’t paying attention to the timeline back then. I assume Robert Hunter and Jerry had some things to say, too.

”Alabama Getaway”

Reveal hidden contents
Thirty two teeth in a jawbone
Alabama cryin' for none
Before I have to hit him
I hope he's got the sense to run
Reason those poor girls love him
Promise them anything
Reason they believe him
He wears a big diamond ring
Alabama getaway
Alabama getaway
Only way to please me
Turn around and leave
And walk away 
Majordomo Billy Bojangles
Sit down and have a drink with me
What's this about Alabama
Keeps comin' back to me?
Heard your plea in the courthouse
Jury box began to rock and rise
Forty-nine sister states all had
Alabama in their eyes
Alabama getaway
Alabama getaway
Only way to please me
Turn around and leave
And walk away
Why don't we just give Alabama
Rope enough to hang himself?
Ain't no call to worry the jury
His kind takes care of itself
Twenty-third Psalm Majordomo
Reserve me a table for three
In the Valley of the Shadow
Just you, Alabama and me
Alabama getaway
Alabama getaway
Only way to please me
Turn around and leave
And walk away

Counterpoint:

Tennessee, Tennessee, there ain’t no place I’d rather be
Baby won’t you carry me back to Tennessee 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Because of unjust wars and the refusal to grant civil/reproductive rights. 

Stupidity is a GOP prereq.

You don't understand. If you don't agree with the static, homogenous monolith of "government" on one issue, you have picked your team, locked in for life, and are auto-obliged to take a contrarian position because you're a free thinker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spotify to put a link or announce where to find Covid info on “controversial” shows. And Rogan promises to do do better.

im guessing that Spotify is panicking somewhat as it started to get out of control over the weekend and could get worse this week. If you give customers a reason to leave a music service, they can be quick to realize that they don’t miss it.

19 hours ago, F250 said:

It is probably because Neil Young and Joni Mitchell haven't been culturally significant in half a century.

Whoa whoa whoa. He was on the Farm Aid bill last Sept along with Willie, Sturgill Simpson, Nathaniel Rateliff, Tyler Childers and he played 36 concerts in 2019 and 33 in 2018. 

I'm not a Joni Mitchell fan but I've been a huge Neil Young fan for decades and his music is as relevant to me today as it was when I first became a fan. He's still very much a big deal to a lot of music fans. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm not a Joni Mitchell fan but I've been a huge Neil Young fan for decades and his music is as relevant to me today as it was when I first became a fan. He's still very much a big deal to a lot of music fans. 

5e3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

When Rogan was just a podcast rss feed and a youtube channel, he basically could do whatever he wanted. He decided to sell out to Spotify and now he presumably has bosses that dictate his pay. When you do that, you don't have full autonomy. No matter what was promised, these are corporate realities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Read up on Josef Mengele. It might help.

Can I start a petition to require this poster to choose a new username? Anyone that has read Vonnegut would never espouse the bullshit he does. It's an abuse of literature and this poster comes nowhere close to having the informed temerity that Harrison Bergeron exhibited.

mostly kidding. but for realz, how you can you choose a username based on a badass character and show literally none of their traits?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Read up on Josef Mengele. It might help.

The experiments he performed on twins included unnecessary amputation of limbs, intentionally infecting one twin with typhus or some other disease, and transfusing the blood of one twin into the other. Many of the victims died while undergoing these procedures,[51] and those who survived the experiments were sometimes killed and their bodies dissected once Mengele had no further use for them.[52] Nyiszli recalled one occasion on which Mengele personally killed fourteen twins in one night by injecting their hearts with chloroform.[32] If one twin died from disease, he would kill the other twin to allow comparative post-mortem reports to be produced for research purposes.[53]

Mengele's eye experiments included attempts to change the eye color by injecting chemicals into the eyes of living subjects, and he killed people with heterochromatic eyes so that the eyes could be removed and sent to Berlin for study.[54] His experiments on dwarfs and people with physical abnormalities included taking physical measurements, drawing blood, extracting healthy teeth, and treatment with unnecessary drugs and X-rays.[4] Many of his victims were dispatched to the gas chambers after about two weeks, and their skeletons were sent to Berlin for further analysis.[55] Mengele sought out pregnant women, on whom he would perform experiments before sending them to the gas chambers.[56] Alex Dekel, a survivor, reports witnessing Mengele performing vivisection without anesthesia, removing hearts and stomachs of victims.[57] Yitzhak Ganon, another survivor, reported in 2009 how Mengele removed his kidney without anesthesia. He was forced to return to work without painkillers.[58] Witness Vera Alexander described how Mengele sewed two Romani twins together, back to back, in a crude attempt to create conjoined twins;[51] both children died of gangrene after several days of suffering.[59]

Ok. I did. 

Make your point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whoa whoa whoa. He was on the Farm Aid bill last Sept along with Willie, Sturgill Simpson, Nathaniel Rateliff, Tyler Childers and he played 36 concerts in 2019 and 33 in 2018. 

Farm Aid founding member and still on the board of directors. Raising funds and fighting for American Farmers for over 30 years. Goddam irrelevant nobody from Canada.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Ok, here's Brisket being a voice of positive hopefulness (I know, I hope you were sitting down when you read that).  While not perfect, this is the kind of response we would hope to see in a functioning society.  "You called something out that I was doing poorly, your point has some degree of merit, I will try to do better, and here is how I will do so."  Sure, the proof will be in the pudding.  And sure, Rogan remains a meathead.  But if he actually exposes himself to a broader spectrum of thinking, he is also the kind of swayable meathead who could actually end up saying "huh, seems like the answer is that the vaccines are generally a good thing, and people should get one unless they have a compelling reason not to, based on consultation with their dr."  Or something like that.

If we are going to use pressure to demand that people do better, then we also need to accept it when they acknowledge our concerns and state a commitment to do better.  Again, proof is in the pudding, "trust but verify," all that.  But if we are going to engage in this process as a society, then we need to do so honestly and openly.

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's a difference between not trusting the government and being convinced that the bulk of scientific research is a conspiracy to control people.

I have little doubt that politicians don't give a shit about me or my interests unless it's advantageous to them.  I have little doubt that many laws and government initiatives are little more than cash grabs or means to pursue a less than open agenda.  I also have little doubt that scientists and doctors are almost always trying to figure out what the hell is going in a given situation and are generally trustworthy.

The modern right wing has just devolved into "don't trust anyone that doesn't say what you want to hear" and works backwards from there.

I am going to quibble, strongly, with the first bolded statement.  Much of the leadership on pandemic measures has come from local governments -- cities, counties, public health departments.  I know a lot of people in that line of work.  And, while it's like any other line of work -- some heroes, some duds, lots of folks in-between -- the biggest motivator for almost all of those folks is to actually be of service to their community.  Most of those jobs don't pay a whole bunch, or come with a lot of perks and glory.  They truly and genuinely want to do the right thing to make their community better.  I have been on the phone with such people in crisis at all hours of the night over any number of issues -- and they aren't interested in covering their own asses, they are interested in addressing the problem.

Yes, there are bad actors out there.  Yes, at the Federal government (and even state leadership level), there are some real toads who put personal ambition and politics ahead of actually helping people.  But the further down the line you go towards the local level, the more you get people who are motivated by the right thing.  They may not always get it right (because guess what, your local city council member whose day job is owning 5 dry cleaning shops or somesuch, is not an innate expert on immunology, or disaster relief, etc.), but they are trying to.

On the second bolded point....exactly. In fact, this is one of the accusations of the anti-vax crowd that makes ZERO sense: "the doctors are withholding lifesaving treatments from people that are admitted with COVID!"  WTF?  Have any of you ever MET a doc, particularly an ER doc or one with a hospital practice?  Their entire fucking job is saving their patients' lives.  As for treatment options, this is their approach....

13812866_0.jpg

If crushing up 40 aspirin and rubbing it into a patient's hair showed ANY promise, they'd all have a run on Bayer aspirin tomorrow.  Again, sure, EVERY profession has its shitheels, profiteers, and whatnot.  But in my experience, doctors really are in the business of treating their patients.  If they could cure their COVID patients with aspirin and jello, they'd be serving that shit up en masse before the end of the day.

And when it comes to evaluating the scientific evidence, they try to do the same.  The one thing they're NOT great at is communication.  That's why a lot of people who don't know enough don't understand the embedded message in so much of the public health advice in this pandemic which has a foundation of "we just don't know enough, so based on what we do know, we are taking a cautious, conservative approach."  Some better communication of "we don't know for sure, and this is how medicine proceeds when we don't know something for sure" would go a long way.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Interesting how you left out this part:

"I have little doubt that politicians don't give a shit about me or my interests unless it's advantageous to them.  I have little doubt that many laws and government initiatives are little more than cash grabs or means to pursue a less than open agenda."

I don't give a flying fuck what Kamala Harris says about vaccines, and that's the point you don't get.  I got the vaccine, the same vaccine that Donald Trump vigorously advocates for, even though I think Donald Trump is sociopath wannabe despot.  Because literally every doctor I know said it was a good idea.  And I've gotten many vaccines in my lifetime with no ill effect.  Most left wing people I know aren't going to politicians or podcast hosts for medical advice.  They're going to doctors.  Far more right leaning people I know are basing their positions on almost anything on the back of the influential people they trust.  And those people are the people who tell them what they want to hear.  So they trust them.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok, here's Brisket being a voice of positive hopefulness (I know, I hope you were sitting down when you read that).  While not perfect, this is the kind of response we would hope to see in a functioning society.  "You called something out that I was doing poorly, your point has some degree of merit, I will try to do better, and here is how I will do so."  Sure, the proof will be in the pudding.  And sure, Rogan remains a meathead.  But if he actually exposes himself to a broader spectrum of thinking, he is also the kind of swayable meathead who could actually end up saying "huh, seems like the answer is that the vaccines are generally a good thing, and people should get one unless they have a compelling reason not to, based on consultation with their dr."  Or something like that.

If we are going to use pressure to demand that people do better, then we also need to accept it when they acknowledge our concerns and state a commitment to do better.  Again, proof is in the pudding, "trust but verify," all that.  But if we are going to engage in this process as a society, then we need to do so honestly and openly.

I am going to quibble, strongly, with the first bolded statement.  Much of the leadership on pandemic measures has come from local governments -- cities, counties, public health departments.  I know a lot of people in that line of work.  And, while it's like any other line of work -- some heroes, some duds, lots of folks in-between -- the biggest motivator for almost all of those folks is to actually be of service to their community.  Most of those jobs don't pay a whole bunch, or come with a lot of perks and glory.  They truly and genuinely want to do the right thing to make their community better.  I have been on the phone with such people in crisis at all hours of the night over any number of issues -- and they aren't interested in covering their own asses, they are interested in addressing the problem.

Yes, there are bad actors out there.  Yes, at the Federal government (and even state leadership level), there are some real toads who put personal ambition and politics ahead of actually helping people.  But the further down the line you go towards the local level, the more you get people who are motivated by the right thing.  They may not always get it right (because guess what, your local city council member whose day job is owning 5 dry cleaning shops or somesuch, is not an innate expert on immunology, or disaster relief, etc.), but they are trying to.

On the second bolded point....exactly. In fact, this is one of the accusations of the anti-vax crowd that makes ZERO sense: "the doctors are withholding lifesaving treatments from people that are admitted with COVID!"  WTF?  Have any of you ever MET a doc, particularly an ER doc or one with a hospital practice?  Their entire fucking job is saving their patients' lives.  As for treatment options, this is their approach....

13812866_0.jpg

If crushing up 40 aspirin and rubbing it into a patient's hair showed ANY promise, they'd all have a run on Bayer aspirin tomorrow.  Again, sure, EVERY profession has its shitheels, profiteers, and whatnot.  But in my experience, doctors really are in the business of treating their patients.  If they could cure their COVID patients with aspirin and jello, they'd be serving that shit up en masse before the end of the day.

And when it comes to evaluating the scientific evidence, they try to do the same.  The one thing they're NOT great at is communication.  That's why a lot of people who don't know enough don't understand the embedded message in so much of the public health advice in this pandemic which has a foundation of "we just don't know enough, so based on what we do know, we are taking a cautious, conservative approach."  Some better communication of "we don't know for sure, and this is how medicine proceeds when we don't know something for sure" would go a long way.

I'm with you here.  By "politicians" I many elected individuals in state houses, US congress, state governors, the President, etc.

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm with you here.  By "politicians" I many elected individuals in state houses, US congress, state governors, the President, etc.

In my experience, as you go up the ladder, shameless ambition starts to put a big-ass dent in "well-meaning goal of service."  It's not all gone by any means -- I have known people in and around Congress and the White House, for example, who genuinely want and try to serve.  I've also known some craven bastards motivated solely by their own blind ambition, and the ranks of those folks get a lot thicker the farther up the ladder you go.

38 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It should be noted that Rogan put out a similar statement after getting shit on for promoting some questionable bullshit less than a year ago, but after that statement he doubled down on the quackery. If he changes at all, it'll probably be for the worse.

It sounds like Rogan got the most minor of hand slaps behind closed doors, as in Spotify execs hemmed and hawed and glanced at his wrist for a second, and then asked him to just cool it until this stuff simmers down and people are enraged about another issue.

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Can I start a petition to require this poster to choose a new username? Anyone that has read Vonnegut would never espouse the bullshit he does. It's an abuse of literature and this poster comes nowhere close to having the informed temerity that Harrison Bergeron exhibited.

mostly kidding. but for realz, how you can you choose a username based on a badass character and show literally none of their traits?

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The modern right wing has just devolved into "don't trust anyone that doesn't say what you want to hear" and works backwards from there.

Seriously, when you have that little trust in anything other than yourself... what's the point anymore? How the heck do you live in society without some trust in others or institutions? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, YChang said:

Seriously, when you have that little trust in anything other than yourself... what's the point anymore? How the heck do you live in society without some trust in others or institutions? 

You don't.  Once that is your dominant belief, there is only one thing to do with society: destroy it.  All of it.

That's the point.  It's their singular goal.  It's not about helping anyone or anything, or making anything better.  It's only about inflicting pain and hurting others (remember the anguished cry of the Trumpkins when Donnie's idiocy caused collateral damage to Trumpkins -- "he's hurting the wrong people!")  Destruction, inflicting pain on others -- these are the benchmarks of success for them.  They've been telling us so in plain language repeatedly.  We should listen to them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One of our biggest responsibilities as nurses, whether in the ICU setting, a sexual health practice, or any patient-facing nursing role, is to translate medical jargon into plain English so our patients can be fully educated on their health. One of the best parts of the job, too, at least when it comes to sexual health, because, ya know, people love to fuck and generally want to fuck safely.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1