Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Also, they accidentally tell you the wrong cooler at least 20% of the time.

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

or purposely steer you away from the cooler with the craft beer and setting you upon the one stocked with Natty Light

These are the risks when dealing with dumbass friends.  But alas, they are the only friends I have (and yes.....I suspect they would say the same about me.  Because they had to listen to me rant for a full season "I don't give a shit what the question is, I just know Colt McCoy ain't the answer!" [In fairness to me, Colt ate his Wheaties the next offseason and became a worldbeater]).

Just now, Brisketexan said:

These are the risks when dealing with dumbass friends.  But alas, they are the only friends I have (and yes.....I suspect they would say the same about me.  Because they had to listen to me rant for a full season "I don't give a shit what the question is, I just know Colt McCoy ain't the answer!" [In fairness to me, Colt ate his Wheaties the next offseason and became a worldbeater]).

what if the question was: which McCoy brother does not like to watch and film other people having sex?

I just read something interesting about streaming that made me think maybe a Spotify does have more control and influence on who they promote-- I'm not sure how all that works, but this was an interesting tidbit:

Artists are going platinum and scoring chart-topping hits… all while going unnoticed by the general public. One example of this is NBA YoungBoy, who shares achievements rivaling that of Taylor Swift, but remains mostly unrecognized. This may signal a growing phenomenon in the music industry, where cult favorites with massive success are somehow still flying under the radar.

NBA who? Music streaming popularity is becoming detached from cultural relevance.

In 2020, NBA YoungBoy made almost as much as Taylor Swift did in streaming revenue.

In 2019, the rapper hit #1 on the Billboard 200 and then twice again in 2020, making him the only artist (besides Taylor Swift)  to do so in the last three years.

Despite these impressive statistics, NBA YoungBoy is far from a household name. His megastar-level streaming accomplishments aren’t translating into general megastardom.
Sheldon Pearce of The New Yorker describes this as “invisible music stardom.” One driver of the phenomenon, he says, is the “gap between what is promoted and what is popular.”

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Hook 'Em 1

He obviously shifted to grifting on stupid Republicans. I used to listen to his stuff when he promoted legitimate scientists and authors and not just steroid freaked lunatics and conspiracy nut jobs. 

He had many episodes with Sean Carroll, NGT, Roger Penrose, etc. that had legitimately good information from his guests. He was always a dumbass but he admitted he was a dumbass and mostly asked stuff related to their publishings and let them speak. Had some good episodes with the likes of Bill Burr and other comedians too. 

Now he's shifted to being no better than Hannity and the other republican idiocy grifters out there in the media. 

17 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

or purposely steer you away from the cooler with the craft beer and setting you upon the one stocked with Natty Light

The trick is to put all your good beer in the bottom of the cooler and put some Natty lights layered on the top.  Works perfectly at tailgate, backyard BBQ's, or at the lake.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

Oh, the world will keep spinning. That’s absolutely true. People will survive. Life will go on. All of that was true before the rise of fascism in Europe, before psychotic totalitarian regimes built on a relentless cascade of lies and demonization of the other by a cult leader personality took power, resulting in millions of dead people and untold suffering.

We’ll survive. The questions are how much and how awfully we’re going to suffer to get from here to there. I’ve read the books that describe the script we’re following. They tell me that the answers to my questions are “a lot, and pretty awfully.” I’m not looking into a crystal ball. I’m looking at a story that’s already been written, several times, and reading it right off the page.

I was always a Carlin fan. I used to think he exaggerated for comedic effect,  but whether he did or not he had America nailed pretty well. I remembered this from a long time ago, and what he said from the 3:00 mark on really stuck with me. It eventually became the outlook I took through the whole Trump fiasco and everything that comes after it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This is complete 100% bullshit.

That said, Young is guilty of embracing or ignoring science due to politics.  I don't understand how you can be anti-GMO and pro-vaccine.  Well, I can, because this country is full of comically hypocritical people.  We're just used to mocking the right wing ones more.

Neil Young is a certified badass all time rock and roll great with a handful of suspect opinions.  I'm bummed that he pulled his music off Spotify, but I own his best albums (On The Beach, Tonight's the Night) already anyway.

Lulz. I was going to post this. That Monsanto song/album was shit anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bravo said:

While we are talking about the bad influence of people's ideas on a mass. Can we censor Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto? The ideas from that book has killed millions. 

Go for it.  If you think that a particular party on a particular platform is causing actual harm by disseminating information that is reasonably connected to actual harm, by all means: rally people around your concerns, and share your feelings with the platform, asking them to do the responsible thing and moderate/limit that harmful content.

Your efforts will either gain traction, or they won't.  And if you think platforms haven't been getting such pressure since the dawn of time (think a shitload of hand-scrawled angry letters to newspapers telling them that their article or editorial on X is poisoning minds), then you have zero awareness.

You know what makes this even FUNNIER?  The exact same crowd screaming bug-eyed about how concerned physicians calling for a platform to limit someone disseminating vaccine disinformation to millions......are perfectly happy siding with politicians (read: the government) calling for and GETTING book bans from libraries.  Right now, in real-time, we are experiencing a wave of book-banning by actual governmental entities, at the urging of the right wing.

It seems pretty clear that the right doesn't have ANY problem with quashing content and ideas, including actually having the government be the actor doing so....so long as they are the RIGHT ideas being quashed.  Irony, still dead, still buried.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Captainant said:

Tbh nothing beats a good battery pack, especially now that bricks have USB-PD and can deliver 65W of power. The same brick I keep in my backpack can recharge my laptop, cell phone, and all the other devices I have. Super handy while traveling 

Where are you traveling that has such shitty electricity you are going to drain all that crap before being able to find a plug?

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

He obviously shifted to grifting on stupid Republicans. I used to listen to his stuff when he promoted legitimate scientists and authors and not just steroid freaked lunatics and conspiracy nut jobs. 

He had many episodes with Sean Carroll, NGT, Roger Penrose, etc. that had legitimately good information from his guests. He was always a dumbass but he admitted he was a dumbass and mostly asked stuff related to their publishings and let them speak. Had some good episodes with the likes of Bill Burr and other comedians too. 

Now he's shifted to being no better than Hannity and the other republican idiocy grifters out there in the media. 

This is how I feel. He used to have smart people on and just sit there and listen, chiming in with "wow" or a good question they could tee off on. Basically ever since he hit Spotify, he has almost entirely shifted away from that. The few guests he has had on in that vein since have all tried to challenge his views and he simply is no longer listening. It's sad, the podcast used to be legitimately good with sprinklings of shitty guests.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, Captainant said:

Tbh nothing beats a good battery pack, especially now that bricks have USB-PD and can deliver 65W of power. The same brick I keep in my backpack can recharge my laptop, cell phone, and all the other devices I have. Super handy while traveling 

I keep a compact one in my truck than can jump start a tractor and charge your shit for days.  

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is how I feel. He used to have smart people on and just sit there and listen, chiming in with "wow" or a good question they could tee off on. Basically ever since he hit Spotify, he has almost entirely shifted away from that. The few guests he has had on in that vein since have all tried to challenge his views and he simply is no longer listening. It's sad, the podcast used to be legitimately good with sprinklings of shitty guests.

Why does there appear to be an increasing number of Americans who feel the need to be led/influenced by personalities who are coming out of the woodwork?

13 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why does there appear to be an increasing number of Americans who feel the need to be led/influenced by personalities who are coming out of the woodwork?

because tv fame pre-~2010 = internet fame post ~2010 (date arbitrary - pick one that suits you). internet stardom is the new tv stardom because it's new biggest/best/easiest to access platform for consumable media

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

because tv fame pre-~2010 = internet fame post ~2010 (date arbitrary - pick one that suits you). internet stardom is the new tv stardom because it's new biggest/best/easiest to access platform for consumable media

Perhaps, but the people doing the “leading” are no more intelligent or informed than those who seem to hang on their every word.

18 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Only sheep still listen to the "establishment." Critical thinkers prefer to blindly follow the first well-produced YouTube video they find that supports what they want to be true.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Only sheep still listen to the "establishment." Critical thinkers prefer to blindly follow the first well-produced YouTube video they find that supports what they want to be true.

Critical thinkers are taught to be inquisitive, which is a trait that doesn’t lend itself to mindless devotion.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

22 minutes ago, Satchel said:

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Perhaps, but the people doing the “leading” are no more intelligent or informed than those who seem to hang on their every word.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

kim kardashian is a billionaire based on internet influence.

when they said the internet would change everything, this is kind of what they meant. there's plenty of good to come from it, but there's a bunch of shit too. 

@Brisketexan had a really interesting post about weirdo conspiracy people at gun shows with pamphlets. alex jones started off on cable fucking access here in austin, and i used to watch him while getting drunk or stoned in my dorm room. his audience probably numbered in the hundreds, with most of us watching to mock him. (side note, austin cable access in the 90s was fucking badass, shoutout puppetose). 

however, once he platformed up his prisonplanet website, he started gaining plenty of traction and went national. 

the audience hasn't changed, and i think that's the point a lot of folks are missing. the audience was always there, it was just highly fragmented between local crackpots. now they can glom onto anyone clever enough to tell them what they want to hear. it's really not hard, just look at alex's roadmap. and it's strange, to me, at least, because joe seems to want to follow alex's roadmap, when he already had a fantastic thing going and he's got more money that he could possibly spend already. as he's gotten richer, he's gotten increasingly out of touch.

i guess that's what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

It seems to be as simple as appearing to know what you’re talking about even when you don’t. Trump, Jones, Rogan and the late Limbaugh come to mind.

maybe, maybe not.

hot takes have always been a thing in popular media. 

jimmy the greek got fired not for an off-the-cuff comment, but a fucking produced segment that everyone should've known was racist and horrible. but they thought they were giving their audience what they wanted.

hell, go back and watch some john lydon's bbc interviews. those stuffy commentators had no idea what they were dealing with:

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, Captainant said:

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I keep a compact one in my truck than can jump start a tractor and charge your shit for days.  

Need recs since my last one dies and there are a lot of sketchy ones out there.  I need one that can jump my 69 Mustang since the alternator is old.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, Bama Chick said:

I read somewhere Rogan manbaby fanbois have extraordinarily tiny dicks.

Sounds true and scientific to me.

Therefore, from now on, whenever I read one of his manbaby fans’ white knighting screeds, I will be laughing to myself about their tiny little dicks.

So, when you say tiny, you're talking about really tiny, like less than 6 inches, right?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

hell, go back and watch some john lydon's bbc interviews.

Whether you like him, hate him or are completely bored by him, Lydon is the exact same person today.  No dramatic epiphany or apology letters or crisis management teams in need of employ.  He's the embodiment of consistent integrity.  Maybe a snot-nosed brand of integrity, but integrity nonetheless.  Whenever he has the potential to gain modern fame he destroys it.  And if you forget about him for too long he'll remind you he's there.  

People got chapped when he donned a MAGA hat.  I thought it was hilarious when I remembered that he's now a U.S. citizen and residing in Southern California.  Wherever Lydon lives, guess which direction he's gonna travel every time?  Against the current.  Put him in the middle of Mississippi and see what he expresses. 

There's a fairly recent video of him travelling around London on a bus and doing commentary on architecture.  He's hilarious.  The same kid in an old man suit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

It seems to be as simple as appearing to know what you’re talking about even when you don’t. Trump, Jones, Rogan and the late Limbaugh come to mind.

The current standard bearer is this charlatan hand-waving shoveler of pure word salad bullshit.

image.jpeg.f42a90eb0489e5ebc5e1c5155b1aecf6.jpeg

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you're comparing apples and oranges. normalized over a year they would be -800% or some shit.

Well, this week certainly didn’t help them pull out of their nosedive. If keeping Rogan is completely responsible for this, then I couldn’t even imagine their stock after pulling their #1 podcast. Yikes.