Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

'bp', Bro Pressure?

Russell is disapointment for me, he has a brilliant mind. But you can't retreat to a position that generates the most viewership and throw your hands up. That's not God's work.

One of the Best 'Hot Ones'. Just saying that got me hungry...

Edited by JohnnyRage
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Well 1/4th of those seem to be comedian - his close personal friends Brian Redban and Joey Diaz, and the temporarily canceled Chris D'Elia, but making a comeback.

2 more are his conspiratorial Jiu Jitsu teacher and just asking questions Eddie Bravo.

Eddie was so over-the-top, i liked his conspiracy minded interviews. 

23 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I can't find a different podcast where Eddie Bravo called him out on this. Probably taken down.

That was back when he laughed at the nuttiness of it all. Before he realized he could cash in on the nuttiness if he pretended it was serious. 

He is now just Jimmy Swaggart without all the Jesus talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

oh no, not the dreaded "urging"! what next, strong suggestion?! we cannot abide this injustice!

give me a fucking break. snow.flakes.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Yeah, they're talking about flagging JRE with some kind of "Warning:  Contains Pure Bullshit" type of sticker.  Not removing it from the platform.

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

This sentence is funnier than anything Joe Rogan the Stool Fucker has done throughout his entire career.

He was great as a secondary character in NewsRadio. His standup was never anything remarkable. He’s a meathead. He’s Tony Danza if Tony Danza did standup. His character in NewsRadio was a meathead with Dale Gribble-like suspicions of government conspiracies. A guy who wasn’t very competent at his job. A guy too stupid to realize that Catherine was coming on to him

I only just realized that he was on Spotify and had any kind of following at all. But then I also was surprised to learn that not everyone in America was aware that Donald Trump is a complete fucking buffoon. I was totally mistaken when I assumed everyone already knew that decades ago. 

Rogan was also disingenuous and exaggerated in his weekend commentary about this controversy. He defended his recent shows by stating that some alternative opinions would have gotten you cancelled a year ago are now more mainstream ideas. Like that the vaccine doesn't prevent COVID and that there is a growing # of people that question whether the Wuhan lab was involved in the release of COVID. No one was cancelled if they had given that opinion a year ago. And the vaccine efficacy has changed significantly over the last year with the Delta and Omicorn variants. Science changes.
FYI, I like some of Rogan's episodes. I avoid his shows about politics or anything that involves others from the so-called intellectual dark web team.

More disinformation. There were no claims vaccinations would be 100% effective at preventing COVID. They were initially very effective at preventing early variants and less effective against Omni. They still are better than no vaccination.

Where Rogan and others are wildly misinformed are public health strategies vs individual health strategies. Because they dont really care about public health. Thats not a sustainable attitude if you want to mitigate the impact of communicable diseases. Like setting us back 100 years.

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

given the variance in aroma I have experienced with my wife's own vagina at different times of the day, of the month, depending on what activities she had been engaged in before hand, etc...

I've noticed the same thing with your wife's vagina. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

A portion of a eloquent counterpoint from Beth Mole at Arstechnica that everyone should read:

Please click and read the whole article. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/joe-just-conversations-rogan-defends-misinformation-like-a-classic-grifter/

tldr: joe rogan is gwenyth paltrow for bros

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And while you’re at it you can go to Goop and buy a candle that smells like Gwyneth’s vagina.

It doesn't smell like her vagina.

And the word "Goop" should be confined only to stuff that cleans oil and grease off your hands.

Granted, Gwyneth's vagina could clean oil and grease off of your hand, but still.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

This was about being left alone to have on the guests that interested him. In spite of headline impressions, Rogan loves to learn about everything. 

Buying into conspiracy theories like that the Apollo moon landings were faked is not an attempt to "learn about everything" it's buying into whatever your current guest is peddling.

I said earlier that he changed his mind after people pointed out that the Soviet Union would have made sure everybody knew they were faked, but from reading around, it sounds more like he got upset that people were calling him a fucking moron for buying into that shit, including some astronauts and others associated with space.  Of course, back then he wasn't making Spotify money so he didn't always dig his heels in.  But he's clearly always had a propensity for believing whatever his last guest said.

We're Surly and many of us have...questionable morals, so if somebody waved $100 million under our noses, plenty of us might be willing to say and do a lot of stupid shit on a streaming service in front of tens of millions of people.  Hell, we do it for free all the time here.

But most of us are also smart enough to know that if we peddle bullshit conspiracy theories and the like, we will get called out on it.  And we are a group of people that has been known to track private aircraft in pursuit of finding out who the next coach to fuck us over is going to be.

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Buying into conspiracy theories like that the Apollo moon landings were faked is not an attempt to "learn about everything" it's buying into whatever your current guest is peddling.

I said earlier that he changed his mind after people pointed out that the Soviet Union would have made sure everybody knew they were faked, but from reading around, it sounds more like he got upset that people were calling him a fucking moron for buying into that shit, including some astronauts and others associated with space.  Of course, back then he wasn't making Spotify money so he didn't always dig his heels in.  But he's clearly always had a propensity for believing whatever his last guest said.

We're Surly and many of us have...questionable morals, so if somebody waved $100 million under our noses, plenty of us might be willing to say and do a lot of stupid shit on a streaming service in front of tens of millions of people.  Hell, we do it for free all the time here.

But most of us are also smart enough to know that if we peddle bullshit conspiracy theories and the like, we will get called out on it.  And we are a group of people that has been known to track private aircraft in pursuit of finding out who the next coach to fuck us over is going to be.

Several of his guests are astrophysicist and philosophers or are elite at their craft, the opposite of conspiracy theorist. That makes no sense to have these voices on when as many of you claim that he is just wide bro paint brushing it to capitalize on the masses. The 100 million is a done deal for exclusive licensing. It doesn't matter what he puts out, right? The checks are signed. Are you suggesting that Spotify is encouraging this kind of content to grow viewership, and that making Spotify happy is somehow better for Rogan's future?

I think that because of Rogan's success in more than a few areas that some times his feedback loop is not as normal as those who need income. He doesn't read social media comments. He lives on a ranch. He hangs out with comedians and musicians, and most people outside want something from him. So to wade through those opinions, requests, and shots is not something that high on his energy agenda.

It sucks when people have to defend well rounded conversations from the left flank. We are all going to hear stuff that we don't agree with when we step out of the echo chamber.

This is not my hill to do on, it's just a snow day.

(I'm assuming he lives on a ranch, he better live on a fucking ranch)

Edited by JohnnyRage

39 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Several of his guests are astrophysicist and philosophers or are elite at their craft, the opposite of conspiracy theorist. That makes no sense to have these voices on when as many of you claim that he is just wide bro paint brushing it to capitalize on the masses. The 100 million is a done deal for exclusive licensing. It doesn't matter what he puts out, right? The checks are signed. Are you suggesting that Spotify is encouraging this kind of content to grow viewership, and that making Spotify happy is somehow better for Rogan's future?

I think that because of Rogan's success in more than a few areas that some times his feedback loop is not as normal as those who need income. He doesn't read social media comments. He lives on a ranch. He hangs out with comedians and musicians, and most people outside want something from him. So to wade through those opinions, requests, and shots is not something that high on his energy agenda.

It sucks when people have to defend well rounded conversations from the left flank. We are all going to hear stuff that we don't agree with when we step out of the echo chamber.

This is not my hill to do on, it's just a snow day.

(I'm assuming he lives on a ranch, he better live on a fucking ranch)

McMansion on Lake Austin. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Can we also deplatform all the fat acceptance dipshits for claiming being obese is okay?

then who are most Trumpers gonna get married to?  

7 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Several of his guests are astrophysicist and philosophers or are elite at their craft, the opposite of conspiracy theorist. That makes no sense to have these voices on when as many of you claim that he is just wide bro paint brushing it to capitalize on the masses. 

When you buy into a dumb fucking conspiracy theories, you are raising the question of whether you are A) A fucking moron who has no critical thinking skills that you can apply to the situation at hand,  B) Whether you are just buying into stupid shit because it gets the clicks, or C) All of the above.

Which do you think is it is with Rogan, and which do you think is worse?

I have a qanon in-law who has pitched plenty of conspiracy theories my way.  Sure, those conversations all ended with some various of me telling her "you're an idiot" or "you have mental health issues and need help" but at some point during those conversations, it was easy for me to toss in some softball questions proving that they were pitching some made-up bullshit they found on the internet.

You don't have to know the background of most conspiracy theories to shoot them down when you apply a little critical thinking.  Take these popular examples.

• We faked the moon landings!  Wouldn't the Soviets have proven that we lied, since it was a crushing blow to them?
  • The Holocaust was fake! Why doesn't the German government deny it, and why does the German government still pay reparations to victims of It to this very day? (I don't think Rogan has denied the Holocaust, but my in-law has).
  • Then backlash against horse paste is driven by Big Pharma!  Merck invented and makes Ivermectin. Merck is Big Pharma.

None of those things requires you to have an extensive background in the actual topics at hand - you simply point out the obvious.

Yes, Rogan talks to a wide variety of people, but the only reason to bring in people who are preying on the mentally weak with bullshit conspiracy theories is to shoot those people down, not fucking pull this "oh, wow, that's interesting, I guess I didn't think about it before."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Are you suggesting that Spotify is encouraging this kind of content to grow viewership, and that making Spotify happy is somehow better for Rogan's future?

I'm saying Rogan found a formula that made a shit-ton of money, and there's no reason to change that, even if the platform is now massive, and now amplifies misinformation on a larger scale that was ignored by many in the past.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I think that because of Rogan's success in more than a few areas that some times his feedback loop is not as normal as those who need income. 

If his feedback loop is off and he can't identify misinformation or his potential role in spreading it, then he needs staffers who do and who will shut him down.  And there's plenty of examples of Rogan's staff correcting something on-the-fly, but it seems awfully selective.

Well-rounded conversations don't consist of some guest saying something stupid that could mislead a lot of naive people, followed by the host saying "wow, that's interesting, I guess I really hadn't thought of it that way before".  

That's not a left flank/right flank thing either, and it's definitely not well-rounded - that's the host trying to impress or be friends with the guest, or trying to cover up his ignorance of the subject matter.

• Haha 1

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not b). The show has grown organically mostly through being on the leading edge of podcasting and a deliberate lack of effort to be strategic. So that also eliminates c).

That leaves a)       I think his critical thinking skills are limited if you push all of the topics on the table. He'll be the first to vocalize that. He's a comedian. He's a mixed martial artist. He's a health nut. He's a commentator. He's a long form conversationalist. Is he a moron? I think that's quite harsh. I think there is a lot of Magtard projection going on and contempt for someone playing by a different set of rules.

But I don't have to put him into a box. I try to not put this message board forum in a box, as notorious as it is. But this thread, it's boxey as fuck.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not b). The show has grown organically mostly through being on the leading edge of podcasting and a deliberate lack of effort to be strategic. So that also eliminates c).

That leaves a)       I think his critical thinking skills are limited if you push all of the topics on the table. He'll be the first to vocalize that. He's a comedian. He's a mixed martial artist. He's a workout/gym nut. He's a commentator. He's a long form conversationalist. Is he a moron? I think that's quite harsh. I think there is a lot of Magtard projection going on and contempt for someone playing by a different set of rules.

But I don't have to put him into a box. I try to not put this message board forum in a box, as notorious as it is. But this thread, it's boxey as fuck.

FIFY.  The shit he does isn't all "healthy"

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Let's go through all of this I guess.

• His critical thinking skills are effectively non-existent. He is an intellectual sponge that soaks up the opinions of whoever he thinks is the smartest person in the room.
  • He's a comedian, yes. A mediocre one.
  • He's a mixed-martial artist, yes, and a pretty good commentator on MMA fights.
  • He's a health nut with HGH gut that takes all kinds of homeopathic medicine and looks like a ninja turtle.
  • He certainly is a commentator and a long-form conversationalist, of sorts.
  • Yes, he is a moron. By his own admission, hundreds of times. See my first bullet point.

I don't hate Joe Rogan, at least the "old" Joe Rogan, even though he has certainly held some problematic opinions in the past and present. I have watched probably in the triple digits of his podcasts. He was always toeing the anti-intellectual line, though pre-Spotify he was much more open to being a sounding board to actual intellectuals with regard to anything and everything that held his interest, and I never saw him turn into a dumbass debatelord in any of those conversations. Post-Spotify, he has taken a steep dive into the deep end of anti-intellectualism, is almost entirely closed off to having anyone on that will serve an opposing opinion on his COVID stance. The few that he has had on, he has tried to debate and embarrass them instead of having an actual conversation. For example, Sanjay Gupta, or even his friend Rhonda Patrick, who was desperately trying to explain to him how wrong he was, and he was just entirely closed off.

The whole thing circles back to my first bullet, because he is extremely susceptible to people that very much sound like they know what they're talking about, but are actually feeding him bullshit, hence why he likes people like Dr. Robert Malone and Ben Shapiro so much. Both are very good at shilling bullshit and making it sound intelligent and convincing.

LmRY.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I gotta say never once did circa 1995, 1996 college age Surly Bevo sit there and think, "man in 25+ years there are going to be thousands of message board posts arguing about the handyman."

Same. There were probably a few occasions where 1995 F250 was high as a kite and kept saying "That's the dude from Kids in the Hall."

Although I spent most of the time lusting Khandi Alexander.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I gotta say never once did circa 1995, 1996 college age Surly Bevo sit there and think, "man in 25+ years there are going to be thousands of message board posts arguing about the handyman."

Betcha weren't expecting evangelicals to put trump on a pedestal and be the base of a party-defining conspiracy theory either lol

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was thinking about this idea last night. Imagine watching Fear Factor in 2005 when a time traveler from the year 2022 shows up.

Time Traveler: The host of this show will be at the center of a nationwide debate over a vaccine that helped to end a global pandemic. Even President Biden commented on the story.
Me: Oh, that's odd that Rogan is still relevant over 15 years from now, but sure, whatever. Now you mentioned a global pandemic. I hope everything is OK.
TT: No, it's not. Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of people have died just in the United States.
Me: That's terrible! But wait, you said Joe Biden is president. He's always seemed fairly competent so I thought he would be able to handle a major crisis like this. 
TT: Well, he was not president when the pandemic first began. 
Me: Oh, who was?
TT: Well, you'll want to sit down for this one. You know that show, The Apprentice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2