Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be the right thing to do. 

I agree.  But who's still alive?  Their heirs may not be willing to give up those $7.00 checks that they get every month. 

Shit, just the other day I heard that Mitch Mitchell's family is suing somebody over streaming revenues for The Jimi Hendrix Experience.  Mitchell has been dead for almost 20 years!

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

If Rogan frequently had on a guest that talked about something creepy but not necessarily illegal, I bet Spotify would rightfully step in to tell Rogan to find other guests. There must be a line where they would police rogan’s content. But they can’t seem to describe that line.

I bet that we quietly hear about a performer revenue increase from Spotify within 3 months. Something that will have been promised this week but the announcement will be pushed back to not make it seem like a pay-off. So when the musician contacts their label today to ask them about removing them from Spotify, the label will advise them to not lead on this issue.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Call me crazy but people wanting to cancel a guy who talks to all kinds of people about a ton of topics because of a opinion he had on air is nuts.  

I agree. That is crazy. But that’s not what is happening at all. The market is reacting to a company that spreads vaccine disinformation. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Call me crazy but people wanting to cancel a guy who talks to all kinds of people about a ton of topics because of a opinion he had on air is nuts.  

I don’t see this as cancel culture going astray. It’s basically Neil Young and others saying they don’t want to be associated with Joe Rogan. Young or Joni Mitchell aren’t thinking that they were going to get Rogan removed or canceled from the world stage. Besides you can’t really cancel someone on the internet.

The situation also gives attention to something that we know: Rogan frequently has on questionable sources that he can’t challenge and fails to source check.And even Rogan understands this as he himself has cancelled frequent guests when he got sick of their crap. if someone is upset that Rogan is getting “cancelled” why aren’t Rogan fans upset that he cancelled some right wing people like the Weinstein brothers, Rubin or Candace Owens? 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t see this as cancel culture going astray. It’s basically Neil Young and others saying they don’t want to be associated with Joe Rogan. Young or Joni Mitchell aren’t thinking that they were going to get Rogan removed or canceled from the world stage. Besides you can’t really cancel someone on the internet.

The situation also gives attention to something that we know: Rogan frequently has on questionable sources that he can’t challenge and fails to source check.And even Rogan understands this as he himself has cancelled frequent guests when he got sick of their crap. if someone is upset that Rogan is getting “cancelled” why aren’t Rogan fans upset that he cancelled some right wing people like the Weinstein brothers, Rubin or Candace Owens? 

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for a reply @Hook1997

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Call me crazy, but I don't really see anyone seriously trying to cancel him.

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

A portion of a eloquent counterpoint from Beth Mole at Arstechnica that everyone should read:

Slide into misinformation

After all, expertise is a slippery business; it's both something to be skeptical of and something to bolster whatever your opinion is, according to Rogan and Paltrow. For instance, highly credentialed, intelligent, and accomplished experts often come to a scientific consensus based on current evidence and sound analysis, forming a mainstream opinion. Yet fringe scientists who spout misleading information or falsehoods or have a clear agenda could still be worth amplifying because, as Paltrow and Rogan argued, they do have fancy credentials, too. As Rogan noted of two particularly troubling guests of his show, "These people are very highly credentialed, very intelligent, very accomplished people. And they have an opinion that's different from the mainstream narrative."

Paltrow presented a similar conundrum. "These are the doctors we regularly feature on Goop: doctors who publish in peer-reviewed journals; doctors who trained at the best institutions; doctors who are repeatedly at the forefront of medicine; doctors who persistently and aggressively maintain an open mind," she said.

With expertise in question, the slippery slope into misinformation continued as both questioned whether evidence-based medicine and scientific consensus can even be trusted at all. "The thing about science and medicine is that it evolves all the time," Paltrow noted. "Studies and beliefs that we held sacred even in the last decade have since been proven to be unequivocally false, and sometimes even harmful," she added, without providing any examples of such disproven "sacred" scientific "beliefs."

Rogan, too, made such a claim. "The problem I have with the term 'misinformation,' especially today, is that many of the things that we thought of as misinformation just a short while ago are now accepted as fact," Rogan said.

In this world where conversations are always innocent, facts can't be verified, experts can't be vetted, and science can't be trusted, there's a lot of room to peddle unproven products and harmful misinformation. It's exactly the world Paltrow and Rogan want you to buy into.

"I want to show all kinds of opinions so that we can all figure out what's going on—and not just about COVID, about everything about health, about fitness, wellness, the state of the world itself," Rogan said.

In the meantime, you can check out products from a health company he promotes called Onnit, which sells Alpha Brain Black Label vitamins for $124.95 per 80-count bottle. There's also the $147.95 Quad Mace, which Onnit claims has origins in ancient Persia and represents the company's embrace of various "training modalities."

Please click and read the whole article. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/joe-just-conversations-rogan-defends-misinformation-like-a-classic-grifter/

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And while you’re at it you can go to Goop and buy a candle that smells like Gwyneth’s vagina.

I have always wondered, is the Goop vagina candle meant to just vaguely smell like a generic vagina?  Or is it really modeled specifically to the aroma of Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina?  If the latter, how scientific did they get?  Did they have a double blind smell test that included her vagina as a control? I think getting the vagina candle to be truly representative of a specific vagina would be hard, given the variance in aroma I have experienced with my wife's own vagina at different times of the day, of the month, depending on what activities she had been engaged in before hand, etc...

I think we are going to need a Rogan podcast episode on the matter to really know whether or not the Goop vagina candle truly smells like Gwynneth Paltrow's vagina.

*smoothly slides back on topic*

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Rogan frequently had on a guest that talked about something creepy but not necessarily illegal, I bet Spotify would rightfully step in to tell Rogan to find other guests. There must be a line where they would police rogan’s content. But they can’t seem to describe that line.

Part of his deal was absolutely no meddling. Now whether that was handshake only or in the fine print I don't know. Rogan didn't need Spotify, but was growing upset at other social media's lack of definable policies.

This wasn't about money, it just took a lot of money. This was about being left alone to have on the guests that interested him. In spite of headline impressions, Rogan loves to learn about everything. His guest list is mind blowing. Do we always learn from the correct places, of course not. And even when humble about our limitations do people sometimes double down on stances when feeling the pressure being applied to think a certain way, unfortunately. But bottom line he's a comedian. Which means his nature is to laugh at the absurdity of the world, then to flip it on his own ego, and then spin it back around for hopefully some good. At least that is what I've gathered over the years.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop throwing the C word around man. They don’t care if he records his show, they just don’t want it shown to anyone.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I have always wondered, is the Goop vagina candle meant to just vaguely smell like a generic vagina?  Or is it really modeled specifically to the aroma of Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina?  If the latter, how scientific did they get?  Did they have a double blind smell test that included her vagina as a control? I think getting the vagina candle to be truly representative of a specific vagina would be hard, given the variance in aroma I have experienced with my wife's own vagina at different times of the day, of the month, depending on what activities she had been engaged in before hand, etc...

I think we are going to need a Rogan podcast episode on the matter to really know whether or not the Goop vagina candle truly smells like Gwynneth Paltrow's vagina.

*smoothly slides back on topic*

That might be an interview better suited for Howard Stern. But I too have wondered about the vagina smell of her candle. While I have no interest in any vagina-scented candle, if I had to choose one that smelled like Gwyneth’s vagina then I probably wouldn’t want one that smells like her vagina today and would instead prefer the scent of a younger one like, say, from a Great Expectations-era Paltrow.

image.thumb.png.ae8b23fd065d7983f4bba5e91898588c.png

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Part of his deal was absolutely no meddling. Now whether that was handshake only or in the fine print I don't know. Rogan didn't need Spotify, but was growing upset at other social media's lack of definable policies.

This wasn't about money, it just took a lot of money. This was about being left alone to have on the guests that interested him. In spite of headline impressions, Rogan loves to learn about everything. His guest list is mind blowing. Do we always learn from the correct places, of course not. And even when humble about our limitations do people sometimes double down on stances when feeling the pressure being applied to think a certain way, unfortunately. But bottom line he's a comedian. Which means his nature is to laugh at the absurdity of the world, then to flip it on his own ego, and then spin it back around for hopefully some good. At least that is what I've gathered over the years.

And the problem isn't that this comedian projects misinformation on a podcast.  The problem is that millions of Americans turn to this comedian's podcast as their source of truth.  If you completely erase Joe Rogan, we are still left with millions of Americans looking for a comfortably presented source of their elective fucking bro-truth to avoid having to face uncomfortable facts and data that are threatening to their core worldview.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think getting the vagina candle to be truly representative of a specific vagina would be hard, given the variance in aroma I have experienced with my wife's own vagina at different times of the day, of the month, depending on what activities she had been engaged in before hand, etc...

I know right?  It's weird.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

And the problem isn't that this comedian projects misinformation on a podcast.  The problem is that millions of Americans turn to this comedian's podcast as their source of truth.  If you completely erase Joe Rogan, we are still left with millions of Americans looking for a comfortably presented source of their elective fucking bro-truth to avoid having to face uncomfortable facts and data that are threatening to their core worldview.

Russell Brand has entered the chat

Edited by JohnnyRage

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yeah I don't agree with wanting Spotify to remove him either. As long as there's fox news, Oan, and the rest singling out one guy doing a popular podcast isn't going to save the damage being done to the stupid side of America. It's also wrong to single out just one source of obvious disinformation while others just flow freely. 

Fact of the matter is Americans are too evil on one side and too stupid on the other to handle the responsibility of freedom of speech. It's the number 1 catalyst for the downfall of the country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm not sure that it's true that Spotify has no-meddling clauses at least in terms of what is published.

Do they have a right to tell Rogan who he's interviews or what he wants to say? I don't see how they can do that. Do they have to publish everything Rogan produce. Absolutely not. I doubt Rogan can override Spotify on what Spotify decides is and isn't publishable. That makes zero business sense.

Isn't Rogan's pre-Spotify podcasts available on Spotify only? I believe they are, except for the episodes that Spotify didn't want to publish. Now perhaps Rogan agreed with those decisions but my guess he wasn't worried about it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Rogan was also disingenuous and exaggerated in his weekend commentary about this controversy. He defended his recent shows by stating that some alternative opinions would have gotten you cancelled a year ago are now more mainstream ideas. Like that the vaccine doesn't prevent COVID and that there is a growing # of people that question whether the Wuhan lab was involved in the release of COVID. No one was cancelled if they had given that opinion a year ago. And the vaccine efficacy has changed significantly over the last year with the Delta and Omicorn variants. Science changes.

FYI, I like some of Rogan's episodes. I avoid his shows about politics or anything that involves others from the so-called intellectual dark web team.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rogan was also disingenuous and exaggerated in his weekend commentary about this controversy. He defended his recent shows by stating that some alternative opinions would have gotten you cancelled a year ago are now more mainstream ideas. Like that the vaccine doesn't prevent COVID and that there is a growing # of people that question whether the Wuhan lab was involved in the release of COVID. No one was cancelled if they had given that opinion a year ago. And the vaccine efficacy has changed significantly over the last year with the Delta and Omicorn variants. Science changes.

FYI, I like some of Rogan's episodes. I avoid his shows about politics or anything that involves others from the so-called intellectual dark web team.

If Rogan stuck to his older types of interviews I wouldn't care one bit about him. Hell, even if he only interviewed the IDW chuds, whom I hate, I'd say that's fine. I'd make fun of them a lot because it's easy and they deserve to be ridiculed, but I wouldn't advocate for anything that anyone might call censorship. And I don't think people who seem to have genuine disagreements about science should be censored or retaliated against in any manner, but there's a line between genuine scientific disagreement and obvious grifting bullshit and Malone, McCullough, and Rogan crossed it and it's indisputable to anyone with an IQ over 70. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Here are the known 40 episodes that Spotify said no thanks

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2021/03/30/spotify-joe-rogan-episodes-removed/

Well 1/4th of those seem to be comedian - his close personal friends Brian Redban and Joey Diaz, and the temporarily canceled Chris D'Elia, but making a comeback.

2 more are his conspiratorial Jiu Jitsu teacher and just asking questions Eddie Bravo.

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No one was cancelled if they had given that opinion a year ago. And the vaccine efficacy has changed significantly over the last year with the Delta and Omicorn variants. Science changes.

The demonetization of content, removal of content, and suspensions from platforms. It was more about what was happening around him and not having good game theory moving forward due to a lack of definition. The demonetization is back breaking to many.